Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: procs - some food for thought

procs - some food for thought

right now if you have multiple dot procs and buffs that will proc damage, you can keep those up without dealing normal dmg to your target, since they will proc off each other.

you can on top of those use rk items that will dot your target.

silirrion says that it's working as intended.

procs keeping each other alive ...

- discuss
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaroba View Post
    well looks like all our defense went out the window lal! .. dont worry we got heals .. uhm =)
    Quote Originally Posted by FixerPorta View Post
    Welcome to Alpha Online, where even the camera is now trying to backstab you.
    a few things broken in 17.2

irony at its best:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Quick! Call the Waaaaaaaaahmbulance! We have an emergency!

PvP just got balanced and people cry

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkstaah View Post
    You hit Enkindled Spirit for 1756 points of poison damage.
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 200 points of poison damage.
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 1133 points of projectile damage.
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 136 points of melee damage.
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 215 points of melee damage.
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 431 points of poison damage.
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 1500 points of fire damage.
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 500 points of fire damage.
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 211 points of poison damage.

Nuff said...

also procs that have chances of activate when you hit (offensive procs) now can activate when you hit, and when you are hit if you have reflects, and again if you have damage shield, i dunno if i got this wrong but do all procs now activate when hitting and also when hit? add DoT ticks, reflects, damage shields, proc damage and your actual attacks and the procs, that were intended to be something that activated at a random event, and not on demand (and thus some that are very powerfull can't be considered overpowered, as theres no way to turn them on whenever you want) suddenly have some 5 times better chances to activate, and offensive and defensive procs can activate on both attacking and being attacked, provided the target and attacker have any sort of retaliatory damage, lol i find it a bit insane, just want to know if it's intended or not, also some proc actions migth become too powerfull with such an increased rate of chances to activate.

We have said very clearly that 'self' damage from dots is not intended to give a chance to proc and that will be looked at. Any Direct Damage though does bring with it a chance of a proc, that includes damage shields as the damage does come from you.
    Last edited by Silirrion; Mar 17th, 2007 at 18:50:08.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

except that we're not talking about self damage here. we're talking about damage you deal to your enemy which is not directly triggered by yourself.

- proc damage isnt triggered by you directly.

- damage shield isnt triggered by you directly. ( even tho damage shields weren't part of the topic)

right now procs proc so often that you could actually say theyre triggered by you directly.
    well looks like all our defense went out the window lal! .. dont worry we got heals .. uhm =)

irony at its best:

Quote Originally Posted by Doron View Post
    except that we're not talking about self damage here. we're talking about damage you deal to your enemy which is not directly triggered by yourself.

- proc damage isnt triggered by you directly.

- damage shield isnt triggered by you directly. ( even tho damage shields weren't part of the topic)

right now procs proc so often that you could actually say theyre triggered by you directly.
    It's still damage from you to your target though, and as such carries with it a % chance for the proc to fire.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

yes then you say that this is intended:

Originally Posted by Kinkstaah View Post
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 215 points of melee damage.
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 431 points of poison damage.
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 1500 points of fire damage.
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 500 points of fire damage.
    You hit Enkindled Spirit with nanobots for 211 points of poison damage.

procs proccing of each other. the possibility of lowhp ppl dying on a single as. the possibility of being stunned forever just by having a dot critter used on you. stuff like that.

irony at its best:

Quote Originally Posted by Doron View Post
    yes then you say that this is intended:

Originally Posted by Kinkstaah View Post
    damage spam

procs proccing of each other. the possibility of lowhp ppl dying on a single as. the possibility of being stunned forever just by having a dot critter used on you. stuff like that.
    Actually this isn't proc proc'ing each other: this is only an Agent using one SL proc, a few perks, and triple-dotting a mob.
    Between 2 hits, i can see Toxic Shock, 2 Doc Dots and 1 Agent DoT, the Sickening Shock proc alone (there's no Waves of Sickening here), and a DoT which is probably Fire Frenzy, and the only LE DoT proc Agents have.
    Nothing spectacular here, and especially no self-sustaining procs. It's just that the previous bug prevented some of these very classic nanos from executing. This is indeed intended, because it's nothing more than fixing a three year old bug.
    Please don't take quotes like this out of context, this one is completely unrelated to the issue you're talking about.
    Last edited by Telperion; Mar 17th, 2007 at 20:53:37.
    Finalizer Telperion 220/22
    Manager Laurellyn 125/5

Member of First Light

[Account Cancelled]

Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    Nothing spectacular here, and especially no self-sustaining procs.
    this is not true. and i think you know it yourself. dmg procs procs. so dots proc procs as well so does a direct dmg proc. the funny thing is that i didn't even start this thread on behalf of the agent forum.

in fact i hadn't even seen that before phargus posted it. but problem still stands. you could use a nano critter to cast a dot on your target. and with a bit luck have your procs proc on him one after another and proccing each other after that without ever hitting it. that's what current mechanics allow right now. it's broken design.

another problem you can see with this is that the le procs don't even have any stacking lines. i think the result is pretty clear.

a 3 time dot proc does not proc instant 3 times. they usually have a delay of 1-5s. that means before the next tick you usually get multiple hits off.
    Last edited by Doron; Mar 17th, 2007 at 21:39:27.

irony at its best:

You may have picked up on an exploit early. Interesting idea, Doron.

Sounds like Proc envy to me.
    why Why WHY ?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    It's still damage from you to your target though, and as such carries with it a % chance for the proc to fire.
    That's true. However the new system treats each dot hit as a separate instance as far as procs are concerned even if the nano is only cast on the target once.

For this to be consistent each DoT hit would have to have it's own separate resist check and trigger the targets damage/reflect shield on every hit in turn giving the targets procs a chance to fire...

Edit: That's assuming dot's triggering procs are working as intended? I'ts still none to clear to me exactly what you mean by 'self' damage
    Last edited by Phargus; Mar 18th, 2007 at 06:53:14.

Lightbulb

Well i was fighting a soldier who threw up AMS shield while all my procs were running on him and he took down my hp so fast because i was getting hit by his reflect shield damage multiple times.

so its a gift and a curse.

atleast now enfs, advy and soldiers have an improved offence against agents (and other proc classes) because of thier high damage shields. gives damage shields and reflects a new purpose.
    Last edited by Ats; Mar 18th, 2007 at 10:45:12.
    R.I.P. AO
    Quote Originally Posted by quitter187 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ats View Post
    Well i was fighting a soldier who threw up AMS shield while all my procs were running on him and he took down my hp so fast because i was getting hit by his reflect shield damage multiple times.

so its a gift and a curse.

atleast now enfs, advy and soldiers have an improved offence against agents (and other proc classes) because of thier high damage shields. gives damage shields and reflects a new purpose.
    Heh, unintended PvP balancing? It's AO getting sick of it all and balancing itself, I say (the hamsters have spoken).
    Xfinity, 150 Fixer - Atlantean

Proud member of The Red Brotherhood

I usually have procs firing off it self. Like accumulator.

Best i had was an instant quaduple hit.
    That means -2500ish nano instant to the target.

You hit Guard for 13000 points of Aimed Shot damage. First hit

You hit Guard for 1750 points of chemical damage. Second
    You hit Guard for 2084 points of Fling Shot damage. Third....

Proc 1: (Unexpected Bonus, wich triggers Accumulator)

You hit Guard with nanobots for 247 points of energy damage.
    You were healed for 172 points.

Proc 2 : Accumulator.

You hit Guard with nanobots for 624 points of melee damage.
    You drained 505 points of health from the target.
    You drained 505 points of nano from the target.
    (Unexpected Bonus inbetween!)
    You hit Guard with nanobots for 247 points of energy damage.
    You were healed for 172 points.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

Quote Originally Posted by Phargus View Post
    That's true. However the new system treats each dot hit as a separate instance as far as procs are concerned even if the nano is only cast on the target once.

For this to be consistent each DoT hit would have to have it's own separate resist check and trigger the targets damage/reflect shield on every hit in turn giving the targets procs a chance to fire...

Edit: That's assuming dot's triggering procs are working as intended? I'ts still none to clear to me exactly what you mean by 'self' damage
    Every time your DoT tics it is new damage, casting a DoT is not a one time damage. If you have 5 DoT's running you are pretty much guaranteed to get your 2 porcs firing between rifle shots as it is ~1 in 5 chance to fire per damage dealt. Sometimes all the dots land and fire at the same time between shots and you get these massive damage logs which people have posted, but it's not between EVERY shot. people jts seem to be posting the biggest ones as the worst case scenarios, what they are not posting is that there are times when no procs fire between rifle shots, so people are getting the impression that every shot land 5-6 DoTs and 5-6 Procs damage, and that simply isn't the case.

What they mean by self damage is if you cast the DoT on yourself, the procs are firing on YOU(the target the DoT is hitting) and that is the part that is not intended.
    why Why WHY ?!?!?!

Or by self damage does Sil mean when you cast a dot on someone they are attacked with nanobots from themselves:

You cast a dot on a victim, victim gets damage messages saying
    'Victim1 was attacked with nanobots by Victim1 for ....'

Which could lead to your own procs firing against you so thats why they are not supposed to fire on self damage.

Or it could be something else completely heheh.
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

Quote Originally Posted by AgentGimpy View Post
    Every time your DoT tics it is new damage, casting a DoT is not a one time damage. If you have 5 DoT's running you are pretty much guaranteed to get your 2 porcs firing between rifle shots as it is ~1 in 5 chance to fire per damage dealt. Sometimes all the dots land and fire at the same time between shots and you get these massive damage logs which people have posted, but it's not between EVERY shot. people jts seem to be posting the biggest ones as the worst case scenarios, what they are not posting is that there are times when no procs fire between rifle shots, so people are getting the impression that every shot land 5-6 DoTs and 5-6 Procs damage, and that simply isn't the case.

What they mean by self damage is if you cast the DoT on yourself, the procs are firing on YOU(the target the DoT is hitting) and that is the part that is not intended.
    Basically Agentgimpy summed it up, totally agree with him

Quote Originally Posted by AgentGimpy View Post

Don't get me wrong, i'm not against the dot professions (Doc/Agent/Shade mainly) getting some love. But if this stays in game everyone with decent offensive procs will be spamming their targets with usables casting lowbie dots to increase the chance of getting procs on their target. Just seems like an obvious broken game mechanic to me...

How many profs have offensive procs (dunno about reaserch procs if they fire off) and lowbie dots? Keepers have some dmg proc , mainly shades and agents are winners from this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast