Thread: patching loop

patching loop

hi
    seem to be caught in some sorta patching loop, havent played game for a long while installed notum/shadowlands/invasion on new pc but can play cos it just wants to patch.
    tried the suggestion in a earlier post and changing the anarchypatch.exe but that just ended up in a crashing problem so im stuck.
    please help havent played ao in years was looking forward to a good start back but the problems have begun :<

cheers flux

Are you using Windows Vista, by any chance?
    Guardian Venachar
    Public Forums Moderator - Deputy Team Lead | Professionals Liaison
    Forums Team | Community Relations Department | Advisors of Rubi-Ka

yes i am using vista why? thanks for speedy reply btw

Try starting the game by Right Clicking and doing 'Run as Administrator.' Although the game can run the patch, it does not have permission to install the patch unless you're running with Administrator Rights, so it will just loop over and over again.

You're quite welcome. Let me know how this turns out.

Best Regards,
    Guardian Venachar

Or better (and safer) yet, install AO to some other place than the default "Program Files" folder (create something like C:\Games, and put it there instead). Then you don't have to run the game with admin privileges (both for patching or simply playing), plus Vista won't be messing with your character preferences either.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Vista messes with character preferences?

I'd never noticed.

/me quickly moves his AO folder.
    Guardian Venachar

hi tried the admin thing and it didnt work gonna reinstall it like sugested thanks

hi tried moving AO folders and turn of user account with advice from tech team and still stuck in this loop its crazy

bump still need help still not working

@Venachar:
    Posted just today by Bekrowe in another thread about preferences not getting saved on Vista:

"Vista introduces User Access Control (UAC) this prevents normal access to files in the Program Files folder.

As already said its best to move your AO install to another directory such as C:\Anarchy Online."
    (Original thread: 2 Error Messages)

As for the OP and follow-ups:

Make sure you have proper file/folder access permissions for the folder you are trying to install AO into (full access, no restrictions to write/modify/delete). If you have moved the AO installation from the Program Files folder, the restrictions that were in effect there may have transferred to the new location. You should copy it instead (which will update permissions to all copied files and folders with the default/inherited permissions for the current user account at the target location).

If you are using anti-virus/malware/spyware application with real time scanning features, try to temporarily shut them down as they may interfere with other applications trying to access their own files for writing (especially if they are as large files as the item database).

Put your software firewall into "ask permission" mode for at least during the patching attempt to see if it may have blocked the patcher from accessing the internet properly.

When the patcher tries to do the patching, do you see it actually downloading files and processing/applying them for a while, say, for 1-5 minutes at least (and displaying what it does at the moment on the bottom part of the patcher screen), or it just starts up then says patching is done in a matter of seconds?

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

hi
    god i really need help with this vista crap lol
    1. i noticed that the ao folder i put the installation into is set to read only so i changed it and it just went back to being read only. what the hell?
    2 this permissions thing im tried a few permutations of having on or off ( when i first started the permisssions where all on so i set it back to that) in the pemissions list there are 3 separate groups me,system and administrators
    3 the game still wants to patch i tried turning off my firewall also

sorry for a being a pc noob

thanks flux
    Last edited by Fluxtrox; Dec 11th, 2008 at 12:30:31.

You might want to try manual patching, should the automatic patcher fail.

The original Anarchy Online CD is version 11.0, these links go up to the latest version of Anarchy Online. Remember to patch in rising order. The links will most likely save you some time. After you have finished patching up to the latest version, you must enter the anarchy login area. By using these links you save yourself the trouble of downloading several. If you are unsure which version of AO you have please start Anarchy Online and look for the number next to local version. This is the version that you need to patch up from. The EP1 patches should only be used if you have Shadowlands and/or Alien Invasion installed. Download standalone .exe patches here: http://launcher.anarchy-online.com/e...hes/index_html .

Anarchy Online also has a dedicated team for techical support. You may contact them by mailling techsupport@anarchy-online.com .

I hope this helps!
    Guardian Creacal
    Public Forums Moderator
    Communications Team
    Operations Department
    Advisors of Rubi-Ka
    Forums Social Guidelines

Muffins are awesome.