Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Announcement Concerning a New Anarchy Online In-Game Store

It better not be like... 40 dollars for some ****ty item I can only use once and never keep and only have for 30 minutes.

That would be gasoline worthy.
    Last edited by Lazuraz; Nov 7th, 2010 at 23:20:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuraz View Post
    It better not be like... 40 dollars for some ****ty item I can only use once and never keep and only have for 30 minutes.

That would be gasoline worthy.
    I can see it being something like PP where you buy the points in a bundle and then spend them on items accordingly.

Say you buy 1000 item shop points, and xp stims cost 150-200 points
    Atlantean
    ------------------
    Postmuerta - 210/10 Solitus Soldier

Kamaytayan - 220/17 Solitus Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    but I would like to put it in the position of being viable for ten MORE years.
    Not to sound bitchy or piss on the parade, but to be viable for 10 more years, the animations for characters will need overhauled at some point. I realize it's an intensive and expensive process, but the way characters look when they move and fight is laughable compared to most modern products, and I fear a new engine with realistic bodies is just going to exacerbate that. It's especially bad with the perk attacks, which are often just the "use" animation - every game made in the past 2 or 3 years has engaging and entertaining animations for special attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kesh View Post
    I heard black troxes have a huge nothing.
    Berinda: Assault rifle

Wenona: SMG

Quote Originally Posted by Berinda View Post
    Not to sound bitchy or piss on the parade, but to be viable for 10 more years, the animations for characters will need overhauled at some point. I realize it's an intensive and expensive process, but the way characters look when they move and fight is laughable compared to most modern products, and I fear a new engine with realistic bodies is just going to exacerbate that. It's especially bad with the perk attacks, which are often just the "use" animation - every game made in the past 2 or 3 years has engaging and entertaining animations for special attacks.
    dont forget to add all the melee/ranged weapon impact sounds that for some reason are there but not working (or so I've been informed).

-----------------------------------------------

also, a big lol at those throwing the short-sighted argument out there that no one is forcing you to buy stuff. of course no one is forcing anyone to buy stuff, quit stating this obvious fact like its divine inspiration. most of us have already thought of this after 2 seconds of reading means' post, afterwhich delving deeper into contructive, analytical thought about how this type of thing has affected other games already and how it will impact the way people play ao. given that alot of players may not have the deep pockets that 'pro microtransaction' fanbois do, it may or may not have a positive impact on the games future. its all really speculation, and most of us here enjoy that speculation because it produces intelligent thought on the subject. posting unintelligent remarks like 'no one is forcing you to pay for stuff' reminds me of the jealous kid who runs around kicking over other kids sand castles at the beach because he doesn't know how to build one. seriously...
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

My biggest concern right now is the potential, given how the AO GUI and scripting works, for malicious sites to install a script to your AO folder which redirects the ingame store using a fake version of the window in the GUI, to their phishing sites.
    Trixie "Tryqz" Rhaiyne, Newland Council Science Minister

Hey Means, this is great, keep it up.

I used to be opposed to in-game selling but I have now seen the light. The simple fact that a ****ton of cred sellers exist means that people are obviously willing to pay more for this game than they currently are. FC should be getting that money, not the cred sellers. The key difference, I think, is that when it's in the black market, people think they're getting a leg up on all the poor fools who refuse to pay cred sellers. But if it's official by FC, people realise that there's actually a level playing field with paying for this stuff. NEWSFLASH: It's always been a level playing field, the people willing to keep the cred sellers going for the last 5 years have already found what they want and kept it going, the ones who refuse to use such services would refuse FC PP shop anyway.

P.S. I've not played in over a year and I had 5k PP on my two accounts. Just used the first ever PP to switch one of my MPs to my second account to be a more effective CI machine (lol). Because the store existed, FC could innovate to find tools/functions that players really did want (as I've just done after refusing to spend PP on any of the "fluff" FC have doled out thus far). So keep up the good work FC.
    P.P.S. FC should also repackage the new engine + balance patch as a new expansion and sell it, it makes perfect sense for all the work and resources they've thrown into it.
    Last edited by Chrys; Nov 8th, 2010 at 09:12:26.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    the people willing to keep the cred sellers going for the last 5 years have already found what they want and kept it going, the ones who refuse to use such services would refuse FC PP shop anyway.

I couldn't disagree more.
    And FC clearly agree with me here or they wouldn't be bothering with the shop as they would not expect anyone to buy from it were that the case.

Many people refuse such services simply becuse of a fear of theft of their account, or worse, credit card details.

Many others refuse simply on grounds of principle. It's not something officially and normally put in the game by funcom. A legitimate ingame store on the other hand IS endorsed by Funcom and put there as part of the game's mechanics and so is not considered a "cheat".

Both these groups of people are EXACTLY who funcom are targeting with this new store. People who currently refuse such sevices as powerlevelling/etc. WILL use the Funcom shop, and that's exactly what they are banking on to make money from this.

Ah ofc well spotted. so you, like me, have no problems in principle with cred sellers as long as someone secure and trustworthy like FC is doing it. Can FC please rectify this with a credstore asap?

Ofc with all the concerns about inflation in the game, FC would first have to make viable cred sinks (e.g. booths selling ql300 stims, convenience items, RBPs, etc), but once that's done then PP for creds will be good to go!
    bai2u!
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Quote Originally Posted by Worldofalts View Post
    also, a big lol at those throwing the short-sighted argument out there that no one is forcing you to buy stuff. of course no one is forcing anyone to buy stuff, quit stating this obvious fact like its divine inspiration. most of us have already thought of this after 2 seconds of reading means' post, afterwhich delving deeper into contructive, analytical thought about how this type of thing has affected other games already and how it will impact the way people play ao. given that alot of players may not have the deep pockets that 'pro microtransaction' fanbois do, it may or may not have a positive impact on the games future. its all really speculation, and most of us here enjoy that speculation because it produces intelligent thought on the subject. posting unintelligent remarks like 'no one is forcing you to pay for stuff' reminds me of the jealous kid who runs around kicking over other kids sand castles at the beach because he doesn't know how to build one. seriously...
    Well then how about using some of your "intelligence" to tell everyone to stop bitching and that the sky is not falling.

The reason we post "noones forcing you" is because "most of you" are crying rivers over something that 1) hasnt even been implemented yet and 2) would more than likely have no impact on you.

if noone buys from the store, who gives a ****?

if people buy some xp stims, who gives a ****?

It's not a monumental game breaking decision :P
    Atlantean
    ------------------

Ah ofc well spotted. so you, like me, have no problems in principle with cred sellers as long as someone secure and trustworthy like FC is doing it. Can FC please rectify this with a credstore asap?

Ofc with all the concerns about inflation in the game, FC would first have to make viable cred sinks (e.g. booths selling ql300 stims, convenience items, RBPs, etc), but once that's done then PP for creds will be good to go!
    Well, obviously outright credit selling is a bad idea.

You have two kinds of players, and then to a lesser extent an area of overlap between the two.

Players willing to pay extra in the short term to get instant gratification and get what they want are usually unwilling to make the long term investment of continuing their subscription for years and years. They do everything, enjoy AO for a short while, then quit.

The real cash cows are those of us who keep our subscription going for years, and we have more invested. the longer we play the more we have invested in everything we've gained through play rather than through paypal transactions. The less willing we are to STOP paying every month.

Over the course of several years we earn FC more via our subs than most short term players who buy everything they want then get bored when there's nothing they can't do.

Of course, making everything available to anyone willing to pay for it would leave many of the players who do NOT fall into the overlap zone feel disenfranchised. Many would leave the game, as would inevitably many at the opposite extreme of the spectrum. In the long run AO's user base would be drastically reduced.

Hence why Means has said this will be limited simply to things which have been shown not to cause this kind of damage.

P.P.S. FC should also repackage the new engine + balance patch as a new expansion and sell it, it makes perfect sense for all the work and resources they've thrown into it.
    So if I refuse to buy this balance expansion my OP profession will stay that way?:O kewl

Wait so I'd have to pay more for what Ive been waiting for for 3 years now?

Umm....nahhh im good
    Atlantean
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Remm View Post
    Please keep in mind how important this is. Adding something like Flash might sound good to the boss, so he can have fancy moving pictures and sounds, but it's a massive security hole, and you would really have to stay on top of keeping it patched as a new vulnerability arises each week. Some kind of 'safe browsing' option is essential: no scripting, no cookies, and no way for private data to be sent to third parties. Please take the time to do this right.
    Flash isnt the thing I'm worried most about. Doubt they bet on that horse for the time being. Its javascript. Easily as dangerous as flash.
    ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Saying we can't afford to ignore a possible revenue source is not the same thing as saying we are on a "tight balance". The game is easily financially viable at the moment..
    That shouldnt surprise anyone with these monthly fees. Competitive pricing is something else.

but I would like to put it in the position of being viable for ten MORE years.
    Then Funcom needs to hurry up with the projects that are supposed to ensure a future for AO (i.e. noob island revamp, new engine and advertising campaign), otherwise you'll run out of customers, that would spoil your vision of "TEN MORE YEARS!".

Just out of curiosity. Does this new way of generating revenue have anything to do with the shutdown of your ad partner Massive? Or did you already find a replacement for them?
    Last edited by Warhead; Nov 8th, 2010 at 13:31:44.
    ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by Warhead View Post
    Flash isnt the thing I'm worried most about. Doubt they bet on that horse for the time being. Its javascript. Easily as dangerous as flash.
    As I pointed out - that isn't even the biggest security hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryqz View Post
    My biggest concern right now is the potential, given how the AO GUI and scripting works, for malicious sites to install a script to your AO folder which redirects the ingame store using a fake version of the window in the GUI, to their phishing sites.
    I can easily see a site dropping something in your scripts folder/GUI skin which redirects the ingame purchasing window to a fake site rather than the genuine one. I have plenty mods to my GUI that I've made myself which rely on just this sort of capability to work, generating ingame windows linking to websites.

To those who mentioned VP:

The ofab-stuff was ment for less advanced players, but at low level it takes advanced play and advanced players to get a hold of and it's a complicated process to get the fully updated armor/weapon.

Not that I suggest VP for PP, but if they wanna give new players a less steep start of the game they should maybe consider that low-level ofab should be easier to get for players.

Now why did I post this in the game-store thread? No, I don't suggest that it should be availabe there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Well if it's so trashed and old and buggy, then why bother playing it?
    You should explore that question yourself and deeply consider the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Worldofalts View Post
    So, instructive and analytical thinking has gotten you where? To the conclusion that because I'm pro-microtransaction that I have deep pockets? On the contrary, I have only deep debt. And as it may or may not have a positive impact on the game's future, then we're seeing more and more games make this move, including games that used to be completely pay-to-play. EverQuest 2 recently took the leap as well. If this shop works well, then maybe one day AO won't even cost money to play because a well made shop could support it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamarar View Post
    You should explore that question yourself and deeply consider the results.
    I don't need to, I already did. But newbies gotta be newbies.
    I agree. They should package in some extra content with the balance and engine stuff and call it a booster. But this should be done by making it free to get the engine, of course as free players are the revenue stream generators, and the balancing of course can't be something sold seperately. But by cleverly positioning a booster along side the engine and rebalance efforts and cleanup, it's easier to make people pay up.

Also I think it's fascinating that noone called you out on your trolling.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I agree. They should package in some extra content with the balance and engine stuff and call it a booster. But this should be done by making it free to get the engine, of course as free players are the revenue stream generators, and the balancing of course can't be something sold seperately. But by cleverly positioning a booster along side the engine and rebalance efforts and cleanup, it's easier to make people pay up.

Also I think it's fascinating that noone called you out on your trolling.
    You just agreed with me but you called me trolling. The personal attacks I have to put up with on teh forumz
    bai2u!

So wait, does that mean that the game is going to go entirely F2P soon or stay the same F2P model that it has now, just with an in-game store?

P.S. Just redirect me to the post if this has already been answered.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast