Thread: FPS problems on a laptop with dynamic GPU

FPS problems on a laptop with dynamic GPU

Hi,

So I was pondering about returning to ao, this time I have a different system as last time. I am encountering really really low fps ~15-22 when people are present, idle sometimes jumps to 100.

Specs:
    Integrated Intel HD 4000 graphs ( as far as I know, this should run AO smoothly without problems )
    Radeon HD 8750m
    Intel Core i5 3230m cpu
    8GB RAM
    Random 1TB SSD
    Win 7 64bit

I already know AO does not support dGPU from intel with ATI support, meaning I can't force the HD8750m card to run as primary, because disabling the integrated card renders both useless, so that is out of question. ( can't do that from catalyst, nor bios ). Now the real question is, as far as I know, AO should run perfectly fine on the integrated graphics, it definately should not produce 15-22 fps when people are present.

As far as options in the settings menu go:
    Primary Display Driver - RGB
    Primary Display Driver - D3D HAL
    Intel HD graphs 4000 - RGB
    Intel HD graphs 4000 - D3D HAL

I remember there used to be a 3rd option D3D T&L HAL, but that option isn't present. So I thought, maybe this integrated thingie doesn't have Dx7 support, tried downgrading the drivers, nothing works. Tried running it in window borderless mode, tried every option I could think of, with no real fps changes.
    Now the funny part is, I actually get 60+ in shops, but immediately I see someone the fps drops to ~15-22, sometimes 30.

This kind of makes the game unplayable for me, I am getting clueless and frustrated about it and to be honest if I can't solve this in any way, I am definately not returning.. pvping and doing stuff while fps lagging is not really fun.

Maybe it aint fps lags, I don't know, if you guys have any ideas what could I do, throw it out! Thanks!

A bit difficult to establish what if anything other than poor drivers are causing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

Integrated Intel HD 4000 -> this wont get you pass 15-20 fps (only maybe in a small small room with no people in it)

later edit: set your game to start with your dedicated video card
    my laptop has pretty good specs (i7, 8gb ram, ssd, etc)
    when i set the game on intel hd 4000, i get 15-20 fps
    when i set the game on my dedicated geforce 740 card, i get 100 fps (100 people can be around me, and fps doesnt drop under 80)

later edit2: as for starting the game with dedicated graphics, i just right-click AO -> Run with graphic processor -> High-performance NVIDIA processor
    i don't know what sort of driver you have but it's possible to play AO with dedicated video card instead of the integrated one

later edit3: hy poko
    Last edited by Difs; Aug 30th, 2014 at 12:10:15.
    Genele: ofc I come back to u difs. U used to look as hot as me

Although I have a graphics card I had a similar problem with low fps last year when I got my new computer with an i5 4670k. If I recall correctly the cause of it was that the cpu ran in some adaptive mode and did not clock up when needed for AO. The fix was to disable that in the bios so it ran constantly at max frequency. Might be worth trying.
    Starphoenix 220/30 Adventurer - Shesmine 220/30 Enforcer - Sgtcuddle 220/30 Soldier - Pervonen 220/27 Doctor - Startrade 218/30 Trader - Letter 200/30 Bureaucrat - Shiasurprise 199/20 Soldier - Envelope 150/17 Bureaucrat

Quote Originally Posted by Starphoenix View Post
    Although I have a graphics card I had a similar problem with low fps last year when I got my new computer with an i5 4670k. If I recall correctly the cause of it was that the cpu ran in some adaptive mode and did not clock up when needed for AO. The fix was to disable that in the bios so it ran constantly at max frequency. Might be worth trying.
    As far as that is concerned, I think that would be SpeedStep. It's a power saving feature which I've found to be pretty useless(for me personally).
    Also a lot of BIOS these days allow you specify a cooling mode. I have found changing this from auto/passive to Active, or whatever equivalent to be quite handy. As the cooler fan doesn't spin down.

Minor changes, but are handy from time to time.
    Freqflyerdnt (Fix) - Codney (MP) - Fiddlybit (Crat) - Breaker117 (Enfo) - Spasticdent (NT) - Fiveof9 (Keeper) - Maleshai (Advy) - Tacitblue (Shade)

Squad Commander of Ab aeterno animus liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy
    clearly, it's all because arbalest is clan-only. all the omnis pvpers went clan for arbalest and all the omni pvmers went clan for the 35% xp buff so now the ratio of clan to omni is 9:1 herp derp clan favouritism herp derp devs are clan.