Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Teasing engine-teaser is teasing

personally, i want the new engine just cuz the new players itll attract. other than that current visuals look perfectly fine to me.

Heres a footage of engine by Means also (for those who havent seen it already)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2WQB74W6_4

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Maurtue View Post
    Heres a footage of engine by Means also (for those who havent seen it already)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2WQB74W6_4
    That's some old stuff though. Really outdated. No SSAO, no Godrays, no new shading options etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Waldgeist View Post
    That's some old stuff though. Really outdated. No SSAO, no Godrays, no new shading options etc...
    Take it easy. I'm sure Maurtue just accidentally picked wrong video from this huge pile of engine preview videos we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldgeist View Post
    lol now that goes to show what I know/care about anything graphics related.. that Means video from 2009 looked better to me than the recently posted video... though it could be the fact that I had a longer view of what was going on in the 2009 video.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Oh, I agree, but in the context it's impressive.
    This is what people need to realize, not expect ultra-modern bleeding edge dx9 rendering. AO isn't even DX7 apart from Input and maybe sound from memory? It's a damn impressive job and I can't wait to see it.

edit: they've added SSAO as well now? Even better!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Malosar View Post
    This is what people need to realize, not expect ultra-modern bleeding edge dx9 rendering. AO isn't even DX7 apart from Input and maybe sound from memory? It's a damn impressive job and I can't wait to see it.

edit: they've added SSAO as well now? Even better!
    AO currently uses DX7 for its graphics.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Not sure if it has been asked before, is there an UI revamp incoming aswel to bring it more to a modern day level?

ok thanks Vhab, was that always the case do you know? I thought from memory years ago that originally a lot of draw calls were even just GDI+. I'm hardly an expert though

Quote Originally Posted by Malosar View Post
    This is what people need to realize, not expect ultra-modern bleeding edge dx9 rendering.
    Precisely. Implementing the engine is just the show opener that may let AO coders working on the eye-candy bling-blings do wonderful things later on.

Plus, if we're on the new engine, they can hopefully keep it updated much easier.

For me, eye-candy was never a must-have since AO ran fine even quad-logged (too many mules since I'm a pack-rat) and it's been running even better for the past 15-17 months since I switched to i7 CPUs (laptop CPUs at that).

I understand that there are a lot of people where AO has crappy performance so this is one of the MOST important things that will get fixed with the rendering engine upgrade.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

I am very nicely surprised. I have even started to be optimistic about AO future. thank you for that!!!
    Philty - main, engie, proud member of allmighty CzA
    Philtynurse - backup heal
    Philtysaurus - rising from the ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    AO currently uses DX7 for its graphics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eponyx View Post
    To go a little of topic, AO does not use DX* for grapics DX7 is only used for pointing devices like your mouste/trackball ect and to identify that your GFX card is 3D capabel.

Anything GFX related is done by the prosessor that does not make use of DX, offcourse if you force antialias ect. that is handled by your GFX card but that is still not DX.

* = DirectX
    glad to see devs can agree on somethng.

but since vhabs post is most recent, it should be more accurate :P
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Mar 28th, 2012 at 21:09:17.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    glad to see devs can agree on somethng.

but since vhabs post is most recent, it should be more accurate :P
    Eponyx is not a developer but rather a most valued bug hunter
    He probably made a mistake or got some misinformation from another source.
    Last edited by Vhab; Mar 28th, 2012 at 21:20:29.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Eponyx is not a developer but rather a most valued bug hunter
    He probably made a mistake or got some misinformation from another source.
    for me everyone with light green background is a dev. but thanks for clearing this dx thingie up
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    for me everyone with light green background is a dev. but thanks for clearing this dx thingie up
    *Blue* backgrounds are developers and official FC employees. *Green* backgrounds are our volunteer ARK moderators/members. Eponyx has never had a coloured background as he was a Bug Hunter ARK and they do not receive background colours. =)
    Brad L. McAtee / Kintaii
    Former Senior AO Designer & Jack of All Trades
    (2007 - 2012)
    ~~ Twitter :: Facebook :: Norse Noir ~~

Wow ... 8 pages of comments in a day and a half!

Video looks great. Nice to see comments in the interviews that Funcom listens to player suggestions. I hope there is a lot of allowance for player input when the time comes for the server merge mentioned in the interviews for later this year. It sounds like this new market is a first step in that direction ... I hope the physical market will still exist in our cities for customers that like to just browse thru the stalls to see which item they want. I also hope that if we are going to one server with RK1 & RK2 occupying the same 'space' ... that there is some provision to allow guilds to remain in-tact and org presidents to receive their old player city buildings in their inventory to re-locate to the new server player city plots. I assume there will be some transition period where guilds with 'old' cities have priority access to the new city plots (either free or deep discounts) for having to relocate to a new city plot like was done for the merge of RK3. If the 'plan' is 100% instanced cities there should be a similar 'deep discount' for guilds with existing cities on the old server AND a choice as to the size of instanced city ... we all can't afford 'big' city rent.

Kinnik

edit: Or if the plan is all instanced player cities to accomplish the server merge ... maybe give org presidents the option of having their current city "planted" by FC exactly as it is on the old server into the instanced zone ... same size, same rent, etc. This would eliminate the issue of someone selling the city buildings or plot to others if the org does not continue on the new server.
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; Mar 29th, 2012 at 00:05:21. Reason: add'l thoughts

So I guess these minimum specs for running AO will be updated when the new engine is released. These are from the Current Live AO main website.

System requirements

Anarchy Online is a science fiction-based persistent online role-playing game developed and published by Funcom.

What are the minimum system requirements to play Anarchy-Online:

Minimum

Windows 98/ME/2000 SP1+2/XP Pentium II 300 128MB RAM 2X CD-ROM drive DirectX 3D 8Mb video card DirectX compatible sound device 700MB free hard drive space Internet connection, 28.8K Modem

Recommended

Pentium II 450 256 Mb RAM 3D card with 32MB RAM, DirectX 8X CD-ROM drive 1GB free hard drive space Internet connection, 56K Modem
    I found these while looking for what the official requirements for DX were listed as. Was just curious because beta ran on direct 6 and windows 98 and I know I started playing AO on a windows 98 box. Also both the Original Release and Shadow Lands release list Win98 as supported as does these specs from the official website. Microsoft also did not support Win98 with the first release of DX7 it was not till they released DX7.0a that windows 98 was officially supported.

I am calling BS on AO being DX7. I suspect it is a DX6 compliant game and that Epo was correct about the DX7 comments he made. Because DX7 is backwards compatible with DX6 it may appear to be the more modern DX7 but I seriously doubt it was designed from the ground up for DX7. Also DX7 was not even available during a good part of the games initial development. There are FC videos demonstrating develoment in 1999 which precedes DX7 by a few months.

So waiting to be smacked down by the dev team. But moved to DX7 from DX6 and designed for DX7 are very different things. A specific time frame when it was moved to DX7 is most likely Shadow Lands. Gaute has an article some where he is talking about all the great improvements to the graphics engine to allow things like 32 bit textures which prior to SL was not an option.

Yes it sucks that some of us still have our original AO media and boxes. My install disk is version 11.0. Try patching up from that. But I do have the limited edition wall map of RK.
    Last edited by Lheann; Mar 28th, 2012 at 23:29:17.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post
    Precisely. Implementing the engine is just the show opener that may let AO coders working on the eye-candy bling-blings do wonderful things later on.
    I can't help myself but notice from the above, the part I bolded and underlined.

After N+1 years of waiting, nobody really wants to hear about future prospects that may become available after the engine launch. Considering that the actual engine launch is still Soon(tm).
    Eroz, finally 220/26/70 Adventurer & proud General of Regulators on ex-RK2 (outdated) equip
    Rokroland, 170 Engineer No more crab for j00 Northern Front on ex-RK2
    Ranged roxxorz!
    Sig last updated properly when West Athens still had people sitting about the subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Siahanor View Post
    Complaining about the realism of height changing mechanics in a game that has people who can channel their anger to make huge killer meatballs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    So I guess these minimum specs for running AO will be updated when the new engine is released.

I found these while looking for what the official requirements for DX were listed as. Was just curious because beta ran on direct 6 and windows 98 and I know I started playing AO on a windows 98 box. Also both the Original Release and Shadow Lands release list Win98 as supported as does these specs from the official website. Microsoft also did not support Win98 with the first release of DX7 it was not till they released DX7.0a that windows 98 was officially supported.

I am calling BS on AO being DX7. I suspect it is a DX6 compliant game and that Epo was correct about the DX7 comments he made. Because DX7 is backwards compatible with DX6 it may appear to be the more modern DX7 but I seriously doubt it was designed from the ground up for DX7. Also DX7 was not even available during a good part of the games initial development. There are FC videos demonstrating develoment in 1999 which precedes DX7 by a few months.

So waiting to be smacked down by the dev team. But moved to DX7 from DX6 and designed for DX7 are very different things. A specific time frame when it was moved to DX7 is most likely Shadow Lands. Gaute has an article some where he is talking about all the great improvements to the graphics engine to allow things like 32 bit textures which prior to SL was not an option.

Yes it sucks that some of us still have our original AO media and boxes. My install disk is version 11.0. Try patching up from that. But I do have the limited edition wall map of RK.
    I don't have my original notum wars install cd anymore, but I do have my wall map, keyboard map and the Special Edition install cd's still ... plus the Shadowlands and Alien Invasion install cd's.

However, I am not up on all the discussion above about DX6 and/or DX7, etc. How do we tell whether or not our PC/Graphics set-up can run this new DX9 mentioned in the interviews? Is it assumed that we can run DX9 if we are on a particular version of Windows? Or, is DX9 a function of our graphics card?

Kinnik

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    How do we tell whether or not our PC/Graphics set-up can run this new DX9 mentioned in the interviews? Is it assumed that we can run DX9 if we are on a particular version of Windows? Or, is DX9 a function of our graphics card?

Kinnik
    This depends on your GPU.
    But don't worry, DX9 has been around for a long time and pretty much any GPU from the last 10 years or so supports it.
    It's more likely for your machine to be below the minimum specs of the new engine than having a GPU that doesn't support DX9.

Should your machine not be able to use the new engine, you'll still be able to play using the old engine during the transition period.
    The minimum specifications for the new engine have not been determined yet, but they won't require you to have a cutting edge machine.
    Last edited by Vhab; Mar 29th, 2012 at 00:28:55.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast