Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie Making, Compressions..

Movie Making, Compressions..

Thought i'd make a a little Thread about what u need to start shooting ur own movie.
    I know alot has been covered in previous posts but imma do it anyhow, incl how to compress =)

First things first...

For recording you will almost always need some software to do it. In this case we will use probably the most common software, Fraps. Fraps is incredibly handy and easy to use even if you have never used it before. You can have the program from Frap's website (http://www.fraps.com).

Setting Fraps up.

After installing the software, open it. A small, handy program will open. Move to the Movies tab and choose the folder to save the movies in. Then choose the button for start/stop recording (default: f9). Now it's the most important thing, choosing the FPS.. The better computer (basicly CPU,
    graphics card and memory) the higher FPS you should put, in order to make the quality look good.

Record.

So you want to record something? Well this is quite easy.. Just log on the game and press the video capture hotkey (default: F9) and once you are finished, press it again to stop the record (unregistered fraps will only let you record for 30seconds each time). Now you have a video clip and you can continue to take more of them and when you are ready you may put all the video clips together.

Theres alotta other programs to capture ur video, but Fraps is simply the best.
    Remember aswell, when u record the Raw video files will be HUGE. For example u record 30 secs in game, and it'll be a 4-600mb's file. Thats why we need to Compress =)

Compression.

Myself I'm a user of Vegas Video, so thats what I'll cover here. The settings for xvid do look the same in any program, so you should be able to figure it out anyway.

This is how your vegas project settings should look. The stuff encircled in red is whats important.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/6...ettings1jf.gif
    Resolution can vary of course. 640x512 is half 1280x1024 which is what most people record at, but set it to whatever your footage is.

Frame rate should be 30 - this is pretty much the limit for what the human eye can notice, and most computers dont record at much more than 30 fps anyway.

Leave Field Order at "None (Progressive scan)". For gods sake, do NOT set this to anything else unless you really know what youre doing - It sucks to watch interlaced movies imho :/

Pixel aspect ratio is 1.0 for normal computer monitors so that should work for most people.

Now, for the actual encoding. WMV, the easiest one by far, comes first, while XVID comes second.

Encoding with WMV (or: The easy way)
    Choose this instead of AVI:
    http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/411/choosewmv7nx.gif
    Press "Custom...", make sure the quality on the first tab is set to "Best", then head on to the "Audio" tab:
    http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1447/wmvaudio4uh.gif
    Use these settings, it should be good enough for anything pretty much.

Move to the video tab, and:
    http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2923/wmvideo1ml.gif

The stuff in red are the important ones.

Set these the same as your project.

The average bit rate looks a bit differently than the XviD one. 2 M means 2 mbit, you could type 2000 K if youd like that better (2000 kbit, the same as xvid uses).

Note that this box uses bit per second if you just type in a value, while xvid uses kbit per second by default. So DONT forget your "M" or "K" after there. 2-3 M is good quality. Over 3 M is overkill.

The remaining two tabs aren't terribly interesting, so just leave them. Then just save your movie.

Encoding with XviD (or: "The-damn-tricky-but-produces-the-best-results-method")

First of all, you need to download and install the codec from www.koepi.org.

Now, go File -> Render as...

This is what you should see: http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/6...ooseavi0xl.gif
    Choose .AVI from the list and press the "Custom..." button.

First tab, set Video Rendering Quality to "Best" if it isn't already.

Second tab is where its interesting.

The important stuff is marked, again, with red.
    http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/794...ettings6pm.gif
    Set these exactly the way you set your project settings, then hit "Configure."

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/9...irstbox1fg.gif
    The interesting stuff is marked in red - everything else is fine and should be left as is.

First, set the dropdown box to "Twopass - 1st pass".

Set the top dropdown box to "Unrestricted"

Press the "More..." button at the top.

This is what you shall find. The two other tabs are cool, so just care about this one. http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1...config27cu.gif

Profile @ level has to do with xvid restricting certain options for compability with hardware players etc. We dont give a damn since we're gonna play it on a computer anyway, unrestricted is good.

Quantization type has to do with how xvid puts things together. H.263 is one of the previously mentioned substandards of MPEG-4 and it should be left at that.

Adaptive Quantization is a feature that tries to remove bits from big areas filled with one color where the human eye won't notice it, and add them at places where they are more needed. However nice this may sound, it's a highly experimental feature and tends to make your movie look "blocky". I recommend leaving this off.

Interlaced Encoding is to be left OFF. OFF OFF OFF. This is what you set before in Project Settings. Progressive is just tons better than interlaced.

Quarter Pixel is another feature that *may* improve your video quality slightly depending on what it contains. What it will most likely do is degrade the quality however, so leave it off.

Global Motion Compensation adds some support for when the whole picture moves in a direction, this saves bits for your movie and it's good to have on.

B-VOPs should be left on if you want good quality. A B-VOP is a frame which takes info from both the frame behind and the frame infront to make up its content. The example I posted above would most likely turn out as a B-VOP (or a b-frame) since there is little changing in it.

The max consecutive BVOPs, quantizer ratio and quantizer offset should be left as they are. Packed bitstream is recommended to be checked as well.

Now, press OK and go into "Advanced Options..."
    http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/399...config39np.gif

Motion search precision should be set to "6 - Ultra High", VHQ mode to 4 - Wide Search. These settings are the slowest, but produce the best looking movies, so those are the settings I recommend you use.

Use VHQ for bframes too should be checked, as well as Use Chroma Motion, two features that will increase the looks of your movie at the cost of some encoding speed.

Turbo Wink disables some stuff in the encoding process - it will go faster, but it can theoretically degrade your image - you should leave it off and just wait the few extra minutes this could've shaved off for you.

Frame drop ratio MUST be at 0, otherwise it will skip some frames and not encode all of it - screwing up your movie nicely.

Maximum I-frame interval should be around 10x your framerate, so leave as is.

Next tab:
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/9...config44uq.gif

A quantizer is basically a quality setting. Each frame is assigned a quantizer, where 1 is the highest, and 31 is the lowest.

You want all "Max something-frame quantizer"-s to be at 2. 1 is indeed highest quality, BUT - it's a LOT larger in physical size, but produces an image almost identical to one which uses quantizer 2. In the end having frames with quantizer 1 will probably just end up lowering the quality of your movie since they steal bits so nicely.

So. All max quantizers at 2 and all min quantizers at 31.

Check Trellis quantization too, it's advanced and gives you better quality.

Press ok.

Save the movie.

When its done, do it all over, except change xvid to "Twopass - 2nd pass" and set the bitrate somewhere between 2000-3000. Higher than 3000 is overkill in any case.

Save it again.

And there ya go. Your movie is now complete =)

Thanks to the warcraft movie makers for help to make this Guide.
    We're all gone again ;p

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=445035 - Some info regarding Movie Making =)

Just to be a little pedantic, then the human eye can easily notice the difference between 30 frames pr second and 200 frames per second 30 is just where stuff starts to be pretty fluent so works well for compression
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    Just to be a little pedantic, then the human eye can easily notice the difference between 30 frames pr second and 200 frames per second 30 is just where stuff starts to be pretty fluent so works well for compression
    You actually have less things to do during the afternoon then me ?

I am amazed, but at the same time scared.
    Last edited by Tiamin; May 11th, 2006 at 14:52:52.
    Biggest lie of the century

Quote Originally Posted by Mavritanic View Post
    Make clan PvP zerg-bot is destroy pvp-action in AO.

Tnx!

"A persons eyes can technically only see 24 frames per second scientifically speaking. The origional cartoon movies were made like this when the first came out at the turn of the century, however they eventually went to less frames due to the amount of effort it took to draw 24 pictures for every second. Today's standard is 30 frames per second though, which makes it so smooth the human eye cant even notice a difference."

!!11!!
    We're all gone again ;p

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=445035 - Some info regarding Movie Making =)

Quote Originally Posted by Baila
    "A persons eyes can technically only see 24 frames per second scientifically speaking. The origional cartoon movies were made like this when the first came out at the turn of the century, however they eventually went to less frames due to the amount of effort it took to draw 24 pictures for every second. Today's standard is 30 frames per second though, which makes it so smooth the human eye cant even notice a difference."

!!11!!
    Sorry, it's not true clicky also here where some test shows that a human being can probably register a burst of light lasting 1/500th of a second...
    Last edited by Mastablasta; May 11th, 2006 at 11:07:30.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Fine!!! lol
    /surrender
    We're all gone again ;p

WoW nice thread make it stiky

bump for sticky in the err... pvp forums?, really a nice little guide.

Fine!!! lol
    /surrender
    yay I win!

Nice guide tho
    The Red Brotherhood

!!11!!
    Try this:
    1. Look at a wall and hold your hand in front of your face
    2. Wave your hand back and forth as fast as you can, notice the blur
    3. Open up notepad(or anything to make the screen white), look at your monitor and hold your hand in front of your face
    4. Wave your hand back and forth as fast as you can. See the difference?

Even when your monitor is refreshing at 100hz, your eyes can notice the difference. As the article Masta posted stated, it would take about 500hz to make everything appear perfectly smooth to your eyes.
    Youtube
    Twitch

AO
    Rakhabit 220/20 Agent FINALLY
    Halfempty 220/16 Engineer/Evade Negator
    Primatene 168/20 Original Doc Twink

TSW
    Myyah "Read" Hawwa
    Shadow Dominion
    Cerberus

bump this thread,

on the second thought im just farming post count

bump for postfarm
    Chemical "Domman" Ecstasy - 22022 Martial Artist of Spartans.
    Humpage "Archsavior" Heals - 21815 Inherited Doctor
    Stupid "Domm02" Trox - 16422 Enforcer

You can't postcount farm in Life on Atlantean... It's disabled.
    ¤ League of Legends - 68WM1 ¤

My PvP policy: If you can't beat 'em, annoy 'em!

Thank you professor!! Sticky please!!!

Cred to the man who introduced fraps to AO and makes the coolest vids.

//Bellmeister
    Veteran of Ragnarok
    Agent Frank "Bellorofon" Sinatra
    Like O´l blue eyes "I do things my way"
    PvP vids is pwnage!

I've always wanted to do something with Anarchy Online that was Machinima related.

But recording wasn't really ever the problem, it's always finding people.

BTW professional Quake/CS etc players don't even bother to play if they don't have 150-200 FPS

A really nice guide!
    I know it was long time ago it was written, I didnt understood one part thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Majkah View Post
    When its done, do it all over, except change xvid to "Twopass - 2nd pass" and set the bitrate somewhere between 2000-3000. Higher than 3000 is overkill in any case.

Save it again.
    Im not entierly sure what it is ment to do here, I get some errors when i try this. Either when rendering the project allover omto same name or when getting the movie into the progrm and try to do same process but with that setting. Can anyone enlight me?

x264 > xvid. Saves space and produces higher PQ.
    Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with...

My pvp stats: Duel wins: 945 / losses: 368 - Solo kills: 5632 / team: 7511

My org mate: Solo kills: 24 933 / Team: 683

Human limit frame rate not 30 - 24 FPS. 20 FPS good for decrease megabytes.
    The Clan Messiah statement
    You hit Nirvelle with nanobots for 7110365 points of radiation damage.
    Alternity: I never initiated a serious dialog

"... who are you, then?"
    "I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good" (c) Goethe

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\| ||\____
    |.............Vodka-Vodka..........| ||','''|'''''''\____,
    |_______..... _________________| ||__|'__|_____||<
    '''''(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''**|(@)(@)******| (@)*

edit:

aww. trolled. And I was all excited that Tiamin was back!

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast