Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    Is the game really that dead
    Guess you have not played in a while. Yes, it is that dead. When I started playing about 7 years ago, OA always had bad lag because of all the people there. Lets just say that is no longer an issue. It used to be easy to get teams on LFT, now your lucky if 2 people want the same thing. If they do 1 is afk.

People log on, run their daily mish and then log off. That is AO right now for many (not all) people. I know many people that have stopped paying plan to come back when the new engine comes out. They just gave up waiting for it. Both of my paid accounts are now frozen for that exact reason.

I have tried to find a replacement for AO. The other games with superb graphics, scantily clad women, and super cool weapon/spell effects. Yet after playing them for just a little while, you know the whole game. No thinking, no strategy, no effort to put on armor or to trade skill. I love this game but I sure hate the way it is going right now.

I think a lot of people are just fed up with the lack of updates, lack of proven progress, lack of bug fixes (try entering the HQ or the OA mish shop), and a general lack of credibility. I am not saying their liars but it has been well documented that a graphics update was promised years ago. I don't blame Lindelu for past issues but she has to realize that we have been down this road before of a new engie for the 3rd or 4th time now. We have seen a few pics of heads and a 1 minute video with about 30 seconds of game screens. It just isn't enough.

Lookin' forward to the patch coming up tomorrow!

If by tomorrow you mean thursday.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    If by tomorrow you mean thursday.
    Thought they said June the 12th?

Yea, but that slipped.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Yea, but that slipped.

I wont be enjoying it until Friday then..

But tomorrow premium users get Close Quarters access in BF3 So everything still good!
    The Red Brotherhood

But tomorrow premium users get Close Quarters access in BF3 So everything still good!
    I stopped playing FPS games.. :/ CoD just brought out the worst in me

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Darkripper View Post
    Quoting some answers Means gave from a FWM, what happened to this:
    "Have you ever thought of making a new "battlestation" map?
    Many times. We have some ideas we'd like to see realized next year. Mstrbstrd has assured me he will give up eating and sleeping to get this done."
    I would appreciate an answer, not vague or evasive tho, as we all know you often answer that way...

The team have talked about this many times before, although there hasn't been time to begin making new PvP content since I took over after Means - we have too many large commitments to fullfil as is, we've already begun speaking with many of you to ensure that our goals and focuses for possible PvP content are the same as your own. I will allow us to begin considering this after we've pushed out the new player experience and some of the systems changes, and even though we're not there yet I look forward to it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    I hope new pet controls mean actual controls, not pet pathing or hate list managment.
    No offense but each time you guys have touched pet behaviour it has gotten worse.
    The new controls will include options for what you want the default state to be for your pet (:
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

Funcom employee

We've decided to spend a couple of days to iron out some small issues with the new market, and we'll be announcing the finalized release date later this week, thank you very much for all the feedback this month! And don't worry, the patch will happen before the birthday celebrations (:
    Former Game Director of Anarchy Online.

Bleh more battlestation maps will only further channel people away from interactive content and into zones where they're invisible. The Battlestation was a good idea when the game had a lot more people and the cities were being blerghed out by people running around doing pvp and sploiting like mad or rushing for backyards. But since that's no longer the case, for a bunch of reasons, the BS is just another place where people go to fight eachother.

But if you want to have more, then consider that the "I R PVP" crowd doesn't care in the slighest about the capture and holding of points, towers, or whatnot. They just want a deathmatch or team deathmatch arena, so don't spend time involving anything like capture points or whatever. Look to some classic pvp maps from Quake or Unreal Tournament and draw some inspiration from those to build a couple of solid maps for fighting others. But do try to be a little more open. AO doesn't do well with enclosed spaces.
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by lindelu View Post
    And don't worry, the patch will happen before the birthday celebrations (:
    silly me, i read this as "christmas celebrations" first. *fg*

btw i second the opinion about not touching pet behaviour somewhat, because I experienced a lot of pet-improvement-patches and the guy has a valied point - it got worse every single time. then next they will begin enabling fall damage again. oh, the humanity...
    220 Agent + :: 220 Doctor + :: 220 Soldier + :: 220 Enforcer + :: 220 Bureaucrat + :: 217 Adventurer + :: 217 Trader + :: 159 Engineer :: 112 Fixer

Inferno Travelguides

The new controls will include options for what you want the default state to be for your pet (:
    !!!
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

But if you want to have more, then consider that the "I R PVP" crowd doesn't care in the slighest about the capture and holding of points, towers, or whatnot. They just want a deathmatch or team deathmatch arena, so don't spend time involving anything like capture points or whatever.
    I agree, pvp'ers enjoy pvp for what it is. But if you add a significant outcome to the fight, it usually makes people want to fight harder/more. One perfect example is Tara, although with the population these days, and the outdated gear it doesn't quite work anymore.

I think they did try to create a map for pure pvp, which was released some time ago. I don't think it's used very much, most likely due to design issues though.

Look to some classic pvp maps from Quake or Unreal Tournament and draw some inspiration from those to build a couple of solid maps for fighting others. But do try to be a little more open. AO doesn't do well with enclosed spaces.
    I wonder what makes you think that a brilliant FPS (Team)Deathmatch map would suit a MMORPG pvp fight ? The differences in the gameplay of the 2 genres are so huge that I can't see why one would want the maps to be similar.
    Thornee - resurrected lowbie, former 200 Fixer
    Stannerd - 220 Soldier
    Megusta - TL7 Doc
    Kaleeh - TL5 Shade

Quote Originally Posted by Thorneee View Post
    I agree, pvp'ers enjoy pvp for what it is. But if you add a significant outcome to the fight, it usually makes people want to fight harder/more. One perfect example is Tara, although with the population these days, and the outdated gear it doesn't quite work anymore.

I think they did try to create a map for pure pvp, which was released some time ago. I don't think it's used very much, most likely due to design issues though.
    Indeed, Tara is a good example, and we could have more like this, but it's also problematic to congest all pvp content into stuff where you end up having 50+ people on each side running there, and the challenge of creating a battle scape that would succesfully incorporate so many players is a long one. The cry has gone out for more BS map variety as BS remains a popular activity among a lot of people, and it's something that could be done in a relatively swift manner, on the side, while other content we've waited far longer for is being worked upon. No gear design stuff, no balance issues to take into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorneee View Post
    I wonder what makes you think that a brilliant FPS (Team)Deathmatch map would suit a MMORPG pvp fight ? The differences in the gameplay of the 2 genres are so huge that I can't see why one would want the maps to be similar.
    The classic deathmatch arenas are comprised of a series of chokepoints, open areas, and hallways which all have multiple inroads and exits. Terrain can be used as an advantage, to hide from LoS (though for AO and nukes that's usualy bad for the recipient), to move about swiftly and come in from an unexpected direction. Map domination is an important factor in oldschool games, grabbing weapons and powerups when they spawn, and as AO does support giving out buffs from world items, they probably could create the equivalent of Quad Damage or similar.
    The map ideas are classic, the gameplay in the two genres are widely different, but having the same basic attitude towards map design is not a mistake or bad idea. Movement and positioning should be important, but it's not in the current BS as it's just wide open areas that you run around in. Except the few interesting areas around the capture points at the edge.
    The Red Brotherhood

For people who didn't try SWTOR, watch this video on Huttball. It's the map where I had the most fun in a MMO.
    blah

Bleh more battlestation maps will only further channel people away from interactive content and into zones where they're invisible. The Battlestation was a good idea when the game had a lot more people and the cities were being blerghed out by people running around doing pvp and sploiting like mad or rushing for backyards. But since that's no longer the case, for a bunch of reasons, the BS is just another place where people go to fight eachother.

But if you want to have more, then consider that the "I R PVP" crowd doesn't care in the slighest about the capture and holding of points, towers, or whatnot. They just want a deathmatch or team deathmatch arena, so don't spend time involving anything like capture points or whatever. Look to some classic pvp maps from Quake or Unreal Tournament and draw some inspiration from those to build a couple of solid maps for fighting others. But do try to be a little more open. AO doesn't do well with enclosed spaces.
    BS was a terrible idea to me because it overwrote one of the best open PvP systems by an WoW idea... which can be lucrative, small, efficient and maybe wanted by some players but is never a good idea.

Well make use of the stupid kill-farm behavior. The BS map and the actual player behavior on BS scream for a KOTH playstyle there people on the hill (core) get a VP tick and the others get their kills and maybe healing done on the hill/level of the player or something like that.

To revive open PvP kill outside buffs on tower wars. If people had to fight without HnQ, Behe and such, a lot more classes would be useful (healers would have an actual purpose). That would require to list all nanos with their ql and if a buff is to high for (OE rule 25%?) a tower site it gets canceled. Tower, hp, dmg and playre to player damage would need to be reconsidered but in the end open PvP would stop being that elitist club as it is atm and be more open to newcomers but still be a good reason for twinking.
    Last edited by Garremp; Jun 12th, 2012 at 15:13:33.

Wonderful, good news then.

But if you want to have more, then consider that the "I R PVP" crowd doesn't care in the slighest about the capture and holding of points, towers, or whatnot.
    Completely false. Make a good objective-based map, be it even classic setting like controlling points or capture the *** and you'll see. Its just the Battlestation map is such a terrible design, it would fail hard even in actual FPS shooter.

Those long corridors... christ. They did fix it eventually and cleaned the place up but someone had to ruin it with "brilliant" idea to enable spawns all over the map instead.

But the absolutely worst thing are capping mechanics. Taking the control over point while there's an actual fighting still going on around it? Encouraging the tankiest, fastest , virtually unstoppable professions to just run around capping points? What the actual hell, man?

In typical shooter, even if there are classes/professions made specifically for taking over control points, they drop down after you sneeze.

In FPS terms, in AO you commonly run into equivalent of TF2 Heavy, as fast and elusive TF2 Scout, and ubercharged by TF2 Medic, running around taking over points while you cant do anything.

Well no wonder nobody in the I R PVP crowds cares about experience so completely pointless.

Plz any date on next patch, as it was supposed to be yesterday??????

Quote Originally Posted by larzba77 View Post
    Plz any date on next patch, as it was supposed to be yesterday??????
    We've decided to spend a couple of days to iron out some small issues with the new market, and we'll be announcing the finalized release date later this week, thank you very much for all the feedback this month! And don't worry, the patch will happen before the birthday celebrations (:
    You really only need to use one question mark.
    The Red Brotherhood

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast