Thread: Monthly Development Update - 28th February 2014

It's awkwardly sweet to see the entire AO community this upset as a single unit, it reminds me of the whole debuff bracers for battlestations era
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Quote Originally Posted by jandraelune View Post
    There are many Fixers that opt out of GA and don't even put points in MC and use those would be points in like RE for Sleek Master Classics. As for people complaining about B&E on a fixer ?? Fixers get the best self buffing through skill color, nanos and items then anyone.
    Prob with a GA armor while fixers have buffs for B&E , any armor with it on is totally useless as GA is a social armor and cant be worned with that, that leaves the BE from ip, implants/symbs, and that buff.

as a whole, its a rather pointless change, people that uploaded GA knew it couldnt be used in shadowland, and that it was worse armor than normal armor plus SWS.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I'm not trying to make it seem like privacy is not valid. I guess I'm just wondering if some perceived sense of privacy is worth all of the upset feelings some of the people in this thread have over the inspect change. What is the harm in someone knowing what gear your toon is wearing? I mean why do you feel that aspect of your toon needs the cover of privacy when things like damage inflicted can be seen in vicinity chat? If you let people see your gear 90% of the time.. why don't you in the 10%? Is it just that you don't like the person and trying to avoid their comments or something else?
    Well... Yeah, the 10% that don't get to look at my wear window are the asshats that I don't like usually. Or the ones that can't form a polite request.
    I guess my problem with the privacy is that it's ME that should get the choice. And that while I generally don't have a problem with people seeing my gear, I don't want people just coming up to me and inspecting me without asking. Privacy AND Politeness...

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Well this falls into my whole "get the idiots out in the open" statement. Put this person on ignore if it bothers you to be laughed at by someone in-game over not having an ACDC. Is it not better to be able to flush out people with this level of anti-social behavior than to have them rolling around secretly and you team them without knowing?
    It didn't bother me, infact we all had quite a good laugh at him and his attitude (he was another one of those that don't ask first too!), kinda sad...
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Strangely I like when people inspect me. I figure they might learn something. Like the existence of an item or how not to be gimp.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Fix the bugs first

I don't understand why FC has the resources for a new graphics engine and very risky gameplay changes but not for painful bugs and glitches that have remained neglected for several years. I would think this was some very low-hanging fruit (minimal cost, maximal benefit):

- Zoning between Clon**** and Lush Fields doesn't even work, constant server zoning failed error messages
    - Stuck in geometry in Omni Forest where you can't even sit down to use /stuck, have to /petition and wait sometimes hours
    - Player cities are gone now leaving behind eye-sores that look like abandoned airfields, but thankfully we can look forward to a new graphics engine that will truly leverage the visual potential of those empty fields redefining the word "barren."
    - Many shops and mission entry points are inaccessible
    - Leaving Omni-Trade to the west gets you stuck in geometry
    - Items randomly disappearing from inventory requiring zoning to fix it, particularly troublesome if they're in your overflow and you can't see them
    - Video framerate tanks in Gas Bladder room of Crypt of Home dungeon
    - Cultists stuck in the walls in Temple of the Winds
    - Mission bosses randomly go AWOL
    - Neural Burnout standing on-top of a bonfire in deep Subway ...nah that's actually kind of funny, leave it like that.

Why would anyone with half-a-brain and a world of MMO-RPG options bother to stick around let alone upgrade to a paid subscription for something they felt wasn't a polished product? I stick around because I tolerate the glitches and find ways around them, do others follow suit? I doubt it. There's lots of competition from the MMO-RPG market and other game genres pining for access to credit cards. Fix the bugs and eliminate needless pain points.

Some of those things will be fixed. Others, like old playfields being buggy with this or that stuck/missing entrance etc., is something that requires re-exporting playfields. Which has potential to totally not work and cause more issues, because old and crummy. New engine though sees all playfields being worked over in some way, and the various old-player city zones will be replaced by old terrain.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    I'm almost exclusively a PvMer, my grief on this is that I don't see WHY they should sit and inspect me. As I've said, what's in my pockets is my business, not anyone elses. If someone really wants to see what's on my char, they can bloody well ask me and I'll decide if I want to let them see.
    I have inspect switched off on ALL my characters, the only time I switch it on is to show someone my setup deliberately, or to be able to see someone elses wear window when I'm helping them twink.
    It's privacy, nothing else. 90% of the time when someone asks if they can inspect, I let them, but when I'm just standing around and someone inspects me without saying anything to me first, I just find that rude...
    I agree 100%
    †IC XC†
    †NI KA†

Littlepistol 200/30/52 MP
    Idontknowu 220/30/70 MP
    Kurratica 150/20/22 Crat

“Political language ...is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” -George Orwell

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    The upcoming 18.7 patch (targeted for Tuesday next week on the closed beta server) has a fairly extensive list of system changes:

- Parry will be replaced by a new defensive stat called Deflect. Deflect will make incoming hits glance. Instead of dealing 100% damage, a glancing hit will only deal 50% of the damage. Glance chance will cap out at 15%. Deflection is NOT considered a melee special and will work on any incoming weapon attack.

- All Signet of the apocalypse rings will no longer have a special action, because of this change, a few nano changes have been made:

• Enforcers, Keepers and Shades will get a root removal nano.
    • Enforcers will get a Charge nano, which will stun their target while the enforcer sprints to it.
    • Shades will get the ability to hide in the middle of combat.
    I'm not sure how to put this, but I've been out of the game for three years and I think I'm more in touch with game mechanics than you appear to be judging from this post.

Why do you think Enforcers need another root removal, as well as a stun + sprint ability to boot? You only forgot to add another init debuff and stun immunity to the new Charge nano. It's not like Enforcers are slow as it is, and have you ever tried rooting/snaring them? Even if it lands through their NR which is for the record pretty much the highest ingame, just Infernal Rage it away!

Secondly, Deflect - cool, but is that really something you want to just ... throw in without any accompanying changes? Do we need another random number generator in the game so a successful offense/defense becomes even more of a gamble, especially against professions that are pretty damn tough to alpha down as it is? And could you give some more details on the process of damage reduction, e.g. is Deflect calculated in before or after 30% caps are applied? How do absorbs fit into this process? Does it work on perks and nano attacks?

Last, why is it that Shades get a vanish-in-combat ability, but Agents can.. well, suck it up? Here I was thinking we were *the* sneaking profession. Something about Ruse of Taren, "native" Aimed Shot users, I dunno.. maybe I was just hallucinating all this time.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I guess pvp is not what it used to be.

pvp has been crap in AO since at least 2004
    †IC XC†
    †NI KA†

Littlepistol 200/30/52 MP
    Idontknowu 220/30/70 MP
    Kurratica 150/20/22 Crat

“Political language ...is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” -George Orwell

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

In my opinion, AO has only two redeeming qualities left:

1. Unique mechanics that allow for twinking your characters - we all tinker with our toons to various degrees and it keeps us busy and interested.

2. A community that is not the usual cesspool that you would find everywhere else.

Our players are on average much older, most are adults, have jobs and some have families. Personally, I don't know anyone anymore who is younger than 21 years, most of my friends are in their thirties or older. Because AO requires patience, dedication, and a lot of do-it-yourself research, dare I say the average IQ of an AO player is probably 20 points higher than in any WoW-type game (certain exceptions apply ).

Aside from those two points, EVERYTHING ELSE has been done better in other games!

Trying to turn AO into a "modern MMO" is going to fail.
    It cannot possibly compete on that playing field, not financially, and not with the very limited staff and resources that FC dedicates to it.
    And even if FC did have the resources, this game is simply not suited for the 14-year old hack-and-slash gamer who expects to be 220/30/70 in a couple of weeks and in full endgame gear in 2 months. After that, he'll be crying for "more content" and will be gone once the next new MMO is released.

However, AO can still compete in its niche!
    Rather than catering to WoW-type players, FC should try to attract AO-type players - they still exists and would come, if they had reason to.
    Somebody of the pro-WoW crowd said, it would be a net gain if we lose 20 players but gain 40 new ones.
    I say, not if the 20 supported the game for a decade and the 40 news ones are gone again just 3 months later!

I welcome most changes as long as they do not restrict tinkering with your toons and/or poisoning the community.
    Mandatory inspect will have very little practical use but it will have a negative social impact.

Sure, inspect COULD be used for good, but it WON'T - every MMO that has it is living proof of that.
    Even if I repeat myself here, look at games that have mandatory inspect and understand what it is used for:

It doesn't catch cheaters, it doesn't help newbies and it doesn't attract new players!
    It is simply a tool to discriminate for all the wrong reasons and it will turn the community toxic.
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

Quote Originally Posted by crimson View Post
    pvp has been crap in AO since at least 2004
    PVM even worse play a big 4 prof to do anything or shoot self in head. Whole game is trash at this point.

Herp
    Last edited by Herkulease; Mar 4th, 2014 at 02:03:09.
    Herk Mad! Herk Crush!!

Main: Herkulease

Alts:
    Toba
    Cosmicmayhem
    Wantsumore
    Blessfu

Did anyone notice they're disabling the "Disable Inspect" option?
    Also, all profs are OP.

This Deflect crap should be Keeper only, god knows the profession needs this sort of crap.

Aside from the usual suspects, very few people seem happy with the proposed changes. Not here, and especially not on other community sites (unofficial FB for one). I don't expect the complaints to have one iota of impact on FC as they never have before.

Vote with your wallet, that is the only thing they understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lupusceleri View Post
    Why do you think Enforcers need another root removal, as well as a stun + sprint ability to boot? You only forgot to add another init debuff and stun immunity to the new Charge nano. It's not like Enforcers are slow as it is, and have you ever tried rooting/snaring them? Even if it lands through their NR which is for the record pretty much the highest ingame, just Infernal Rage it away!
    I'd say rage is about to get canned, which would be a huge change for enforcers but perhaps justified as rage is indeed quite OP. If rage stays, I fully agree with everything you said about enfs.

The wording that we get a new root removal because we lose a self root from the signet ring is kinda strange
    Mamman-_ 220/28 Enforcer Pretty!!
    Fluortanten 220/30 Soldier
    Pebble__.i_ 220/27 Shade
    Dogfood_._ 220/23 Agent

Paradise.

STATUS OF KYAI: Not breathing

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    I'd say rage is about to get canned, which would be a huge change for enforcers but perhaps justified as rage is indeed quite OP. If rage stays, I fully agree with everything you said about enfs.

The wording that we get a new root removal because we lose a self root from the signet ring is kinda strange
    Well, even if Rage gets canned - which seems kind of unlikely to me - Enforcers still don't need another stun.

But yes, the current wording that it replaces the signet ring action doesn't make sense at all.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

As Grid Armor is going to be viable for SL too now, perhaps FC will think of putting GA5 ingame? after all the only reason it never went live was the community telling FC they were giving Fixers a useless nano, which of course it was at the time.
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

GA in SL just practically flips the bird at AOs lore. :P
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

You can just write something like "Uber fixer discovers how to hack into communication signals running through the shadowlands to Rubi-Ka, enabling him to wear his grid-armor". Fixed!
    The Red Brotherhood

Page 15 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast