Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Important Community Announcement

It makes me sad to see both of you go, you'll be missed! But I wish you good fortune on your future course nonetheless.

P.S. It seems most of the former AO developers are now "back" in europe. How about relocating the AO development here and maybe get some of them back. ;P
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Quote Originally Posted by Misat0 View Post
    P.S. It seems most of the former AO developers are now "back" in europe. How about relocating the AO development here and maybe get some of them back. ;P
    why do you think getting them back would change something when they failed and left the first time ?
    Genele: ofc I come back to u difs. U used to look as hot as me

While I didn't agree with all of Genele's design decisions, specially on the priority given to some fixes, I must say that she did have plenty of the most important virtue a GD must have. The courage to go ahead with her vision and do what she considered necessary to fix the game. I think she is a good game designer and will in time become a good game developer. All she needs is to keep her priorities. I would say they are:Basic game design principles first. Respect for the initial concepts of a game second. Her own vision and ideas in third place. And finally implementing the occasional good suggestion posted on the forums. GG Genele, good luck and a less broken game to work on in the future.

As for everybody's favorite coder I can say nothing but wish him good luck on the future.

Good luck for the new guy. I hope you can find a new game to work on soon. If the first things you do is cave in to the wishes of the existing player base you are never going to be able to renovate the game and bring in new players. Good luck catering to the same few old trolls.

I dont see this as a goodbye thread so much as a, "Things were worse before, now they are going to get even worse (HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!)". The consolidated/"live team" (as Joel the giant newb put it) as stated by Joel has been around for a "couple of years" and during that time NO development help has been given to AO. Why am I so sure of this? Because over the past couple of years the speed in which AO is developed has gone down immensely along with communication. A lack of both indicates a lack of development.

Only now when push has come to shove does FC have to redirect some of their resources to AO, but this is only temporary until they hire 1-2 people to work on AO and then the redirected help from the "live" team will go back to working on all games but AO. FC has shown no initiative in training the other development staff to handle AO and it will remain that way even after AO goes to Steam and engine is released and the population increases some.

There have been many hiccups in development for AO/FC games such as moving locations, consolidating resources and losing people. However, with this recent surprise it seems that the engine wont get understood for many months if not a year or more down the road thus pushing development of the engine back even further which also pushes Steam release back. While all I can do is entrust that Michizure will do what he can to get things done I feel that FC needs to take a serious look at AO development and either direct the "live" team to start hammering issues out for AO or just stop trolling us with Joel making these convoluted statements about AO development.

Basically, I want a statement from FC stating how they are going to make AO better and what they are going to do and what they are going to do for me (me meaning the player/you/community).

I live in a world of cupcakes, unicorns, rainbows and sunshine. I fart sprinkles that make me float and swim in chocolate rivers. Oh how one can dream for something better.

Funcom's plan for AO is to change game directors every few years after the community gets fed up with the bad decisions and vaporware promises. Judging from the comments in here it still works.

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    I dont see this as a goodbye thread so much as a, "Things were worse before, now they are going to get even worse (HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!)". The consolidated/"live team" (as Joel the giant newb put it) as stated by Joel has been around for a "couple of years" and during that time NO development help has been given to AO. Why am I so sure of this? Because over the past couple of years the speed in which AO is developed has gone down immensely along with communication. A lack of both indicates a lack of development.

Only now when push has come to shove does FC have to redirect some of their resources to AO, but this is only temporary until they hire 1-2 people to work on AO and then the redirected help from the "live" team will go back to working on all games but AO. FC has shown no initiative in training the other development staff to handle AO and it will remain that way even after AO goes to Steam and engine is released and the population increases some.

There have been many hiccups in development for AO/FC games such as moving locations, consolidating resources and losing people. However, with this recent surprise it seems that the engine wont get understood for many months if not a year or more down the road thus pushing development of the engine back even further which also pushes Steam release back. While all I can do is entrust that Michizure will do what he can to get things done I feel that FC needs to take a serious look at AO development and either direct the "live" team to start hammering issues out for AO or just stop trolling us with Joel making these convoluted statements about AO development.

Basically, I want a statement from FC stating how they are going to make AO better and what they are going to do and what they are going to do for me (me meaning the player/you/community).

I live in a world of cupcakes, unicorns, rainbows and sunshine. I fart sprinkles that make me float and swim in chocolate rivers. Oh how one can dream for something better.
    I 100% agree..
    and lmfao at the end..everyone around me is like wtf, bahaha

i wish. i doubt funcom is ever going to sell rights to AO

...lord let brain rain at marketing office i only can say
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. [attributed to Albert Einstein]

This is probably the clearest message we've had to date that continued development of AO is a lost cause.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The very best that we can hope for at this point, is to keep the game open and playable for a few more years. To do this, you need to cater to the needs of present and past players. Forget trying to bring in the WoW generation. Forget about the new engine. Forget about Steam. Do what you can to fix the new player experience, leveling and itemization. Do what you can to add new content. Do what you can to balance professions. Eliminate all expansion locks, make the game truly free to play with an expanded item shop.

Anything else is going to be an utter waste of time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahela View Post
    Forget trying to bring in the WoW generation.
    Yeah, wow is best at being wow.

I like how AO is more like a virtual world than a game. H8 SL tho.

Do what you can to fix the new player experience, leveling and itemization
    this

i wish they could just complete this engine stuff so we can get on steam, it for sure increase population a bit. once agein eve went from a dead game in a time to 500,000 players becose they changed evrything and did what the community had asked for.

wildstar that was gonna be a big game when it was released this summer. it died becose they totaly ignored community. would asume companies now would stop ignore the community since they are basicly what desidea if a game gonna live of die. world of warcraft was ignorant aswell, but when they had lost a few milion subscribers they went 100% for community and the game kinda increasing very slow but it stopped looseing members
    Last edited by Le-Quack; Aug 23rd, 2014 at 21:22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    Multiple former FC employees still post on the forums. You will note their background color is darker and they no longer have the Funcom tag on their posts. This includes Lindelu, Kintaii, Vhab, and on rare occasions Means.
    typical ana, always forgetting about me.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    But you don't have that nice dev look...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

18.7 was originally going to be the new engine
    They killed my hope there

Then it was going to be the NPE with some aspects of rebalance
    Broke everything, killed my hope

Then it was going to be out THIS SUMMER
    So that 18.7 patch is being delayed

/laughsUncontrollably

Just shut the game down already
    ::Veteran of Divine::
    Thecrowalt1 - 220/19/62 - Solitus Keeper - Clan - Gimped
    Thecrow91 - 132/7/? - Solitus Doctor - Clan - First Toon
    Many others under 100

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    AO is too hard.. better nerf all content

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    But you don't have that nice dev look...
    geez.. rub it in!

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    sorry, MPs not allowed here
    Genele: ofc I come back to u difs. U used to look as hot as me

Quote Originally Posted by Stillian View Post
    Why's that then? We've been assured for months that the new, shared 'Live' team was pooling resources and working across all titles. So why is Macrosun the only person in the know? In addition, what happened to succession planning. FC seems to have truly awful turnover of staff, but there is plenty of evidence that no one ever plans for succession. I'd get shot for ignoring that topic.

Not being a coder or working in the industry, I look forward to an illumination.
    I read in some post about this restructure that happened some time in 2013 that AOs code was so different from TSW and Conan that the live team could only help out with art and QA.
    Dunno if something else has been said after that but it seems to be the reason.
    Mamman-_ 220/28 Enforcer Pretty!!
    Fluortanten 220/30 Soldier
    Pebble__.i_ 220/27 Shade
    Dogfood_._ 220/23 Agent

Paradise.

STATUS OF KYAI: Not breathing

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    We've shifted a large part of the coding responsibility to our other live team coders, and we also look forward to bringing in new people to the live team to work on content and features planned for Anarchy Online.

Thanks for listening,
    Joel

I look at the positive. FC is hiring new people for AO. Is this the first American GD?

Good luck on your new ventures, Genele and Macrosun. All the best to both of you!

Congratulations to you, Michizure, and the very best wishes :-)
    ~ Aythem ~

- Become an AO tester!

yay ! goodbye genele we wont miss you !

Quote Originally Posted by lunarsolace View Post
    I look at the positive. FC is hiring new people for AO. Is this the first American GD?
    Yea except this new person won't be a player most likely. I wonder what's better, a brilliant coder who has never seen AO or an average programmer who knows how to get a +10 ring on a level 1 char?
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast