Thread: Fix the QL range of items in Inferno Catacombs

Fix the QL range of items in Inferno Catacombs

So..someone decided to choose the Inferno Catacomb SL elite daily the other night resulting in a team of friends going in to help them kill. To be honest, we were bored.. figured.. "why not" since people generally don't go there.

The team:
    - 220 Doc
    - 220 Sold
    - 220 Shade
    - 220 MA
    - 220 Fixer
    - 220 Crat

Honestly, the team make-up was strong.. though tbh, we would've been better served to just go take out beast rather than waste our time in there.

Looking at the map, there appeared to be 10 bosses in inferno catacombs. We killed 7 of them. We received one QL 300 eye of the evening star, and one QL 300 smg gun of some sort (I can't remember the name). ALL of the other loot was ql as low as 190ish through 250ish. I understand the need to have a variety in your loot table but the QL of the items dropping is WAY off. I get better QL items from Pen cata bosses.

The difficulty of inferno catacombs is not a joke. It literally took our team of 6 to get through there and the bosses in the larger room had hp bars that were about the same as a Pande Zod. If I kill a level 60 RK dyna I expect to get loot in the ql of about 50ish to 70ish. If I kill a level 200 dyna I'm expecting 190-200. In other words, killing increasingly more difficult mobs results in increasingly more valuable/higher ql loot.

I'm guessing that not many people even bother with inferno catacombs for many reasons including the fact that blue glyphs can just be looted in pande rather than put together from inf cata items. BUT, the other significant issue is that if you want high ql rings it is simply easier to farm lord of the void or even Pen Cata bosses than to do Inferno Catacombs.

Please fix. Personally, I think it would be fun to run through inferno catas at times.. but to go through that effort for such crappy reward is a bit disheartening. I would imagine you don't get a lot of complaints about that area simply because no one ever goes.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Having never spent any times in cats after Scheol, I'm curious to know if you think - crappy loot notwithstanding - if the Inf cats are more end-game than Pande. I guess I"m talking about difficulty and the need for a diverse team. (Though I suspect there isn't much need for team diversity anywhere at this point....)
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Having never spent any times in cats after Scheol, I'm curious to know if you think - crappy loot notwithstanding - if the Inf cats are more end-game than Pande. I guess I"m talking about difficulty and the need for a diverse team. (Though I suspect there isn't much need for team diversity anywhere at this point....)
    I think you must have heals a tank and mezzer but which professions you choose for this are pretty open. The mezzer is really the key link here as it is very easy, in several areas, to be overcome by 2 or 3 adds.. and that could be enough to wipe a group.

I'm not sure if I'd say its 'more' endgame than Pande though the bosses in the 'big rooms' were comparable to a Zod. The big difference being.. all of the surrounding adds were mezzable, no pinks healing or CH blocking mobs, etc. So I guess this would be a Pande-lite area.

I made a joke when we were heading out that I think I'll make a "Survivor" type exercise for the newer/less experienced TL7's in my org as pre-training on the basics before they hit raid areas like pande/apf/xan/etc. While I was technically kidding.. it wouldn't be a bad idea except the loot is so crappy that it really would just be an exercise in teamwork.
    You can find me at:

Loot drops in +-20% QL of the mobs level. Working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    Loot drops in +-20% QL of the mobs level. Working as intended.
    It is not 'working as intended' even in terms of the game mechanics you posted above as 190ish items were dropping off QL 250 bosses. 250-50 (20%) = 200.

To any effect.. even QL 200 is too low imo for a zone of that difficulty. I guess my point here is that the difficulty of that zone warrants them making a change to whatever backend equation they're using. QL 250 should be the minimum Ql you get for an item that drops there.
    Last edited by Traderjill; May 1st, 2012 at 16:15:51.
    You can find me at:

If you had a MP it would be far more easier :P And actually its the only diference between Inf Cata and Pand in dificult.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    If you had a MP it would be far more easier :P And actually its the only diference between Inf Cata and Pand in dificult.
    I probably hijacked my own thread with too much explanation. The difficulty wasn't the issue.. the loot ql is the problem.
    You can find me at:

I think cata mobs HP need serious nerfing.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

All of the catas need a serious overhaul. Probably the hardest thing to do for obsolete gear.
    Waiting for a cure.

Posted about catas in another thread and just remembered.. this still needs fixing!
    You can find me at:

i dual loged my keeper+crat down there, cant say it was that hard to kill the bosses. i skipped the first ones and went for the big boss in the end with 2 side bosses. i got a few ql 300 stuff. i killed bosses and logged out for 20 mins and they were respawnd.

so if we want higher ql loot to dropp they ned to incrase the immunity for mezz and boost nr for debuffs on monsters and atleast boost their dmg to 1000 more than they do now, and i agree to ql 270-300 ish loot chanse.
    Last edited by Le-Quack; Apr 13th, 2014 at 22:41:43.

What Lazy said is true, except it's 25%. 188-312 should be the range from a level 250 mob, which is indeed maybe too big. You have about a 10% chance to get QL300 loot with this range.

Making the range narrower is not the solution if you want high QL loot. If it was +/- 20% instead the loot would be QL200-300, meaning a 1% chance of QL300 loot instead. Any less of a spread than 20% and QL300 loot is completely off the table.

The solution if you want QL300 loot more often is instead to raise the level of the mob.
    Mamman-_ 220/28 Enforcer Pretty!!
    Fluortanten 220/30 Soldier
    Pebble__.i_ 220/27 Shade
    Dogfood_._ 220/23 Agent

Paradise.

STATUS OF KYAI: Not breathing

Keep the hp, raise bosses to lvl 300, easy fix.
    Let's see if they can claim that they don't have the resources to do that...
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Please don't turn my suggestion thread into a stupid argument about whatever you two are arguing about. This thread wasn't started to complain about difficulty AT ALL just a request to have the loot QL of the inferno catacombs not be so similar to that of the penumbra catacombs. Don't know and don't care if someone could solo it, if people have multiple accounts, etc etc. Please stay on topic.

If, in order to increase ql, they need to increase mob level.. fine.. whatever. I happen to like the catacombs and was just asking for a tweak.
    You can find me at:

well trying to say if you want better dropp you ned to get incrased difficulty to earn it. the catacombs was already raided by 220's when shadowlands came out.. now we had 2 expansions and loads of added tools that kinda lowerd the old difficulty

There is already increased difficulty.. in comparison to penumbra, adonis, scheol and ely. That's my point. The further you go up in difficulty, the better the loot. I don't care if teams of level 200's were doing it in 2004.. that doesn't matter. If you look at my original post, I mentioned the loot drops off of 7 mobs. The loot ql is the problem because it really isn't much better (in some cases worse) than the penumbra catacomb drops.

BTW, since my original post 2 years ago, I have gone back to the inferno catas twice and both times yielded about the same results.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Apr 14th, 2014 at 22:14:25.
    You can find me at: