Thread: Remove CookieCutter please

Remove CookieCutter please

wts cookie-cutter setup and a alot more lower version alternatives rather then constantly improving whatever is top wep designed for a specific profession.

remove profession locks on alot of the old weapons as an upgrade, and slap on some high level locks instead.(top dmg profession wep will still be best for XXXX but giving alternatives for previously no access profession).

add more symbs, with different type of skills for everyone(not ment to replace xan alpha symbs, but much lower QL, and very different) so people can go down different roads if they want.

If an enfo wants delta instead of attack skill, let them have that option. same with doctors like myself wanting less nano cost mod or delta for access to >lower versions< of other profession specific symbs then *only* support and so forth. Want to see hybrid professions

Whatever is going on now, its only making the previous line of weapons useless and one setup that can be called "best" where everyone have to use the same equipment intended for their profession. This takes alot of the fun away from experimenting and using reset points useless.. Making people want to do BS for iPR would also be a good think imo.

Customizable symbs (improved implants) would be most welcome if that's what you're aiming for.
    Biggest lie of the century

Quote Originally Posted by Mavritanic View Post
    Make clan PvP zerg-bot is destroy pvp-action in AO.

Tnx!

i like the idea docya but the problem is pvp, with so many professions it will become impossible really to develop strategies for any particular profession. true that has benefits but disadvantages as well. people SHOULD have options. i like the idea of being able to switch out from pvm gear to pvp gear. like enf having huge heal deltas and things that will help with pvm but then switch over to new symbs and armor and stuff for pvp. i think the 48 hour perk reset is a good first step in that direction but they need to do more. i hate the idea of having to have a cookie cutter setup just to match what everyone else has, and then being locked into it. changing ur gear, weapons, etc, is a HUGE time sink.

Agree.... bump for Docya <3

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox211 View Post
    i like the idea docya but the problem is pvp, with so many professions it will become impossible really to develop strategies for any particular profession. true that has benefits but disadvantages as well. people SHOULD have options. i like the idea of being able to switch out from pvm gear to pvp gear. like enf having huge heal deltas and things that will help with pvm but then switch over to new symbs and armor and stuff for pvp. i think the 48 hour perk reset is a good first step in that direction but they need to do more. i hate the idea of having to have a cookie cutter setup just to match what everyone else has, and then being locked into it. changing ur gear, weapons, etc, is a HUGE time sink.
    Means that you actually have to think on your feet in pvp. =) Yes, we need options. People need options. Massive bump for the OP. ^.^
    Squad Commander of Paragon

Kaelde ~ little gimpy engi of doom
    Ecrisi ~ Even squishier than Kae, if that was at all possible

Quote Originally Posted by Grayfox211 View Post
    This will actually make PVP better, for all the reasons you just stated.

Enormous bump.

I'am agree with OP, and want to add/ask something to it.

Why does FC makes old items almost useless when introducing new ones?

Example, 2HE swords: Kyr'Ozch 112, Wolf MK6, Honed Tarasque, Xan. Why does every next item introduced should be better than previous one? Why not make it alternative? (damage type, special attacks, looks, ways to aquire)

Instead of focusing on adjusting balance and giving options to develop for professions you just make them stronger. It works badly, since it makes old pvm content easier, makes pvp more unbalanced and so on.

And also bump for customizable symbiants. That will be crazy to balance them, but it worth the effort imo.
    :: Izolenta :: Kynopoc :: Dreamech :: Dreamchaser :: Batmobile ::

President of Molotoff Cocktail

Playing since 2002/06/26

It does get sort of narrowed down with all the items getting a better replacement instead of alternatives. Like the new hhab or new deck/star, not that i dont like em, but if they made alternatives instead, people would have to choose what they think is most important for their setup.

instead of hhab with 500 resist, what about 5000hp , or 500 evades, or 500 something something.. I have no idea what good alternative would be, but atm everyone is running around with +500 resist because there arnt any decent options to it.

Funcom was looking into new combines for alien armor a little while back ( which ofc was OP`d , because it was better then the old versions) but if they made em just different would be good enough imo. More variety instead of having it as replacements.

alien armor with some reflects? or nano init? delta`s ? anything different from todays standards sounds nice.

I never use a cookie cutter. I find it more fun to just roll my dough into little balls and let the oven to do it's thing.
    Metalynx: 216..... 4 more levels and the server will shut down!

Metalynx: "I seriously hope all the stupid people in the world don't congrigate in one spot, for all the weight of this massive amount of raw idiodicy, might collapse upon itself, creating a Singularity of Ignorant Stupidity, unmatched in strength by any black hole in the universe"

Quote Originally Posted by Docya View Post
    Funcom was looking into new combines for alien armor a little while back ( which ofc was OP`d , because it was better then the old versions) but if they made em just different would be good enough imo. More variety instead of having it as replacements.

alien armor with some reflects? or nano init? delta`s ? anything different from todays standards sounds nice.
    What about allowing the other combonations?

I'd love to mix some Enduring with some Observant for pvm. HP, Evades, what more could you ask for?
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Why add combined at all?

Supple adds ALL ranged skills. No way to choose. Compare it to ofab or chosen/faithful - different parts give differents skills = you have options to actually customize your character.

Now, only customization are utils and HP. And they don't differ much within one class.

It's all about options. There are 1-2 successfull builds for most profs, and other ones don't worth mentioning. I think thats wrong way, but better for casual players. Most don't want to actually think, they are glad just to farm their way through game
    :: Izolenta :: Kynopoc :: Dreamech :: Dreamchaser :: Batmobile ::

President of Molotoff Cocktail

Playing since 2002/06/26

Bump... according to my pistol keeper, different is good (and has an increased fun factor, when you OD that 2he enfo in totw)
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

I think theres quite a wide area of options available nowadays... theres even tons of people not using weapons they're supposed to half the time. :s More options will be better sure but... these aren't more options these are just more improvements.

So FC made the nanodeck/star a requirement for most... not everyone is using the new HHAB I can promise you that, not even close. Not everyone is using CM on their melee toons, or CSS on ranged, or just Ofab, not everyone uses a mix of DB armor with Ofab or has the same imp/symb setup and nowadays not everyone has the same weapon.

You see 2 people both wearing CC and its all cookie cutter? theres much more to it then just that... everyone is asking for new AI armor while theres new armor coming out every time, you really want to be asking for more AI tech armor req combines? I sure as hell don't... The Ofab, Kegerns and DB armor are nice additions to the already excisting armorsets and theres tons of different options and all of them are used.

And it could be me but... when you roll a keeper it says they use 2he, why even bother with making it pistol and then wanting FC to make more things like it... or improve it? Say FC gives pistol keepers more options, and makes it a sweet DD option. Every PvMer will be pistol every PvPer will be 2he, good god what an amount of choice.
    Variety is good but pistol keeper is simply not supposed to be that way, it was concept art nothing else.

You ask for HP+Evades on 1 armor so you can "choose"? who the hell is going to choose anything else?! everyone would wear CC in PvP and End+Obs in PvM... non evade proffs would continue to use DB armor/whatever AI/Kegerns or Ofab armor. Oh my what a great amount of choice right there.

There are no random successful builds in AO... every build has its own situational advantages, situations that are constantly changing as you play.

And the game is constantly evolving... doesn't mean old things get useless. People are still wearing OT-STeel ribbed/Apocalpyse leather, Dragons armor pieces from Tara are still used, All sorts of combined will constantly be used for different setups, Reactive/Proactive is still in use alot.
    For levelling everyone is STILL using Howlets, Panthers, Chirops, Frosty/Stygs with the new improved 2hb addition of the Nelebs. "old" perennium weapons and even some shop-buyable shotguns and bows are all still used. K-91 Monster pistols are probably more common then any other, and Kyr'ozch weapons will never die.

So an item you used 2 years ago finally gets improved... thats what an MMO does, it evolves, and in this thread I don't really see any suggestions except making more things evolve. The best options will always be chosen situationally, you can't get options, there will plain and simple be a better options for every situation... Just like there is now.

If you really want options FC would have to create more social clothing... because your actual armor options changes will always be better or worse in a certain situation.

Thats just my 2 cents... maybe you should ask/look around more, don't think theres a single proffesion locked to only 1 or 2 good options, wether its symb+imp setup, armor pieces, perk setups, breeds or weapons... theres always things to choose.
    Last edited by Means; Mar 13th, 2009 at 20:49:27. Reason: What you do with your little finger is your own business and not for this thread.
    The Atrox has won.

Lockpicking successful.
    You gained 1 points of Shadowknowledge.
    Welcome to Shadowlevel 220.

Customizable symbs = slaughtered AO database, way too many variations to make this possible and the same reason we don't have double slotted implants.

Other than that you can't remove cookie cutter setups. There will always be an easy and effective choice, but there are also a dozen others. For that enforcer for example, you have 2he, 2hb, 1hb, 1he, 2he/1he, 1he/1hb, 1he/piercing, 1hb/piercing, 2he/2hb, shen sticks. After your wep choices you have Heal delta setup, offensive setups, defensive setups, nanoskill/nanodelta setups, Max health setups, crit setups, stun alpha setups, and combinations of all those.

FC doesn't need to get rid of cookie cutters, FC just needs to do a little fixing on existing setups to make them all effective, which will come with the profession balancing.