Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Apology to Artyomis

Funcom employee Apology to Artyomis

While I was away at DragonCon, customer support unequipped several of Artyomis' twinks. I want to be very, very clear on this: This was a mistake. The person performing the calculations lacked relevant expertise that lead him to the incorrect conclusion that these characters had exploited equipment. To be very certain this never happens again all characters that are suspected by Customer Service of having exploited equipment will now be checked and double checked by the Development team before any punitive action (such as the removal of equipment or suspension) is taken. This was a simple mistake that should have been easily avoided and it is unfortunate that Artyomis had to be inconvenienced and have his reputation tarnished for us to get the proper procedures in place. Artyomis has displayed class and forgiveness that I am certain that we are not deserving of in this episode and I personally hold him in the highest respect.

Again to be perfectly clear:

Artyomis did NOT have exploited characters. Artyomis' characters were unequipped by error by Customer Service...not because of any wrongdoing on his part.

I sincerely hope we see more of Artyomis and players like him in the future.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

first
    Lordran 220/30/70 Soldier, Equip

Enfoosz 200/22/42 Enfo
    Fixxet 170/21/42 Fixer
    Nanolin 165/15/42 NT
    Ilonta 150/18/36 Doctor, equip

Don't think you will see more of Arty since he's now quitting..
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Nice of the GD to make a thread on it, now can someone please post the setup
    Manicmouse AR SMGs - 220/30 Clan Solitus Soldier - General of New Order
    Lawmaker Pistols - 220/30 Clan Atrox Bureaucrat | Sellyoursoul Shotgun - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Trader
    Adiee Pistols - 220/30 Clan Solitus Doctor | Boltcutter MA - 220/30 Clan Atrox Engineer | Anorexia - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Enforcer

Lazy: the caste system of ao today is clan > omni > wildlife > neuts.

Gatester: Crats have the best toolset for supporting a team in PVE.
    Aramsunat: WRONG! The team supports the crat if the crat is unable to solo (which is rare)!

You fail me again starscream!

Thumbs up

/applause for FC.

Something very proper done by the man up high.
    Quote Originally Posted by cbus97 View Post
    Oho my good man. Perhaps – and of course good sir this is only suggestion, but a most earnest one at that, I can assure you – a fine gentleman such as yourself might be forthwith moved to transfer ownership of the contents of your inventory to a handsome and deserving chap, namely myself, in a timely fashion?

Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
    This is great. This is a perfect example for *everyone* at how to deal with something like this, after the error has happened, and it really makes me feel a lot better about the AO team. It's a shining light in the dark.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

A very public apology to a single player from a Game Director, I don't think that has ever happened in any other MMO.... if it did their PR department would have erased any trace of it to perpetuate that GD's are "gods, thus always right".
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by TuskutsTehMA View Post
    /applause for FC.

Something very proper done by the man up high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
    This is great. This is a perfect example for *everyone* at how to deal with something like this, after the error has happened, and it really makes me feel a lot better about the AO team. It's a shining light in the dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    A very public apology to a single player from a Game Director, I don't think that has ever happened in any other MMO.... if it did their PR department would have erased any trace of it to perpetuate that GD's are "gods, thus always right".
    100% agree! Well done Means, well done.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    A very public apology to a single player from a Game Director, I don't think that has ever happened in any other MMO.
    Maybe not, but having met Means in person, I'm not at all surprised.

Means -

/bow
    Cathryn "Vallikat" Thompon

Your queen of muffiny goodness!
    Director - Gridstream Productions --->Tune In Here

Member, GSP Dancers

Gunney: Lissunin ta GSP mayukz me wanna play... wut bettah reezun duz enee wun need?

Awesome. That's great to see Means. Kudos for doing this.
    Lupusceleri L220/30/70 Agent -- Advisor of Spartans -- equip endgame AR setup endgame def setup <3 Azs wearer of Cheree's pants
    Arrowsmith -- Arafellin -- Alphacenta -- Aesculapias -- Wolfseye -- Lysdexic

TL5 enf twink: im out those MPs are to overpowered

crattey: The Balance Discussion forum. Where common sense goes to die.

gj
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

After seeing his presentation at Dragoncon and reading his many "friday with means" posts and replies on forums and now this, I can honestly say Ive never had more respect for a GD before.

I only wish he had been here from start, how much better wouldnt AO be then.
    ->X<- Proud Advisor of Genesis->X<-
    220/23 Soldier Xscape ->X<- Xscapee Agent 220/22
    Xxdevisxx Engineer 216/15

AO satisfaction level :[████] Content :[]: Discontent

ye rite

Can I have your stuff?
    Fixer - Solja Lite
    Adv - Forgotten lubchild
    Trader - Nerfed Professional

Pigs are flying!!!!
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Artyomis has displayed class
    That's a first . Anyway good that mistakes are recognized.

However wouldn't it be better that Devs spent the time eradicating the bugs that cause these unfair setups than spend time figuring out if it is possible or not. I'm sure if a setup is posted on the forum we can quickly tell you if it is or not. You don't need to post names or anything just an auno setup which shows what is equipped at what level on breed and prof.
    BarginDealer The Trader
    Moretea The Enforcer
    Bahba The Adventurer
    Lesstea The Shade

General Knights of Ka

Quote Originally Posted by -Barg- View Post
    However wouldn't it be better that Devs spent the time eradicating the bugs that cause these unfair setups than spend time figuring out if it is possible or not.

I'm sure if a setup is posted on the forum we can quickly tell you if it is or not. You don't need to post names or anything just an auno setup which shows what is equipped at what level on breed and prof.
    2 parts, 1 the dev team does spend a good bit of time fixing the bugs that create exploit toons. The problem is they, just like you, are not all knowing, and have to be made aware of a bug before they can fix it. Exploited equipment is a major game breaking problem and very much worth the Dev Team's time to be shown so that they can locate any exploit that a player may have used and fix it so other players do not use it.

2, We're not all knowing either, most of the player base doesn't know what is and is not possible to equip as they dont take the effort to do it, going by what other players said is the cause of the problem in the first place. Not only that posting every player equip out in the open neglects one of AO's primary draws, twinking.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    2 parts, 1 the dev team does spend a good bit of time fixing the bugs that create exploit toons. The problem is they, just like you, are not all knowing, and have to be made aware of a bug before they can fix it. Exploited equipment is a major game breaking problem and very much worth the Dev Team's time to be shown so that they can locate any exploit that a player may have used and fix it so other players do not use it.
    I agree, that's why they should spend time fixing the exploits, they will reference the incidents which caused the exploits but do not need to be on call to inspect setups at the will of players petitioning other players. This is a standard process in any software development company. Someone logs a bug/exploit/whatever, dev assigned to investigate and fix issue for specific release after its been confirmed as a bug usually by support or QA. They will get the bug assigned at the correct time, they dont need to investigate every incident to see if there is a exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    2, We're not all knowing either, most of the player base doesn't know what is and is not possible to equip as they dont take the effort to do it, going by what other players said is the cause of the problem in the first place. Not only that posting every player equip out in the open neglects one of AO's primary draws, twinking.
    I think you will find that many will like the challenge if something is possible or not. Setups are available already for most of the hardest things to do with ones char anyway. Twinking will still require time and effort.
    BarginDealer The Trader
    Moretea The Enforcer
    Bahba The Adventurer
    Lesstea The Shade

General Knights of Ka

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast