Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can our Notum Mines actually.. you know.. Mine Notum?

Can our Notum Mines actually.. you know.. Mine Notum?

Quote Originally Posted by Xaun View Post
    I had a sort of brain storm based on something rather comical from the community. The "Notum Miner Profession" as we all know is a classic and beloved community joke.. but seriously.. Can our Notum Silo's actually.. you know.. Mine Notum?
    Why you ask? Right now everyone knows to get money you have to PVM.. so what if you could attain money by PVPing? Unbalanced? Not really.. fair? Pretty much. Exploitable? Hmm.. now that would be hard.. I am sure someone will respond to this thread trying to say it could be.. but after hours debating.. I can only say.. If they plant it.. kill it.. I believe this would be one of the few things that could return a balance of power between activities in this game which currently favor PVMers who sell things to PVPers..

Right now if you spend hours each day in NW.. you are basically "losing money" on multiple levels. Let's examine:

1- You spend time PVM'ing to get the money / items to equip to pvp not sell.
    2- You spend money on towers & consumables used for NW & PVP (Farmed through PVM)
    3- You do not gain any new money during the time you pvp (unless duel logged )

Here's the pitch:

Having a NW "Base" aka a Mining Site hooks your Org to a side based "extraction and refinement network" Basically it works like this:

We have an org bank which is a variable number in a database representing "credits". Give organizations a new variable representing "Notum Caches". Every "X" interval of time based on the QL of the site lets just say 1-100 ratio for now and use 4 hours as our interval variable.

QL 1 site = 100 notum for a CT alone every 4 hours.
    • Each Cannon/Turret tower planted gives an extra 25 Notum per interval
    • Each Support tower planted gives an extra 50 Notum per interval
    • Introduce a new tower call "Notum Extractor" which has 0 offensive/defensive/buffing capabilities beyond harvesting raw notum and gives a bonus of 200 Notum per interval.

Scale this up as necessary and then introduce a global Notum Trade / Exchange Market both Official and Blackmarket variants:

Examples:
    • Omni-Mining Facility gives X % interest on the exchange rate for all omni orgs based on side XP
    • ICC Facility gives X % interest based on faction & that faction's side XP
    • Blackmarket options could include "Unionists/Dust Brigade/Sol Banking/Other 'connected parties' " etc... they give a X% interest based on faction & that faction's side XP and how each individual blackmarket resource views a particular side.
    Now I can elaborate on this but I think you get the idea.. new NW towers (we all been asking for) but with a new PVP/PVM faction grind (yes I said it) In short.. all players who want to own these new towers have to kill the NPC's enemies to gain favor to access the objects.. this is a PVP / RP element. This counts as PVP kills and PVM kills (if all orgs have a faction then killing org aligned with faction A could earn favor with side B)

It may be even best to make the towers 'no-drop' eg.. non-tradeable so that to get the bonus you would have to earn it.

Make these markets non-static.. make the "supply/demand" augment these rates. Let the org pres decide which market to sell their notum to and choose when to sell. This will add more depth to NW on top of giving orgs a reason to have a base beyond "buffs" because it becomes a way to earn money for your members.

I would like to take a suggestion also and say for the first time ever lets factionalize orgs:
    If all orgs were forced to select an RP based mechanic ie.. "Department in OT/ Legacy Clan / Local Law Government" then it would give this market some true dynamics in how the NPC's reacted to people based on their orgs actions. Lets say for example that a power org that is constantly killing the DB would loose standings with the DB and make any exchanges between said org and the DB drop dramatically but an org that has not killed the DB would get a better return from them.

Orgs who attack Neutrals will lose standings with ICC. Orgs that attack Clans lose standings with Unionists/clan reps.. Orgs that attack Omni will lose standings with Omni. This would make the actions of an org be held accountable in many respects.

Additionally, each of the various "Exporters" could have custom Towers/NW items that can only be accessed through gaining enough faction with that particular exchange group based on transactional standings with them. In short, constantly doing business with the same person has rewards that shifting around to the best market does not have.

I could go on about how important making organizations select an RP based legacy to follow could be for other future PVM content as well as PVP content but I think I have got the ball rolling in your mind enough for now.
    If you side with a faction as an org you gain an "ORG Research" level. This is only active while in your org. This gives you the ability to buy/trade/sell from the org aligned merchants. There are also individual merchants you can earn rep with {black market} that don't require and org and are character locked. Imagine taking that "Unredeemed/Redeemed" faction and using it on something?

This would also bolster the RP/PVP connection which has been lost in the last few years of AO. Also you could consider this a lateral progression of NW or an expansion to a booster

Anyway.. this is one of the things that came about from my big list.. but felt it was a good enough idea that needed a thread of it's own and so here it is.. /love, /flame, /discuss away..
    Last edited by Xaun; Aug 12th, 2008 at 07:08:07.

I suggested something along these lines, got told the notum is sold and we get contracts, that is our payment.

The notum is mine, all mine *muhahahaha*

Err I mean... cookies?
    Stars "Wormx" Monkey 220/30/70 3rd opi fix on RK1, 7th on all dimensions to hit AI30 Thanks for all the raids : )
    DanceMeTo "Summerglow" TheEndOfLove 220/27/67 Opi Fixer. Yes, I like fixers.
    LifeIs "Winterglow" NoCabaret 150/14/42 Opi Fixer. Waiting for more hits with the nerfbat.
    Doctor "Wormx6" Panda 220/20/55 Atrox doctor, dinged 220 off Thrak key quest : )
    Mr "Ceilingcat" Monkey 220/23/52 Soli MP, hiding in the ceiling, watching...
    Too many other alts to list here...

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshai View Post
    I suggested something along these lines, got told the notum is sold and we get contracts, that is our payment.
    That's what they told me too.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...8&postcount=23 Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:40:54

Link please?
    {query= Mine Notum + Jenshai}

The following errors occurred with your search:

1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post
    That's what they told me too.
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=530452 - Old Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:22:22

and what I saw.. did not have checks and balances in it.. And even in that thread I got support on my post.. you just plainly said.. "lets open a can of worms.." I tried to put some serious thought in to it.. heh

and what I saw.. did not have checks and balances in it.. And even in that thread I got support on my post.. you just plainly said.. "lets open a can of worms.." I tried to put some serious thought in to it.. heh
    I've found that there's no use putting checks and balances in things, Funcom don't take it "lock, stock and barrel". They'll add their own numbers in, so even if the community hates or loves your idea on the forums Funcom's rendition of it could have the opposite reaction.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Yes, please do already. Bump. I hope it would draw more people to towers.

It may be even best to make the towers 'no-drop' eg.. non-tradeable so that to get the bonus you would have to earn it
    Allthou I don't see the point in here. Often people lack a certain ql of CT I could give them by trading.

/love, /flame, /discuss away..
    /love
    Zoetropez :: 214/20 :: Bureaucrat
    Dymek03 :: 1/0 :: Martial Artist I've been enlightened around level 213.

Quote Originally Posted by Dymek View Post
    Yes, please do already. Bump. I hope it would draw more people to towers.

Allthou I don't see the point in here. Often people lack a certain ql of CT I could give them by trading.
    ^^ Answer to the QL problem is make all QL's (even those "missing ones") available.. It doesn't have to be idiotic either.. just put a numeric field in the purchase box for the QL you want.. and it produces a holo-example for you.. (*eg stats) to check then hit accept and it produces it in your inventory! Sorta like item checking on Auno.org

However, you do have a point.. we could be selling PVP farmed towers to PVMers to balance out the "skew" of income right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dymek View Post
    /love
    !

I like this idea
    More reasons to PvP will bring more people into the whole PvP game.
    Personally, I am mostly a PvM'er. I hardly ever go to a pure-pvp event. There has to be some reward, be it "keep our SideXP up" (1), "gain Victory Points to buy stuff" (2) or "do a PvM quest for whatever PvM reason, with a risk of PvP'ing" (3).

1: This one motivates me the least. I still come to tower defenses, though.
    2: This one only motivates me for as long as there are stuff to get for VP. I am running out of said items soon.
    3: Well, whenever those quests give me something I would like to have.

All summed up:
    Yes to more reasons to involve in PvP.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    I like this idea
    More reasons to PvP will bring more people into the whole PvP game.
    Personally, I am mostly a PvM'er. I hardly ever go to a pure-pvp event. There has to be some reward, be it "keep our SideXP up" (1), "gain Victory Points to buy stuff" (2) or "do a PvM quest for whatever PvM reason, with a risk of PvP'ing" (3).

1: This one motivates me the least. I still come to tower defenses, though.
    2: This one only motivates me for as long as there are stuff to get for VP. I am running out of said items soon.
    3: Well, whenever those quests give me something I would like to have.

All summed up:
    Yes to more reasons to involve in PvP.
    And that is what I was hoping to hear..

Please leave NW and towers as they are.
    Proud member of Shadow Ops
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP setup
    Hidden message
    Quote Originally Posted by Klod View Post
    You won.
    Making them feel special since 2008.

Yes! There must nto be any suggestion that jenshai has not previously thought of.

Please leave NW and towers as they are.
    lol, in fact i would disagree, some modifications to the way OS works might be good.
    main characters on RK1: Kingduck138 220 Engi Mongoose135 170 Agent Nnivekccub 165 Engi Kingduck135 170 Soldier Mongoose831 160 Agent Healdocheal 150 Doc Atroxshade 130 Shade Nanottwink 130 NT Mongoose144 125 Agent Ducktroxjr 117 Fixer Eternalguard 65 Enf Boringname 61 Fixer Kingduck139 60 Eng Atheist 60 MA Mongoose142 30 DocMongoose138 15 Agent Mongoose141 21 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by KingDuck View Post
    Yes! There must nto be any suggestion that jenshai has not previously thought of.
    -.^

What have you been smoking?

A good idea, the org bank should get funds from the mining by making all their atrox members stand around the CT with a mining tool.

Then the opifex members get to sift through the rubble for extra notum.

And the solitus members get to watch and crack the whip, and the nanomages get to hide in case theyre forced to work too.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

lol, in fact i would disagree, some modifications to the way OS works might be good.
    OS works great. What are you talking about? NW is freakin' awesome today, when theres no more CC nonsense and blob wars.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

Quote Originally Posted by Omutb View Post
    A good idea, the org bank should get funds from the mining by making all their atrox members stand around the CT with a mining tool.
    generating new creds into the game has proven bad for the economy

OS works great. What are you talking about? NW is freakin' awesome today, when theres no more CC nonsense and blob wars.
    CC plays a bigger part in NW today because when you get area snared and OSd you can't do anything really.
    main characters on RK1: Kingduck138 220 Engi Mongoose135 170 Agent Nnivekccub 165 Engi Kingduck135 170 Soldier Mongoose831 160 Agent Healdocheal 150 Doc Atroxshade 130 Shade Nanottwink 130 NT Mongoose144 125 Agent Ducktroxjr 117 Fixer Eternalguard 65 Enf Boringname 61 Fixer Kingduck139 60 Eng Atheist 60 MA Mongoose142 30 DocMongoose138 15 Agent Mongoose141 21 Agent

generating new creds into the game has proven bad for the economy
    Well, depends how many credits are generated I suppose.

Perhaps have it so that the credits "mined" are put directly in the orgs city controller, orgs with towers but no city gain nothing.
    Omutb - President - Ring of Destruction

If you only knew the power of the Frosted Strawberry Poptart....

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; Or close the wall up with our English dead." - because Wales just isnt a country

Chernobyl, providing the freshest bottled water since 1986, for that healthy green glow.

CC plays a bigger part in NW today because when you get area snared and OSd you can't do anything really.
    CC as in "I'm a warp ya people all over the zone". I don't miss it one bit.

MP setup
    Hidden message
    You won.

haha youre notum miner!
    Theonara: "...but if I weren't married, some days I'd offer to kiss you. You just make too much sense. "
    Maeventura: "Sigh, once again I can but only bow for hyde's wisdom."

...."Social" keys, lightbars, wen-wens......Better tabbing!

... First Troxdoc with QL300 symbs (AO 17.0 pre-Albtraum guide) ... as well as first with 12 of 13 Alpha symbs.
    ... First TL1 Clanner with Omni-Armed Forces armor (pics) (pointless yet hawt)

<original UI hacker ... when not actively playing AO ... email = 'hyde [at] athenpaladins • org'>

All your mine are mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Wouldn't it be better if all the attributes were combined into one skill called "goodness?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast