Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Feedback: FPS issue (post 16.4.2)

Official Feedback: FPS issue (post 16.4.2)

The 16.4.2 update seems to have resolved the issues for some users but not for others. In order for us to take any further look it will be important to see the specifications, and in particular the graphics drivers / hardware you have.

Please stick to 'copy and paste' of this format where possible for replies on this thread.

---------------------------------------

Character Name:
    Level:
    PC Specifications: <insert speed and RAM of PC>
    Video Card: <insert make and model>
    Video Drivers and version: <insert name and version of current video drivers>

Have you tried upgrading your video drivers? Yes / No
    Have you tried re-installing AO? Yes / No

Description: <describe in as much detail as possible what you were doing when the problem occured>
    Location: <insert location, with Shift-F9 report if possible>

Please be as specific as possible with describing the problem encountered and what was happening when you experienced it. Please include if possible when you last updated your video card drivers

Thank you for your reports and the guys are working hard to look into these issues.

Please note threads not in the above format or off topic will be removed. This thread is for the coders to build up a clear picture of what kind of hardware the users effected by these issues are running.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

PC Specifications: AMD 64 X2 4200, 2Gb
    Video Card: NVidia GF7800GT, 256Mb
    Video Drivers and version: NVidia ForceWare 81.98

Have you tried upgrading your video drivers? No
    Have you tried re-installing AO? No

Description: Sitting on a roof
    Location: in 20K, on a roof, looking south to the city cluster

16.4.1 fps was ~12.5
    16.4.2 fps was ~14.5
    Disabling compressed textures may have netted a further 0.5

I can get the fps to drop back down to about 12 if I zoom right out, but that is better than the sub 10 I got in 16.4.1.

So some improvement at least (and that spot was never very good, though I'm pretty sure I was a little faster there before 16.4 but don't have numbers to back that up).

My performance feels almost where it was, but I think we were expecting a bit more with this patch. That said, performance in some areas is better for me (player crowds definitely are handled better).

A bit more work still needed I think, and do give consideration to reworking the graphics of the player city buildings a bit to reduce poly count somewhat (make more use of textures maybe?) and/or add low poly distance models as they seem to be the main problem on Rubi-Ka at least.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Just a copy paste of my previous post. This is where I have the problems. I also have very bad performance when looking at player cities like everyone else. Those are too much of a performance hog, and always have been, but they're worse now. Please consider doing some kind of LOD work on them.

Character Name: Mastablasta
    Level: 220/AI26
    PC Specifications: AMD X2 4200+ 2585mhz, 2 gigabyte PC3200 RAM, nForce4 SLIx32 motherboard
    Video Card: Asus Geforce 7900GT
    Video Drivers and version: Forceware 96.89
    Description:Hunting in Penumbra catacombs. I believe I had almost just logged in and headed there to farm some items. Prior to being at the location below I had calmed all the mobs in my way to get there. All standard stuff, I've never had this bad framerate problems before.

Looking north from that location gives me 15 frames per second. I used to have 50. Looking south increases framerate to 60.

Also moving through the door just before entering this area caused my client to basically freeze for several seconds, something that it never did before.

Pos: 227.5, 68.1, 22.0, Area: Area. UTC: Thu Oct 26 15:35:44 2006
    Suppression field at 75 Wildlife may attack you.
    Pos: 227.5,68.1,22.0, PF: 3596514
    227.5 68.1 y 22.0 3596514
    Zone: 4, Area: Area, CharID: 50000:779290238
    ServerID: 3035 UTC: Thu Oct 26 15:35:45 2006
    51102:4223/0/3221230100/40016:3596514
    Suppression field at 75%. Wildlife may attack you.
    Version: 16.4.0_EP1. MapID: 16.4.0.8_25.10.2006_14.12.11
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Character Name: Ethawn
    Level: 192
    PC Specifications: AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8Ghz 1GB Corsair PC3200 Asus Nforce3 250 Motherboard
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 9200SE 128MB
    Video Drivers and version: Catalyst 8.252.0.0

Have you tried upgrading your video drivers? Yes, have newest available.
    Have you tried re-installing AO? Yes, several times.

Description: I really can't be very descriptive with this seeing as the problem is so prevalent. Its easier for me to say where the low framerates don't happen. In RK missions. Everywhere else (with special emphasis on SL, Player Cities and outdoors on RK) is virtually unplayable. Less than 10 fps, unless of course I'm in an RK mission, then I get 30-40 fps.
    Location: I would put the Shift+f9 info here...but it would be really really long given the sheer amount of areas that I see the problem in.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbane View Post
    A bit more work still needed I think, and do give consideration to reworking the graphics of the player city buildings a bit to reduce poly count somewhat (make more use of textures maybe?) and/or add low poly distance models as they seem to be the main problem on Rubi-Ka at least.
    Just very briefly, as I'm off-ish here with this.
    When looking at AI building groups, subtle changes in the viewing angle or distance can noticeably impact performance. Moving just 5 steps away or closer, turning a little bit left or right but still looking at the very same buildings can make FPS suddenly drop to half or get doubled. It has always been like this, and I've tried many times to identify which building, or which parts of buildings are causing this, but the cause is not that simple.

There seems to be something off with how those buildings are rendered when they're occluding one another, and when certain buildings are visible at the same time (not the number, but the type of buldings make the difference).

Plus, I still found spots where cities completely behind other geometry still kill the framerate as if they were fully visible.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

lol yall are talking FPS like quarter mile times lol!

dood i just ran a 16 FPS!

pshhh thats nothing my SLI just did a 20!!!

yeh i added that new cooler and i got 5 more FPS!

pshhh i put this cool "overclocked" sticker on the side of my case and it was like 20 FPS im not lying!

Quote Originally Posted by legionofone View Post
    pshhh i put this cool "overclocked" sticker on the side of my case and it was like 20 FPS im not lying!
    Two questions:

Where can I buy this sticker?

Will I see a further improvement if I use more than one?

AO Universe - By Players, For Players! Gameplay/Quests/Locations Guides, News, Articles, Columns, AO Launcher Skins, Wallpapers, Maps, Utilities, Friendly Forums and the #1 Roleplaying Source for the community!

Their superior technology is no match for our puny weapons!!!!

Lightbulb fps problems gone

I noticed one thing after getting rid of my FPS drop problems.

=> I could see realistic clouds, never knew what the option was for because I simply could not see them.

Also I fixed the problem at a friends place by uninstalling the old AMD-AGP update (2002 or something - installed under Settings/Software)

Hope this helps,
    sPy

Character Name: Shanida
    Level: 217
    PC Specifications: Athlon XP 2100+, 1Gb DDR RAM
    Video Card: ATi Radeon 9600
    Video Drivers and version: Forsage 5.6 (Catalyst 5.6 repack)

Have you tried upgrading your video drivers? Yes, to latest official ATi drivers, works better in other games, but ~5 FPS slower in AO.
    Have you tried re-installing AO? No

Description: It annoys me alot. 5-10 FPS at troublesome places (nearly 80% of game areas)
    Location: Same as Ethawn mentioned - AI cities, almost everywhere in SL, almost everywhere at RK outdoors. For example the more AI building I can see infront of me, the less FPS I got.

Shanida :: 220/23 Ranged Adventurer :: Omni :: RK1 :: Night Watch

This should be resiolved now, if you are still having issues make sure you include the following information in addition:

Have you tried switching off 'show others effects' in the enviornment -> effects menu: Yes / No
    Have you tried switching off 'smooth animations' in the enviornment -> effects menu: Yes / No
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

I had no FPS issues at all after the patch, but the way it can take up to a minute for all the models and textures in a zone to load is rather annoying.

Isn't there some way to set a slider for this? I wouldn't mind a little FPS drop if it meant I could run into Borealis and actually see the city I was running around.
    Uni "Unixint80" Idoru, 206/13 Neutral NT Veteran of Shattered Dreams
    What I've Got My Perk Setup My Nuke Setup (All slightly outdated)

FREE BOREALIS!!!

I have updated to 16.4.3 and am still having problems. Here's my info (again):

Character Name: Fossor

Level: 138/11

PC Specifications:

- Windows XP
    - Intel P4A 2700 MHz
    - 1024 MB DDR SDRAM
    - MSI 865PE Neo2-S Mobo (with Intel Springdale i865PE chipset)
    - Maxtor 80GB 7200 RPM Ultra-ATA/133 HDD (AO Installed Here)
    - Maxtor 160GB 7200 RPM Ultra-ATA/133 HDD (2.5 GB Swapfile Here)

Video Card: ATi Radeon 9600 128 MB VRAM

Video Drivers and Version: Omega 3.8.252 Drivers

Updated Video Drivers: Omega 3.8.291 Drivers - I've updated them, and it's fixed the fps problem...on the fps counter, that is. I'm now getting what has to be about 3-4 fps everywhere. This is making the game completely unplayable, without a doubt. It's to the point that my character no longer walks - it teleports every couple seconds.

Times AO Reinstalled: Twice now, with a detrimental effect (lost 2-3 fps on first reinstall, no change with second).

Description: Again, it's not when I'm doing anything really...it's a total nerf in framerate. There are also other problems that haven't been remedied, including (but not limited to):

- Freeze for 10-15 seconds while looking towards (not even at, towards) an AI city.
    - Skill screen (the 'u' key) freezing game for 5-10 seconds when framerate is low (less when framerate is higher, but still a problem).
    - Team windows are still bugged. If you join a team that's in SL while in RK, your team window will not update. In addition, the team leader will NEVER be green upon joining, unless the team leader changes while you're in the team (it will then update normally).
    - Excessive amounts of buffing on-screen at once will cause the game to slow down to 1-2 fps, or freeze completely. I'm assuming this was why we were to turn off "show others effects". The problem, however, is still not fixed in 16.4.3.
    - Zoning still takes 2-3 times longer than it did pre-patch (could be a server-side issue and not a client-side issue, but I'm not sure).
    - ATI cards still have all the same bugs with the ground disappearing randomly and the entire game (including GUI) unskinning itself randomly (in my case, it does it every time I zone as well and stays like that for 5-30 seconds randomly).
    - Hitting the 'p' key multiple times in quick succession is an insta-crash key for my game (I'll try redoing my maps again, though, as this could be a client-side thing I can fix).
    - The garden saving animation stuns you instead of playing normally.

If there are any more that I missed, I apologize and will update this list later as I find them/remember them. Please remember again that it's sort of hard for me to notice bugs and glitches when my average framerate is 8-10 (down to 5-10 in SL). Also remember that my framerate used to be marvelous before the patch (25-30 in uninhabited areas with little foliage, 15-20 in heavily populated areas with lots of foliage/other objects).

Settings: Both are off at the moment, but having them on doesn't change my framerate in the slightest.

EDIT: I have updated my drivers, so I've changed the information above to reflect that. Also, I'm not one to threaten FC with 'losing a valuable paying customer' or anything like that, but if I can't play by the time my account runs out, I don't see a reason for paying any longer... I REALLY love AO and everything, but I can't justify spending more money on something that just plain won't work (or, in this case, could work if I made another unnecessary $1200 investment in a new computer). It's not happening.
    Last edited by Icthyomyzon; Nov 4th, 2006 at 00:47:38.

I updated my graphics driver today to the latest WHQL certified forceware driver, 93.71, no change.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Definite improvement seen in fps since the 16.4.3 patch, but this isn't across the board. Very good in some areas and marginal in others - AI cities being the best example here. Did a raid for the first time since the fps issues before Halloween and fps was very poor. I didn't get a chance to quantify this, but it must have droppped to very low single figures, comparing performance to previous week.

Things felt a little "freer" in the city environment and I recall the fps going into double figures at certain locations, but as soon as the aliens started pouring out of the landing craft the fps dropped drastically, making gameplay difficult to say the least. Trying to fix the mouse targetting icon on a target was next to impossible. Having made it on board the ship, I think everyone noticed a slight improvement in fps, until facing large volumes of aliens, once again.

Although fps seems better here, OA "lag/texture load/unload" seems much the same as before the patches. I've reduced the view distance ingame and I was wondering if this is part of the problem - with the engine having to redraw structures constantly (or maybe I'm not understanding this correctly - not a computer/graphics expert here ).

My PC is a bit of an old clunker and I'm using a GeForce Ti 4400, 128M with 512M of PC RAM. I defragged the hard-drive over the weekend and I installed the latest Nvidia drivers yesterday. Haven't had much of a chance to assess the performance since Sunday.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! Gameplay/Quests/Locations Guides, News, Articles, Columns, AO Launcher Skins, Wallpapers, Maps, Utilities, Friendly Forums and the #1 Roleplaying Source for the community!

You shouldn't install latest drivers from nvidia, I think there's several thread about it already. Best it to test several drivers and see which one is best for you. Try the 44.03 Omega drivers, they work well on my 2nd computer with a 4200.
    blah

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    You shouldn't install latest drivers from nvidia, I think there's several thread about it already. Best it to test several drivers and see which one is best for you. Try the 44.03 Omega drivers, they work well on my 2nd computer with a 4200.
    I reverted to older drivers last weekend (not sure which rev., can't remember. I'm at work at the moment), having tried a couple of different sets, to no great avail. Might try the ones you mentioned to see if there is any improvement.

I'm pretty sure at this stage that any graphics issues in my case can be traced back to the age of my PC. Although it can handle AO in general terms, the recent patches have turned graphics management into a bit of a handful, extending beyond anything that the video card is capable of. If things can't be improved or if LE further compromises the situation, I suppose I'll have to consider cancelling the accounts (as I have no plans to buy a new PC), but I won't lose any sleep over it

This thread title, to me, is a bit "off"

I'm not worried about overall FPS, but this doorlag in SL missions and city lag in AI cities, which was FAR worse after 16.4 and is still much worse than pre 16.4 in 16.4.4 has not only made my gf stop playing, but has made me pretty much unwilling to grind in SL or AI.

I'm posting this even though you have -detailed- records of my problems. For 2 reasons:

1) To report a slight improvement for -me- (Nvidia 6800 GT/AMD Opteron) in 16.4.4 but either same ol' same ol' or -worse- for my gf (Radeon 9500/AMD Athlon).

2) To state unequivocally that I'm NOT going to keep reporting this. If you don't hear from me and others do NOT take it as "oh, it must have worked". We will tell you if you FIX it, otherwise assume we're just fed up and not going to bother anymore.

BTW, you have a few months to fix it, if its still going, I know a few people not renewing their sub. That includes both my accounts and probably my gf's. As well as any number I've spoken to in-game. I think this time you've finally figured out how to get rid of us
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

Ok for the last 4 patches everything has progressively gotten worse...

I posted before Halloween and now guys I just cannot play....SL is worse -Gardens are unmoveable...1-2 fps best i get is 11 fps if I am lookin out into nothing...

I have tried changing settings ingame and I KNOW For a FACT that my drivers...memory...video card...mb...everything is operating effectively...I have run and gone thru everything...even uninstalled and reinstalled ao...

My system is NOT the greatests and Yes I know its just adequate but before these patches I could run I could play this game and I just cant now...

System Specs...
    MotherBoard - ECS K8T890-A (Elitegroup)
    Chip - AMD 64
    Memory - 2 -512mb EP DDR sticks -Patriot sticks both of them ((PC3200 400 MHz Eased Latency))
    Video Card - 128mb (Saffire) ATI Radeon 9500 Series (latest ATI driver)
    Hard Drive - Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB Hard Drive
    (PATA-133, 7,200RPM,16MB - MPN: 6L250R0
    Slave Drive - Western Digital - WDC WD400BB-53DEA0 -/05.03E05> [77545/16/63]
    Windows XP-Pro
    Direct Xc

I have not pre-ordered LE and I am suppose to get my acct updated mid December...I WANT to play...but if this cant be resolved without me having to go buy a new card or more memory then Im out. I Did not have these issues by far before those patches...help please....

Toons - 220 doc, 216 engi, 159 nt, 134 advy and numerous others
    Last edited by Hexy; Nov 19th, 2006 at 06:31:43.

All my issues with the low FPS in catacombs seem to have gone away with 16.4.4. Or at least been improved so much that I no longer notice it. Same is true for elsewhere, tho I'm not sure I like the faster zoning... I kinda prefer having everything drawn when I can move around.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Nov 19th, 2006 at 22:33:47.
    The Red Brotherhood

still lower fps outside especially near AI cities, its better than right after 16.4 tho. Setting view distance lower helps a lot, with view distance at 50% its close to what it was before 16.4 patch. Doorlag is annoying, FPS in mish are pretty decent but i got effects mostly switched off now, except nano effects.
    AMD 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon1600pro 256MB

upgraded video drivers: yes, no difference

reinstalled ao: no

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast