Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - May 31st, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by blindio View Post
    can probably put me down as somone in the camp that plays for current content.
    That's the only reasonable reason to play (and pay) ... I mean, how can anyone claim to play for content that doesn't exist? That's why it's so ridiculous to see people QQ about delayed updates for a game they pay for to play (or in some cases, don't even play or pay for).
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    That's the only reasonable reason to play (and pay) ... I mean, how can anyone claim to play for content that doesn't exist? That's why it's so ridiculous to see people QQ about delayed updates for a game they pay for to play (or in some cases, don't even play or pay for).
    quite easily in my case im on an annual sub i could have paid for a year and expected the new engine or the NPE by now, that im fairly relaxed about the matter doesnt mean i dont understand how others might be less than impressed with the lack of progress on improving the game, for somone who has a bunch of 220's and is bored of the current content theyd have good reason to want new content for their subcription

Because the premise of ALL subscription based MMOs is that if you pay a premium price, you get premium content updates. We are the only MMO that doesn't get any of that and we pay out the ass for it.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is nothing insane about seeing the potential AO harbours and constantly wishing...........
    I will stop you thre and just laugh, but if you want I will sell you a publishers clearing house subscription and you can wish to win a million bucks. ROFLOL

Because the premise of ALL subscription based MMOs is that if you pay a premium price, you get premium content updates. We are the only MMO that doesn't get any of that and we pay out the ass for it.
    No most reasonable people know exactly what we are paying for. A 10 year old game. Most reasonable people also would understand that updates to AO may never come and that QQ on forums is not very productive.

Also most people realize the fact that Joel is NOT a customer service rep where the "customer is always right". He is the boss and he is used to calling the shots not answering to a bunch a whiney, sniveling, adolescents only interested in squeezing out 2 more pts of aao. He does NOT get paid to be nice or sweet talk. So whatever ideas of professionalism people might want to attribute, these are open forums not articles for the Time magazine. You can't ask for Joel to chat with us on forums then get butt hurt when he chats to us like a regular person and not some corporate robot.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post

Also most people realize the fact that Joel is NOT a customer service rep where the "customer is always right". He is the boss and he is used to calling the shots not answering to a bunch a whiney, sniveling, adolescents only interested in squeezing out 2 more pts of aao. He does NOT get paid to be nice or sweet talk. So whatever ideas of professionalism people might want to attribute, these are open forums not articles for the Time magazine. You can't ask for Joel to chat with us on forums then get butt hurt when he chats to us like a regular person and not some corporate robot.
    i see my posting as showing FC that this game isnt dead yet, it may be on life support but some of us want to see it worked on more if its not then so be it but ill be damned if i dont try and contribute ideas that i think will help or agree with others suggestions

Wink NPE engine its coming when we dont know

I will stop you thre and just laugh, but if you want I will sell you a publishers clearing house subscription and you can wish to win a million bucks. ROFLOL

No most reasonable people know exactly what we are paying for. A 10 year old game. Most reasonable people also would understand that updates to AO may never come and that QQ on forums is not very productive.

Psikie i em going to stop u right there about all this none sense that u are talking about. All that i can say is if every player in ao would stop paying for 3 months or evean less and stop buying all the crap that is being sold in the game i em 99.99999999% sure that things would be diffrent. But since u got players and there is many of them that dont care about all these upgrades Funcom will always make up due dates and it will go on and on till it comes. When will this happen well they know this and when they want to release something they will so all this DRAMA on forum from the players that dont play is just plain old stupid if u are not playing the game way are u making such big deal wait till it comes out and then come back. Me personaly i em stoping to pay for both of my ac****s at end of this month so i can play the game that is free and it actualy has players to pvp and pve. When they come out with what they are talking about i will be happy to pay for the game but till then i em not paying for the game to join once day for bs or 12man or anything. It just dont make sense to pay top $$$ for something that u are noth having fun. Know u can go on and on about them being professional but they are not if they would told us the thruth from the beging i think ao would still have the amount of players that did in 2003 meaning u would be able to get pve done and pvp but since it takes 100 years for Funcom to get this NPE and engine out well dont be shocked that the ones that are still playing are upset at the Funcom.

What are you even talking about?

If a single iota of this sentence was true, there wouldn't be pages of repeated questions in the 'Your voice' threads asking the same things we've been asking for years.

I first asked him to talk to us like a normal person back in February, since then he has made one monthly development thread aaaaaand what else? A few replies here and there?
    Last edited by Raggy; Jun 8th, 2013 at 09:02:05.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Not sure what you are rambling on about. The price of AO has nothing to do with what I said. Sounds like more 'angry man' rant from you.

I first asked him to talk to us like a normal person back in February, since then he has made one monthly development thread aaaaaand what else? A few replies here and there?
    Notice something ... he does talk to 'us' like normal people. He made you an exception. Care to take a guess why that is?
    Last edited by Obtena; Jun 8th, 2013 at 15:25:29.

Not sure what you are rambling on about. The price of AO has nothing to do with what I said. Sounds like more 'angry man' rant from you.
    You pay a subscription, it funds continued development of the game, INCLUDING content updates. When was the last content update?

Notice something ... he does talk to 'us' like normal people. He made you an exception. Care to take a guess why that is?
    He doesn't talk at all.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

You pay a subscription, it funds continued development of the game, INCLUDING content updates. When was the last content update
    I don't really get the point your making here. This month's update shows the progress that will be an update to the game and it was probably funded from revenues from subscriptions so lots of this for you ... ?????????? I mean, are you implying that you think the last content update is so long ago that you shouldn't need to pay for the game? That would be a rather obtuse proposal.

He doesn't talk at all.
    For someone that doesn't talk at all, he sure let you have it.
    Last edited by Obtena; Jun 9th, 2013 at 03:34:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    AO has a Game Director. One who is doing a good job and knows the game very well.
    I couldn't find the post but iirc the Game Director had barely played AO so how is this true?
    We're takers, gents. That's what we do for a living. We take!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommysold View Post
    I couldn't find the post but iirc the Game Director had barely played AO so how is this true?
    You are confusing Game Director with Creative Director.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommysold View Post
    As far I know, Game Director is Genele, the pwnage goddess of hardcoreness.
    Nusquam is the Creative Director of all three FC main games.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Seeing that an mmorpg like Darkfall took some 8 or 9 years from it was announced until it was released, and alot of people considered it vaporware years before launch, I guess it's not surprising that is has taken this long. Also Funcom doesn't seem to have the resources of Blizzard, so I'm not surprised that the engine isn't here yet.

I recently re-subscribed, but it's not to wait for the engine, I have no idea if we'll ever see it. If I get tired of a game I just move on to another one, or go do something else.

Funcom can't really tell you to unsubscribe, but if you're one of those that moans and groans every time theres a little update, you should probably take a break, just saying. Better for everyone

And I learned something important after a couple years of mmorpg'ing when I first started playing them - I only subscribe for a month at a time, if I subscribe at all.

Another thing I have to agree with is that if players want a Director that levels with us and tells things like they are, then the good will come with the bad, and each have their own personality.

Joel was perhaps a tiny bit harsh in his response to Raggy, but I don't think it's something veteran gamers can't handle. I find it funny to see the reactions with people being so offended, when I've read these Monthly Development Updates for years, and theres almost allways some trolling and moaning about the game.
    Nothing wrong with suggesting improvements to the game, but if the devs decide not to follow through, then I think it's better to just just accept it, or move on?

Anyway, I've played a bunch of mmorpg's but never played a perfect one yet, I sort of doubt that it exist...

Quote Originally Posted by Traxterton View Post
    Joel was perhaps a tiny bit harsh in his response to Raggy, but I don't think it's something veteran gamers can't handle. I find it funny to see the reactions with people being so offended, when I've read these Monthly Development Updates for years, and theres almost allways some trolling and moaning about the game.
    The biggest difference I see between previous trollings and Joel's response is that we don't know him, and he doesn't know us. When Means or Kintaii made sniping comments it was ok, because we had a larger body of posts in which to place the context of their snipes. Joel has posted on the forums less than a dozen times, prolly, so for him to make the response he did in the way he did might very well be a sign that this is how he'll treat the community most of the time.

It's true that he publishes director's letters for the other two games, but those don't appear on the forums where folks can immediately respond. Instead, they're more like something that would go on the anarchy-online.com page.

tl;dr Joel has no street cred, and is building a street rep that may not serve him well around here.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

156th!
    Opsund 220/30 Ma
    Xandathrii 220/30 Enf
    Vekten 220/30 Doc

Lifdrasil 100/10 Eng

Retired General of Ascension, enjoying my elder days and the end of AO in The Asylum.(Currently of-world , but comming back soon(TM)
    Stop the inflation and madness, support my Tier 4 crusade

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Joel has posted on the forums less than a dozen times, prolly, so for him to make the response he did in the way he did might very well be a sign that this is how he'll treat the community most of the time.

tl;dr Joel has no street cred, and is building a street rep that may not serve him well around here.
    I can see you side on this. I'm from the old school of, "Say what you mean and mean what you say." So for me it was refreshing to see Joel's responses were "real" and not just some corporate B.S.

So for me it gave him a lot of credibility that some of the other FC posters have never had. I would say he has built a strong rep with the few posts he has made.

His rep imo is...

"He is in charge and comes on the forums as a courtesy, NOT as an obligation. You can take it or leave it."

I am ok with that. Because when he says something, he isn't sugar coating it or doing it because he is worried about backlash or job security. He is going to tell it like it is for better or worse.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxterton View Post
    Anyway, I've played a bunch of mmorpg's but never played a perfect one yet, I sort of doubt that it exist...
    It almost did for me. When Dust was first announced I was hoping it meant they'd be adding a shooter aspect to Eve. Fully integrated, like an expansion. I thought I'd never have to look for another MMO ever again.

I was so idealistic back then. Also naive. And kinda stupid, to be honest.
    :E

Quote Originally Posted by Ahndracorvid View Post
    It almost did for me. When Dust was first announced I was hoping it meant they'd be adding a shooter aspect to Eve. Fully integrated, like an expansion. I thought I'd never have to look for another MMO ever again.

I was so idealistic back then. Also naive. And kinda stupid, to be honest.
    Hehe, I see what you mean, for me it was Anarchy Online, basically the first mmorpg I ever played. Technically the first was URU online, or Myst online, but I only stayed for the free month in that, although I liked the Myst single player series alot.

With AO I started a few months before it went free to play, and it was pretty much empty at that time. Then came 2005 and Borealis was packed with Froobs, you could get a team in no time.

I actually levelled an adventurer to level 40 with no implants before I started realizing that my character was sort of gimped, lol Because there was plenty people with ( and without) proper gear, the gimped ones allways got some xp out of it.

I really got frustrated with how difficult I found it to make credits in this game, I don't think I've ever subscribed, or even played for free, a game that makes it so hard for new players to make money and get the gear that is needed to have a fun time playing.

I'll make a game suggestion post about this, so I won't go to much into it in this thread.

Eventually I got so frustrated I quit and went on over to WoW.

But then when Age of Conan was announced I started getting more and more excited about AoC, and ended up preordering it thinking that it would have way more freedom in it's gameplay than it had.

AoC started with some 50 servers I think, now it's got 4(?)... alot of people were disappointed, and the awesome graphics didn't help...
    I thought Funcom couldn't mess it up but they did unfortunately.

And I've played a bunch of mmorpg's inbetween and after that, but they all have some flaws to them one way or the other, intentionally or not.

Anyway, not going to go on about that in this thread, just wanted to say that I sure was corrected when thinking that developers/companies can make solid intuitively fun gameplay...
    I guess they 'can', - but I haven't seen any of it yet.
    ...not trying to flame AO, this goes for all mmorpg's I've played.

The Pandemonium screenshot looks great!

I think the whole NPE leading to Subway is great. I think that the abandoned Subway is still a fun instance. I would even go as far as saying that there should be a "heroic" version (I know, I know, WoW reference) where bored TL7 characters could pop in between chats in the city to battle monsters for some fun and loot, and a mega-boss like Abmouth at the end. I hope that in the future after the dust has settled from the new Engine being released that there will be a focus on reusing old dungeons and content to make an interesting leveling experience in addition to whatever end-game content is being added.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast