Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update, 1st July 2013

it's not a new game, getting as many players (paid or froob) in the beta is gonna cut down on how long it needs beta testing. the whole point of beta testing is to find all the bugs and issues, the more people testing the better.
    limiting it to current paid, or loyal players is a bad idea, I doubt there are enough paid players that would beta test. allowing all current paid and froob in the beta will provide the most diverse hardware array for testing.
    †IC XC†
    †NI KA†

Littlepistol 200/30/52 MP
    Idontknowu 220/30/70 MP
    Kurratica 150/20/22 Crat

“Political language ...is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” -George Orwell

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Yes, its a beta test.. the expectation is that it's not working 100%. Some people don't care for beta testing but those that would be interested in doing so should be given the opportunity. And.. please keep in mind that someone that isn't currently paid isn't necessarily some old player that hasn't been around in years. I took a 9 month leave myself, but that doesn't mean I wasn't keeping up with what was going on in the game or that I was out of date in any way.

And, again, don't forget the froob AO population that would be excluded if only paid players were issued beta invites.

Historically, the best time to discuss something is way before funcom does it with the hopes they take some of the chatter into consideration when making decisions.
    Since when did saying something was beta make people accept that it wasn't bugfree? But then, that's why you have a "closed" beta, to iron out the worst kink by using fewer testers, in order to expose the issues to the fewest users before pushing it live.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Wait, is beta's not supposed to be bug free !? Someone ought to tell the internet forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Since when did saying something was beta make people accept that it wasn't bugfree? But then, that's why you have a "closed" beta, to iron out the worst kink by using fewer testers, in order to expose the issues to the fewest users before pushing it live.
    Not going to keep going back and forth. I respect your opinion as it is and appreciate your input/response to my post even though I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Not going to keep going back and forth. I respect your opinion as it is and appreciate your input/response to my post even though I disagree.
    /crowd chanting fight fight fight ! =)

By live I meant open, or more inclusive, beta. Sorry for any confusion.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by djcenox View Post
    What about steam integration? Not that i really like steam, but steam integration or origin integration would be an extremely nice thing to involve new ppl.
    Funcom is already on Steam. TSW was in the Steam Summer Sale this last weekend ($15 dollars - pretty good deal). There are many other free-to-play games on Steam, including f2p MMORPGs like Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Putting AO onto Steam would be trivial, and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't been done already.

Quote Originally Posted by Johtan View Post
    Funcom is already on Steam. TSW was in the Steam Summer Sale this last weekend ($15 dollars - pretty good deal). There are many other free-to-play games on Steam, including f2p MMORPGs like Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Putting AO onto Steam would be trivial, and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't been done already.
    the steam overlay crashes AO is the reason, id imagine theyll work on it for when NPE is ready to go live itd be a good time to go on steam i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Outside of the game, you may have noticed that anarchy-online.com is once again getting regular updates, now that we finally remembered where we left the keys to the website.
    Still waiting for the dev team to find the keys to the new engine
    Proctorial 220/30/70 Crat setup
    Freedonnadd 220/30/70 MA setup
    Patentia 220/30/70 Engi setup

Raidwipe 220/30/70 Doc
    ····crat··cratcrat···········crat·····cratcratcrat
    ·crat·····crat···crat······cratcrat·······crat
    crat······cratcrat·······crat····crat·····crat
    ·crat·····crat··crat····crat·crat·crat····crat
    ····crat··crat····crat··crat······crat····crat

--------------- ··· The One Profession ··· ------------------
    Oh no! A crat sprung! It's crawling with crats! You failed disarming the crat!
    MassDestruct 200/20 NT · Goonish 60 Enfo saved on newbie island o.o

NPE and advertising on steam may be at one time. But its crucial to get all things well done with NPE. IN times when AO started, players liked to discover how to play a game, game functions, actions ect. Now most people online have their habits from other games and AO at current state is just awfull for newcomers. FC made many mistakes along the line. Keep in mind, that GUIDE from BackYards was never introduced on newbie island (figures), then they took ICC shuttleport and all new players are cluless and therefore, they quit game before they learn its beauty.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

I find the beta discussion a bit unnecessary.
    We already have a perfectly good enviroment to test new features. Testlive.
    It's voluntary and the "cheating" aspect keeps the gameplay from being taken too seriously.
    So people can focus on the changes. Wether those changes made sense in the past is a different cookie.

Besides that what really bothers me is this:
    After 9 years of playing i still got the impression that absolutely noone at FunCom is able to take a step back and take an unbiased, objective look at their game.
    They are not able to put themself in a new player's shoes...

If they could .. they would put alot more effort on accessability and information flow.
    I do not mean dumbing anything down.
    But explain it properly!

So the website is getting updates again .. thank you ... TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH!? oO
    Meanwhile the random asian hookerdollgameMMO gets updates twice a day.

The NPE will help new players get into the game better?
    Well that's great... will see how that works out.

In the meantime how about spending a FRACTION of the effort and changing the default layout of the GUI presented to players?
    It's an absolute catastrophy. All the actually usefull things are disabled by default, the stuff that is there is arranged horribly inefficient
    and there's no way of telling how to switch what on and off other than "accidentally" hitting the F10 key and exploring the options yourself...
    That's not a learning curve, it's a brickwall inside an obstacle course!

And then there's the market/shop system.
    What you couldn't come up with your own interface so you went html?
    That's just flatout incompetent ... and slow ... and ugly ... and restrictive ... did i mention slow?

There are so many EASY ways to improve this game it just puzzles my mind that there doesn't seem to be one rational being in funcom's management to say "Go do it!".

/rant

Origin is superior to steam in various regards. It's the same thing.
    The Red Brotherhood

thats highly debatable, on number of games available alone origin is inferior to steam and id argue theirs more quality games on steam but then i havent really liked anything ea have made since red alert 3 so i might be a little biased, all i know is getting ao involved with EA will make me like it a little less

But then, who cares about that in this day and age of infinite computing power and space?
    The Red Brotherhood

Yes, HTML based server lists, spyware and atrocious customer support sure are superior
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Yes, HTML based server lists, spyware and atrocious customer support sure are superior
    So you mean like Steam? I mean, sure you can come with your dumb story and I can come with mine, but fact of the matter is that both are pretty much the same, only one is slightly further ahead in the development of certain parts.
    The Red Brotherhood

But then, who cares about that in this day and age of infinite computing power and space?
    well the effect of running both while neglible for my setup no computer has infinite power or storage but that wasnt my point, its annoying as a user for me to have 2 programs that do the same damn thing just cause EA want more money as if recyling the same game annually isnt enough they require me to install a program just for their games, unlike steam it doesnt have convenience on its side its just annoying

So you mean like Steam? I mean, sure you can come with your dumb story and I can come with mine, but fact of the matter is that both are pretty much the same, only one is slightly further ahead in the development of certain parts.
    yes thats pretty much my point, they are the same i only want steam and ea not making games available on steam means i dont buy those games

Quote Originally Posted by blindio View Post
    well the effect of running both while neglible for my setup no computer has infinite power or storage but that wasnt my point, its annoying as a user for me to have 2 programs that do the same damn thing just cause EA want more money as if recyling the same game annually isnt enough they require me to install a program just for their games, unlike steam it doesnt have convenience on its side its just annoying
    There's a hundred digital outlets now a days, and several of them have clients you need to install. It's not like it's alien or moneygrabbing or anything in any way. Just stop being silly and accept that you can't get every product in every store.
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    P.S. Thanks for all the well wishes for my daughter. Her name is Zoe - and she will be a clanner.
    +1

Awesome mate, Im sure the clanners will keep her safe from the omni plague that infests the free lands of Ka!
    Opsund 220/30 Ma
    Xandathrii 220/30 Enf
    Vekten 220/30 Doc

Lifdrasil 100/10 Eng

Retired General of Ascension, enjoying my elder days and the end of AO in The Asylum.(Currently of-world , but comming back soon(TM)
    Stop the inflation and madness, support my Tier 4 crusade

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast