Thread: mysterious chests in CoH

cant pull him he is rooted to his chair like the fat god he is

so i spent an hour reading this thread because the newest patch has completely f-ed up ao.... im quite intrigued by these mysteries, and have wondered about the statue quite a bit myself. i didnt know about the boxes, or that the tier glyphs even had any meaning behind the symbols. ive been playing this game long enough to have some knowledge of whats broken and whats working and what might or might not be, to me this seems like it really is something that the player base is going to have to figure out but probably is working as intended. my guess is that the chests hold keys (kinda like the data cores form pf) and when you combine all three it gives you a key the beasts lair. doesnt cerubin kinda make you think of a baby beast? ugly as all hell with tentacles and is kinda pretty hard to kill? lest we forget the exit from beasts lair is temple in home... maybe it doubles as an entrance? that would be nice so you dont have to go romping around pande for 3 hours waiting for people on dial up and idiots who dont know how to read raid leader commands in chat. or it could just be sets of beast armor in the chests O_o who knows.

althought i have speculations as to what might be in the chests i dont know about opening them. the translated glyphs seem to be a good start. has anyone tried wearing a reanimators robe and fiddling with the skeleton i nthe room? perhaps an mp casting one of the temple/inner snactum pet crystals (the trapped energy or whatever they are that you combine with the funeral urns) and using those on things. i find it hard to blieve that they key to this riddle would lie in a single prof =p that would be prejudice. but never hurts, wearking all cerubin stuff is too obvious, i have a knac for solving stuff but with the lack of CoH time i dont know whats at hand or what can be used with what. the spear of forbidden ceremonies didnt seem like it would yield much, ive had "no ammo found" and "wrong ammo type" for melee weapons plenty of times before. even with ones not listed and have only had that problem once (eqb, styg, fbr, abyssal dece., etc) the spear is just that - a weapon =p although some of the items that drop in catacombs might be useful. i seem to recall finding a sacraficial dagger or something down there many times. and the pendants that dont do anything. could be clues, never know!

many things could come from this, the message from the shere statue is new to me when i clicked it before nothing happened, no messages at all, but of course i havnt been in crypt for well over a year and a half now. i tried my garden keys on it last time i was there though, nothing. i really wish i could actually play the game at the moment ;p wtb un-patch pst - oh yeah wtb frn as well.

p.s. sorry i dont have any ideas about becoming cerubin... but im sure you understand when i say wearing cerubin items is too obvious. i hate solving puzzles and riddles, ani might have been on to something with the holloween polymorphs. but i doubt that is the answer either because they lack a cerubin morph. the closes you can get is bane. but like i said broken stuff, as of late, is blatantly obvious to spot (i.e. they fixed sb timers, but neglected to level lock the sb upload - THAT is broke) ... this doesnt sound like its broken. will update after i get a chance to play without a 30 min delay on everything and find an engi to warp my engi in there ^_~

Quote Originally Posted by Burningsmell View Post
    Crypt was developed for players <110, so I don't think the item(s) comes from an endgame place or mob. All the 110 players in the game could get together and not kill LOTV. What ever it is, I think it is RK, Nacense, Ely, maybe Schoel.
    CoH was not developped for players <110, because higher level players can be warped in it (a fact that I always found disturbing).

By the same token it is a team effort for high level players to get in. But a team that requires a certain profession to be present (namely: engineer). It is also a team and coordination effort to get past the door opened with the levers.

These might be clues that opening the chests should also be a team and coordination effort with a certain mix of mandatory profession present.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega_Black View Post
    p.s. sorry i dont have any ideas about becoming cerubin... but im sure you understand when i say wearing cerubin items is too obvious. i hate solving puzzles and riddles, ani might have been on to something with the holloween polymorphs. but i doubt that is the answer either because they lack a cerubin morph. the closes you can get is bane. but like i said broken stuff, as of late, is blatantly obvious to spot (i.e. they fixed sb timers, but neglected to level lock the sb upload - THAT is broke) ... this doesnt sound like its broken. will update after i get a chance to play without a 30 min delay on everything and find an engi to warp my engi in there ^_~
    Reviving the skeleton somehow could possibly make him into a servant of Cerubin which could open the chest. Pure speculation.
    Phanna Shadowblade, 32 Night Elf Rogue
    Teresa "Cinder" Toume, 8 Opifex Fixer Under Construction
    Teresa Koren, Level 14 Twi'Lek Commando
    Emrys "Llenlleawg" Wyddfa, retired 19 Solitus Engineer

i know this has probably been mentioned in the thread, but..

has anyone tried using shere key on it?
    or any other garden/sanc keys?

or an insig

Hi. First of all, great work on all the research and pics and tests you guys have been doing. It might be just a rumour, but someone near the beginning of this thread mentioned that Cz had tested the content and verified it works correctly, so keep up the good work

I noticed a couple of things that may be totally irrelevant, but even if they are, perhaps they will inspire someone to come up with more useful ideas.

I've been looking at the three guardians of the crypt: Alpha Skincrawler, Bane and Cerubin. Has anyone noticed their names start with A, B, C? It could just be a coincidence or something meaningless, but then again, the pattern pieces for SL pocketbosses are alphabetized in the order they are to be combined, so...

From this train of thought, I decided to take a look at the symbols on the walls (thanks Arrone and others for the pics) from the point of view of the three guardians of the crypt. The first set of symbols is pretty confusing, hard to tell anything from them yet. The second set is a bit more open to speculation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrone View Post
    In this pic, looking at the second row of symbols... and starting to wildly hallucinate..

Perhaps the first and second symbol stand for Alpha Skincrawler? The first one does look like a Phoenician Aleph turned on its side. The second one could be an S and looks like a Greek lowercase Sigma or Zeta.

The third symbol (inverted pyramid), doesn't look like much, but it looks a bit like the inverted pyramids that appear on Cerubin's door and behind his throne (pics posted previously, too lazy to find), so perhaps it stands for Cerubin himself.

The last one is kinda weird and a bit of a long shot. If you look at it long enough though, you might be persuaded to see a flat bull head with horns... maybe? Which is what Bane's ugly mug looks like.

So, maybe the second line of symbols stand for Alpha Skincrawler, Cerubin, Bane? Signifying some kind of order? Okay, well, I twisted it around too much, but perhaps someone will pick up on something else.

Keep on diggin'

Here is something else to ponder upon.

Let's assume that Cerubin = Cherubin or Cherubim, a category of angel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherubim. More specifically the angel that was guarding the way to the Tree of Life, east of the Garden of Eden armed with flaming swords (Genesis 3:24).

Now, let's remember that the Beast = the Devil, who was the most powerful of the angels. So powerful that he finally tried to oppose God and was banned as a result and became the Devil.

In CoH we deal with Cerubin the Rejected. Rejected angels usually joined the ranks of the Devil as demons of some sort.

So now we have a Cerubin (an original keeper of the gate to paradise), which is rejected and becomes a servant of the Beast. If Cerubin remains true to his original profession, he is now garding the door to the Garden of the Beast (perhaps to Pandemonium).

What else can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by zartosht View Post
    Here is something else to ponder upon.

Let's assume that Cerubin = Cherubin or Cherubim, a category of angel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherubim. More specifically the angel that was guarding the way to the Tree of Life, east of the Garden of Eden armed with flaming swords (Genesis 3:24).

Now, let's remember that the Beast = the Devil, who was the most powerful of the angels. So powerful that he finally tried to oppose God and was banned as a result and became the Devil.

In CoH we deal with Cerubin the Rejected. Rejected angels usually joined the ranks of the Devil as demons of some sort.

So now we have a Cerubin (an original keeper of the gate to paradise), which is rejected and becomes a servant of the Beast. If Cerubin remains true to his original profession, he is now garding the door to the Garden of the Beast (perhaps to Pandemonium).

What else can I say?
    Of course... this would make complete sense, seeing that the door to the Beast lies in the Pyramid of Home!
    Phanna Shadowblade, 32 Night Elf Rogue
    Teresa "Cinder" Toume, 8 Opifex Fixer Under Construction
    Teresa Koren, Level 14 Twi'Lek Commando
    Emrys "Llenlleawg" Wyddfa, retired 19 Solitus Engineer

Not that this active thread needs it. Bumpidity!
    We're fully capable of breaking two versions at the same time :-P - Enno

Enno rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorhyde View Post
    Stuff about certain items causing a progress bar
    You did do it like you would a PB, right? Highlight chest, right click item? Because we know, for instance, when trying to spawn a PB it no longer works by clicking the PB on the incarnator. Maybe the same mechanic needs to be applied here?

Has anyone tried opening the chest while drinking Mr. Pibb?
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Krause View Post
    Has anyone tried opening the chest while drinking Mr. Pibb?
    yea, but only made me pass gas
    Arrone:Engineer Level 220/16 (RK1)

My Favorite Quotes:
    -S**t Happens...
    -Start everyday with a smile and get it over with...
    -Kill anything that moves...
    -[Clan OOC] Phatsam: <g0atb0t> What's ADD stand for? Attention Deficit LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!

Maybe some item from the beast would open the chest?

Or maybe you should use the tradeskill window and check if some of the CoH items, OR some of "useless" shadowlands items is tradeskill able.
    Verwooks 220/27 Soldier
    Naprapat 220/21 Doctor

General of Ragnarok

Just thought I'd post some (in my opinion) clearer images of the symbols screenied earlier. These were taken from the wall behind bane, jumping in first person view. I had to split it into two as my pillow got in the way.

Top line ( - x g y x n - i ? )
    Bottom line ( - i a b )

Note: I believe the letters in the bottom row are I A B, the first symbol I've never seen before, though going by what's known so far, I can only assume is a F, J, K, Q or W. None of which make sense

Note2: The symbol in the bottom row is from the Red Glyph of the Empress (adventurers) and the first glyph in the top row is from Red Glyph of the Lovers (crats). I can't find the second to last symbol in the top row anywhere. Though as far as I can tell there is no connection at all between the glyph names or professions and the images used.

Have fun with translating and good luck with the chest

Edit: This is above the door the leads to the hallway outside cerubins chamber. It's printed backwards in the first room in CoH as well. (Gobi, Govi?)

Edit2: Probably nothing to do with the chest, but it was mentioned earlier and I was bored

Here's the Glyph Alphabet updated so far and two unknown glyphs.

Source
    Last edited by Telcea; Sep 7th, 2006 at 17:08:19.
    "How do you prove you exist..?
    Maybe we don't exist..."
    - Vivi FFIX
    FFVIII is extremely underrated. It pwns j00!
    I have a custom title and you don't... oh wait, you do
    I have more posts than Satenia

::::: HugeMap is old, CSPmap is new! (Website) (Download) :::::

we've got most of the letters translated. we just need to finish and UNDERSTAND what it means. and as far as i can see it...it means nothing to me lol.

here's another suggestion. maybe the code you enter or sumthin u type while targeting the chest? like when you target an NPC and type sumthin at him, he replies?
    Arrone:Engineer Level 220/16 (RK1)

My Favorite Quotes:
    -S**t Happens...
    -Start everyday with a smile and get it over with...
    -Kill anything that moves...
    -[Clan OOC] Phatsam: <g0atb0t> What's ADD stand for? Attention Deficit LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!

^ ^could be onto something .

type it in vicin when next to the chest...

Quote Originally Posted by Arrone View Post
    here's another suggestion. maybe the code you enter or sumthin u type while targeting the chest? like when you target an NPC and type sumthin at him, he replies?
    That's an interesting solution that I don't think I've seen suggested in this thread before, and I wouldn't rule out the possibility; however, it seems that I read somewhere that FC had done away with that type of interaction for quest related stuff.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there used to be several quests that involved engaging npc's in vicinity chat, but that sort of thing was changed to windowed chat. Again, I wouldn't rule out the possibility, but I'd really hate to think the puzzle was that devious.

Of course, I'm still leaning towards the 'unfinished content' side of this issue, and refuse to waste another nanosecond of ingame time on these chests until FC at the very least confirms that it is possible to open them, but that's just me.
    o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o mahnamahna roflmao mahnamahna o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o

Vlainstrike 220/30ma[S][Pics]; Jadeprakasha 220/12mp; Crashloop 167/23fx
    --------------------------------------------------
    Concept MA Attack: Attack of the Three Fates
    --------------------------------------------------
    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
    ~Lewis Carroll

What about that lady outside CoH which says some kind of seriously long poem or something, maybe she revelas something?
    Gender 'Blackdog' Bender 220/26 Soldier
    Den 'Beskyddaren' Utvalde
    220/18 Keeper
    Kane 'Blacrat' Lives 218/15 Bureaucrat
    Bleeding 'Rofflewaffle' Screaming 180/13 Shade
    Den 'Tempelherren' Trofaste 165/19Fixer

My AO vids:
    Boom! Aimedshot!
    Still Online!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    What about that lady outside CoH which says some kind of seriously long poem or something, maybe she revelas something?
    Could anyone kindly post that poem here?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    That's an interesting solution that I don't think I've seen suggested in this thread before, and I wouldn't rule out the possibility; however, it seems that I read somewhere that FC had done away with that type of interaction for quest related stuff.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there used to be several quests that involved engaging npc's in vicinity chat, but that sort of thing was changed to windowed chat. Again, I wouldn't rule out the possibility, but I'd really hate to think the puzzle was that devious.

Of course, I'm still leaning towards the 'unfinished content' side of this issue, and refuse to waste another nanosecond of ingame time on these chests until FC at the very least confirms that it is possible to open them, but that's just me.
    If you target an Omni gaurd and say "all your base are belong to me" they still reply "Say what now?"

Rofl
    Krause Equip

*** Krause's Evil WTB Thread! (Weird/Odd Stuff) ***
    (Items like "Lost Faith/Hope", "Wreath of Insects", "Chirop Exoskeleton Wing Mesh", "Small Jar", "Old Barrel")
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This is going to get done if it kills me or preferably someone else.

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast