Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: AO on Mac OS X....

AO on Mac OS X....

Hey

Is it possible to run anarchy online under Mac OS X? I know parallels now supports 3d graphics so it should be possible to now run AO in parallels with Win XP on it. I've tried this but as of yet - it does not work. It will load the log in client screen, I can log in but then when it tries to load the game it will flash black and then crash. Has anyone else used it on parallels or Mac OS before? Any help will be much appreciated

- T

Which mac are you using? Intel or PowerPC base?
    New Intel mac use ATI gfx while the old one use nVidia, they have they own problem btw.

(A) If Intel based, then it is easy.

And which OS? Tiger or leopard?
    If Tiger, did you happen to download the Bootcamp beta 1.4a? It has vanished from the official site now, so......
    If Leopard, then it comes with improvised Bootcamp.

Just install XP from the Bootcamp installation.

Before jumping to any driver installation, make sure you got the gfx firmware updated at your OS X environment.

Reboot to XP.

DL ATI driver ver 7.9 and install. (it is in the archive site, and yes, its very old but its the only driver from ATI that can work with AO, the rest are crappy n have chat bug n artifacts issue)

Now here is the tricky part.
    At your AO launcher, change Rendering Device to "xxx Direct3D T&L HAL" where xxx is not the Primary thingy.
    At this point, AO works but beware, it will crash badly if you encounter high lag like running in Jobe Research, or Borealis. You have to swallow this kind of bug.

Want some more?
    DL Omegadriver (google for it) and install the newest version xxxx.442 (iirc)
    At AO launcher, this time you select "OmegaDriver Direct3D HAL".
    Its working for me now and I dont have any bad crash since I use this driver.
    I can even run n jump in Jobe Research n Borealis. Yeepee!!

*** Before install anything, make sure you read at least twice on the Readme files and fully understand it, and follow what it says. Many failure were caused by smarta55 users do their own way, n nothing in the world can safe them except suicide. ***

(B) If PowerPC based, then I'm terribly sorry. I dont have one, and have no experience to give any advice.

GL

lets just hope that FC takes a look at this..

http://www.transgaming.com/products/cider/
    AO Universe By Players, For Players! Gameplay/Quests/Locations Guides, News, Articles, Columns, AO Launcher Skins, Wallpapers, Maps, Utilities, Friendly Forums and the #1 Roleplaying Source for the community!

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwill View Post
    lets just hope that FC takes a look at this..

http://www.transgaming.com/products/cider/
    Off-topic:
    First they must be in partnership.
    Then...
    FC: Hey TG, pls wrap AO in you Cider will ya?
    TG: np, ......no wait.......gfx bit stone-age....
    FC: ?? what u need then?
    TG: Re-render the face, the trees, the body....
    FC: wt#...whos gonna do that for us?
    TG: thats your problem ..... mufufu.....
    etc etc....

I think the idea is cool using Cider.
    I've play EVE Online both in OS X and XP, they are no difference (classic mode).
    So I guess with some effort, it can be done.

Intel MacBook laptops use Intel GMA integrated graphics. MacBook Pros use nVidia. Think iMacs use nVidia as well. No idea on the PowerPC types... but don't know which ones of those can run Bootcamp anyways.

The most simple way to do it is to have Leopard and set up a Windows HD partition and install (preferably) XP SP2. This lets you run Windows XP natively and gets best results for gaming. I get outstanding results on my 2 GHz MacBook C2D with 1 GB RAM. Never had any issues. Have also tried out a couple other games - just recently the Hellgate: London demo and that worked flawlessly as well.

Doubt FC would ever use some *gasp* new technology to help out the Mac players. It's okay though. Call of Duty: 4 and Spore and UT3 and Gears of War will be coming to Mac. Our dependency on Bootcamp for gaming is going to drop considerably (except, sadly, for AO and perhaps a couple other games most people might play).
    Ruffixx, 220/30/66 Omni Opifex Fixer
    Pugilius, 206/30/49 Omni Opifex MA
    Blessedbrawl, 200/0 Omni Froob Opifex MA
    Medor, 199/23/42 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Vindicius, 189/20/46 Omni Atrox Enforcer
    Evilrilius, 100/10 Omni Nano MP - Foremans Killing Machine

Proud General of Obsidian Order

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffixx View Post
    Doubt FC would ever use some *gasp* new technology to help out the Mac players. It's okay though. Call of Duty: 4 and Spore and UT3 and Gears of War will be coming to Mac. Our dependency on Bootcamp for gaming is going to drop considerably (except, sadly, for AO and perhaps a couple other games most people might play).
    AO is old enough that it might run under Parallels, which seems to be able to deal with DirectX8. So until FC updates the engine anyway....
    Glarawyn L220 OT Adventurer
    It's good to be furry.
    ----
    Lilredhot L220 OT Enforcer
    Don't mind me, I tank without a helmet.
    ----
    Gunslinger19 L150 OT Soldier
    There's a word for people who think everyone's out to get them: perceptive.

Quote Originally Posted by Glarawyn View Post
    AO is old enough that it might run under Parallels, which seems to be able to deal with DirectX8. So until FC updates the engine anyway....

I actually, matter of fact recently tried on parallels and it didn't work. In parallels the driver system is emulated, so the gfx card and other direct X based "anything" doesn't even function for the game, tried in various ways and couldn't even get the game to function.

Glad to know about bootcamp though, i'll try that ASAP

Runs flawlessly using XP SP2 due to Bootcamp (have Leopard for OSX). Never had an issue. I basically use XP for AO, another game, have Firefox and AVG on it. That's basically it (besides AO programs like CS and whatnot)

Did anyone try it with Parallels 4 yet?

.s

Quote Originally Posted by sairs View Post
    Did anyone try it with Parallels 4 yet?

.s
    From what Ive heard, I wouldnt try anything with Parallels 4 yet.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

I can confirm that this works in VMware Fusion, quite well. MacBook Pro, 2gb ram c2d, ATI

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefioso View Post
    I can confirm that this works in VMware Fusion, quite well. MacBook Pro, 2gb ram c2d, ATI
    you have tried the patch mechanism as well?

UPDATE:
    I just tried with VMWare Fusion, and AO does in fact work. I have not tried to patch yet.
    The graphics are laggier than running native Windoze , so the tradeoff is whether or not you want to decrease your resolution for the benefit of not rebooting into your Windoze partition to play a game.
    Last edited by blix01; Dec 22nd, 2008 at 20:40:21.
    ======================

blix01/spookiepants/stiffwood

Just pinging this thread to add another option to run AO on OSX.

I'm using Crossover, a commercial variant of the WINE project. AO and other compatible games runs significantly faster on it than virtual machines (VMware and Parallels) and is just as fast if not faster than my Windows boot.

/Aruda

Are you using it with Linux though? Unless there has been some changes, I tried using that with OS X a long time ago and AO wouldn't run

I'm surprised (and skeptical) that WINE would run better than Parrallels or VMWare.
    But I haven't tried it.
    ======================

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffixx View Post
    Are you using it with Linux though? Unless there has been some changes, I tried using that with OS X a long time ago and AO wouldn't run
    I'm using it with OS X. As mentioned, I'm currently using Crossover 7.1 because it's easier to get it to work than free WINE or Darwine. The only problem I have is that I can't patch the AO client the usual way. The workaround is to replace AO's patcher program with an older version of the file before hitting the patch button.

Quote Originally Posted by blix01 View Post
    I'm surprised (and skeptical) that WINE would run better than Parrallels or VMWare.
    But I haven't tried it.
    From what I understand, WINE is just a compatibility layer that lets you run Windows applications without having to load Windows OS, so it avoids the speed penalty of virtual machines and emulation. In other words, it runs applications at native speed.

Crossover has a 7 days free trial download, if you want to mess ard with it

Very interesting. Guess I need to install a new trial version to try it in OS X. I tried it ages ago and it had next to no chance at running. Would be nice to have one less reason (and game) to reboot into XP using Bootcamp

Quote Originally Posted by Xaruda View Post
    Just pinging this thread to add another option to run AO on OSX.

I'm using Crossover, a commercial variant of the WINE project. AO and other compatible games runs significantly faster on it than virtual machines (VMware and Parallels) and is just as fast if not faster than my Windows boot.

/Aruda
    codeweaver website says AO isn't compatible with crossover:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...any/?app_id=26

This application currently does not install or run. We suggest you do not even try to use it until we have it labeled otherwise.
    If you were successful in getting it to run reliably, you should let them know and have them update their website.
    ======================

Quote Originally Posted by blix01 View Post
    codeweaver website says AO isn't compatible with crossover:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...any/?app_id=26

If you were successful in getting it to run reliably, you should let them know and have them update their website.
    It can't get a Crossover compatible status because of the patcher bug that I've mentioned. Read the forums:
    http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...um=1;msg=45088

If you patch using the workaround method, it works just fine.

I wanted to get a new trial of Crossover and try it out again (since I did when it first came out to no avail), but I don't have the AO CDs on me, meh. Those are necessary for installation aren't they? You can't download the client and bottle that, can you? Some reason I thought Crossover only worked w/ CDs

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast