Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 4th, 2011 - Montreal Party Registration

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by ArienSky View Post
    Sadly talking statistics will now give you infraction points
    This statement is based off of what, exactly?
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I'd like you to provide photographic evidence of anywhere you've seen such as this and compare it to the number of times it takes place that you don't know about then Just for the sake of perspective.
    How can I possibly compare something that I have personally never seen (supermarkets close by my house are always VERY well stocked, in season of course) with a number that I can't possibly know by definition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Im sorry, how many professions are left on nano docs, i think its 3 mp, nt, and agent. The last two were said from the start that they would be the last ones. After those 3 we will most likely get all the perk updates done at once again like before. Then i highly doubt that they will hand out a item doc, just make us view the changes from the db like normal. Seems like they are very close to being complete with the balance work. I bet testing will last 2 or 3 months though as everything is fine tuned, and then some more tuning after the patch goes live and more people access it.
    Is this supposed to inspire me? Or terrify me?

First Nano Document: July 16, 2010.

Last Friday's Date: March 4, 2011.

Number of Weeks Between: 33.

Number of Professions with a Draft: 11.

Average Weeks per Document: 3.

Estimated time for MP Document: Should have been this week.
    New Estimated Time: 3/11/11

Estimated time for NT Document: 4/1/11, where we'll get a stupid joke nano document.
    New Estimated Time: 4/8/11

Estimated time for Agent Document: 4/15/11
    New Estimated Time based on 4/1/11, in addition to the extent of changes needed: 5/4/11.

Estimated time for Perk Document: 5/18/11

Estimated time for Itemization changes: June 2011.

Time needed to properly test: 2 months minimum.
    Most likely duration of the testint: 3 weeks.

Number of OP FoTM professions at the end of rebalance? Exactly 1.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Yep, who would have thought that balancing profs was a hard and time consuming task that takes lots of work and revisions?
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

How many other companies do you know of that tell the public how things were delayed because a majority of the team got sick? I don't know if you go to the supermarket and find a note saying that sadly there's a lack of certain wares because everyone is sick. Rather the thing would still be open and you'd be left to inquire if they have any X, and the only response you'd get would be yes/no, with no explanation as to why the shelves weren't stocked.
    You dont find it very often because it is a lousy excuse. It is, generally, the last resort when all other excuses is used. And people tend not to use it just for that reason. And a note about lot of sick people isnt something that I would like to see where I buy my food.
    And I am NOT saying that it isnt an excuse or implying that anyone is lying.
    On the other hand, I have in fact seen such notes. Couple of times as a child where our local supermarket (a very little one ) was a family driven business. Later once or twice during them big influensa pandemies, in my city most of the companies was only half stocked or less with people.

And Masta, could you please stop telling people to quit, stop posting or stop reading forums? I know that proffesional or not you are entitled to post what you want, but it doesnt look good. It doesnt reduce the "hate" very much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkona View Post
    Influenza is the 10th most frequent killer of people living in Canada aged 35-65. The 12th most frequent killer of people living in Canada aged 25-34.

Influenza is on the top 10 list along with heart disease and cancer which are higher up the list.

Continued flame baiting will result in infractions.
    And pray tell where you got this information? I posted earlier about influenza in Canada and linked to Canada's disease control agency as well as Canada's advice for immunization before entering the country. I also stated in the post you responded to that influenza is not the killer, it's the secondary or tertiary infections one develops during influenza that are the killers. That's not flame baiting, it's a statement backed by Canada's own information. And I STILL find it terribly unlikely that every single dev was sick during the exact same seven day period. Food poisoning does stuff like that, not influenza.

Your post is pretty redundant. Why do you think that just because YOU don't see any news, there's no news on anything?
    So where's this news you speak of? Also:
    I'd like you to provide photographic evidence of anywhere you've seen such as this and compare it to the number of times it takes place that you don't know about then Just for the sake of perspective.
    I have worked big box retail for years and if I don't have an item in stock it usually says something like "Out of Stock" with an estimated time of arrival. As a matter of fact we have employees who's sole job is to determine out of stocks and where they can be found, either in or out of the store. If THAT doesn't mollify customers I can always look up and find EXACTLY where the shipment is enroute.

Im sorry, how many professions are left on nano docs, i think its 3 mp, nt, and agent. The last two were said from the start that they would be the last ones. After those 3 we will most likely get all the perk updates done at once again like before. Then i highly doubt that they will hand out a item doc, just make us view the changes from the db like normal. Seems like they are very close to being complete with the balance work. I bet testing will last 2 or 3 months though as everything is fine tuned, and then some more tuning after the patch goes live and more people access it.
    more work and more work and more work and more work all of which will be delayed and my account runs out June with nothing to show to make me want to renew. That's quite irritating.

Yep, who would have thought that balancing profs was a hard and time consuming task that takes lots of work and revisions?
    I'd like to point out to you again that Cryptic has done it with Champions Online in 6 months. Full game relaunch with a ton of rebalance work done to it. They actually managed to streamline the game. All the balance documentation has done is create a tone of ambiguity. I expect better than two years and no accomplishments.
    Last edited by Kopecz; Mar 7th, 2011 at 01:55:22.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I think you're wrong. I think AO is the most balanced MOBA out there.

Hate that y'all were sick. Hope you're feeling better. Hope y'all have a nice party.

By the way, I've cancelled all 4 of my paid accounts. I can't continue to fund AO when things that have been broken for years can't even get fixed. It's hard to walk away from 8 years, but I don't see much reason to renew my accounts come October.

Thanks for helping me finally make the decision to walk away, following so many of the people that I sincerly miss playing AO with. I'll continue to play until my subscriptions run out, hoping for a reason to renew, but doubting there will be.
    'The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.' - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Desire to be right, even when wrong?
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Ofcause I will

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopecz View Post
    So to all the people pleading for "us", the vocally disappointed forums goers, to lighten up and feel some sort of human pity it's hard to feel super sorry for a common virus with an incubation period of 1-4 days and a typical run of 7 days. Not life threatening at all. I'd feel different if everyone had gotten yellow fever or something like ebola.
    Influenza is the 10th most frequent killer of people living in Canada aged 35-65. The 12th most frequent killer of people living in Canada aged 25-34.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopecz View Post
    Again I'd like to reiterate that influenza IS NOT A LIFE THREATENING ILLNESS to middle aged game designers. Not one had triple bypass surgery. No one got hit by a car. No one has terminal cancer.
    Influenza is on the top 10 list along with heart disease and cancer which are higher up the list.

Continued flame baiting will result in infractions.
    and I am very glad you are feeling well enough to write.
    The flu is indeed worse than I remembered it 10 years ago when I had it last.
    But I did indeed not die (though it felt like it at times, almost choking in coughing)

Thing is that I have dealt a lot with risk assessment, management and perception professionally, so I a bit offended when you only are allowed one viewpoint.
    "it is deadly", well everything is deadly. But how deadly?
    See that is the point:

and according to the quote the following is infractionable, as it is undermining the deadliness of the flu and hence is flamebait, as I interpret it:

Are cars dangerous to drive?
    Most would say no..
    they drive them every day..
    I would say yes, pointing to the same statistics as Yarkona.

I would -not- say those not considering cars to be safe are wrong though, and threaten with sanctions for expression their opinion.

Personally I know hundreds that have had the flu, not a single one dieing.
    I also know people taking the car each day.. and sadly know 3 having been killed that way.

When I hear about getting the flu my primary expectation is that they will return within a week, not that they are going to die.
    Just as I don't expect people on a business-trip to never come back..

I think that is an allowable opinion to have.
    and I do not think it should give an infraction saying so.

it wasn't a vague formulation of what was infactionable.
    Two quotes, both stating Kopecz's expectations of a flu: that it is not deadly.
    If two of his friends catches the flu, he will no mourn, but expect them to come back.

He was providing reasoning for why he wasn't sad.
    Sure you can debate weather it is insensitive.. but not letting people explain and state their opinion, when they are called insensitive by others..
    As far as I know you are against that too Kintaii.
    We might disagree on how deadly the flu is, but people should be able to argue their point at least.

Kind Regards
    -Ariensky

PS.
    2008, a scandinavian country, all numbers in pr. 100.000 people
    Influenza-deaths:
    Age 15-34: 0,018
    Age 35-49: 0,000
    Age 50-59: 0,018
    Age 60-69: 0,018
    Age 70+ : 0,037
    Total : 0,091

Kilometres drivin in car: 1'124'622'908 (yes per 100.000, it is 31 km per person pr day)
    Death car-accidents: 2,356 (cyclists, pedestrians, lorry drivers are not in this)

-> km pr death: 477'379'845 km

so..
    if you are 15-35 the chances of you dieing of the flu is as likely
    as you driving 477'379'845km in your car and dieing in a car-accident

(statistically you only have to drive 164'657'754 km to kill someone else than yourself though.. so you will hit 3 people on your way to kill yourself, with the distribution of 1 motor-cyclists, ½ pedestrian, ½ bike and ½ lorry-driver)

Sorry for the long time it took to reply, it took some time digging up those statistics

But at least it shows:
    Don't fear dieing of the flu.
    Don't fear driving either.

Edit:
    Post posted while I was writing:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    Desire to be right, even when wrong?
    I find it ironic you write that..
    I can give you the source for the statistics, they are in my local language though..
    and I am private of which scandinavian country I am from..
    But with my professional honour I can tell you they are right.
    and as offered, I can give you the links.
    Last edited by ArienSky; Mar 7th, 2011 at 02:55:28. Reason: Ayria's comment added
    Humankind can not gain anything, without first giving something in return.
    To obtain; something of equal value must be lost.
    That is the 1st law of equivalent exchange

Rubi-Ka needs: a nickel statue of an astronaut pointing at the sky
    With the description / plate saying:
    When the stars burn out and I find I lack the strength to continue...one of YOU wil pick up the flag and carry it forward.
    This really isn't a corporate product anymore...it belongs to all of us. Where it goes it up to us.

While we're on the topic of "taking way too long to fix," is Pande geometry exploiting being looked into?
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

I'm canadian, I work in a game development studio in an open office where we're in contact with many people everyday. Although we try to prevent this by encouraging people to stay home, it's still very common each winter to see chains of people getting sick at once and it is part of life in canada. I find it completly astonishing and out of touch with reality to call them liars and debate this for 12 pages.

P.S I'm no FC fanboy, i stopped playing AO 2 years ago, I just think that some of you need to take a breath and calm the f***down.
    Last edited by Joey; Mar 7th, 2011 at 04:55:55.
    Joeymtl The Renaissance
    Tsbish (Tradeskiller)
    Shibasama (lvl 5 with Feeble Gladiatorbot & Red Line)
    Achiever 66.67%, Killer 53.33%, Explorer 46.67%, Socializer 46.67%

Sooooo... How about them girl scout cookies Thin mints are pretty good...

(+post count and subject changer!)
    220 crat ~Frocratarox~
    130 doc ~Mrfunny~
    150 engi ~Miniwheats~
    220 Shade ~Tsume~
    60 NT ~Nomorenano~
    220 fixer ~Barlock~
    Spirit Guide You

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Lackofgravy View Post
    Sooooo... How about them girl scout cookies Thin mints are pretty good...

(+post count and subject changer!)
    some weeks ago.. i was leaving Lowes.. and i was ambushed! by a group of lil girl scouts selling them evil cookies.

and i was like.. "i dont have any cash!"... i then proceeed to open my wallet.. and wtf.. i had cash!

so i was forced to buy a couple of boxes of the peanutbutter cookie thingys.

they... didnt last.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    and i was like.. "i dont have any cash!"... i then proceeed to open my wallet.. and wtf.. i had cash!
    Rookie mistake and ya hate to see it! Never open the wallet! That's how they get ya.

Those peanutbutter cookies are actually pretty delicious.

The rest of this thread makes me sad.

To FC: Get well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunni View Post
    Hate that y'all were sick. Hope you're feeling better. Hope y'all have a nice party.

By the way, I've cancelled all 4 of my paid accounts. I can't continue to fund AO when things that have been broken for years can't even get fixed. It's hard to walk away from 8 years, but I don't see much reason to renew my accounts come October.

Thanks for helping me finally make the decision to walk away, following so many of the people that I sincerly miss playing AO with. I'll continue to play until my subscriptions run out, hoping for a reason to renew, but doubting there will be.
    You are aware that it is not allowed to reveal the status of your accounts, right? But I guess at this point they can't really do that much to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I just think that some of you need to take a breath and calm the f***down.
    It seems to be getting thrown around quite a lot that people doubted the devs had a flu. Maybe such posts were deleted I don't know. However, if you read back you'll see the first expressions of doubt about anyone having a flu were made by Shadowgod and Anarrina.

What people were doing was expressing their disappointment over the lack of development information in a development blog. The thead was hapy and civilised until those people were attacked by Obtena and Ayria. And then suddenly the complainers are accused of all kinds of things that never actually happened.

It's perfectly reasonable that a group of people moving to another country will get ill. I, for one, empathise strongly. That doesn't make it any less disappointing for the people that look forward to new development info from the weekly delelopment blog.
    Advisor of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Personally I don't need the engine for the engines sake. I haven't played AO for its graphics and so the graphics wont be an issue for me in the future either. I did look forward to the engine for the potential big increase in players.
    And that's the case for many of us. And we have explained so. But some of the fanbois (I'm sorry but there is just no other term that fits you at this stage) repeatedly and deliberetly "misunderstands" this.
    In other words THEY are the trolls, not the guys with the more than reasonable abd legit complaints. And I think it's becoming clearer by the minute to everyone that it is so.

Reasonable and legit complaints are fine, but when you repeat yourself like a broken record for months upon months then it's just a form of attentionwhoring, almost none of the complaints are even original, you're just repeating what someone else has already said a dozen times.

I'm sure FC get's it already, hell, we all get it! You're frustrated and annoyed, so you do it like any 10-yearold, you cry, put on a deaf ear and then scream. But guess what, your posts are being ignored by the majority, other players are laughing at you and people don't care about what you have to say. All because of to much crying.

Note: You is intended for all the players that just have to cry every darn week and is in no form directed at any individual player.

Get well soon and get us a spectacular information packed FwM next week! :P
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rurounin View Post
    ...and get us a spectacular information packed FwM next week! :P
    Something tells me that Rurounin missed the point of the discontent.

I think its kinda funny how we're all arguing about what....

Means getting sick?

...Seriously people? This is even worse when someone started aguing that SL doesnt need a sun to cause all the shadows...

Guys. This game has a small dev team. Because few people play the game.

Statistically speaking, a union-joint event happening to every single member of AO's team isn't that small, because the team is small. You only gotta multiply the probabilities together what, 5, 6 times?

If AO moved to the tropics, then hell, they could have all been laid low by west nile or something. So be grateful its just the flu. And stop the whining and demanding of prof balance documents. As amazing as this sounds, I doubt they'll come any faster if you spew acidic remarks onto the forums with regards to your dissapointment at their lack of speed.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast