Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update - 28th February 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Actually that is exactly why I have inspect turned off. Took all of one day of the feature being in the game to be told to go play WOW because my equipment sucked on the new toon I happened to be leveling at that the time.

The one constant to AO that I have found is that the Jerk Eleetist always make themselves known long before any helpful toon makes himself known. If you are not seeing it then perhaps you are one of the eleetist that happens to be the rare type isn't rude about it. But happen it does.

I don't want the unsolicited opinions on my gear PERIOD. I don't want to be told to go get better gear to join a raid when the gear I need comes from the raid I am being excluded from because of my gear. That crap happens every day on live to toons that have inspect enabled. How do I know? I am an org president and have seen enough members rant about it in org chat. Also have seen those new players leave and not come back to AO.
    Likely because I don't play with people I don't know who don't want me in their team because I'm not able to fulfil whatever arbitrary requirement is demanded by the idiot's meta this month. Or decade, in the case of AO. I'm just wondering, if I am somehow able to have friends in the game that will play with me regardles of my gear, and never actually cared in the slightest what gear people had, in fact I've spent so much time playing with bizarre combinations and teammates that would be considered enough reason for the clowns who do think that gear is somehow an indicator of playerworth to ban me from their list of invites forever, and had so much success with it, that I don't even see why you would ever go for the "omg this is the best combination" meta that is so popular with some people.

My experience tells me that the worst playerpersonalities are the ones who are all into the meta, crying about this or that thing not living up to the standards of whataever they recently decided was the best.
    They don't care about fun or enjoyment or playing with others. The only thing they enjoy, and they don't really enjoy it as far as I can tell, is to win with as little effort as it is at all possible to put into the game.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Sorry pafpuf... after rereading what you said... it appears I totally got wrongly what you said and then attacked what I thought you said... great way of wasting one's time .

Ideally that post of mine should be deleted because it's wasting space on the internet.
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    Big changes doesn't have to mean more ridiculous imbalances though. Masta had his fingers in lost eden design, remember what that was like ? An expansion that's nothing but a patch with band aid fixes. Laziest and poorest design I have ever seen in any video game. Few examples of the BIG CHANGES you so religiously defend:

- ofab armors (upgrades to tier armor) have virtually no detail, just different shades of grey or brown for various profs. Oh and some profs didn't even get certain parts of ofab ingame at all because screw effort

- almost every prof got a high damage AS weapon, their brilliant solution to high evades

- NTs, who before LE lacked damage, got a nuke that (then) took 90% hp off most profs and coupled with nbs is among the most ridiculous abilities to exist in an mmo to date

- battlestation that had so many design flaws from day 1 like spawn camping (disabled with another horrible band-aid fix), platforms that pets couldn't climb, the ridiculous whompas and a disabled minimap

I wouldn't be so quick as to defend him based on past preformance and his general lack of knowledge.
    I can tell that you are grossly overestimating the impact professional have on the game. My fingers in what, exactly? That NTs were suffering ridiculously to the 30% rules and reflects, and that our "overpowered 3sec AS" was so gimp that we could hardly kill anyone and none of our support tools were useful in pvp except for rooting that one enforcer in ten, then the problems with reflects and how dull the NT nanos were (are) was really what NT professionals were providing feedback on. Launching the LE beta for the first time, seeing what was in the itemstore was a "wtf" moment.
    I, and the other professionals, had no idea what was coming with LE. I was banned about a week into the beta for it for, amongst other things, having flamed the devs constantly for years. Have I stopped that? Yes, because basically there's no reason to act like an idiot to someone doing their job. If people were to call in every day and tell me the things I can read on this forum, I'd quit instantly. A younger, dumber person did that. You're probably going to say "oh you're just brownnosing because you're afraid to be banned again", but well, no, I'm not. Fact of the matter is, tonnes of bad decisions were made, apparently because noone was actually working and nothing ever got done and weird expansions that were only half thought through were launched.

Now, actual changes are being made, that affect things and will have an effect on the way the game is played. Regardles of how terrible some of it turns out to be, I'd say it's all a lot more promising and interesting than another armor that buffs everything by 30.

None of those changes you list are "big", they were bad at the time, but since it was the only thing we got, and that apparently none of the community derived feedback we had been providing had been listened to, other than obviously "reflects are problematic", there was really nothing left to do but defend those things, because it'd just been 6 years since us getting anything even halfway decent. And look where we are today! Even back when development was more active, we got exactly nothing out of all the things we tried to communicate. If you think that posting on this forum is like speaking to a wall, you should try being a professional.

I really would like to see what others who had been in the situation of having to defend one of the most gimp and destroyed professions in the game getting a ridiculous bandaid would've done. But I guess it's easy for you to say something like that if you think that us professionals had even an inkling of influence on the design of what went into LE, AI or SL before them.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Mar 2nd, 2014 at 19:44:39.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Mmm maybe you did link the blame to him... I really should stop this speed-reading/writing thingy.
    You tell me.

./end spam
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    if you think that us professionals had even an inkling of influence on the design of what went into LE, AI or SL before them.
    Well to make a point there, Jayde the old adv proff went on to become a DEV, clearly no longer works for FC but still.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    Well to make a point there, Jayde the old adv proff went on to become a DEV, clearly no longer works for FC but still.
    Yea, and I was once the runner-up for a contentdesigner position but then, you're no longer a player or player representative, you're a dev. And I guess that is when you figure out that none of what the players were asking for is ever possible
    The Red Brotherhood

Quoting Uaint cause I'd get banned for what I wanna say. Don't even know what to say about FC anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    Well, I've not seen such a badly thought up list of changes in maybe a decade.
    I mean, past directors and devs have had some stupid notions of "what will make the game better" over the years, but this list is certainly right up there in the top 5 "Head in rectum" moments of this games history.

I'm not going to get all ranty about every last little detail, but i have one or two things that i feel are worth mentioning.

firstly, this whole friendly nano's in ncu thing...
    I see alot of people getting very upset over this and from a certain point of view i understand thier reasoning.
    But, to say that it is rewarding the sploiters is unfair, at the same time, being told that its "to level the playing field" is also a bare faced lie.
    this puts both the community and the dev team at fault.
    Its far more likely that the situation is one, whereby the dev team is simply unable to figure out a reliable method to prevent this exploit and are going with the only option left available to them.
    I think we need to forgive them this once however as saying "we simply cant afford to hire someone who knows how to fix it" wouldnt look good.

next up, this whole "lets modernise AO" theme that seems to be going on right now.
    I have a simple question.....
    How many newly released "Modern MMO's" in the last, say ten years have actualy been live for longer than the dev time spent to create it in the first place?
    a small handfull and almost all of those now run on a free to play/pay to win buisness model.
    if AO is going to be going down that same path, then quite frankly, there are far better options out there.

lastly.
    It warms my heart that no matter how much hatred, vile abuse, bile and bickering that goes on in these forums, everyone still manages to rally round and agree on a subject when they are faced with monumental stupidity.....

come on, Group hug!
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    Its far more likely that the situation is one, whereby the dev team is simply unable to figure out a reliable method to prevent this exploit and are going with the only option left available to them.
    I think we need to forgive them this once however as saying "we simply cant afford to hire someone who knows how to fix it" wouldnt look good.
    Or, you know, it'll take maybe two months of work to dig into the very core of the AO game engine, on both the server and clients, and figure out a solution to the way those contact eachother with this information, develop a new one, test it, deploy it and bugtrack it, and so on and so far. In the end someone will find a new way to figure out how to tap into the information anyway, and all it did was to temporarily nulify a tiny minority of disruptive players having an effect on a small number of others, who in most cases probably weren't even aware that they were being affected by someone using data gathered by tapping into the client with 3rd party tool.

Skill isn't the issue, it's the time. If they could afford to hire more people to work on the patch than 2, it'd probably get done faster as well, or maybe even include such fixes. Everyone knows that FC is struggling economically, and causing an old game to fluctuate a bit in subscriptions isn't going to change anything.
    The Red Brotherhood

None of those changes you list are "big",.
    Maybe not to you because like I said, you practically don't even play this game. You're still stuck in that "NTs are the nerfest prof" box you were in ever since I joined this community. To us who do, or rather did back then they were huge changes. If they weren't the game's population wouldn't have literally halved within a few months of that fraud expansion's release.

And you're defending the developers because we have bad things to say ? Wow, really ? This community has been providing feedback and trying to improve the game since forever with so many great suggestions through the years that simply got ignored. When they finally decide to rebalance something they pull ideas out of their behinds that will keep the game insanely imbalanced just swapping some places on the food chain. It's the players who spend countless hours in this game and it's our suggestions they should be developing and testing. We have every right to criticize their work (or lack of rather) because WE are the ones paying for it.

Maybe not to you because like I said, you practically don't even play this game. You're still stuck in that "NTs are the nerfest prof" box you were in ever since I joined this community. To us who do, or rather did back then they were huge changes. If they weren't the game's population wouldn't have literally halved within a few months of that fraud expansion's release.

And you're defending the developers because we have bad things to say ? Wow, really ? This community has been providing feedback and trying to improve the game since forever with so many great suggestions through the years that simply got ignored. When they finally decide to rebalance something they pull ideas out of their behinds that will keep the game insanely imbalanced just swapping some places on the food chain. It's the players who spend countless hours in this game and it's our suggestions they should be developing and testing. We have every right to criticize their work (or lack of rather) because WE are the ones paying for it.
    No, I'm not. NTs are nowhere nearly as bad today as the were back then. Even with all the nerfs that were introduced. There were real changes made, like the one to reflects that was what we actually wanted back then.

And no, I'm not. You should read what I post instead of what you want to read to post some trolling. Also this development update is written without posting any of the other changes that are being made. Which is a stupid way to communicate. But I guess they expect people to piece together 50 different threads on the subject to get a coherent picture.
    The Red Brotherhood

I read your entire reply to me, it's a lot of words but not much being said there really.

I read your entire reply to me, it's a lot of words but not much being said there really.
    Not anything you liked, I guess. Stop trolling.
    The Red Brotherhood

You're clueless If you even knew anything, you'd realise that while they named that nano after me with one hand, the other hand permabanned me from the game.
    You are not that significant to me, that I would research your history.
    But I've been here as long as you have, and unlike you, I use the forums only once a great while when it is really important.
    And defeating this mandatory inspect change is really important!

I don't know what MMOs you want me to play, they all suck so much that there's no point in playing them. Who would inspect me? Why would they do it? You don't play with anyone in MMOs anymore.
    So, you have enough sense to see that "modern MMOs" suck, that's good.
    Then why do you support changes to AO that would it make like "modern MMOs"?

Who inspects you in other games?
    Everybody does, all the time.
    Even I inspected people before I ganked them in those games that allowed me to do that.
    And yes, I have kicked people from my teams for being "undergeared" without knowing how skilled they might have been.
    I did it, because these MMOs enabled me to do so, even though I'm not particularly proud of that now.

And that brings us to why would they inspect you?
    Apparently you didn't read this thread or just dismissed what people had to say who happen to disagree with you?
    Let's reiterate one more time what mandatory inspect is used for EVERYDAY in MMOs that have it:

Catching cheaters with inspect? Nope.
    Helping newbies with gear choices? Nope.

• Check for easy kills in PVP
      Check to kick from PVE groups
      Check for "elite" guild membership
      Check just so you can harass others for not having the best gear or best setup.

Mandatory inspect changes a whole game culture from "skill > gear" to "gear > skill".

I wasn't really kidding when I said in my previous post, that FC might as well add gear scores too.

So, if we're moving on to the part where we play with people you probably are doing it wrong if someone doesn't want to play with you because you are wearing bad gear. Sorry, you fail at MMOs.
    Yes, that's pretty standard for MMO forums.
    Once you ran out of substance and facts, use baseless insults or blame other players for the problems.
    Another reason why I'm not here.

Word of advice, arrogance meshes better with sophistication then blunt trolling.
    Considering how long you have been here, I would expect a tad better from you.
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

I know this post doesnt necessarily have anything to do with what you are talking about but...

When I first saw this game I thought the NanoTech class was going to be some kind of hacker like a decker is on shadow run. I expected this class to mess with other peoples NCU and do all sorts of crazy things with nano bots and computer programs. What I got was a mage. Man that made me sad.

How this pertains to the current conversation, well if people are running some mod to see others NCU, wouldnt it made sense if a specific class had that ability over everyone. I could see a nano tech being able to hack others NCU to see things, remove things, and inject things. This to me goes with the sci-fi setting that this game seems to falsely embrace while giving us standard fantasy mage fare.

I also dont understand the moaning about inspecting others. Like every game has it. How is others inspecting your character an invasion of privacy? To me it sounds more like people simply want to horde information as in they have a great build equipment wise and do not want others to mimic it. If Perks and such actually did what they should, being that they offer options outside the profession for you to mold your character into something special, then others seeing your gear wouldnt matter.

The gear score argument is also quite useless. If you want this game to have a population of size then you better expect to deal with people that you do not wish to deal with. In a game of size where gear matters, you will always get tards that will refuse to play with you over your gear, religion, political stance, and sexual orientation. Are we really fighting to hide these things in order to farm hecklers with *******s that you would never share a meal with in person? If you dont have the confidence to tell them to **** off and go your own way, then lets be honest, you do not want this game to have a larger population.

I would agree with some of the discontent over the profession changes. I dont want enforces to play like WoW warriors. If there are options to make an enforcer similar to a warrior in WoW, so be it, but it better not be the only option. As a newer player the problems I see with the professions is that everyone wants every profession to be able to do every thing. I would be fine having certain class solo better, some dps better, some heal better, some cc better, and so on. What I hate seeing is a class like enforce deal good damage, cc better than most, be peel resistant more than most, while also tanking better than anyone else.

Professions must have counters and if you make every melee character have immunity or root removals then you are simply playing the counter a counter game. The entire point of being ranged is so that you do not have to enter melee range to deal damage but when melee are simply immune to rooting or snares, what is the point. I am also not saying that every ranged should have a root or snare. With greater utility should come the cost of lacking either damage or defense. With this game so far I see very little give or take and its mostly all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    You are not that significant to me, that I would research your history.
    But I've been here as long as you have, and unlike you, I use the forums only once a great while when it is really important.
    And defeating this mandatory inspect change is really important!

So, you have enough sense to see that "modern MMOs" suck, that's good.
    Then why do you support changes to AO that would it make like "modern MMOs"?

Who inspects you in other games?
    Everybody does, all the time.
    Even I inspected people before I ganked them in those games that allowed me to do that.
    And yes, I have kicked people from my teams for being "undergeared" without knowing how skilled they might have been.
    I did it, because these MMOs enabled me to do so, even though I'm not particularly proud of that now.

And that brings us to why would they inspect you?
    Apparently you didn't read this thread or just dismissed what people had to say who happen to disagree with you?
    Let's reiterate one more time what mandatory inspect is used for EVERYDAY in MMOs that have it:

Catching cheaters with inspect? Nope.
    Helping newbies with gear choices? Nope.

• Check for easy kills in PVP
      Check to kick from PVE groups
      Check for "elite" guild membership
      Check just so you can harass others for not having the best gear or best setup.

Mandatory inspect changes a whole game culture from "skill > gear" to "gear > skill".

I wasn't really kidding when I said in my previous post, that FC might as well add gear scores too.

Yes, that's pretty standard for MMO forums.
    Once you ran out of substance and facts, use baseless insults or blame other players for the problems.
    Another reason why I'm not here.

Word of advice, arrogance meshes better with sophistication then blunt trolling.
    Considering how long you have been here, I would expect a tad better from you.
    Because AO needs more players as everyone seems to say all the time, and in earlier posts people said I was against new players by not agreeing with the "masses" that this change is bad. Just because modern MMOs in general suck does not mean that some of the designs they use are not good or useful.

If everyone goes "you can't play with me unless you wear ql300 gear in every slot" then I guess that person will never actually get to team with anyone. And even if you get in team with someone and you deceive them into thinking you're equipped top of the line, they'll likely think you are just bad...

IUf everyone runs around inspecting everyone and sees the performance of a player exceed what they thought was possible with "gimp" gear, because you will see some mixing up of people at one point or another, whether or not they want to be if either were in charge, then through information and experience you'll also debunk the idea that gear == performance. Or rather, just keep the idea alive that players can be better than their gear.

So, no, I still don't agree that this change is 100% bad. It will likely not change much for anyone, and the thought that this is all so extremely bad is just silly. In reality the only thing that's bad is the attitude of players, and designing your way out of bad attitudes is really, really difficult.

You said yourself that you kicked and lol'd at players for being geared lower than your expectations. Well, you can start there and bring the realisation of that not being true out in to the world.

I really am rather tired of all this helpless whining that people throw out here. If you only come on the forums for important things (read: things you don't like), then you really shouldn't have come here for this one, because it isn't the end of the world.
    The Red Brotherhood

I assume many of the people in this thread play on AO on their front porches and scream at the kids get off my lawn and point a hickory stick at them and scream "back in our day...."

I so do love the argument new mmos suck yet we are a dying game with less than 10k players left while wow has what 15 million??? Take the best from wow,guild wars aspects that can improve ao. Not everything just certain things.

You specifically used the example of targeting a noob fresh off newbie area, or just as similar, you know you will crush and attempt to trick him into a duel so as to gain a +1 on your duel stat. You cannot make that into a positive, no matter how you try.
    If you can't stand fighting someone who has superior gear, you probably won't be doing any fighting regardless of whether or not you know what the other person is wearing. And if you do accept, then it's because you enjoy a challenge and you probably would've accepted anyway.
    lol, seriously, that is the kind of arguing you wanna do? just claim random things i never said? i was the one not knowing my opponents gear, and you somehow try to turn it around and claim i only battle people with worse gear? dude, seriously, that is below preschool arguments, thats just silly. i really dont say that to offend you, but thats what it is, no matter what you say. inventing stuff to insult someone to not discuss an actual problem is just silly, and that is beyond discussion. checking someones gear to see if you will beat them is lame, no matter how hard YOU try to turn this around and no matter how much stuff you make up. as for you insulting me with stuff i never said: whatever dude, whatever.

And most people will knee-jerk against something new and strange to them. The disagreement I see is mainly based in "sploiters and such did this and your solution is to let everyone do it?" and not consider the overall impact of these changes to the way everyone plays pvp. Hidden information that is as powerful as it has become in AO is not good design, or fun for anyone except the one sitting on it. Add to that the ability for some to overcome the barrier through non-standard means and you end up with a situation like you have now, where hardly anyone pvps because of said problems.

Would you rather that many pvp, with open cards and spend their playing time finding out the new, best ways to handle this new information, or would you rather have pvp be even more intimidating and hostile to non-20 billion twinks who bought all their stuff and installed a few macros... that's really the question.
    that is the point my friend, most people would rather pvp not knowing their opponents exact setup and ncu all the time. i think that is boring and lame and requires zero skill. and you can call people who agree with me on that whatever you want...you'll end up playing the game alone, or not at all if the majority of people doesnt agree with you and leave the game. not all of them will quit, but a considerable number will. so you have fun with whoever is left with your "oh that guy has equip i can beat" and "oh ams/dof/stance/overrule... just ran out, now i need to push my buttons" pvp. hope you enjoy it, I wont. no matter what blah blah you say, no matter what prejudices about other people's opinions you have and no matter how hard you try to put words in other peoples mouths. the minute these changes hit live i will quit, and i by far am not the only one. i know you'll go on about how you don't care and blah blah. we'll see about that. there are just like 20 people actively pvping left in this game.
    Last edited by Xootch; Mar 2nd, 2014 at 22:51:48.

Because AO needs more players as everyone seems to say all the time, and in earlier posts people said I was against new players by not agreeing with the "masses" that this change is bad. Just because modern MMOs in general suck does not mean that some of the designs they use are not good or useful.
    AO is a niche game - only other game out there that compared to it is EVE.
    AO is for people who have patience, for people who like to twink their toons, and tinker with them for years on end.
    That's why I'm still here and I suspect that's why you are still here too.
    AO is not and should never be for the average modern gamer who feels entitled to everything and has an attention span of only a few weeks.

If FC would add all the "popular" MMO features to AO tomorrow, I predict that we won't see the next anniversary!

But this is taking the discussion into a new direction.
    I'm objecting to mandatory inspect because it changes the entire game culture. How to attract new players is a completely different issue.

If everyone goes "you can't play with me unless you wear ql300 gear in every slot" then I guess that person will never actually get to team with anyone. And even if you get in team with someone and you deceive them into thinking you're equipped top of the line, they'll likely think you are just bad...

IUf everyone runs around inspecting everyone and sees the performance of a player exceed what they thought was possible with "gimp" gear, because you will see some mixing up of people at one point or another, whether or not they want to be if either were in charge, then through information and experience you'll also debunk the idea that gear == performance. Or rather, just keep the idea alive that players can be better than their gear.

So, no, I still don't agree that this change is 100% bad. It will likely not change much for anyone, and the thought that this is all so extremely bad is just silly. In reality the only thing that's bad is the attitude of players, and designing your way out of bad attitudes is really, really difficult.

You said yourself that you kicked and lol'd at players for being geared lower than your expectations. Well, you can start there and bring the realisation of that not being true out in to the world.
    Change the attitudes of players?
    Sure, but that's all wishful thinking, it just doesn't work like that in real games.

I believe I have a social conscience and if I'm tempted to use mandatory inspect for less-than-savory purposes, one can be certain that others will too.

Once GEAR > SKILL is the modus operandi in a game, nobody will give a lower geared player a chance to prove their worth, perhaps not even his own guild.

I really am rather tired of all this helpless whining that people throw out here. If you only come on the forums for important things (read: things you don't like), then you really shouldn't have come here for this one, because it isn't the end of the world.
    So I should come here all the time, post in every topic and comment on every issue, regardless if I'm qualified to do so?
    In other words, I should be more like you?
    I have nothing to hide, but I value my privacy!
    I'm not on facebook, twitter or any other social media.
    I will never reveal my in-game characters or organizations on a public forum.
    If that upsets all the virtual exhibitionists, so be it!

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    I so do love the argument new mmos suck yet we are a dying game with less than 10k players left while wow has what 15 million??? Take the best from wow,guild wars aspects that can improve ao. Not everything just certain things.
    Copying wow is a recipe for disaster cause wow delivers wow better than anyone else, so people will just play wow instead of the wowclones. AO shines on being diferent, amongst other things.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

This dickering has gotten to the point of being absurd and since the devs aren't stopping it I wonder if they are reading it at all, which is another issue altogether. Have a nice day.

Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast