Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accepted use of Beckoning

Accepted use of Beckoning

ok, so I am just coming back from a 9 month hiatus. I left shortly after AI launch. I did one alien raid, and got my first alien level. I took The Call rank 1.

Now that i am back, i am actually using the +dmg perk that rank 1 gives, which gives +dmg of your lvl to the team and changes everyones damage type to cold. It doesnt hurt me since I use dual gelids and am setup for cold damage, but I am not sure how my teamates would like their damage type being changed.

So I guess my question is, does Beckoning change everyones damage type after all their +dmg gear mods are calculated or am I hurting the team by changing there damage types? Just curious what the general concensus is.

Edit: Ok so after i remembered there was a search function, I see that it does screw MAs and other non-cold Advys up. So next question is, does anyone still use the Beckoning even though this happens? Maybe just use it for solo play ?
    Last edited by Imotherearth; May 9th, 2005 at 17:16:23.

You are correct it's bad for advies, on my Mp who used to use FBR, loved it. The main place this perk pwns is in biodome.
    Acardia Level 220 Pistolero- hit 220 in Org City
    Adolphus Level 215 Dictator
    Festamus Level 220 Hammer Swinging trox with pets

Before you loose everything it's good to realize that life is beautiful.

guess I will just have to reserve using that perk for when I solo or until they change the perk. I was afraid to use it in my first team since coming back before asking here. Oh well.

I rather like that perkline, but the first special sucks if you aren't using gelids.

If you aren't really planning on doing tons of soloing, adding to hp, nanopool, and evades is a pretty decent line to raise.

The nuke does 1100 damage with a pretty decent recharge, and the perk heal "awakening" is nice as well.
    LVL 220 Vanguard Out to pasture
    LVL 220 Eternalist researching
    LVL 220 Dictator Retired
    LVL 220 Field Marshal Resetting/twinking

LVL 220 Savior (researching)

Firetree Server, Horde of course

ma's hate it I can tell you that, other profs I dont know, matter on circomstances I think, against hecklers when you hit min damage its no big deal(cept for mas, theye do cold damage for the duration, then theye do melee cause for some reason the cold overwrits fist damge setting and then it runs out and leaves ma doing melee damage untill theye recast fists of fire/chemical even though that nano is still in ncu)

think that same problems applies when you use the fire bracer from CoH, do fire damage, then it gets turned to cold, then when the call runs out you do default weapon damagetype untill you re-equip bracers
    Becky "Cenelia" Schatz and equipment
    Picture drawn by MrFli

[Clan OOC]Azzreal: ok all pay attention. Qwazeech and cen are now elevated to god (and godess) status

Douglas Adams: "I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end"

/)(X.(>_x)(\<) bunnies shouldnt play with blenders
    disclaimer: bunny was not hurt permanently thanks to my divine powers

did you cuddle a leet today?

Quote Originally Posted by Portulis
    I rather like that perkline, but the first special sucks if you aren't using gelids..
    why's that? it sets damagetype to cold and adds cold damage equal to your level. If you use a weapon that deals melee damage you'll still hit for cold when the call is running
    Picture drawn by MrFli

[Clan OOC]Azzreal: ok all pay attention. Qwazeech and cen are now elevated to god (and godess) status

Douglas Adams: "I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to end"

Correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I remember there are 2 important things to remember:

1. Why this may sux for others?
    Because after Beckoning runs out all add dam items effects (no matter what type) are canceled and the only way to have them again is to unequip then equip again those items.

2. I think Beckoning only affects ppl that are morphed so if any other adv in your team or MA does not like it (and they will not like it most of the time) there is a partial solution that is they should not be morphed.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Quote Originally Posted by Awi
    2. I think Beckoning only affects ppl that are morphed so if any other adv in your team or MA does not like it (and they will not like it most of the time) there is a partial solution that is they should not be morphed.

that looks like something good to test

Quote Originally Posted by Cenelia
    why's that? it sets damagetype to cold and adds cold damage equal to your level. If you use a weapon that deals melee damage you'll still hit for cold when the call is running
    Well Awi explained it well, but if you are a pistol adventurer it screws up your Arul damage, same I guess for the 1he guys.

If that bug wasn't present it would be ok....

Maybe the new professionals can push for a fix to that.
    LVL 220 Dictator Retired

Yes it only affects morphed team members.
    Plexor 220/23 Adventurer
    The Red Brotherhood

Account Created
    2001-06-29 19:30:30

for a mid-level team it would be pretty good, but past level 200 people start to really rake in the +dmg mods, and that's when it starts to bug them.
    Rotender - 51% Share holder of Omni-Tek

Me

If you do this on a sk team or sk mission be prepared to hear lots of whining....It is so not worth it.

On my soldier if I have a morph on (and most soldiers want the morph for the damage mod) to get rid of the "bug" I have to re-equip my arul sabas. I like the line personally and if I'm on my FBR keeper what the heck morph him and use beckoning but the high level guys aren't gonna go for it at all.
    LVL 220 Dictator Retired

All u gotta do is ask team before i esp love it cause it stacks w/sold and keeper +dam buffs.

It's actually quite debatable on whether or not this perk is worth using in any circumstance other than a gelid wielding adv, and even then it's questionable.

Truth be told this perk owns in biodome, but often ends up in dead advs. ;p

If you're wielding gelids and a lot of people in your team are setup with very different damage mods or are unmorphed, it could be overall* detremental to activate, bringing the whole teams damage down just to raise yours temporarily. Also, if I remember correctly the spam while not being morphed was really fo0king annoying.

My personal favorite time to use this perk is on Tara. Despite common belief we compared MA damage before and after the cold perk and a couple MAs I was teamed with were hitting for more with the cold perk running. With a lot of cold dmg add items etc, it also means that ranged can actually almost keep up with melee as far as DD goes with tara (where previously ranged advs had always done completely crap for damage on T due to the nature of our weapons, especially pre-Type4)

But generally this perk is more harmful than helpful. It's unfortunate that it's not just an overall damage add perk..I'm sure we'd use it a lot more. (It'd be just like Suppressive Hoarde )
    <3 <3 <3
    Spank "Gothvampyre" Machine - Level 220 Pistolero
    (First in AO to ding 220 on The Beast, LOL <3)
    Wannabe "Tehvamp" Loser222 - 220 Opisex Soldier
    Gothvampyre 1337 spanks you!
    <3 <3 <3

WOW! Thanks for the responses. thorough and concise.

its good to be back to the AO forums, the WoW forums were making me depressed

die wow die :<
    <3 <3 <3
    Spank "Gothvampyre" Machine - Level 220 Pistolero
    (First in AO to ding 220 on The Beast, LOL <3)
    Wannabe "Tehvamp" Loser222 - 220 Opisex Soldier
    Gothvampyre 1337 spanks you!
    <3 <3 <3

As Rotender says I think the perk does only any good pre 202 (you can get 4 gem arul saba's at this level) and you have no MA's in the team. MA's damage buffs get screwed up by it and also if you have another Adv in your team who uses a bracer of recondite flames (which set damage type to fire). After using beckoning you have to re-equip the bracer to get the effect again. And seeing it's your only AI special I can only asume you are very eagre to us it. A good friend of mine who is currently around lvl 185 has also this 1 AI special and he wants to use it when ever he can, but he always asks the rest of team if they are ok with it.

Personally, I never use it only as others already mentioned at BioDome raids. I don't even have it on my hotbar.

Ow and to Gothy. I've always done pretty decent pre AI on Tara with my Jepp/RoP combo. <3 4k crits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psythe View Post
    I have learned that most of the community is, for lack of a better word, dumb.
    R.I.P. Breyers

Beckoning is handy when you're fighting a mob with a huge fire reflect and you're melee, using axes that you can't self-equip.

Other than that, it's good to annoy MAs and ranged advs.
    Pompidou, Vanguard - Setup
    Zitrone, Deity (?) - PvP PvM

AO PvP Guide for beginners (by Silentslash)
    Waiting for LostEden... if it ever comes out!

well i did some teaming with a few friends who have a city for themselves, and got a few really nice alien items, like one of the new recompilers. I got a few alien levels too, but since i have found myself not using Beckoning, I have removed that and put them all into the alien expertise for now. I am lucky that I was one of the first few people to do the Bazzit quest before I left, so I already had the Bazzit device. Thank you again for everyone who has responded. Its obvious that this perk has its uses, however specific its uses are, and that if FC takes away the dmg change, that this perk would be extremely useful.

Oh and Generals take forever with 3 people.

Quote Originally Posted by Portulis
    Well Awi explained it well, but if you are a pistol adventurer it screws up your Arul damage, same I guess for the 1he guys.
    off course, makes sense, if it overrides damagetype from ma fists tehn it'll most likely screw up damage adds as well, should have guessed that one
    Picture drawn by MrFli

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast