Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - May 31st, 2013

Funcom employee

That Pandemonium screen is looking gorgeous.

*makes grabbie hands*
    Amber "Morteia" Grant
    Funcom Community Manager
    Part-time nanobot
    Tweetin' About the Anarchy
    The Book of Many Faces
    Everyday I'm Google-in'

And now people know why i've been harrasing Borealis more than usual now

Quote Originally Posted by AstralEcho View Post
    1) Are there any exclusive items in the new tutorial that I'll be angsty about not being able to acquire on my main for social? :P
    Laughed! You was getting so annoyed the another night it was funny
    Last edited by Agentcora; May 31st, 2013 at 17:53:35.
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Sooo.. what new in those screens? grass? where did new lightning/god rays go?
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

Great. Just great. Finally get a chance to kick the Omni goons outta my home town only to have the Clanner goons think they can move in and corner OUR turf! Not flamin' likely...
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Honestly, the pande screen looks like a normal pande screen to me. Someone prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    Honestly, the pande screen looks like a normal pande screen to me. Someone prove me wrong.
    No, you're pretty on point there. There's a hint of the new lighting effects in both screenshots, and obviously the grass and water are present in the Longest Road screenshot, but neither are really showing off the new engine in a way that's exciting or even highly noticeable.

The big two things I took away from the screens were:

1) The Longest Road screenshot looks like it has a longer rendering distance for ground textures - Good

2) That same screenshot seems to be lacking water reflections - Bad
    Adam "Phantom" Preston - 220/26/53 Meta-Physicist

Serugiusu: By order of I, Bahirae Serugiusu. CEO of Omni-Tek's operations on Rubi-Ka. I hereby transfer you, Mr. Preston to Omni-Meta. Effective Immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by Neosh1 View Post
    Sooo.. what new in those screens? grass? where did new lightning/god rays go?
    Do we really need god rays - especially with the twin suns? And, TLR isn't exactly the most humid environment on RK so having clearly visible sun rays wouldn't make -too- much sense anyway.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

Clanners?

What do you mean prepare clanners?

Hopefully you mean Prepare Neutrals!

You know, I think I've learned more about the future of AO from this single post than I have in any of the posts from the last 5 or 6 years.

Also, +1 on the screenshots. If those are indicative of the new engine... I'm not sure what we've been waiting for all these years...

Excited about the NPE, though. Been waiting patiently for this before I restart my main toon.

Quote Originally Posted by crude4gone View Post
    What do you mean prepare clanners?

Hopefully you mean Prepare Neutrals!
    Neutrals aren't a faction, how would they stand united against the might of Omni-tek? Only the clans have the resources and organisation to do such a thing.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Now that I'm home I decided to take a trip out to The Longest Road and do a screenshot comparison. The perspective isn't quite the same but the differences should still be a bit more noticeable now.

Like I said above, texture render distance is much improved. You can also see how the ground and trees are affected by the new lighting, particularly the trees at the edge of the far side of the lake. Obviously grass and the new water help as well, but I'm still missing water reflections. What I think is missing most, though, are shadows. I know they're in the engine, and I can see hints of them in the screenshot, but they don't really stand out like they have in previous screens/videos.

It also doesn't help that we still have trees from the old, terraformed-desert-planet version of Rubi-Ka I still hope we'll see those get a priority makeover once the new engine is finished, so we can get rid of that discrepency and have flora that matches the newer, more lush textures. I prefer the old color palette, but considering all the grass that's been implemented, we'd just end up with green grass on a yellowish-green texture and we'd be right back where we started.

Edit: Also, going back to the Pande screenshot, fog distance looks about the same as always, but that could just be me not being in Pande right now to reference it . I was hoping we might be able to see out a bit farther with the new engine, though.
    Last edited by AstralEcho; May 31st, 2013 at 23:16:15.
    Adam "Phantom" Preston - 220/26/53 Meta-Physicist

Serugiusu: By order of I, Bahirae Serugiusu. CEO of Omni-Tek's operations on Rubi-Ka. I hereby transfer you, Mr. Preston to Omni-Meta. Effective Immediately.

Straight from the future, a snippet of the Monthly Development Update May 31st, 2018!

"Development on the engine is going well, and this month we reached another internal milestone."

Now back to business, gotta put that sports almanac to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Neutrals aren't a faction, how would they stand united against the might of Omni-tek? Only the clans have the resources and organisation to do such a thing.
    I sure hope you're kidding. Last time I saw an omni attack on our Borealis, this happened:

You hit Drakaan with nanobots for 5520771 points of fire damage.

After a few times, the filthy attacker was nice and dead.

Neutrals may not be an united front, but we are very much capable of dealing with these silly incursions. And if FC intends to rob us of Borealis (be it with omni or clan assailants), they're on the wrong path (again).
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Quote Originally Posted by Dywas View Post
    I sure hope you're kidding. Last time I saw an omni attack on our Borealis, this happened:
    The attack was from Neutral freedom fighters not Omni-Tek, myself and AF were there defending Bor, the same as you.

It's only after the three freedom fighters died everyone turned on the member of AF i was with, and then attacked all the backup i later called in.

So don't blame us
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Quote Originally Posted by Agentcora View Post
    The attack was from Neutral freedom fighters not Omni-Tek, myself and AF were there defending Bor, the same as you.

It's only after the three freedom fighters died everyone turned on the member of AF i was with, and then attacked all the backup i later called in.

So don't blame us
    Call them what you want. I killed an omni target that effectively killed neutral lowbies in the area. Labels and names are cute and all, but I rather look at the root of things: If you're killing neutrals, you're not helping them much.

Still, my point was to Mastablasta's rather wrong idea, not to anything you may have or have not done to help/hinder the keeping of Borealis' neutrality.

edit: Typo.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

What is this balance of power being talked about? Will clan no longer base swap to ensure they open at Omni's weakest times lol?

new engine never comming... why continue lying to us, just to keep us here? youre what 8 years late on the engine you guys suck youre all caca

Those engine pictures actually look really nice.
    "Remember me? The one you got your technique from?"
    The worst possible response you could give when asked for proof of your statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsmtrader01 View Post
    What is this balance of power being talked about? Will clan no longer base swap to ensure they open at Omni's weakest times lol?
    Do you enjoy doing tower wars without seeing defenders? Cause if you do, that's not even close to the concept of "war" or "PvP".
    All sides swap bases because nobody likes the random group of nolifers waking up at 4 in the morning to kill tower sites without anyone to defend.
    If you do that, you don't deserve towers in the first place.
    Contra
    Urynt
    Malraux
    Fontane
    Critbull
    Cleanex
    Fontane2

Im disappointed to see that Joel had time to write letter for other two games but not for AO..
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast