Thread: Soldier Questions

Question Soldier Questions

I've been playing the game for a few weeks now, and I've got some questions about a recent problem. I usually run small group missions with another friend of mine that started a Nano-tech at the same time I started my Soldier. Right now we are both level 48.

The NT is maxed on his nano skills and is using some heavy nukes, so I'm having difficulty keeping aggro when the NT is on full agg, and I'd like to change that. So, several questions.

1) I have a level 40-ish Da Taunter equipped in Util-3 slot. Do I have to do anything to activate it? Or does it just do its thing as I fight?

2) I haven't spent a lot of IP on keeping Nano skills up. Are the aggro nano's worth expending the IP?

3) I'm currently dual-wielding Sleekmaster Classics (QL 74, QL 46) with Burst, should I be wielding something different to increase damage / aggro?

4) Do wen-wens do anything other than look strange? I can see no effect now that I've equipped one.

Right now we are compensating by having him slow his casting down using the agg/def slider.

Any and all help appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I don't know about numbers 2 and 3, but here's 1 and 4:

1. You have to use Da Taunter, by targeting the mob you wish to anger and right clicking on Da Taunter. (You can also place a shortcut to Da Taunter in your shortcut bar and hit the number to use it.)

4. Wen-wens give you the stat boost they mention, but they appear to be broken currently. Eventually, they should start doing the damage mentioned in their description.

hmm

02) Yes. When your in a team situation you want the agro especially if your the main tank. Nanos are tough to raise, and you should focus first on your weapons, second on nanos. If you cant hold agro, your group will boot you, or it will disentigrate. Your job is to piss off mobs, do allot of damage, and smile in the face of danger... Your a soldier!

03) You want to increase your damage. Use this Weapon Evaluator it will tell you what weapons work best, or at least give you a heads up. As a soldier you should have a full auto type weapon, FA can do up to 10k damage at higher levels. But personal choice is also important... So they say

Good luck
    Quinn Erorr Cratty

Quinn glares, "You have failed me for the last time Janitor Bob!"

One note on the weapon evaluator. The script that does the calculations for this page was written back in the days when the old LLTS crit scopes still dropped. The built-in assumption is that you'll crit about 25% of the time. Drop that down to 3% if you're not using any scopes or crit buffs, it'll give a much more reliable result that way.

Attack rating by the way is calculated from your relevant attack skills, and the same weapon will do more damage with a higher attack rating than with a lower one. For example, if your pistol skill is 90 and the weapon attacks off 100% pistol, then your attack rating is 90. If the weapon is 67% Ranged Energy/33% Pistol and you only have a Ranged Energy skill of 60, your final attack rating will be 70 (67% of 60 + 33% of 90).

Cheers,

~R~

1. Another note about Da Taunter - it has a very short range. You need to be standing almost on top of the mob to use it.

2. I have not played a soldier to high level, but every soldier I've teamed with says their taunting nanos are useless. I would suggest looking for info in the soldier forum on this one before spending IP on these nanos.

3. Most soldiers your level go with a Nova Flow - Mk IV. The general consensus on dual wielding is that if you have to go with a low QL weapon in the off hand, then your damage actually drops instead of increases. You'll probably do slightly better damage if you drop your off-hand sleekmaster. Even so, the nova flow will probably give you better results.

4. already covered.

I'd suggest bringing these issues up further on the soldier forum for more in depth answers. Also, I would suggest that your frien look around the NT forum. Part of the problem is that some (maybe all) NT nukes have taunts built into them, so they cause more aggro than they might based just on their damage output. Perhaps someone on the NT forum would be able to help with tactics or nano selection. For instance, if the NT has aggro, he might be able to get rid of aggro by stopping his attack and calming the mob - when you attack it you should get aggro back.
    Heals - they're not just for tradeskills anymore
    Hypos omni doc RK2 <-- stupid enough to have thought that going past level 150 would help her be a better doc
    Phlair omni mp RK2 solo char
    Nerfbat omni enf RK2 awarded the hammer of braveness
    Shadow Ops