Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone running AORC?

Smile iPhone running AORC?

Ok so I have a new iPhone and was wondering if it's possible to get aorc or something similar working on it. They make irc apps but I'm not sure they would work the same. I basically want to Logon and chat with guildies on any of my toons via my phone. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Unfortunately all of the AO Chat mobile apps that I've seen were J2ME (Java) applications, which the iPhone won't run.

A skilled coder could probably use an IRC app as a basis, but you would have to put in the AO chat stuff. AO chat was based on IRC originally, but is definitely not compatible.

The most cross-platform way would be to create a browser-based chat application (without flash, without Java, but Javascript would be usable), since most modern mobile devices would be able to use that. And using AJAX would allow for a pretty decent experience. But then someone would have to host it.

Or ... getting fugly here ... but you might be able to get one of the AO bots to run on OSX. If you can do that then you could jailbreak your phone and run the bot directly on the phone. To be honest, that's probably the coolest overall solution. All of the building blocks are already there.

"Hey, Beastchat just went down!" "yeah, he walked out of range".

You can try porting AORC from the delphi sources to ObjectiveC. I've already tried for Windows Mobile but I lack the experience in mobile development.

TBH I don't bother with AORC client on Windows Mobile, instead I just run full AO client using remote desktop.

Edit: I have actually written a winmo version of aorc thanks to vhab's library...
    Last edited by Malaxia; Aug 20th, 2010 at 01:05:02. Reason: changed my mind
    RK1 - Malaxia - NM Bureaucrat (220/30/70) - Master of soloing
    RK1 - Telbruk - Solitus Soldier (220/30/59) - Mostly harmless
    RK1 - Telbewbs - Solitus Doctor (220/30/65) - Raiding assistant
    RK1 - Telbot - Atrox Adventurer (59/4) - Lovechild raid bot
    RK1 - Sumonia - NM Meta-Physicist (83/6) - Mochies totem
    RK1 - Coustaille - NM Engineer (52/0) - Totw Twink
    Test - Mala - Solitus Agent (220/30/70) - Council of Testers

President of Cosmic Forklift Inc. & General of Primal Evolution & Live Liaison of Council of Testers

Everything you need for your crat is here
    Testlive fun : MMOATP and more! Join us!

Wow Doctorhyde, thanks for the info. What you and Malaxia mentioned above is way beyond my expertise. I may just have an easier time getting the AO client to run on it. Worse case I just VNC or RDP into my home computer

wtb someone making an AORC iPhone app and selling it in the app store.
    Last edited by Medicaid; Jun 30th, 2009 at 21:01:52.

I know this is a 5 month old thread, but still a great idea. IRC apps exist for phones, and if my memory serves correct, the AO chat servers are IRC. I can't get the phone IRC to login irc.funcom.com:6667 or chat.d1.funcom.com:7101. The IRC app doesn't want to connect, I've tried a few. Had I the knowledge, I would do it myself. How hard would this be? Or maybe a webpage devoted only to logging in the chat, though as mentioned earlier, move your friends list to a free account and login on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Waahash View Post
    if my memory serves correct, the AO chat servers are IRC.
    Unfortunately your memory served you wrong.
    Funcom does have an IRC server, but it's in no way related to the ingame chat servers, nor do the ingame chat servers use the IRC protocol.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Unfortunately your memory served you wrong.
    Funcom does have an IRC server, but it's in no way related to the ingame chat servers, nor do the ingame chat servers use the IRC protocol.
    Any idea on what the ingame chat servers utilize?

Quote Originally Posted by Waahash View Post
    Any idea on what the ingame chat servers utilize?
    It's a custom protocol used by AO and in a somewhat modified way by AoC.
    There's no real written documentation so implementations are done based on previous implementations (from the source of existing chat clients and bots).
    (the original implementation was reverse engineered from a java applet FC used to provide to access ingame chat from outside the game)
    Formerly Vhab.

So, Java then? And I will admit, I am the last person to know anything about programming. If I remember correctly (which will probably put my memory 0, and fact 2), Java is only Java specific. You would create your Java app to run on a Java environment. And each environment is to run on different platforms. If that is true, than anything Java based could be used on other machines, provided you have a way of maybe rearranging any GUI and setting the control schemes up. Again, that's my memory and that's my interpretation.

Now, admittedly, this is not impossible. It's the matter of getting the right heads together.

There are libraries for aochat (as we call) it in many languages; c, php, java, c#, perl and a few more iirc.
    Ofcourse, the protocol is just that, a protocol. It can be implemented in almost any programming language.
    And yes, aorc for the iPhone is certainly possibly.

Though, so far none of the remaining active programmers in AO that I know of seem to be interested enough to create a client specifically for the iPhone.
    Formerly Vhab.

What about a J2ME?

There is a chat client written in Java, but I highly doubt it's suitable for the iPhone in it's current form. Even when just looking at the UI and ignoring the technical stuff.
    I'm not too familiar with iPhone development but I recall they have a policy against frameworks that run other code (like Java), so I believe there's no direct way to even try the existing chat client on an iPhone.
    I'm not too certain java is supported or encouraged on the iPhone either. Iirc it's mainly objective-c (causes sad pandas) and c++.

The current situation is pretty much: it's technically possible but requires a programmer to put in a significant amount of effort.
    Until a programmer steps up for this task, no ao chat client on your iPhone.

However, you could get access to your org's chat if they setup IRC relay on their orgbot and you use an irc client on your iPhone.
    But you'll be limited to just chatting with your org mates and requires some setup from whoever manages your org's bot.
    Formerly Vhab.

Just for the record:

Some AO bots are able to connect to IRC. You use that mainly to connect more than one bot together.

So your guild would have to setup their bot to connect to an IRC channel and then you could use some IRC client on your iPhone to talk to your friends, draw your battery, build-up a huge phone bill, and spam your guild with "xxx joined the channel" and "xxx left the channel" messages.

Edit: Didn't see Vhab already pointed out that fact about bots and IRC.
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

Anyone have AORC code source somewhere ?

I could take a look for turning it to mobile app maybe.
    Dark1947 220 / 30 Fixer 1rst fixer AI 30 on Rimor

Advisor of Devil Inside : still looking for new players and pvpers... More info at Devil Inside website here

Actualité Geek et High-Tech Place4Geek.com

Fixer Guides : Low HP setup, PvP and reflects-
    ----------------Tips & Tricks for PVP with your fixer against all profs
    ----------------QL 300 AI eye without burden & without gunship

take a look here. you might find something useful.
    Oltcit - 220/24/69 troxie enf -= Proud General of Deadly Whispers =- RK1
    Roflcopterz - 220/20/60 troxie nubstick wielder

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    There are libraries for aochat (as we call) it in many languages; c, php, java, c#, perl and a few more iirc.
    Can you post some links to those libraries, Vhab? I'd like to have a look at the stuff (and yes, "Hi, i am a Mac" )

regards
    /Z
    Level 200 Nanomage Nano-Technician on Rimor speaking... - Unit Commander of Knights of Ka
    Toons:(*=froobs)
    Zzzzzzwap* (inofficial main),
    Krisplin* (main, but buff whore),
    Theophrastus* (piercing doc - aka froob shade)
    Kosminski (Shade - Yes, i went paid...)
    Codeleet (s10 & pvp)
    ~ Founder of TL5+ - Rimor TL5+ froob raid force ~ || ~ My Tweet... ~

Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    Can you post some links to those libraries, Vhab? I'd like to have a look at the stuff (and yes, "Hi, i am a Mac" )

regards
    /Z
    Click on my signature for a c# one :P

I recently did acquire an ipod touch and a matching development environment.
    But I don't expect to find time to code up a client just yet (got another project going first).

One thing I can say though, if I am writing a client for the ipod/iphone it would be with the intention to sell it, not to give it out free.
    Mainly because of the hardware and software investment required.

A question to you all:
    Is there interest in a payed AO chat client on the ipod/iphone?
    Or would this simply put you off and warez it instead?
    Last edited by Vhaxx; May 28th, 2010 at 19:01:01.
    Formerly Vhab.

@vhab : i think it depends on the price..

@ Medicaid :

Just get who ever is hosting your bot to link it to IRC. Then get a IRC app to the iphone.

The IRC channel doesent need to be created in funcoms server, any server will do.

You can join our alliance bot anytime using that method, just PM me for details.

p.s. wru :P

@Vhab : I would buy, if price is correct.
    Dark1947 220 / 30 Fixer 1rst fixer AI 30 on Rimor

Advisor of Devil Inside : still looking for new players and pvpers... More info at Devil Inside website here

Actualité Geek et High-Tech Place4Geek.com

Fixer Guides : Low HP setup, PvP and reflects-
    ----------------Tips & Tricks for PVP with your fixer against all profs
    ----------------QL 300 AI eye without burden & without gunship

Make one for android as well!
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast