Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The old servers?

Cool The old servers?

Just a thought.

Old server (if they are still around). Classic aka fr00b content only with the organisation chat channels.

I would pay for that. (access to the server not an account upgrade "you are now trapped" thing)

I don't like the expansions they make the game too easy (in many ways) and just a longer search for cookie cutter items.

Would like character transfers for fr00b accounts but would be happy to restart.

(I bet a lot of people would pay to see me go to that server too.)

--------- to clarify:

fr00b != pre-SL

Exactly the same as the current servers except that the expansions, SL, AI and LE are disabled.
    So there is minimal coding.

Paid server that is expansion free.

(toss in a buy one get one free so I could let a friend in or have a buffing alts account and you have your first sales gimmick)

----------------------

Okay to be more clear

Leave Rimor and Atlantean, exactly as they are or merge them to increase the player density.

Seperately;

The old server is brought back online. Accounts page has an option added to pay for access to that server.

Expansion free server.
    No Shadowlands, no Hecks, no need to get more items when you have "finished" your toon. No laggy cities, (towers yes :>S as part of free content) no Fugly Lagfront shop.

Get to add a second account under yours so that a friend can join you or you have your alternative toons account.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrofiil View Post
    I bump the idea of making a pre-expansions server for paid customers. Maybe include NW. And bring back the old 25% areas

Perks are pretty much what ruined the creative end of equipping a weapon. Most got stuck with 1 type with good perks in it to be useful.
    Despite some flaming , there has been support for the idea from:
    • BIGMANFORCE
    • Eskarin
    • JPZ1987a
    • Ober
    • Nekrofiil
    • Ruffixx
    • Whatthehell
    • WaterBamsen
    • Vhab
    • Infamine
    • Amortia
    • Apothis1
    Last edited by Jenshie; Dec 29th, 2008 at 17:22:02.
    More Barbie instead of GI Joe game content, please!
    *Yngvild Lothe* ex AO quest designer -- "... So now you just want cheap thrills..." Classic server.
    Role Playing guide
    • Main account = Classic.

Phasefront can go jump in the ... oh wait it is already there!
    (Since openning, I have used the West Gate, Battle Station or NL grid point, twice).
    ALLNEUTS - always helping new players, regardless of faction.
    Neutral, can mean real freedom for you. ||| New year's resolution - stay off these forums. Hope you are happy now.
    Expansions don't enhance the game, they just extend it and make the beginning easier to catch up in order to race frantically at the "front"

Kahava - "... we had a civil community."

Hell, I'd go for it!!!
    since 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    FYI: Cola burns when it comes out your nose...I now know this because of you.

Hehe, could be fun.

Tho, would be painful for FC to sort out bugfixes and other important patches from the content patches

Just disallow expansions on account level for that server. Most would want the full client with the expansions anyway.

Well, for that to happen, you would have to discontinue the froob program, because, why would you pay for the base game when you already get it free?

Given that, why would you "pay" for a base game that is 6 years old with no improvements? You get the same level of difficulty as a froob on the current servers. The only difference is you have the extra resources of paid players assistance. There would not be enough converts to support the extra server running.

Maybe you think that having your own server would mean less camping of RK dynas or maybe pvp would be easier for froobs? Well:

1. RK dynas would be more heavily camped because all players on the basic server would be stuck with RK only.

2. People who play for PVP reasons tend to want the best gear. Those players have the "I want to be uber" mentality. You cannot be uber when your gun does min damage of 1.

So, in all fairness, I think this would be a bad idea, though at first glance not so much.

Really though, you get the "hard" gameplay of the basic game as a froob. Maybe you don't team as much, but that is because the game is dying. The population is scarce for both paid and free players. If you hate the paid players, maybe you should play an RPG instead of an MMORPG? (That not being an insult but a serious suggestion.)

I would be paying for having an expansion free server.

Didn't consider the mobs...

Maybe and ARK program where we can add to the game with moderation on the content (by Funcom), areas and mobs added?

Would require an editing tool ...

Extra Zones exist. Would be thrilled to see Rubi-ka city and tower free.

(Especially Phasefront free !!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Perfekt View Post
    2. People who play for PVP reasons tend to want the best gear. Those players have the "I want to be uber" mentality. You cannot be uber when your gun does min damage of 1.
    They could get RK best equipment.

I like the content of the game, the classic content.

This is not about stopping the other servers just having a place that is expansion free and if it is PvPer free and attracts more social and PvM players, I wouldn't think that is a bad thing.

---------

... but that is because the game is dying. The population is scarce for both paid and free players.
    Too sadly true and I am trying to suggest ways to prevent and turn it around. More marketing is needed once the game is different and we have something to sell again.

Consider Ultima Online, still alive and kicking despite so many things. Prefered interface 2D not the new 3D one. Why? Content.

Expansions might give the company a cash injection but long term they are killing the game.

...If you hate the paid players, maybe you should play an RPG instead of an MMORPG? (That not being an insult but a serious suggestion.)....
    I don't hate player. Take too much energy to hate. Some I avoid and some I dislike a bit for awhile.

This is about content and the game mechanics and how I dislike expansions and finding out if other people dislike them too and would like this idea.
    Last edited by Jenshai; Nov 6th, 2007 at 09:07:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshai View Post
    I would be paying for having an expansion free server.

I like the content of the game, the classic content.

This is not about stopping the other servers just having a place that is expansion free and if it is PvPer free and attracts more social and PvM players, I wouldn't think that is a bad thing.

Expansions might give the company a cash injection but long term they are killing the game.

I don't hate player. Take too much energy to hate. Some I avoid and some I dislike a bit for awhile.

This is about content and the game mechanics and how I dislike expansions and finding out if other people dislike them too and would like this idea.
    I don't know, maybe you went all nostalgic on us. I can't imagine Funcom advertising a new server that is based on a 6 year old game with no expansions, and none intended. That doesn't make much sense to me, though the editing tool idea might be cool to have.

And just fyi, expansions do not kill a game. They keep the content new and fresh so that players can enjoy the game longer. Yes, there is profit involved but I mean....duh :P

What is killing the game however, is Funcom's extremely pitiful hosting abilities and their general preference of ignoring the customer. The very fact of the expansions however are what keeps the game alive as it is.

Yes the scenery was nice without the cities, but the cities also contribute more to the sci-fi feel of the game.

Keep in mind, I'm just bored at the moment and I am NOT targeting your post for hatred or anything. I generally ignore players that I don't like...much less stress that way. I just read it and felt like posting back.

bump for edit.

Agreed hosting is bad.

As my signature basically says; expansions don't improve the game, only extend it and make it easier for new comers to catch up past the old content.

(Generally speaking there are quite a few specific small things that have been improvements.)

If they are going to keep the cities. Then:

1) More players to populate them
    2) The become useful and needed again
    3) make them part of a two weekly patch so they are stored client side and not an instance loading.
    4) More zones and space them out further, have grid or woompa points to them and more to offer that the "main" cities have.

5) I am working on an idea I will post when I have more time concerning cities.

((Thanks, didn't come across as a flame to -me- for your information. Resulted in more clarification and a "constructive to be ignored by Funcom post"))
    More Barbie instead of GI Joe game content, please!
    *Yngvild Lothe* ex AO quest designer -- "... So now you just want cheap thrills..." Classic server.
    Role Playing guide
    • Main account = Classic.

Phasefront can go jump in the ... oh wait it is already there!
    (Since openning, I have used the West Gate, Battle Station or NL grid point, twice).
    ALLNEUTS - always helping new players, regardless of faction.
    Neutral, can mean real freedom for you. ||| New year's resolution - stay off these forums. Hope you are happy now.
    Expansions don't enhance the game, they just extend it and make the beginning easier to catch up in order to race frantically at the "front"

Kahava - "... we had a civil community."

Bump.

This idea would easily increase FC's revenue from Anarchy Online at very little maintenance cost. New content would no longer mean lost subscriptions for FC.

Keep NW, though.

Would be fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    ...I can't code in better leadership for the Clan faction.

I swore I replied to this, and I also made a post about this years before this one...

I emailed FC when the news was coming for that uber long downtime for new server hardware asking this very same thing. Short answer: No go.

Found my old post from old account: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...ighlight=retro

If it was no go in 2005, no chance in OP time (2007) or now. Froobs are here for good, and to FC froobs + retro server would be redundant.
    Ruffixx, 220/30/66 Omni Opifex Fixer
    Pugilius, 206/30/49 Omni Opifex MA
    Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
    Medor, 199/23/42 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Vindicius, 189/20/46 Omni Atrox Enforcer
    Evilrilius, 100/10 Omni Nano MP - Foremans Killing Machine

Proud General of Obsidian Order

We both know it isn't the same thing though.

Of course not. I'd roll a toon to a classic server the day it launched. AO/NW only I say. No SL, AI, LE ever. Just old school fun.

Bump for hopeless dreams
    Ruffixx, 220/30/66 Omni Opifex Fixer
    Pugilius, 206/30/49 Omni Opifex MA
    Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
    Medor, 199/23/42 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Vindicius, 189/20/46 Omni Atrox Enforcer
    Evilrilius, 100/10 Omni Nano MP - Foremans Killing Machine

Proud General of Obsidian Order

How much ingame support would you expect?
    How much content development would you want?
    Which patch are we talking about? The one with lootable player corpses and OP traders and 25% gas almost everywhere?

It's not just a matter of turning the server on - people will think "oh cool" then realise how much the game doesn't hold the attraction you thought it does and quit in a week. Sorta like how firing up some old SNES games (or heck, Doom or Dune 2) on an emulator and they're just... meh.
    bai2u!
    -::l2pvp!1::-
    Electronite: FFA also destroyed Clan hegemony when it comes to tower wars. Ironically the downfall was started by the most active pvpers. Another ironic thing is that the downfall happened due to pvm conflict. Silirrion: (We have pretty good anti-troll filters by now though) Means: Thong-wearing troxes will always be a part of this game and a point of AO pride. Keldros: Obviously reall trolls don't use conditioner Marlark: If this forum was Swedish in it's language .. id pawn you any day. 220 NT: tl7 is a joke most of the time. 90% of the people are double double dead. some are worth debuffing tho. Mastablasta: you guys are right and I'm wrong. Ebag: No. You alpha me'd due to the stat bug. More Ebag: I don't have any twinks currently, nor do I participate much in mass TL7 PvP (though I do go occasionally, usually just to watch). Questra: an MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

Same as the current ones, only the expansions would be turned off. If they merged the servers, RK3 would do nicely.

So it would have the same updates, the same support as any other server. (Well except ARK wise, might want to source that slave pool from the player population of that server.)

1. I doubt very much FC still have 'the old servers' so chances are to make this work they would have to buy new or even second hand equipment.

2. Maintaining these servers would cost them more money again.

3. I struggle to imagine how this could be marketed to new players..."Come and buy half a game!!"

4. Certainly it holds appeal for some existing players...but of course that would then dilute the existing pool of players on the live servers...though not by much I have to say, as posted above it would be cool for a week at most then just terribly terribly lonely(though that might suit you just fine)

5. As suggested by others, there is nothing stopping anyone from playing the old game...its called the froob program and costs FC and anyone who makes use of it not a penny. I very much doubt any revenue FC get from the froob program would pay for a whole other set of servers for a handful of people to get all nostalgic.

6. It wouldn't be very noob friendly since the vast majority of people it would interest(hmm, lets say maybe 20, nice round number) would be Vets of this game and noobs wouldn't stand a chance.

7. If you disagree with those numbers then perhaps you can explain why since the original post 8 months ago there have been 17 replies. 5 pretty much in favour of the idea, 2 against and 8 from you yourself.

8. Finally, with AoC out and doing well, the new engine for AO in the pipeline and the other project FC are working on(can't recall the name right now) they just don't have the resources for such an undertaking.

ps: would you still train folk in totw on the old servers too?
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

I didn't think the servers would be around, which is why I suggested using the RK3 hardware if there is a merge.

P.S. You're on forum ignore too now, just thought I would make your day.

Lalalalalala I can't hear you *fingers in ears*

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshai View Post
    I didn't think the servers would be around, which is why I suggested using the RK3 hardware if there is a merge.

P.S. You're on forum ignore too now, just thought I would make your day.
    Wow, a post from Jen I truly appreciate \o/

I do wonder why I am being ignored though. My points above are as valid as anyone elses on this thread...and I made 8 points while Jen seems to have replied to only one.

It must be the ps at the end.
    Though sticking her head in the sand like an ostrich(which is what ignore is if someone has not been offensive) doesn't change the reality...ask any ostrich hunter
    210/18 Solitus Ranged Advy RUSTINEL * GARRZ Soldier Solitus 166/21
    145/18 Solitus Engineer DROIDAGE * AVYLORAN Keeper Solitus 161/14
    97/10 Solitus Metaphysicist MEHFIS * ZHERE Nanotech Nanomage 85/9
    Operator SCARCITY Fixer Opifex 49/5 Only TL2 Fixer solo title 7, all servers
    The Smuggler's Tale
    New Beginnings

Advisor of Shattered Dreams and Lumen Orien

Co-founder of Lumen Orien

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast