Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Teasing engine-teaser is teasing

Quote Originally Posted by landdog View Post
    IMPORTANT QUESTION NEVER READ BY ME BEFORE

I understand that you can't update how Aztur looks, but with a new engine, will we see awesome looking bosses with new textures in new encounters post engine patch? To make it more clear... A new instance which will be introduced after the new engine, will be on par with AoC/TSW on every graphical detail? Cause if the engine allows it, it will still mean that you're launching AO2, just that it's completely empty at start.
    Short answer :NO!

Long answer: This is not a full graphics overhaul. It's just the rendering-ending: we will have an upgraded "drawing engine". That's it. They are upgrading the part that displays the graphical assets (images) on your screen.

However, they are updating some graphic assets, but they're just the must-haves to ensure cohesiveness for what is displayed on the screen.

To get to the eye-candy level or AoC/TSW/EVE means a complete and thorough overhaul of ALL graphic assets of the game which will take a a handful of people years to complete.

The positive side of the engine upgrade is that it may generate more positive cash-flow for the AO team together with the rebalancing act and newbie startup experience. Thus, if AO starts bringing in more money and FC sees a future for this game, they may accept to expand the team which will end up with speeding up all sorts of improvements to the game including gradually upgrading the assets quality.

EVE has more people in their engine team than the entire AO team. Hell, EVE managed to get nVidia to help them with integrating tesellation in their games' engine. That's a serious effort on CCPs part and means the kind of money power AO team won't have any time soon.
    Last edited by Khlin; Mar 30th, 2012 at 08:08:39.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    im wondering how can you make omni ent look any better than whats shown on the video?
    It looks great for 2007.

I'm wondering if you're expecting everyone to play only in Omni Ent?

Would be nice to start beta tests of this.

So far, knowing how long work is in progress, seeing not much of videos, screens, ETA of new engine seems to be end of this year, at best.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    So far, knowing how long work is in progress, seeing not much of videos, screens, ETA of new engine seems to be end of this year, at best.
    Hahaha good one ^^
    Xarr 220/30/70 Atrox Keeper
    Xarrdas 220/30/70 Solitus Engineer
    Wrathwithin 220/26/70 Atrox Agent
    Drimarcus 220/22/60 Opifex Shade
    Mycurse 214/18/42 Solitus Soldier
    Backend 150/20/40 Opifex MA
    Leethium 200/20/60 Opifex Bureaucrat

In the interviews I noticed lindelu was talking about a lot of changes coming "this year". This is by no means a deadline of course, but it shows the timeframe she (and the rest of the team, I guess) has in mind. I personally don't expect them to deliver any of the big 3 in 2012, but heh, let's be positive and hope they can pull it off.
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post
    Short answer :NO!

Long answer: This is not a full graphics overhaul. It's just the rendering-ending: we will have an upgraded "drawing engine". That's it. They are upgrading the part that displays the graphical assets (images) on your screen.
    Yeah, their are just trying to make old data works in new engine right now. But I think, that they will later add option to use new data formats so they can reuse some theme neutral content like walls, trees, rocks etc. They can steel many things like buildings from TSW (modern + conspiracy theme). It would be stupid, if they wouldn't do it.
    Dragocz RK1

Quote Originally Posted by Thorneee View Post
    In the interviews I noticed lindelu was talking about a lot of changes coming "this year".
    Yeah, but lacking the video, we couldnt see what year she was pointing at on the century calendar
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragocze View Post
    Yeah, their are just trying to make old data works in new engine right now. But I think, that they will later add option to use new data formats so they can reuse some theme neutral content like walls, trees, rocks etc. They can steel many things like buildings from TSW (modern + conspiracy theme). It would be stupid, if they wouldn't do it.
    That's what I'm asking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    It looks great for 2007.

I'm wondering if you're expecting everyone to play only in Omni Ent?
    i took omni ent as an example because there isnt many ways to make it look better.
    but what is missing in AOs future engine that makes it look outdated?
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    but what is missing in AOs future engine that makes it look outdated?
    Nothing, it's been said dozens of times already, the Dreamworld engine is cutting edge, but the old assets and models may disappoint some people.
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Thorneee View Post
    Nothing, it's been said dozens of times already, the Dreamworld engine is cutting edge, but the old assets and models may disappoint some people.
    And on the bright side, all new assets that we make will be targeted towards the new engine. The new player experience is a good exampleof this. Although in the case of the tutorial, the artists are also making versions of the new assets that are compatible with the old engine (it's far easier to go from a complex asset to a simple asset than vice-versa) -- and this is just to allow us the option of releasing the new player experience ahead of the engine.

All you need to do is get Nvidia to apply all their wonderful tessellation to flat basic surfaces, and you can get the same flat surfaces that have millions of triangles and performs like ****, but hey it's just like modern titles now!

And they'll even do it for free!

Wow, I am amazed! Amazed how long it took to make that little video clip.

One thing i noticed is the dust blowing through Wartorn Valley...It reminded me of how the smoke in Inferno used to look several years ago.

Is there any chance we'll get a peek at inferno in the new engine soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaliya View Post
    this is just to allow us the option of releasing the new player experience ahead of the engine.
    I think that would actually be a great idea, particularly on testlive. It will take people quite a while to try out a few different professions in it and I daresay a lot of feedback and useful suggestions would come out of giving it a good run on testlive before a final version goes live.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    I think that would actually be a great idea, particularly on testlive. It will take people quite a while to try out a few different professions in it and I daresay a lot of feedback and useful suggestions would come out of giving it a good run on testlive before a final version goes live.
    Fyi the new player experience is just a new noob island, not the rebalance

Plz change the horrible models on rk like fossegrim and hammerhead, tnx.

Badorde 220/30 ranger troxer adphy
    Mindsphere 220/30 soli crattikus
    Crowey 220/30 nindja tr0xs healthgivas
    Badorder 220/30 pewpew troks reflector
    Badodor 220/30 tarder

Quote Originally Posted by Ayada View Post
    Fyi the new player experience is just a new noob island, not the rebalance
    he is referring to the announcement, that the new player experience will be a bit different for every profession.
    220 Agent + :: 220 Doctor + :: 220 Soldier + :: 220 Enforcer + :: 220 Bureaucrat + :: 217 Adventurer + :: 217 Trader + :: 159 Engineer :: 112 Fixer

Inferno Travelguides

Quote Originally Posted by MyGift View Post
    I would rly want to see AO servers full again with alot of ppl online to do stuff with and for me AO is/was/will be the best game ever made, but i doubt that's possible with options ppl have now when they decide to pay 15$ / month for MMO.
    It's enough players to play the game with and many wants to play along with teamates.

Sadly the team-experience has to compete with dailies, kite/ost and lack of profession-developement.

The main issues is imo spreading, play-seperation of rewards and experience, bad implementations of expansions to the game and things like collector....these things makes the game looks more dead than it really is. Char-progression stagnates and the means of char-customation is not currently produced into the gameworld when players play.

It's a great edit on the video, but I think what AO got for itself is the game-mechanics, the story and the cyberpunktheme, the professions that already exists (the rebalance is a really bald move I think, hope they reconsider it), the twinking (if you noticed, people who wanna play AO often do it cause they wanna make X profession, with X setup and X weapons) so I think they should work with making AO into a more cohesive experience and more accessible for newcomers...not just several seperate grinds/expansions. T

They could start working with improving the gaming-experience soundwise, scenographicly, voiceacting, animations etc cause as many others have mentioned...a new graphic engine will just make AO look more pretty and neat.

Stuff like rk-missions may be outdated encounterwise, but AO's skill-system certainly is not.

AO is the most complex and advanced game outhere imo
    Last edited by leetlover; Apr 7th, 2012 at 08:23:44.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Silly question btw, but; will a new engine improve swimming and flying-simulation?
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast