Thread: Faction and Shadowknowledge Question

Faction and Shadowknowledge Question

I have a question that wasn't clearly explained in any thread that I could find. By looking at the research needed for each level, SK is equal to 1000 XP. Okay, now suppose you're level 199, and you get 600k xp per adonis heckler kill. Now, faction also affects the SK you receive. So, what I'm asking is: if you have 50k faction and all other variables are the same, except you are now level 200, will you receive 600 SK per kill now? Or will you get 600 SK per kill at some lower faction, and above that is a bonus? Or will the SK you get be less than the corresponding XP regardless? Does the XP and SK from a monster correspond to each other at all?

Best not to think of faction as a bonus, rather a penalty.

At 50k Faction (Unredeemed for Omni, Redeemed for Clan, Guardian for Neutrals), you'll get your SK at 100% efficiency. At the same rate you did at levels 1 to 199; the mob dies, its worth a set amount of XP, and thats exactly what you get. For SK, the mob dies, its worth a set amount of XP, your faction is divided by 500, to get a percentage, and modified by that percentage. For every 1k that is missing, you suck down a 2% XP Penalty.

Side XP doesnt appear effected by faction, in fact it appears to be based off the original XP/SK value of the mob. Ie, lets pretend a mob is worth 1000 SK, you have a 10% Side bonus, and exactly 500 Faction (1%, just for giggles). You get 10 SK for the kill, and 100 sk for the side bonus. An example thats pretty much impossible, but it makes it stand out. (Not totally sure about this one, I've never had ultra low faction @ level 200 to test. Just an observation, abnormal side bonus to low xp)

Taking the time and effort to crank up your faction prior to dinging level 200 will speed up your levelling, by reducing the penalty. Some people perceive it to be an XP bonus, because they dont realise they've already been penalised.

A popular myth regarding hecklers is that no matter what faction you are, because they are a GoS mob, your GoS is what controls their XP rate. False. Ie, you could have 20k Unredeemed, and 40k Guardian, and only be eating a 20% penalty instead of a 40% penalty. Complete nonsense.

That said, this penalty isn't widely acknowledged. Many people just level away blissfully aware it could be faster if they just went to a smidge of effort. After all, do enough Inf Hards, and you'll just have 50k faction without specifically trying to acquire this figure. Getting it early is the kicker.
    Last edited by Dangerbot; Jul 25th, 2009 at 02:49:26.