Thread: A few engie questions...

A few engie questions...

Recently i've been drooling over how cool slayerdroids look...
    So I was considering the possibility of creating an engie alt...
    (I play an MP, so I'm fully aware of the pathing problem... )

So I just had a few questions for anyone who would like to answer them...
    I would appreciate it...

1. Can you cast slayerdroid transference and have a slayerdroid out at the same time??? Or does casting transferrence count as your pet???

2. How does the weapon damage translate when casting transference???
    Does it???
    Or is the nano useless unless you're going MA???

3. Does the slayerdroid deal sufficient damage to do well in PVP as well as PVM???

4. Do you think it was worth playing your engie???

5. Is it necessary to buff beg to survive or do okay???

Thanks for your time, guys...
    Last edited by Primordious; Jan 20th, 2003 at 08:22:25.

Re: A few engie questions...

1. Can you cast slayerdroid transference and have a slayerdroid out at the same time??? Or does casting transferrence count as your pet???
    You can use a pet with transference running.

2. How does the weapon damage translate when casting transference???
    Does it???
    Or is the nano useless unless you're going MA???
    It only adds to your MA skill... and a bit of AC, no other weapon damage or skill is added.

3. Does the slayerdroid deal sufficient damage to do well in PVP as well as PVM???
    PvM it does ok, PvP the pet is far too easy to disable or avoid for most profs.

Yes.

Depends on your playstyle, if you want the best pet you will have to beg for quite a few levels.
    Last edited by VdpMeat; Jan 20th, 2003 at 21:25:19.
    VdpMeat ex-MA Engie

Can't comment on transference yet, or on PvP since I avoid it like the plague. On buff-begging though, at the lower levels you don't actually need to buff beg. I'm about to hit the TL4 cap any day now, but up until that point you can quite easily cast a dark orange bot without any special items or outside buffs. That's quite sufficient for most purposes at those levels.

Past that it may be a different matter. I'll keep you posted

Cheers,

~R~

Seems to me that going unbuffed would really make u look like a gimp in teams, havin a bitchin' pet in teams is the only thing that engi's really can do in teams atm, so why not do the extra damage, you might stay in the team longer.....

Just a thought.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    - Henry David Thoreau

• Eynstine - 165/4 - Workin hard, but hardly workin

• Vodkanoreos - 104/0 - Yah, chasin vodka with oreos..reason i rolled a crat...

Sub-100 I've not been in a team that had a problem with a self-buffed pet and I've never been kicked from a team. I've had invites from characters higher level than me who could see damned well that the bot was self-cast.

It's popular to talk about how crap the bot is and how gimped we all are - bollocks. A level 80 Eng can cast a level 90+ bot and take out level 110-120 Ottous no trouble. If soloing stuff 50% above your level is gimped, then I'm gimped.

The big problem in teams at this level is pathing.

~R~
    Last edited by Soyuz; Jan 29th, 2003 at 23:55:35.

As always... Engineer damage is good to very good, provided the bot is at the fight.

Damage at least has never been an issue for me, even less so now the have the AMS buffs.
    Highorbit - Supreme Creator - Atlantean - 205 - Armour
    Andrele - Sorcerer - Atlantean
    Simarion - General - Atlantean - 200
    Zendia - Doctor - Atlantean
    Roanna - Preserver - Atlantean
    Littleorbit - Priest - Atlantean

Shameless Self Advertising: Engineer Guide

Originally posted by HighOrbit
    As always... Engineer damage is good to very good, provided the bot is at the fight.

Damage at least has never been an issue for me, even less so now the have the AMS buffs.
    Aye, 100% truth. Engineer and his pet together (non-gimped, meaning at least he has a good gun/or MA himself, not only pet) does highest damage in this game, at least from lvl150 on, and that's obvious. Moreover, it only gets better after 165 when you can use boost AR
    This is out of question on any given single mob/boss, and this is usually also out of question over the duration of a long mish, even if your pet is there for only 50-70% of the mob - at the end, you have much higher damage than anyone else.
    Papabear 'Prejudiced' Primakoff
    RK1 Clan Godfather

~ Made a career parallel to AO ~

slayers rarely deal for than one hit in PVP. Root Root Nuke. Dead eng.

Depends on the day. Somedays it's not worth the trouble.

To level at a decent speed you need a OE bot. For Solo, not needed but nice. Teams over 150: Probably wont take you unless you have a guardian made, if they take you at all.

Edit: One more thing, slayers are the largest pets yes. Big and hard to navigate. It actually took me 40 minutes to get a bot to attack once. (I do not lie)
    Last edited by Rudeboyz; Feb 1st, 2003 at 21:05:50.
    Bill "Rudeboyz" Clinton Nobel Prize Winning Engineer, Crusader for Duct Tape and Reclaim Inspector General of Rubi-Ka Gear

Freshman Bob "Spookyrudy" Dole Buff Dispenser, Sexy Atrox, Master of The Atrox Monkey Love Arts

Originally posted by Primakoff

Aye, 100% truth. Engineer and his pet together (non-gimped, meaning at least he has a good gun/or MA himself, not only pet) does highest damage in this game, at least from lvl150 on, and that's obvious. Moreover, it only gets better after 165 when you can use boost AR
    This is out of question on any given single mob/boss, and this is usually also out of question over the duration of a long mish, even if your pet is there for only 50-70% of the mob - at the end, you have much higher damage than anyone else.
    Has anyone ever verified this via Damage Dumper? Everytime someone has done damage dumper all the Engineers in the team consistently did the least damage.
    Advisor of First Light
    Tradeskill How-To's, Engineer Profession Guides, and Jello Wrestling at The Tir School of Engineering
    Confused by Alien Tech? Check out my Alien Invasion Guides

New to Engineering? Try HighOrbit's Engineer Guide. Thanks HighOrbit

Originally posted by Lyricia

Has anyone ever verified this via Damage Dumper? Everytime someone has done damage dumper all the Engineers in the team consistently did the least damage.
    I have, I've been thinking about posting about this. In a team with 2 of my buddies, an agent (supposedly one of the best damage dealers) and an ithaca doc with a 13% scope tts and the 4% mark, my bot alone was doing more damage than anyone. The agent was a close second and I was a distant third even with the doc getting several 9k AS hits.

We were all TL5 and these guys were both hardcore with roots in the beta test so I'm sure they weren't gimped in anyway. This was also outdoors so pathing was less of an issue.

I toss it around off and on but I'm never included in the guild damage teams leading me to believe there's some serious misconceptions regarding the whole damage dealing ability.
    Ionicdude - In it to win it no matter how you spin it

I still want to test how we do in damage dumper against the "damage" classes, mainly EQB enfs, hellspinner sols, and manex fixers

I've done damage dumper almost 50 times in outdoor areas. With the highest AR buff, I've never had anyone be within 80% of my total damage (bot + my MA dmg) in any non-unique encounter. This doesn't hold at all uniques but in a normal situation I've never seen anyone be close. The closest I have seen were 200 Enforcers with EQB, 200 Adventurers with EMS, 200 soldiers and the crat with a juicy pet. If I had mochams the whole time as well, I regularly doubled people up. Engies suck in a some ways, but our outdoor damage is by far and away the best.
    Tashia Munchausen Age, RK-2 Clan Engie, El Presidente of EcoDisaster.
    Munchausen's EE Layout
    Sill the best starter guide for making towers

“Computer games don’t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us…we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music”. Krisitan Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989.

Originally posted by Lyricia

I run Damage dumper almost every time I go to mission with a team of people I meet first time. Then I use the pet along with my own damage, and I do like to hear 196 soldier say "noway man, this can't be true" when he sees he did about half of the damage I do throughout mission. This is easy to confirm.
    Now in your case, I think when other people run damage dumper, they do not add the pet to your damage output. Thats also one of the reasons awhile ago I've equipped ellts, maxed weapon skills, AS and FS (using Ithaca), and don't use pet that much anymore. If I don't leave to mish w/o MoP and TTS (which are always very easy to get), I consistently do more damage than most profs around my level, and keep in very decent tabs with 190ies.
    I do think this "damage" issue has to be somehow cleared out and "popularized" if you like, among the rest of peeps who for some reason think engineer sucks at damage.
    And by the way, what's *sad* is that many engineers contribute to this opinion, by either constantly whining about how nerfed they are, or not doing a good job at keeping them/their pet in decent "condition".
    Papabear 'Prejudiced' Primakoff
    RK1 Clan Godfather

~ Made a career parallel to AO ~

The thing is that in indoor missions, by the time the pet actually GETS to the mob, the mob is already dead. The problem is not the pathing, but the actual speed of the pet. From once a pet enters a room till engagement, it takes around 3-4 seconds, which is more than enough for any decent 150+ team to kill off a non real mean or ace mob (even though i've seen even aces fall this fast with a good team). For this reason, pets only actually become useful when there are two mobs in the room or when the mission is 196+, full of RMs and aces.

Thus we have the POTENTIAL to deal massive amounts of damage, but this potential is under used in pvm by the speed factor and it is under used in pvp simply because we die way too fast.

Red face AODD Damage

I have to throw my .02 in here..... I've run AODD a lot recently and the results are surprising. Keep in mind that AODD doesn't seem to do well in calculating nano damage from NTs and the like, so the results are skewed.

Consistently, I usually am at the top or next to the top of the list in outdoor encounters. I am usually only outdamaged by really well-played MAs.

Inside, I do middle to low end. You should find this to be true, too. Depends if you have a fighting doc or not. =P

I am currently using a Vektor but I will switch to Ithaca when time is right. An X3 at level 160+ is also a good choice I hear.

Wait until you see what happens next time you run it in an outdoor encounter/hunting session, then dump results in console. The Enforcers, Soldiers, and Agents will usually cuss if you're playing it right. Muahahahaha

just a small comment.

Let all i the team run AODD, i did test out how much dmg we did in teams and i did not register all dmg that other did. Sometimes you are too fare away to register others dmg.

I think that engy is the biggest dmgdealers when it come to Tara :P

For mobs like Tara engie is 3rd best in terms of damage. I run DD alot. MAs consistently beat the engie/pet combo as well as enforcers with EQB. Depending on a mobs resistance to nukes NTs will do a load of damage as well.

I don't think many people doubt the damage possibilities of engies but the ability of the engie to get the damage where needed. Because of that engies are rather useless despite the fact they have high damage potential.

The only good way do a DD run is to have *every* player in the team run AODD. That makes sure that there are no out of range problems.
    --
    Kenlon- Combat Medic, RK1
    "This! Is! My! Boomstick!" Gear.

Creaky old vet, back for another go-round.

Originally posted by KrazyKanuck
    For mobs like Tara engie is 3rd best in terms of damage. I run DD alot. MAs consistently beat the engie/pet combo as well as enforcers with EQB. Depending on a mobs resistance to nukes NTs will do a load of damage as well.

I don't think many people doubt the damage possibilities of engies but the ability of the engie to get the damage where needed. Because of that engies are rather useless despite the fact they have high damage potential.
    At Tara it depends on what damage type the engie is using... an MA engie will outdamage the MA counterpart in tests I have run along with others. The only advantage they have over you is 1/5 more crit, while you have higher AR and a pet.
    Tashia Munchausen Age, RK-2 Clan Engie, El Presidente of EcoDisaster.
    Munchausen's EE Layout
    Sill the best starter guide for making towers

“Computer games don’t affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us…we’d all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music”. Krisitan Wilson, Nintendo Inc. 1989.