Thread: ATI 6.10 Fixes AO corruption (apparently)

ATI 6.10 Fixes AO corruption (apparently)

Issues Resolved in Catalyst® Software Suite 6.10

Anarchy-Online: Screen corruption is no longer noticed when walking or running through the terrain. Further details can be found in topic number 737-22016
    Personally I never had this problem. I wonder if the latest AO patch changing the way some things are rendered fixed the issue and thus ATI consider if "fixed" .

Or now that they finally fixed this issue.... it breaks the new AO patch on ATI cards lol.

The last two patches seemed to have significantly reduced the issues for me, especially 16.4.1. Actually, I don't remember getting them at all the last time when I played for several hours, whereas previously it took only like 5 steps on any playfield for the flicker-show to begin.

Thanks for the heads-up. Whatever the reason, I'll be glad if it's really gone and for good. A year is a long time, afterall...

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Wait, does this mean that the problem is FIXED, not like any workaround from FC's side is needed anymore? So all radeons will work now? whoa!
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."
    I am Luciesa - Octowuss - Ssupotco

still addicted since 2001-07-03 11:55:38

737-22016: Anarchy-Online: Screen Corruption while walking through terrain with Radeon X1300 series

The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):

* Anarchy-Online
    * Radeon X1300 series
    * Windows XP Professional / Home Edition

Screen corruption may be noticed when walking or running through the terrain

Currently, there is no work around for this issue.

ATI Engineering has been advised of this issue and is investigating. Any updates will be published when they become available.

This is a copy of the article the statement the OP posted refers to, so I imagine that is the only series of card it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamasha View Post
    This is a copy of the article the statement the OP posted refers to, so I imagine that is the only series of card it fixed.
    I wouldn't think so. The original incident report back several months ago was also mentioning only the x1300 series, but oddly enough, that's one of the cards which seemed to be the less affected (looking at that page more thoroughly, that's actually the original incident report, not updated ever since).
    In fact, the 9X00 and x800 series seemed to suffer the most from this.

And there are a couple of things that would hint at that it was actually not the drivers.
    In the very little feedback we got about half a year ago, it was mentioned that it looked like some conflict between the ATi drivers and DirectX7, and that folks from MS are also looking into it. Not too long ago (1-2 months at most) someone posted here that this is now also listed as a driver issue in the nVidia driver notes (and indeed, the issue was affecting some nV cards aswell); I didn't verify this tho.
    When I've reinstalled my system a few weeks ago, I've also installed the latest version of a periodical DirectX update (which I didn't know about until then) from the MS site, which seem to have reduced the issues somewhat. And now, about the same time as the 16.4.1 patch was rolled out, I've once again installed the latest DirectX update (10/10/2006), and I've been getting significantly less of this ever since (virtually gone). So it's hard to tell if it was something in the 16.4.x patches, or those DirectX updates, but since I've not yet installed the 6.10 drivers, if there's also some fix in there, it sure wasn't the thing that made AO behave better on my system.

What did improve my situation before this fix report came out at all was either the latest DirectX update, or the AO patches, or both.

-----

Update:
    Well, virtually gone is a bit of an exaggeration. Let's just say, it's noticeably less frequent than it was before the latest AO patches and the Dx updates, and seems to stop after a few minutes spent on the playfield.
    Going to install the 6.10 drivers shortly and see what happens.
    Last edited by Honorbound; Nov 1st, 2006 at 10:58:01.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."

where are you getting the dx updates? link please
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."
    I am Luciesa - Octowuss - Ssupotco

still addicted since 2001-07-03 11:55:38

Bi-monthly DirectX updates

They don't go into specifics about what's fixed/improved/modified since the last update, but it did replace a few files both times I've installed the latest one up to that date.

As I've expected...

Radeon 9600 Pro + Catalyst 6.10 = no change

Oh, well, at least it didn't get worse for me, the flickering still seems to stop after a few minutes spent on the playfield.

For further details, see my sig. *shrug*

Sapphire 9600XT 128MB + catalyst 6.10 : less flash than i had in the past when i test some older catalyst version but they still exist. I lost 5 FPS too in comparaison of omega driver 4.12
    Igoros, Adventurer
    Igoroc, Enforcer
    Igorus, Keeper
    Igorac, Doctor
    Igoras, Fixer
    Igoris, Soldier
    President of Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Honorbound View Post
    Radeon 9600 Pro + Catalyst 6.10 = no change

Oh, well, at least it didn't get worse for me, the flickering still seems to stop after a few minutes spent on the playfield.

For further details, see my sig. *shrug*
    Man... I was SO excited when I read this topic... I was hoping this might fix all the problems with my Radeon. But, you just killed my hope and disappointed me... Chalk one point up for your sig...

I found a solution to the performance drop and corruption issues for most radeon users a long time ago. Those that tryed this it worked for >>

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...ght=ati+driver

Not for me. Had even more issues with that than with the official drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Executi View Post
    I found a solution to the performance drop and corruption issues for most radeon users a long time ago. Those that tryed this it worked for >>

I tried your suggestion and instead all I got was a COMPLETELY broken AO. I logged in and I was standing on a tiny patch of ground with absolutely nothing around me. Walking around remedied the problem slightly (it went back to the ground glitching all the time).

I'm now installing the new catalyst drivers to see if perhaps they'll boost my performance any. I've tried 3 sets of Omega drivers and those drivers up there, so this is more or less my last chance to get AO to work. If it won't, I'll have to wait for FC/ATI to do something in order to play.

Tried them again myself, i had the issue to. seems something changed in ao since i was last here
    Strange thing for me is the 6.9's are working just fine on hwt+l

Quote Originally Posted by Executi View Post

I tried it and all is worse.
    Back to omega driver 2.5.97a
    Igoros, Adventurer
    Igoroc, Enforcer
    Igorus, Keeper
    Igorac, Doctor
    Igoras, Fixer
    Igoris, Soldier
    President of Phoenix