Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: In-Game Mailbox

In-Game Mailbox

Ok, how many times have you found what you needed on the forums, then spent days trying to get online at the same time as the seller who agrees to trade it to you? And then you find he/she sold it ingame?

Or how about the time you lent someone that item so they could twink up a bit, and had to chase them around for weeks to get it back?

Each player could have a mailbox, where other players could deposit items/credits, and where you could go pick stuff up when you logged in. Just like the inbox at your office.

Sounds do-able to me, and in a world such as Rubi-Ka, with such high technology, I'm sure an inbox would fit right in.

What do you say?

-Mashalash

All your postal services are belongs to us! Give fixers this task already!

Bump for a cool and functional idea. I have lost track of any number of items I have borrowed to *checks to see if someone he knows is listening in* one good for nothing guildie after another
    Seraphael - 200 fixer
    Pepzi - ** agent
    Troxitazz - retired trader

Like the idea too.

LittleHorror Pistol Adventurer
    Applicant of
    Legion

Rubi-Ka 1 (Atlantean)

Creator of the Needed_Skills program.
    You want to know what the max skill you can get with what item you got.

Creator of the Pattern Collector program.
    This program keep track of your patterns, you can manual add or delete patternpieces or use the Chat Window option to do it for you.

Creator of the Symbiant Collector program.

Creator of the AO_Buy_Sell version 1 program.
    Still in progress

no fair, you thought of the idea first!

anyway, my idea was basically the same except that the players also had a mailbox right in their hud that allowed them to send/recieve emails from/to other players.

But, this mailbox in the hud would be special because it would be linked to the forums. I was considering making it a real, live, email address, but i axed that idea because i don't people using the AO address as their form of mail in real life. I also do not want to receive junk mail about how to make my sexual organ larger.

But back to my idea, the mail is linked to the forums, so forum members would be able to mail members in game via the forum webpage. But, i want to take this one step further. Not only would players be able to message eachother via the official forum webpage. They would also be able to message each other via any website that implements this 'code.' The websites i'm thinking about would be the many guild sites!

Think about it. If you are the guild leader and you want to tell everybody in your guild that there is a meeting on friday, all you would have to do is go to your guild website and simply tell them via the in game mail.

I think, that if this was implemented, it would greatly personalize ones experience within AO, as well as simplify things.

Bump for stored and referenced messaging at least via an ingame mailbox. The idea of being able to leave creds and items (no Uniquies or NO DROPS of course) is even better.

I'm all for this idea. This isn't the first time I've seen this suggestion (or one very close) and I think it is a good idea. Other games have ideas similar to this--some have ingame "email" (SWG I've heard has this) or others have ingame package mailing (FFXIII I've heard). Old text-muds had "delivery daemons" for auction-winners and auction-sellers to exchange their money for item without having to necessarily meet. And such ideas would fit in well with sci-fi settings.

Very good idea indeed.
    *la la land*
    FIRST ORDER 4 evah!

Nice idea, I want a mail office... to rob.. eh, no I mean.. eh to send flowers to me mom.

I think it would be a good idea to be able to send stuff to other people, for free or for a price, without haveing to worry about what time zone they are in. Of course any bags you send would have to be empty, although it should be possible to send several items.

Actually they could make this something fixers (and other would-be-messengers) helped out with, ie the fixer would be assigned as messenger to deliver the package to a certain point at a certain time. Like doing a mixture between repair item & find person mission, just that the target is the person recieving the package and it's done whereever the target person is.(Perhaps restricted to whenever the person enters major cities.)
    "Hail Young Messenger! You will deliver this package to SneakingAgent (currently residing) at Bottomless Pit #47 in Pandemonium. If you do this within the next 43 seconds you will earn the reward of 17 credits and a ql 2 muscle stim. Good Luck"
    (Target is a sneaking, AFKed agent in some hell-hole in Pandemonium... nice mission that.)

Sadly(for fixers) the messenger can't open the package and the recipients can at any time go to the mail office and collect his package on his own. (He/She get's a message when he logs in, "You have a package from GridArmorSalesMan at the mail office in Old Athen")
    If the messenger isn't fast enough his mission times out but he can still deliver the package, as long as the recipient accepts the trade that is. When the recipient "uses" the package a short dialog opens up before he/she can access the item so he can pay whatever cost the seller has set.

Hmm you should perhaps have an option (as recipient) to NOT spawn any messenger missions, or perhaps that should be the default.
    A funny twist would be if one delivery coud spawn several (two or three) messengers, and only the fastest one would get paid.
    (R-click the package on the recipient to get mission completion, trade the package-item to the recipient afterwards.)
    Of course the pay wouldn't be that good, don't want someone farming messenger missions for one of their alts (on a separate account) for free XP.
    May your RD always kick in between death and reclaim.
    Honest Businessmen and women: The Mockers
    I eat Grid Armor nanos. *BURP* Hungry again!
    Power Users run Anarchy Online from Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaghelion
    Nice idea, I want a mail office... to rob.. eh, no I mean.. eh to send flowers to me mom.

I think it would be a good idea to be able to send stuff to other people, for free or for a price, without haveing to worry about what time zone they are in. Of course any bags you send would have to be empty, although it should be possible to send several items.

Actually they could make this something fixers (and other would-be-messengers) helped out with, ie the fixer would be assigned as messenger to deliver the package to a certain point at a certain time. Like doing a mixture between repair item & find person mission, just that the target is the person recieving the package and it's done whereever the target person is.(Perhaps restricted to whenever the person enters major cities.)
    "Hail Young Messenger! You will deliver this package to SneakingAgent (currently residing) at Bottomless Pit #47 in Pandemonium. If you do this within the next 43 seconds you will earn the reward of 17 credits and a ql 2 muscle stim. Good Luck"
    (Target is a sneaking, AFKed agent in some hell-hole in Pandemonium... nice mission that.)

Sadly(for fixers) the messenger can't open the package and the recipients can at any time go to the mail office and collect his package on his own. (He/She get's a message when he logs in, "You have a package from GridArmorSalesMan at the mail office in Old Athen")
    If the messenger isn't fast enough his mission times out but he can still deliver the package, as long as the recipient accepts the trade that is. When the recipient "uses" the package a short dialog opens up before he/she can access the item so he can pay whatever cost the seller has set.

Hmm you should perhaps have an option (as recipient) to NOT spawn any messenger missions, or perhaps that should be the default.
    A funny twist would be if one delivery coud spawn several (two or three) messengers, and only the fastest one would get paid.
    (R-click the package on the recipient to get mission completion, trade the package-item to the recipient afterwards.)
    Of course the pay wouldn't be that good, don't want someone farming messenger missions for one of their alts (on a separate account) for free XP.
    Interesting idea, but I think it's taking it a bit too far (personally). I agree with Mashalasha's original post, and also think that you should only be able to pick your packages up at designated "post office-ish" locations located in major cities.

Just send the dev's a Copy of WoW with a sticky-note on it saying "retro-engineer the Auctionhouse and Mailboxs" on it. tbh that system is so far ahead of the current shop/GMS setup we have now its not even funny

Having a Mailbox would make things sell alot faster, cheaper, easier for those who have cities out in CoP or other places hard to get to or surrounded by lvl62357124 mobs, and being able to mail yourself stuff would save me on avg about 30min a day from swaping between chars for handing stuff from one over to the other.

BUMP for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Halp halp a prof i used too kill with 12345 just pwned me halp

You hit Bbyron for 1337 points of poison damage.Critical hit!
    Ninjamancer: 215/17 Neutral Opi Agent. (the ubermain) Equip
    Lightwielder: 190/9 Neutral Soli Keeper. (the uberalt)
    Kitsunekid: 60/6 Omni Soli Soldier. (the wtfuberalt) Equip
    Faefighter:Testserver Omni Opi MA. (Crit, Crit, Evade, Splat! )

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjamancer
    Just send the dev's a Copy of WoW with a sticky-note on it saying "retro-engineer the Auctionhouse and Mailboxs" on it.

I bet the devs have got WoW already and are laughing at you right now.
    i win teh internets
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpacket
    omg luk i h4ve 12 yrs & i sw3r cuz i'm s000 l33t
    Quote Originally Posted by Tysken View Post
    its always these damn problems.. 24/7 6 days a week..

XD

Hell yes for a mailbox!!

yeah, can't believe I haven't seen this suggested before.
    This should be a long thread I think

BUMP for this idea
    Joe "Sefus" Werkit 212/17
    Squad Commander - PR - Recruitment
    3305 Local

bump

use linux for AO btw.
    i win teh internets
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpacket
    omg luk i h4ve 12 yrs & i sw3r cuz i'm s000 l33t
    Quote Originally Posted by Tysken View Post
    its always these damn problems.. 24/7 6 days a week..

XD

lol! great idea!! BUT ALSO!! make messages when your done looking at it, make it self destruct in 10 seconds and explode it

BUMPO!

bump
    Neophyte "Ruberaa" 5/0 - lolequip

Bumpage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrys View Post
    Halp halp a prof i used too kill with 12345 just pwned me halp

You hit Bbyron for 1337 points of poison damage.Critical hit!
    Ninjamancer: 215/17 Neutral Opi Agent. (the ubermain) Equip
    Lightwielder: 190/9 Neutral Soli Keeper. (the uberalt)
    Kitsunekid: 60/6 Omni Soli Soldier. (the wtfuberalt) Equip
    Faefighter:Testserver Omni Opi MA. (Crit, Crit, Evade, Splat! )

Quote Originally Posted by Sefus
    Hell yes for a mailbox!!

yeah, can't believe I haven't seen this suggested before.
    This should be a long thread I think

BUMP for this idea
    Actually, it have been suggested before, but got shot down faster than you can say: aye

Something about wow, heh.

Exclamation

Please add this as it is greatly needed
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke
    ------------------------
    Serendipity is looking for a needle in a haystack and finding the farmer's daughter.
    ------------------------
    "Your safety guaranteed, in just a few arns." - Staleek
    "Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows, how're you going to guarantee my safety?" - John Crichton

nice idea and it would fit well to the AO Technology.. I mean we can use beamers, lasers and lightsabers but can't send stuff to eachother..
    Sonti 220/30 Savior - General of Haven - Website
    Sontrader
    Sonfix
    Sonagent
    Sondoc

<.< is that why I hear that little voice in my head saying *[DING]You've got Mail!*

I could see it now, bashing on the Lord of the Void when suddenly your optical tap kicks in and all you can see is "You've got Mail!" and the sudden alarm not only cuts off aubible communications but spooks you so badly you shoot your team mate in the nads effectively and bloodlessly nuetering him with your Plasma Blaster simply to find out your Library has been returned to you. Once you finally sort out the confusion you clear the optical link as all you can hear is "He's gonna be Killed" as you see one of the Lord's heads slowly covering your field of vision as your head slowly disappears into it's jaws before it bites down....

LOL doesn't this sound like fun...good thing they have that regeneration system in place
    Rimor: (levels updated every Saturday)
    SirSkewer 20/0 Opi Shade
    MrBlackGuard 25/0 Sol Keeper Equip
    Alphasmith 20/2 Opi Agent
    Gridskid 14/2 Opi Fixer
    DrGadget 18/2 Opi Engi
    MrNomad 13/"2" Sol Adv
    MrTats 9/"2" NM MP
    Meteorz 20/2 NM NT

*Children in the Dark make Accidents*
    *Accidents in the Dark make Children*

Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast