Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brainstorming: New guildbot

Brainstorming: New guildbot

Hey.
    Seeing as VhaBot (see 1) and BeBot doesn't seem to be maintained much (if at all) lately, and the BudaBot developers refusing to implement simple bugfixes without providing any convincing reason for why not (see 2a, 2b), I think it's time to get another alternative on the playing field. Therefore, I'm bumping the "Bot#" (bot-sharp) project up a few notches on my to-do list.

Bot# is an AO chatbot project initialized by Iriche and myself. It's written in c# (.Net 2.0), is based on vhabs Vha.Net library (the same library which powers Vha.Chat), and is intended to be a general-purpose guildbot with a simple yet powerful module system in mind.

Bot# originally came to be because both Iriche and I were working on our own, separate c# bots for personal use, and we decided to cooperate on making a common one. My motivation in this is to make a replacement for my existing PHP-based bot ("FLWBot").

Ideas & suggestions for features are welcome. Keep in mind, this is a brainstorming; A creative zone. I'm not interested in critique against the ideas people post here. You are not required to provide arguments for why we should consider your idea; But if you want to provide any points for/against, keep it short and clean.
    It would be preferable if you post a small description of your idea, maybe an example. Again, try to keep it short & clean.

I'll start with what I have already decided to port over from my current bot to the new one. Nothing in this list is final, and items may be replaced with ideas posted by you.

• Inter-guild relay
      • Through private groups
      • Through IRC
      • Through tells (discouraged)
      • Support for relaying chatblobs and item links
      • Shared alts list between connected guilds (optional)
      • Compatibility with VhaBot, BeBot and BudaBot relay protocols
      • Relay of public bots broadcast messages, preferably by joining their private groups
    • The normal, expected commands: online, whois, history, lca, is, item(s), news, level, xp, ai, team, pvp, roll, roster, calc, notes (personal & guild/relay-friendly), timer (both realtime and online)
    • Less common commands, such as RelayCommand, Show, quote
    • Windows and Linux (through mono) support
    • Easy setup & configuration (Easy to understand configuration files, and wizards)
    • Per-user tracking lists (makes !online show if that person you're buying something from is online, etc)
    • Integration with

Please post your ideas & thoughts; What would you like to see in a guildbot?
    Last edited by Demoder; Apr 3rd, 2011 at 14:53:57.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Relaying between Buda/BeBot maybe?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

C#, meh... C++ I might've been interested in coding as well =p

Anyway, support for sqlite or such for database might be nice for most "normal" users, instead of requiring full SQL server.
    Mireiawen Rose, 215/30/70 neut fixer, setup RK2
    Mireiwen Rose, 220/27/62 neut MA trader/tradeskiller, setup RK2
    Miraiwen Rose, 220/30/70 neut SMG soldier, setup RK2
    Miraeawen Rose, 220/27/70 neut MP, setup RK2
    Mireiaieawen Rose, 220/30/69 neut tank, RK2
    +bunch of others in Rose family...

President of Neutral Warriors | Neutnet mod | Mireiawen.net

Got superior pewpew or nerfbat? But it looks ugly, or you are just plain bored with everyone going around with same? Bump for Weapon Remodeling and get your unique looks!

Optional feed from the AOU Calendar?
    Right now the calendar is mainly filled with RP events or server downtimes, however if it is a bot feature that many people have on tap, perhaps it could be utilised for other things too.

this bot# will replace every guild-bot out there and....

i see currently huge delays with public news bots on RK2 and it most likely because of /tell spamming.

would it be possible to have guild-bot join public bots private group and reduce the need of tell-spam to fractions? the public bots would also need to support this...

(the best way would prolly be completely getting rid of tells and _only_ use private groups to broadcast public messages)

------ tools ----
    simple calculator
    note book - personal(alt friendly) / guild
    timer / countdown
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Added everything above to the list.

Otansaanpas: The internal working name is actually SkyBot. On a more serious note, it'd be fun if someone found use of the bot once it starts sha(r)ping up.
    Last edited by Demoder; Mar 23rd, 2011 at 22:37:01.
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

nvm, u already added it without me reading the whole first post ><

Feel free to use the market monitor
    http://rubi-ka.com/services.php
    John 'Novagen' Wright
    Currently on leave from Omni-Pol
    Omni-Tek Representative
    Chair of the Omni Organisational Committee

The Leet - Chat client for Android
    People of Rubi-Ka Revamped

Grid mail: novagen@omni-pol.net

Have made an image representing a "simplified bot layout", here.
    This would mostly be interesting for people who may have an interest in developping plugins; Once the core is ready for that.
    Last edited by Demoder; Mar 31st, 2011 at 08:20:56.

Ability to restart from a webserver... bot.myhost.xx.xx so anyone from org could give bot a kick if it went down or restart if became sloppy. Access by username and password use .htaccess file ofc

Wkd, do you mean restart as in hardrestart, that it has crashed and dont respond or do you mean restart as in just a reload but from webpage?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

Quote Originally Posted by wkdboi2 View Post
    Ability to restart from a webserver... bot.myhost.xx.xx so anyone from org could give bot a kick if it went down or restart if became sloppy. Access by username and password use .htaccess file ofc
    I'm not sure what you mean, but I'll try to cover all the bases.

In case of 'hard crashes' (the bot program crashing):
    I'll try to add a "cronrc" for linux users, and something similar for windows users, so they can use their respective task schedulers to 'start' the bot on a regular basis, which would only start the bot if it's not already running.

In case of a BotCore entering a deadlock:
    Will have to add some detection to this, and have the launcher restart the affected BotCore.

In case of a Master or Slave bot not reconnecting:
    This should already be "impossible" (provided you're not blocked from connecting to AOs chat server). Will add a note about making sure to test this throughly.

In case of wanting centralized hosting solutions:
    There will be a way of defining a separate databse to use instead of the .Xml file for various private settings. This database could easily hold a queue table for "console commands" to run on the bot, allowing you to do anything remotely/via a website, which you could do at the console interface of the bot.

In case the above does not cover what you had in mind, please clarify. (Yes, I'm a little slow some times.)
    Last edited by Demoder; Apr 1st, 2011 at 08:12:19.

Hi Demoder,

What I was hoping for was a BIG RED or GREEN Button something like (RED OFF ? GREEN ON) so that the less tech savvy members of AO and my guild could go to say www.bot.myorg.com and their have a page with the BIG BUTTON which would restart of turn of the bot as needs require.

Also if their could be an online list, sorted by rank as well would be KEWL
    Last edited by wkdboi2; Apr 1st, 2011 at 11:12:11. Reason: Forgot to add track topic :(

If the bot is totally dead, not sure if it can restart itself... Tho I guess it could be possible to set up some script that is run by web server which tries to kill the bot and then restart.

Got superior pewpew or nerfbat? But it looks ugly, or you are just plain bored with everyone going around with same? Bump for Weapon Remodeling and get your unique looks!

Make use of some templating engine for producing AOML blob output.
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Quote Originally Posted by Graftmage View Post
    Make use of some templating engine for producing AOML blob output.
    As in, string replacement semi-scripting?
    Or more as in OOP codewise creation of AOML?
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    As in, string replacement semi-scripting?
    Yes, introduce a view layer, like in web frameworks. Will make writing of plugins an easier task.
    I do believe that .NET has a template engine built in (T4), but I am not sure if you're able to compile it's templates in runtime and if it has good support on mono and older .NET versions.
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

In VhaBot I worked with more of a runtime API that builds up an AOML string within an object.
    Instead of typing out AOML, you'd type out functions in the right order.

This worked quite well for building up listings and such.

For Vha.Chat there's a library called Vha.AOML which has a DOM for AOML.
    I'm considering make some tools around that to make it easier to work with.

That was my initial idea at least.

But a template engine might be worth exploring.
    The engine you mentioned (if I found the right one) seems a bit complex and verbose though.
    Generally, plugin output isn't all that complicated.
    It might add a bit too much complexity to plugin development, considering the needs.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Some nice options/features:
    -ability to show !online, cloak/raid status, news/topic on logon
    -!quote function probably one of the most used in my org outside the basics
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

Ability to relay commands by users and results between channels. Option maybe, but would be nice to avoid following:

long silence
    Bot: [Org] Person: Anybody got that?
    Me: Got what?

When PersonA had just did !items

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast