Thread: Monthly Development Update: March 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    C++ experience required, right? :/
    no. ao is written entirely on punchcards.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    no. ao is written entirely on punchcards.
    It's old enough to be

Just wondering 'cos my main languages are .net and mySQL
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

It's old enough to be

Just wondering 'cos my main languages are .net and mySQL
    You probably meant C#.

You can write .NET in any language including C/C++.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocene View Post
    You probably meant C#.

You can write .NET in any language including C/C++.
    VB.NET then. Babys' first programming language .
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Funcom employee

C++ experience required, right? :/
    The job is listed at: http://www.funcom.com/jobs/montreal

But I'll quote the important bit of it:
    Qualifications:

Several years experience as a programmer in a professional capacity
    Extensive knowledge of C++ (including STL and recent standard evolutions)
    Ability to develop in Visual Studio, in a Linux environment
    Working knowledge of SQL & Databases
    Service minded attitude
    Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field

Preferred:

Experience with MMO game or technology development
    Python, VBA
    Working with distributed systems
    Agile methodologies
    There's also this:
    If you lack some of the above-mentioned qualifications, but consider yourself a highly skilled coder and a fast learner that Funcom can't be without, apply as well.
    I'd highly encourage junior c++ programmers to take a shot at it as well
    Last edited by Vhab; Apr 1st, 2012 at 13:06:21.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

I've always wanted to know, what DB you are using for AO servers / other games (if it isn't secret of course).
    Dragocz RK1

Yeah, those requirements are insanely steep. Nvm.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader

Thumbs down

Maybe this has already been answered, I haven't read all the posts but I see that cities are going away, didn't expect that we love our city (reason 1 to quit this game). Servers are in fact merging, which dimension are you keeping and which toons are being rubbed out ( Reason 2 to leave this game) And that's about it. I couldn't be more upset with these developements. 7 years on this game working with friends to make all of the above happen and FC wipes it all out with one fell swoop. Very Sad!

Quote Originally Posted by VAUGHN2006 View Post
    Maybe this has already been answered, I haven't read all the posts but I see that cities are going away, didn't expect that we love our city (reason 1 to quit this game). Servers are in fact merging, which dimension are you keeping and which toons are being rubbed out
    This was answered earlier - both dimensions will be merged into a new server.

Lets be honest, with the removal of shops cities serve only 3 purposes;

1. Stat boosts
    2. Aliumz farming
    3. HQ Tradeskills buffs

All of those could be provided by an instanced city, so they could go ahead and wipe every 'above ground' city off the map.

You know, the people effected most by the removal of cities are likely to be roleplayers. So I would suggest someone start working on an 'OMG the planet got nuked by a bomb so smart all it did was flatten every city that isn't actually a city but is a city owned by 3 people kind of city' story line.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Grumpy "Siorai" Oldgit - 220.25 Clan Atrox Doctor - Screenshot - Equip (old)

First trox doc on RK1 using Blades of Boltar.

My Spirit Shroud Hell - Over 1400 kills with no drop.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the good work, Lindelu. It is paticularly appreciated to see devs participating on the forum more and answering questions.
    With the pet changes will MP pets be fixed so that they don't need recasting when they run out of nano?
    In the new market it would be great to have backpack selling available with the ability to inspect a backpack.
    The issue of hecks and power levelling seems to keep recurring - perhaps new mobs could be introduced in currently fairly unused areas which give slightly higher xp than hecks but run away when attacked a player they are grey to. I think the game would be most advantaged by making the easiest method to level involve doing so in a standard team by teams of the same level without an osb or kite. This doesn't mean that the current power levelling has to go - just that it would not be the fastest levelling method.
    The new player experience is sounding good. I'm getting the idea that it involves a new weapon selection in the startup area?
    I looked at the new logon and character switching - I was wondering if the 30 secong lag in logout is really necessary - would 10 secs be enough for whatever purpose it solves?

Quote Originally Posted by Evari View Post
    Wait wait wait wait. Getting rid of my city? I never had a big org that had tons of credits and chipped in to buy my city. I've been with this game since launch, and I have always stood by the decisions of the devs- whether I liked it at the time or not. But the cities? It's the one "personal" thing there is in the game.

There's a lot of history in my city, and it may not mean much because in the end, players will always be just a number. But I've been loyal up until now and kept with AO for what feels like forever. Losing my city again? One I've worked so hard for? Several times over? Yeah, that's just a huge slap in the face. I definitely don't think that a new engine would even interest me in the game anymore at that point. This game is all about my Alliance mates and friends to me anyhow. But seeing the legacy of my old friends tossed out like that would just be too much. I'm sure others have had some similar experiences with theirs.

Like back when they were actually hard to attain and maintain. To me, they still are. 55m a month is a lot to me, even now when people see that as a drop in the bucket. But I'd rather have to spend some extra time making money than to not have MY city. Even if they become obsolete, I don't care. I'd still maintain it. And my friends would still raid in it with me.

And could we just leave the cities where they are? Unhindered? I know for a fact that there are more people than just me who have worked hard for theirs. Unless you plan to compensate us for all of our credits and time spent.. all of the stress of hunting down a good new spot. All of the time spent trying to figure out how the heck to make the city parts.. Well, no, even then, there is no reimbursement for time wasted. And in the end, that's what it is. The time has been absolutely wasted. Because after all of the hard work and effort, there will be nothing to show for it.
    This is my point about the cities. All the work for nothing. I can't believe FC turns on it's loyal players who have played the game for it's rich content and did all the things like building cities and forming nice orgs. Why because they are caving to the loudmouths looking for pretty graphics, who only want to come on the game for a short time make a team and kill things then leave. They have the attention span of a gnat are only interested in power leveling and will be gone as fast as they came. Also now that we have no cities so much for gaining Alien XP with city raids

This is my point about the cities. All the work for nothing. I can't believe FC turns on it's loyal players who have played the game for it's rich content and did all the things like building cities and forming nice orgs. Why because they are caving to the loudmouths looking for pretty graphics, who only want to come on the game for a short time make a team and kill things then leave. They have the attention span of a gnat are only interested in power leveling and will be gone as fast as they came. Also now that we have no cities so much for gaining Alien XP with city raids
    You don't seem to understand what they are actually doing. They are removing the visual ai cities that is located on different zones across RK. However, they are not removing the entire ai raid mecanics, you still have iCities and the other areas that was built only for the purpose of ai cities. (I'm not sure if those cities are gonna remain or not.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    This was answered earlier - both dimensions will be merged into a new server.
    Sorry didn't see anything about which dimension was going away was it RK-1 or RK-2?

Funcom employee

Instanced cities will not be removed, nor are there any plans to remove these in the future.

Also note, outdoor cities will not be disabled with the next patch.
    They will continue to function as they are now minus some market functionality.
    Last edited by Vhab; Apr 1st, 2012 at 16:33:15.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore View Post
    You don't seem to understand what they are actually doing. They are removing the visual ai cities that is located on different zones across RK. However, they are not removing the entire ai raid mecanics, you still have iCities and the other areas that was built only for the purpose of ai cities. (I'm not sure if those cities are gonna remain or not.)
    Maybe you understand it differently than I do but unless FC gives us a good explanation it is only speculation by you and I as to what they mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Siorai2 View Post
    So I would suggest someone start working on an 'OMG the planet got nuked by a bomb so smart all it did was flatten every city that isn't actually a city but is a city owned by 3 people kind of city' story line.
    I like this. Obviously with a server merge there won't be enough room for all the exising cities without creating another tce/tcw monstrocity plot. Perhaps orgs with cities could be compensated when current cities are lost and allowed a choice of an instanced or outdoor city. However the outdoor city option would only be available to orgs with 100+ members above level 20 or so (or a similar more workable criteria). One of my first thoughts in starting the game was that the cities were oversized and incongruent in the rk landscape. Perhaps that could be resolved with a resizing of buildings?

Maybe you understand it differently than I do but unless FC gives us a good explanation it is only speculation by you and I as to what they mean.
    they said it many times. they're transitioning from world cities to instanced cities. {edited by Anarrina: unnecessary}
    Last edited by Anarrina; Apr 2nd, 2012 at 07:43:32.

Sorry didn't see anything about which dimension was going away was it RK-1 or RK-2?
    Both will go. A new server will be created and both merged into it. From Lindelu in Feb update:
    "The only thing that I can confirm is that it will not be a transfer from one server to another, but moving characters to a completely new server."

Quote Originally Posted by Evari View Post
    I feel your pain. My org has gone through a few cities. Before a city was set to take creds out of /org bank, you had to manually pay every month through the City Controller, which only the org leader could do. I had a RL issue and could not play for 3 months. That is how we lost our Athen Shire city.

We then got an awesome city in Perpetual Wastelands, but during a temporary change in leadership since I was switching lead from an old toon to a newer toon, my second in command gave leadership to a General to pass it to me... and he decided to sell the city and in the end the loyal Generals (with my blessing) decided to destroy the city rather than have a greedy person profit from it.

Then, we got a Serenity Islands city which was fine for a while, until someone offered me a nice one in Pleasant Meadows for a fair amount because he knew of my reputation.

So as you can see, I've also had my own troubles with that aspect of my clan. Right now I own MD City in PM, a SI city for MD Academy (froob/lowbie), and a third SI city for my own personal raiding to make creds on my spare time. MD & MDA have saunas.

With the changes to GMS and the Market system, there is no longer a need for real cities. Everyone wanted a real city because a Serenity Islands city can't hold a market. That won't be the case anymore.

I think Funcom will reimburse "a city" per active org, and maybe "a sauna" for those that have them. However, I don't think they will reimburse the original cost of the old plots or the upkeep.

What is most likely to happen is this.

You lose a city on RK.
    You gain a city with the same buildings & benefits in SI (minus Market).

A SI city upkeep is about 45-50M a month, which is very affordable to most orgs compared to the RK cities.

I would love for Funcom to consider expanding the SI plot a bit more to allow ALL buildings to fit (including the Sidewalk Cafe and Sky Bar).

There is a possibility that because of this change, we may all end up in QL 300 cities (most active orgs have this anyways) which is the best possible compensation for the minor inconvenience we'll go through.

On a personal level, I'm glad they are removing the cities, they never really fit the classic AO look, they were all almost identical regardless of faction.

What some may not see is that now there will be more room for Funcom and the Devs to add content on Rubi-ka itself, without hundreds of cities cluttering the whole landscape.

Imagine.

Coast of Peace.
    Coast of Tranquility.
    3 Craters East.
    3 Craters West.

Four entire playfields which were mainly made just to hold cities... now all open and clear, great potential for new content.
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast