Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - September 3rd, 2010 - Battlestation changes

Just a thought.

This could bring more strategy into bs.

The lower 60 % of the toons in bs will be responsible for vehicle warfare, and the top 25% the PVP capping aspect. The middle 15% will just hide in the corner somewhere.

This will bring back the turrets and mechs again.
    I use to enjoy the 20 on 20 bs that had many mech war fights.

Other then that it will be nice to get VP more often.
    Last edited by Caighil3; Sep 3rd, 2010 at 23:08:15.
    "Yeah when I walk as a shadow through the valley of death I will be feared as evil!"

Also regarding LE Nukes. I think they are being nerfed in the balance.
    "Yeah when I walk as a shadow through the valley of death I will be feared as evil!"

Coming from a TL2/3/4 perspective, I love these changes, thank you for making my twinks made for NW usuable in BS without me having to make a level 74 to join in the BS fun.
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Deathorglory said:
    IMO the level ranges have nothing to do with the battlestations being dead. I think these problems have a lot more to do with it:

a. BS are side vs side, sometime there's 30 of one side and none of the other. result: no BS
    b. BS are full of people who are there for different reasons and they piss eachother off. PvM-ers leave because they are ripped to shreads by everyone, PvP-ers leave because of the constant 4-capping PvM-ers, or because most of his side are PvM-ers who can't do anything. result: no more BS.
    c. BS are totally boring. same map over and over, have to fight same people over and over. if one side has an advantage by having a lot of certain key professions, the other side can be sure that the next BS will have the same result as the previous one. So they don't sign up anymore, afterall what's the point ? result: no more BS for anyone.

If you want to revive BS, do one ore more of these:

1. scrap the whole side vs side idea it just doesn't work with such a low population even if it makes sense from a RP point of view. make it red vs blue or something.
    2. randomize the sides, so that someone who was on the other side one round might be on your side the next. that way if you lost one round because the other side was overwhelmingly powerful, the next round won't be exactly the same ppl vs the same ppl and there will be a chance that your side wins next. this will result in people not leaving after having lost 1 or 2 rounds in a row
    3. dump the whole VP rewards thing. or at least make it so those who do not want to go there, don't have to go there. don't mix pvp-ers with pvm-ers, that's just no fun for anyone. And for crying out loud don't give me the excuse that if you don't want to pvp then don't go to BS, because there's absolutely no way anyone can do without VPs. For many professions, they cant equip this symb or can't equip that weapon or they can't get 2001 CL or there's something they can't twink into if they don't have this or that ofab item. And LE missions are wrong on so many levels I don't even wanna get started on that
    4. make more maps !!!
    5. make more types of games, capture the flag is getting really boring now
    6. use common sense! recognize already that the BS thing didn't work out the way you initially thought it out, accept it, change the RP story behind it and make it work
    I'd have to agree with many of the points here. The changes to the pvp ranges in BS (may be affecting NW also knowing the patch track records) I can see in some ways for the upcoming playfield but the effort put in seems misplaced. I'd much rather see more variety in the maps and types of Battlestation rounds than changes in the mechanics of it because it's a quick fix. Also a lot of the folks who have gotten past 800k vp's in Battlestation (before daily missions were introduced) would LOVE some new scenery in there as well as new people and new challenges offered by such.

I look forward to seeing what the changes do in the long run but please consider that if your goal as a company is to keep players happy and retain them as paying customers that simply reintroducing new playfields with limited content but not addressing the actual replayability and fun factor is not the best business.

In closing I would like to highlight
    1. scrap the whole side vs side idea it just doesn't work with such a low population even if it makes sense from a RP point of view. make it red vs blue or something.

2. randomize the sides, so that someone who was on the other side one round might be on your side the next. that way if you lost one round because the other side was overwhelmingly powerful, the next round won't be exactly the same ppl vs the same ppl and there will be a chance that your side wins next. this will result in people not leaving after having lost 1 or 2 rounds in a row

4. make more maps !!!
    5. make more types of games, capture the flag is getting really boring now

Meatballs. Food, food !

No seriously, this is almost ridiculous, no offense though. Of course it could make BS a lot more active, at least for the first two days, until people get bored of getting killed all over again because they cannot struggle against people whom have a lot more levels than them. But yeah, why not ...
    So it doesn't seem to be a solution in itself.

Let's see how it goes. Could give it a try, but most people won't like it, I think. Previous BS' ranges weren't that bad, even though some of them were literally empty, I joined the 74, 174 and 220 capped stations and, with a bit of work, you could always do something pretty decent, but now, hum.
    Angevil, proud 220 MA from Rimor.
    Flourishing anew. About twelve GUI/Perk/Armor setups done so far, hopefully that one will outlast the criticism of my perfectionism!

Ars Magna. Histories became artifacts, images of poor effect, memories filled with acts and neglect
    As a vulture of cultures I indeed feed my seeds with much greed, soaked in pleasure I succeed

Can we please get the "Unique" tag removed from anti-armor rockets? Sounds like they're usage is about to go up.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Really? Your going to make it so that (for example since this is one of the most active bs') lvl 200s can totally wipe out the 150s that sign up? Is that really a challenge at all? You don't think that this is going to be frustrating for those that want to sign up for bs?

So let me get this straight, if someone wants to acquire vp from BS or have a chance at surviving, they HAVE to get to the higher lvl's of the lvl brackets for the bs?

wow guys, you outdid yourselves on this one
    Atlantean
    ------------------
    Postmuerta - 210/10 Solitus Soldier

Kamaytayan - 220/17 Solitus Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by -Stage- View Post
    Ok, I admit I haven't taken my NT to BS in a long time, but either this is bullcrap, or you're just terrible. 170 agents are indeed evil to NTs, but killing them faster than they can get a nuke off? This is not a regular occurance. TL5 NTs really aren't glass cannons unlesss they suck.
    i guess I'm just terrible then. any NT in offensive focus is alpha food for 170 agents that know what they're doing. a 200 NT will fall just as fast.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Deathorglory View Post
    This is what everyone has been saying for probably a couple of years now. Its the best thing they could do, but they seem to be ignoring everyone. But thats pretty much how things work around here
    Colawren - Gimpest stripped adventurer on RK1.
    Reroll Enthusiast.
    The alts: Colawrenn, Iriotz, Empea

Proud member of Forsaken and Unity of the Rose.

Great news about the teleport steps in BS *thumbs up*

...now, about stacking these personal furnaces and other ts items? Wheres the feedback!111!
    .:: Stigman : 220 / 30 / 70 : NM Engineer (PVM 35% Crit) : I Make It, You Buy It : FIRST Omni NM Engi to hit 220/30/70 on RK1 ::.
    .:: Stigmartyr : 220 / 30 / 70 : Opi Shade (Neutral) : Piercing Princess ::.
    .:: Levinstein : 220 / 30 / 70 : Opi Agent : Sneaky Sniper ::.
    .:: Lexstein : 150 / 20 / 42 : Trox Engineer : Sector Ten : Currently the ONLY 150/20/42 Trox Engi on RK1 ::.

Quote Originally Posted by Colawrenn View Post
    This is what everyone has been saying for probably a couple of years now. Its the best thing they could do, but they seem to be ignoring everyone. But thats pretty much how things work around here
    WoW 10 people bitching on the forums and 20 heckn00bs are "everyone"? =P
    Sure theres some support but most people ether dont give a... fly.. or they are opposed to it due to it making no sense at all and would be a PURE pg adaptation of the game.. Slippery slope, and if they start going down it the game will be gone faster then you can pawn a fr00b..

It seems to me like they should merge the lower TL BSs as planed and 200-220... But leave the TLs around 5 intact..
    Rktim - 220/70/30 Omni Soldier.
    Imdrunknow - 157+/XX/15+ Omni MA
    Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Messiah has spoken.

While this sounds like a lovely change there are a couple of aspects that needs to be looked into, most has already been mentioned. People cry because they won't be at the top of the foodchain, the bottom of the foodchain will remain the same, a good 150 won't beat an equally good 174 (unless it's profession imbalance), in just the same way that a good 150 won't beat a good 200. But a good 150 will still be able to beat a gimpy 200 and they will get even more pvp points for doing so :P (unless there's profession imbalance).

I can understand the need for a level 150-200 BS instead of a 190-220 BS, froobs are players as well, a level 200 froob is still lower in the foodchain than a 150 expansion player, but at least there is a chance to win. A 220 against a 201 is a bit weird, I doubt that even a good 201 will be able to take down a gimpy 220, I guess an uber 201 would be able to though. But then again, a good 210 won't beat a good 220, as long as the 220 isn't AFK.

I really do like the planned changes, but there are major issues that needs to be addressed first. The big issues for 150-200 to work:

- HHAB (if level <= 200 NR = 0 ^^)

- LE 70 (much more LE 70 than AI 30, AI 30 won't do nearly as much), while it's hard to limit this, it really has to be limited. TL5 PvP is still alive because that's where towers starts to get really good, while of course the argument for "people don't do towers" exist, that wasn't the case when it first became popular. I can agree that up to level 8 is fine, change so that level 9 and 10 starts at 201 and add in a system that checks if the player has already completed level 9 or 10, if they have, let them keep it but not use the effect until they reach the correct level.

- New nanos (where most will be reworked in rebalance, but that is still far away)
    * GTH at level 200, needs to be changed to 201.
    * Sacrifical Shielding (can be casted at TL5 with a pocket trader, but can be casted self at 200, not that MP's are overly OP to begin with though).

Minor issues:
    - AI 30, I really don't see a big difference here, there's not that much new added in terms of anything, most will go Champ of x, champ of nano and their profession perk line, with that they'll have 4 more perks to spend for either alpha/beta 3. It's not like the top of most AI perklines is opened up. There's no MR, there's no champion 10, there's no survival, there's no sphere. What a player can get remains the same, just that they have the ability to add 6 more perks compared to 170.

Now for some of the good things:
    - Maxed out froobs gets a chance for some action.
    - All professions will be able to do QL 300 ofab with the right breed.
    - The power difference between professions will be evened out, enforcers, agents and adventurers will actually fall down to a more balanced level. Traders will however rise to new heights if GTH stays the same, but if it's not their drains will lose some effect and balance them out as well. Soldier's might be a potential new powerhouse, keepers and shades get's their chance to shine a bit. NT's would get more damage, but their evades will take a hit as others also levels to 200. Doctor's CH is more realistic to beat one on one as people get more perks.

Oh well, I passed TLDR; long ago, I'm all in for this change, just make sure that the above mentioned big issues are addressed before adding the changes.
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

Like the changes inc.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    New Level ranges:

1-30
    31-60
    61-99
    100-149
    150-200
    201-220
    What the...

Level 1 to THIRTY? Are you people mad? Level 1s barely run faster than they walk, and you're expecting them to knock elbows with people that can equip JAME Blaster Prototypes on their level 30 Trader twinks and perk NR1? This is insipid.

Players will likely not be very competitive with an average setup at the bottom of their level range...but at least they will be able to participate.
    Oh well that's all fine and good then. I'm sure level 201s will be just dandy when they fight players that are around 95 levels adjusted over them. "At least they'll be able to participate"...

And thanks for finally giving me a reason to kill my Martial Artist. I had tons of fun rolling him as a level 30, and then as a level 49, worked hard and managed Menkyo... and now to have any sort of chance versus level 60 twinks, he'll have to level to 60? A minor complaint maybe... but in my eyes I'm not happy with this at all.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Saetos View Post
    What the...
    Level 1 to THIRTY? Are you people mad? Level 1s barely run faster than they walk, and you're expecting them to knock elbows with people that can equip JAME Blaster Prototypes on their level 30 Trader twinks and perk NR1? This is insipid.
    Do you want a 1-10 BS or something that would never EVER be used? Really, tears pls

And thanks for finally giving me a reason to kill my Martial Artist. I had tons of fun rolling him as a level 30, and then as a level 49, worked hard and managed Menkyo... and now to have any sort of chance versus level 60 twinks, he'll have to level to 60? A minor complaint maybe... but in my eyes I'm not happy with this at all.
    GOD DAMN MY 149 TWINK IS USELESS?!!!!!!! jesus dude, things change, get a grip.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by notcrattey View Post
    Do you want a 1-10 BS or something that would never EVER be used? Really, tears pls
    Please justify how a lvl 1 is going to beat a lvl 30? Go ahead, i'll wait.

GOD DAMN MY 149 TWINK IS USELESS?!!!!!!! jesus dude, things change, get a grip.
    Pull your head out your ***, or better yet out of FC's ***. The level change for battlestations is possibly one of the stupidest things i've seen FC come up with.

It was never a problem with level range. The level ranges were perfectly fine. It's the monotony of the ONE battlestation map coupled with low playerbase that makes it not run.

And @ Rurounin's comment with "froobs are players too." Yes, they are, but they are not paying money as we paying players are. Paying players should get priority over froobs, due to the fact that we are the ones keeping AO going by supporting the dev's with paychecks. If froobs make SUCH a big impact on the game, why not make AO F2P then?
    Atlantean
    ------------------
    Postmuerta - 210/10 Solitus Soldier

Kamaytayan - 220/17 Solitus Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Overall I can't really see the sound reason for this change, unless they somehow intend to lessen the difference in power between toons from either end of the range.

Unless it's just another scheme to force even more PvM cannon fodder from a larger level range into the hands of "hardcore" PvP'ers.

Whatever the reason I don't think it will be for the better... for AO that is.
    I think that the changes in BS ranges are good! BS is only good for doing the BS daily missions and getting VP anyway... If I bring PvM toon to BS it will die anyway so it doesn't matter whether I'm getting killed by toon my own level or almost 50 levels higher as long as I get my VP and BS daily done.

all 170ish twinks are....
    Pwned...

omg!

lol.. please tell me these are some random level ranges you came up with and not something that someone in dev team actually took seriously.. please..
    <Means> I always laugh when I have to type "/get sex" when debugging

[Social] Eponyx: I don't drink, yeah it is true. Can you please get that pink moose of the platform. And park the polkadot elephant to reclaim.

Uaintseenme: This is why i love Test sever so Much.
    I can wake up in the morning and think to my self, "Im going to break AO today" and should i managed to do it, I'll get rewarded for it.

So, anyone want 2 paid accs and 4 froob accs for free? :P I just spent 3b building a TL5 PvP twink, now I wanna quit AO ;(

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast