Thread: Get map upgrades, see mobs around you

Get map upgrades, see mobs around you

I thought I would post a playing tip to help those who might not know yet. You can buy upgrades in the map vendor in the general stores that will allow you to see other players, doors and mobs in your mission and all outdoor areas that you've uploaded maps for.

To get the basic four upgrades, you need to get to 130 map navigation. The upgrades are at the very end of the listing in the map vendors in general stores. (For extreme twinking, you can make a temorary set of map navigation implants to buff map navigation high enough to upload the upgrades and not spend IP. Not really worth it for a brand new person on their first character.)

Also, you can upload mission location to your Planet map (press P) and your mini-map (ctl-6). To upload the mission location, right click on the mission icon in your missions panel (ctl-4) and select "upload to map".

(This public service announcement has been brought to you by Transcendence. Studies by human resources personnel indicate that new colonists are not being given proper orientation training before coming to the planet surface. Transcendence, surpassing all others.)
    RK1 ~Knights Templar~ General
    Goonn, 207 Fixer
    Mairibeth, 182 ENG // Revcove, 182 MP
    Koave, 135 ADV // Noaille, 145 Agent

Gaute Godager: There is no camping in Shadowlands.
    Phazeblyght: So... no camping in SL... that means people 'get a room'

Good post, Cove.

I (as a returning player) have also found that new players are having a heck of a time with things that the rest of us take for granted, with maps being a great example.

Personally, I take remaining IP (you know, when you get that 100 or so IP that don't add up to another point in your important skills and dump them into Map Nav. Then, using that and trickle down from attributes, I go to the map term every 10-20 levels and buy all the maps that are between my last map upload and my current skill and upload them. I currently have a set of ql80 map imps that my new chars use, and as soon as I can I stick those in and upload again.
    Cyrcuitbord

Quote Originally Posted by Slyyk
    so I did the only thing I could do...ran screaming like a schoolgirl back outside.

Just keep in mind map nav is the ONLY skill you *cannot ever reset*. If you want to get the side upgrade (450 map nav) it pays to get a set of QL200 map nav implants made up to upload. When you're done with them toss them into a twink bag and use them on your next character.

Most people I know raise map nav to about 130, then forget about it til 100-150, then do enough to upload the maps they want, using temporary implants.
    Do you like metal music? Check out my music!
    Cyclophenia MySpace
    Cyclophenia Website

Quote Originally Posted by Viredan
    Just keep in mind map nav is the ONLY skill you *cannot ever reset*. If you want to get the side upgrade (450 map nav) it pays to get a set of QL200 map nav implants made up to upload. When you're done with them toss them into a twink bag and use them on your next character.

Most people I know raise map nav to about 130, then forget about it til 100-150, then do enough to upload the maps they want, using temporary implants.

I agree with this sentiment totally.
    There are times in all our lives when the questions asked of us will leave us no option but to give answers of which we are neither proud nor happy.

At these times, remember that it could be worse. The question that we may have to ask could be "would you like fries with that?"

good info. I posted a link to this in the Attention New Arrivals! Welcome to Anarchy Online! thread at the top.
    Udon (doctor), Koyangi (trader), Jajangmyun (adventurer) of Shattered Dreams of Rimor. [website]

(now in order of play/activity! along with some other lowbie alts.)

Also worth mentioning is that the shadowlands maps up to elysium requires adventuring to use, believe ely require 150 adventuring, the maps for the playfields beyond ely is adventurer only, but i try to get the ely map uploaded on all my chars, some mobs in ely (eremites) can be below ground so not all easy to see, the minimap helps a lot.

This info is of course less usefull if you don't have shadowlands but it seems many people do upgrade, the nano that contain the map drops of yutto's geosurvey dog, for elysium the dog is roaming just nort of the ergo portal from nascense, there is another over at tinker tower to, might be more but those are the ones i know of, seems he always drops the map nano.
    Rimor Server
    Robotgubben lvl 173/14/29 engineer

Side update is good to shop when you efort the AI yalma what buff the skill up nicely. With 130 base+implants+AI yalma you get 450 easy (if you know what you are doing).

220 Dictator & Adept
    220 Field Marshal & Talented
    216 Eternalist & Adept
    204 Saint & Intermediate

--Total Levels Gained--
    Rubi-Ka: 2000+ | Shadow: 50+ | Alien: 40+ | Very old Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch

Another thing to remember, for those with SL, is that at L20 a perk gets available that gives +20 to Map Nav.
    I usually put in the perk point, buff up my base abilities and use implants for the remainder up to 130 and once I've uploaded the map upgrade I unlearn the perk again.
    Tempus fugit.

Everybody has a photographic memory.
    Some don't have film.

When you find a big kettle of crazy it's best not to stir it.
    -PHB/Scott Adams

Unhappy

its the MAIN thing i miss with my lower level alts no map oh no...
    and then specially after elysium no map oh no...