Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New AO Engine Launch

New AO Engine Launch

As a celebration of the new AO engine that will grace our presence in the future, and the influx of new players that will grace the planet of Rubi-Ka, I hereby formally request a rework and reintroduction of "The Arrival Hall" back into the startup of Anarchy Online.

kthnx
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Bump... that was always fun to stroll around in, plenty of opinionated NPCs helped INFORM some players that this was an mmoRPg.

It helped make sense of why everyone on the island was asked if they survived the crash...

Wait, what crash? I don't remember any crash. I just appeared on some sandy shore completely clueless to how or why I'm here.

In anything telling a story this would be called a reason-an-editor-lost-their-job event.
    Last edited by Copperneedle; Jan 25th, 2008 at 14:53:19.
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

Quote Originally Posted by Copperneedle View Post
    Bump... that was always fun to stroll around in, plenty of opinionated NPCs helped INFORM some players that this was an mmoRPg.

It helped make sense of why everyone on the island was asked if they survived the crash...

Wait, what crash? I don't remember any crash. I just appeared on some sandy shore completely clueless to how or why I'm here.

In anything telling a story this would be called a reason-an-editor-lost-their-job event.
    The entire beginning needs to be redone - least the original graphic of the shuttle.

The startup crash - as cool as the graphics and sound were - was written by someone with an 11 year-old's skill. It was startlingly bad writing/voice acting. And probably the ladder confused peeps. Even vets. How many other times do you use a ladder in this game?

I'd be happy to see the shuttle crash put back in with rewriting. And the original character design room - it added to the immersion.
    Last edited by If6Was9; Jan 25th, 2008 at 19:44:49.

Yeah the arrival hall was great, I wtb it back.
    Eseb

Luckyspawn: spartans know all about pvp in BS /macro sparta /s THIS IS... SPARTA!!! \n /afk

Quote Originally Posted by If6Was9 View Post
    And probably the ladder confused peeps. Even vets. How many other times do you use a ladder in this game?
    Well I didn't think it was confusing when I first started, I saw a ladder, it lead up and out, I went to it. Previous games have taught me to look at everything in my environment before giving up and saying I'm stuck. There are things far less obvious then a ladder in games that people deal with on a daily basis.

Bump for bringing the hall back.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

yeah Arrival hall was just cool, they should definitely bring it back, it actually helped you understand the shuttle crash.

bump for this.

they could also add recruitment stands to the Island (not just a bloke standing there) where theres pictures of the main cities from which each promoter are from, etc and explain the factions a bit better.

I loved the old arrival hall/crash scene. The NPCs in the arrival hall explained the setting and helped to set the scene. Planet, Omni, Clans yadda yadda. Big baddabump.

As to it being 'confusing for new players' - I didn't get confused about it at all. Seemed perfectly obvious to me: talk to NPCs to find out really basic stuff (and get the hang of moving, how to interact with NPCs etc before being chucked into a combat area, especially for a game without a combat tutorial) and then the (admittedly lamely done but still a lovely idea) disaster that causes your shuttle to crash. Oh look, a ladder. Well there's nothing else in here, I'll hit the ladder. Oh look, I climbed out! Hey I crashed on a beach, lucky that. Oh look, an NPC - he'll tell me what's going on like the other guys did.
    I doubt that requires genius-level intelligence.
    This is my disillusioned, cynical and lazy Engi rights activist account.
    Quitter092 Placard holder
    Ophiuchus 220/30/70
    Bombqueen 75 frewb
    Lots of random non engis.

Until pets behave reliably, their stats are irrelevant.

Bump.

I've talked to many newbies that don't have a clue what omni/clan/neut even are. The arrival hall presented a nice opportunity to learn some backstory at the very beginning of the game, instead of having it all left to the recruiters near stacklund.

Bring back the folowing :

The drop ship crash for Rubi Ka start.
    The huge stargate room for Shadawlands start.
    The hall for... I dunno, froobs ?

If that's confusing, make it a non interactive cutscene. I agree that the hall introduced the sides well and gave you the occasion to see a few plot elements. Now it's not really well introduced (RK and SL).

Oh and make the dropship at the morning star and the one crashed match colors please. You board an OT dropship and crash in a yellow one.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Quote Originally Posted by Boltgun View Post
    The huge stargate room for Shadawlands start.
    Wow, id forgotten that.

The arrival hall just needs a basic "training" area, with some NPCs that get you to do things, like fitting implants, belts, NCU etc
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

Great idea, I was really shocked when they removed it in the first place, removing it didn't make any sense. But instead of waking up inside the ship after the crash it makes more sense waking up on the beach.

Hello, this is your captain speaking...
    *explosion sound*
    We're getting attacked by aliumz
    *everything goes black*
    *wakes up on the beach*

bump
    I remember when I first started AO a few years ago and got very impressed by the Eremite (but RK version..) statue.

Wtb some statues where you show off some cool scenarios from SL/AI/LE too!
    Shumarte 220/30 enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by Brucelee2003 View Post
    If someone thinks he can win by dirty tricks - he totally wrong.

bump, that was possibly the best intro to a MMO i've seen. If you need to redo the en area so that you cant go to RK with out talking to one of the NPCs to know what you're doing then do it, but seriously bring this back.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

/bump best intro "zone" to a mmo game ever..

the intro was really great and teh arrivalhall was,too
    give us this back

oh and pls with the new engine make some tutorial movies about the conflict in rubi-ka and how to play and so,easyer start for enw players

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    Well I didn't think it was confusing when I first started, I saw a ladder, it lead up and out, I went to it.
    ((in regards to the ladder being confusing/ ill-used))

LOL Maybe I was ill timed in the initial intro to that ladder. First time playing I thought I did something wrong causing the shuttle to crash, the 'stabilize' period confused me why I couldn't move, once it crashed I had no idea what was going on because I was running into a corner while the screen was dark/black and couldn't seem to go anywhere, after finding my sense of direction and going to the hall of red-light made me readjust my monitor settings thinking the RGB values were bugged,spent 2-3 minutes wondering where the exit to the shuttle was, Got to the ladder and "changing area, please wait" I waited... waited... and waited a couple more seconds. At that point I closed the game thinking there was a bug... it was just my first experience to the Lag-effect lol. But I got through it all just fine the second time!
    Copperneedle 207 doc Ex-president Whisper's Edge
    -others on RK1 CLAN!-

New Perma-Resident to Test Live

Binarybits 220/26/70 President of :
    Loyal order of the Guinea pig

lol same, the crash was a great idea, but did not fit AO at all. Nowhere else in game is there anything like the crash.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Just found this thread again when I was searching for the old EoT Upgrade thread.. Since I included it in my new proposed idea I feel obligated to link to you since your post is older

Thumbs up

Old arrival hall actually still exists.

Long time ago I rolled one toon to other dimension but never played it. Logged her out in arrival hall. And lately I logged her in since client show that she's logged in arrival hall, had to try if it still exists. And it does. Was fun to see it again, and all those NPC's.

When I started AO that Arrival hall was very nice and quite informative place to start. Please activate it again for new toons FC.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast