Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - August 6th, 2010 - Preemptively Recursive

It appears that some posters are not aware that there is a SEARCH feature in these forums, and that IF they bothered to actually do a LITTLE research, they can find out PLENTY about the new graphics engine and it's progress.

The ratio between informed and uninformed players is about 1/100 it seems, with most of the uninformed ones whining, crying and predicting the end of days (not bible, end of AO that is) after NINE mofo years that AO has been running... it was meant to be a 4year long game, now it's past twice that and going toward the 10th year.

The same amount of time it takes someone to blindly troll and make a post, pretty much could be spend searching and reading to CATCH UP on what is going on regarding any aspect of the game the person has an interest in.

Colin is the Game Director, not everyone's answering machine ffs.

If you do have questions based on information released by Means of any of the Devs, then please do share your opinion and view based on fact and not speculation, hearsay, rumors or trolls bull****.

The man is the best GD we got, he's slept in his office on his days off, and I bet got wife aggro a few times for trying to finish something for the Community.

He ain't perfect, but IMHO all his predecessors combined couldn't do any better than he has.

I like to read replies to FWM that could get new info, maybe some clarifications and even feedback that may get the Devs to consider some changes/improvements to the game. Suggestions forum ain't the only place they look at.

In short... less troll, more thinking, please.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Niles View Post
    Time too kick ass and chew bubblegum... and im all outta gum
    time to kick bubblegum and chew ass, and I'm all out of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    >Post of pure awesome<
    You Sir... Are a god.. *bows*
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

Now... Let me wipe that brown of your nose... Hold still...

There. It's better now.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

He ain't perfect, but IMHO all his predecessors combined couldn't do any better than he has.
    I think this calls for a serious dose of QFT.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by -Klod- View Post
    Now... Let me wipe that brown of your nose... Hold still...

There. It's better now.
    He had some Klod on his nose..so what. Means own.

Means is the only one working on AO and all the previous GD did nothing good, right? I have nothing against Means but I have respect for his predecessors and the team he's working with.

Saying he did better than all his predecessors combined is stupid, there wouldn't even be AO without them.. They all did good and bad things. You are just acting with Means like you used to with Sil, and now you are bashing on him. So nice..
    Last edited by NoGoal; Aug 7th, 2010 at 13:09:21. Reason: Typos
    blah

gg & thx to GSP people (and nushen's smexy voice ^^).

about the PVP PF, if the invisible walls are gonna stay it might be better to remove most of the "short" buildings where roof seemed accessible in a jump.
    someone mentionned that wasn't that great to have visual elements (like less than 2m apparent fence) tricking the eyes because an invisible wall was making it lot taller. i think it's true.

ps : was this post & is right
    Quote Originally Posted by cbus97 View Post
    I can't jump over a chain link fence that's barely taller than my toon? I understand that we don't want people abusing rooftops, but graphics should accurately reflect where you can go.
    i can understand the pet profession issue justifies to forbid roof. also i understand what guided the design was also the look of the city. but between those constrains i'd rather have fewer building visually taller (like shop in OA, tir tower or rome's complex) than lotta them visually short and tricked by invisible walls.

i don't know if that makes sense ?
    Last edited by bitnykk; Aug 7th, 2010 at 13:46:46.
    Bitnykk/Bittorrent - young RL of AP & old emissary of CODE

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    Means is the only one working on AO and all the previous GD did nothing good, right? I have nothing against Means but I have respect for his predecessors and the team he's working with.

Saying he did better than all his predecessors combined is stupid, there wouldn't even be AO without them.. They all did good and bad things. You are just acting with Means like you used to with Sil, and now you are bashing on him. So nice..
    I got to disagree with you there. Previous GD's (specially those before Sil) didn't just made a few small mistakes, they made huge ones. A good number of them was releasing content which was not ready to be released.

I recall many players (who now no longer play AO) saying "wtf is this crap, why release broken stuff?" for years. People got fed up, and moved on to other games.

Notum Wars, there were bugs, exploits and I think because compared to other expansions (excuse me, booster packs) it was small, the issues with it were resolved within a short period of time (months).

Shadowlands, good idea, bad execution (and was released incomplete, they were still developing areas which they HOPED players wouldn't powerlevel to). Took years to fix, still being worked on to improve it.

Alien Invasion, great concept but the same (suprise!) bad release , with bugs, things which were clearly OP and increasing the unbalanced gameplay.

Add to that the fact that it appeared up to that point at least, that Devs wouldn't talk to anyone outside the test server. All we would get was the email about a new expansion, how awesome it was (but never mentioned we were going to be beta testers in the live dimensions) and some appealing screenshots.

It wasn't until Craig came into the scene (Silirrion) first as the Community Dude and then as GD that the playerbase and the Devs actually got to communicate more realistically.

I've said this before. Sil built a bridge between FC and us, and Means crossed it and shook out hands.

I could go on about specific GD's and their gigantic fails which cost us thousands of players (therefore income to improve the game faster), got the game a bad name which took years to recover (not fully, many still think AO is still a heavily broken MMO). But then I'd need a lot of coffee and recall many bad memories.

Yeah, they tried. But I'm pretty sure that each GD's "vision" of AO was so different and based on THEIR concept of the game that while one went left, the next one just went right since the previous turn was no good, instead of stopping and asking for directions (talking to the playerbase) to see what was the best course to take.

Sil without a doubt began the turn around, but he was not a Dev. However the time he was AO's GD definitely got him the experience to become AoC's GD and improve that game as well.

However, if you combine all the previous GD's, you will see similar problems, no communication, released content in beta stage rather than polished (yeah sometimes a few bugs will slip, but not to the point which takes years to fix), ignoring bugs just because they are small and aren't "game breaking", etc.

Did I get every single expansion when they came out? Hell yeah.
    Did I enjoy most of them? Yes, I did.

I was PO'ed at all the broken stuff, but tried to enjoy the parts which were not, and to be honest for the first five years I was immersed in RP which isn't affected by bugs and broken content.

However I did notice people leaving the game because of it, which over time did affect the RP aspect of the game (less gamers = less roleplayers).

Tir used to be crowded to the point that it would crash due to so many players in that pf, far more than OA is now. You could easily find teams without the current LFT interface at all levels.

Those times are gone, we adapt, we work with what we have. AO is now a small MMO, but compared to most others out there, much friendlier, a tight community (even tho we disagree with each other quite a bit on different topics) and a good Dev Team.

I think that how things are now, are about 1000% better than before, but the mistakes from the past can't be forgotten, forgiven maybe, but if we forget all the crap we had to go through, how can we avoid stepping on the same pile of... poop?

So how bad was it? 20-25% enjoyment, 75-80% frustration since 2001 beta days into quite a few years, now I think I enjoy the game about 90% of the time.

But this is my personal opinion, you can disagree and praise the previous Game Directors all you want, it's your choice.

Mine, is to be happy most of them are no longer in the position they were, we got an upgrade and I like it.
    Last edited by Windguaerd; Aug 7th, 2010 at 15:24:45. Reason: Typo
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).

Good post

It wasn't until Cragg came into the scene (Silirrion) first as the Community Dude and then as GD that the playerbase and the Devs actually got to communicate more realistically.
    Obviously you meant Craig Morrison, not Colin Cragg

Quote Originally Posted by Junttius View Post
    Good post

Obviously you meant Craig Morrison, not Colin Cragg
    Pwned by a typo, fixed. Thanks =D

blah
    Yes I got it, Means is awesome and you want his babies. He never did mistakes and never released content too early. Also he's doing everything on his own, others just play guitar hero all day long.

Players who left due to bad GD? Right.. But with Means in charge they are all back. Not. There are far more external reasons that made players quit rather than GD suck and game is bugged.

And asking directions to the playerbase? That's probably the worst thing to do. As a game developer you should know your game, or at least take the time to know it. If you don't, you shouldn't be there.

Everything you are reproaching to other GDs happened under Means 'reign' too. Be it Xan booster, daily missions, collector, etc. They all (we|a)re unfinished. The only release that was pretty much done when patched on live and that I can remember was Dark Ruins. Now that I talk about it, maybe it was made by another team :P Everything else needed several patches (and some still do). Noone to blame here, it happens in all MMOs. (Dare I to say, for any software?)

All this crap of text for just this: Redde Caesari quae sunt Caesaris.
    blah

nothing about a way to tab people of your own faction? thats the main issue for alot of us

Quote Originally Posted by heartless888 View Post
    nothing about a way to tab people of your own faction? thats the main issue for alot of us
    ctrl+tab
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    Blah Blah Blah, twist some words, Blah Blah, weak attempt to be witty...

All this crap of text for just this: Redde Caesari quae sunt Caesaris.
    Redde Caesari quae sunt Caesaris: Render unto Caesar the things which are Caesar’s

You have your opinion, I have mine.
    Last edited by Windguaerd; Aug 7th, 2010 at 17:17:38. Reason: typo

I just got my new computer today and I downloaded the full client thing and installed it, then started the automated patching thing. It worked perfectly for me. The whole patching thing took only like 15 min and then I was ready to log in.

So to answer your qurestion, I personally didn't have any check sum errors or such. (using 64bit windows 7)
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    I just got my new computer today and I downloaded the full client thing and installed it, then started the automated patching thing. It worked perfectly for me. The whole patching thing took only like 15 min and then I was ready to log in.

So to answer your qurestion, I personally didn't have any check sum errors or such. (using 64bit windows 7)
    that's honestly the best way to resolve 99% of all updating/patching problems. I don't get why it's so hard for people to do this. a fresh install of anything usually helps more than any patchwork struggles, and takes about the same time.
    AO: ▐ Renamed 220/30 adv▐ Giit 200/30 NT game over setup▐ Somethiing 199/21 Confused Sold▐ Sixunder 158/21 tard ▐ Eightup 150/20 flex▐ Giitjiit 57/6 NT▐
    FFXIV: Giit Paradisian - 50 CNJ/White Mage - Hyperion server

Quote Originally Posted by Frubaliscious View Post
    that's honestly the best way to resolve 99% of all updating/patching problems. I don't get why it's so hard for people to do this. a fresh install of anything usually helps more than any patchwork struggles, and takes about the same time.
    the logic of this argument (totally unrelated to what frubaliscious was talking about) also follows the likelyhood that if funcom had've started working on an AO2 3 years ago, it would've been done/near completion now. but, whats done is done. at least we won't have to start from scratch when new engine hits, because I probably wouldn't.
    wtf happened to my avatars eyebrows?

I used to listen to Dubstep in the 90's... every time I connected to the internet.

Expedite this contagious flag stuff. This is the most annoying thing ever.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast