Page 1 of 15 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - September 18th, 2009 - A start on Fixer issues

Funcom employee Friday with Means - September 18th, 2009 - A start on Fixer issues

Today we got what *should* be a final version of 18.2 to TestLive with hopes of this version making it to Live early next week.

18.2 is what I would refer to as a "limited" update for now for one reason:

In 18.2 the AO client is now being compiled in Visual Studio 2005 instead of 2003. This is necessary in our efforts to continue integrating the Dreamworld/Conan engine and continue to get it closer to the Live environment.

It is always risky making changes of this nature, so this update is what I would refer to as "limited" so we can watch it carefully for unexpected issues without having to also worry about content being possibly enjoyed in what we would term an "unexpected" manner. Early versions of this update had both the sender and receiver of personal tell messages immediately crashing to desktop...with this kind of random occurance we need to watch this update carefully. There will be another upate like this in October to make way for the future in-game mail system.

Even with the "limited" extent of this update there are some changes we have been looking forward to for some time. Fixers will start to see some progress on the Full Auto aspect of the balancing they require. Initially the "band-aid" fix for this issue was to add the skill to new weapons...which as we are all well aware failed spectacularly. It was always our intention to properly distribute Full Auto support accross the Fixer toolset and now the first steps of this process is making it to the live dimensions with FA support being added through nanos, new and old perks and personal research. Wake Up Call will also have a reduced recharge time for now. The ongoing adjustment of all debuffs that land on players will necessitate this likely being changed again. Full Auto support for Fixers will be coming through our updates to the AI perk-lines...but that should be coming in the same update as larger changes to all professions in the very near future. This will be the same update as the adjustments to run-speed which should hopefully restore Fixers to the masters of speed that they were always meant to be...but has slowly eroded over time with the addition of run-speed accross all professions.

Also in the update we will see the introuction of the new nightclub. This is a social update that has been needed and requested for many many years. This was not work that was strictly speaking "management expenditure-approved"...but when presented with screens of the old clubs and the new club I was in significantly less trouble. The nightclub will not be open on patch day but will open in grand fashion and with proper ceremony at a grand opening party in the coming weeks. There will be advance notice of this event in the launcher and in game as time grows near (Yes..Gridstream...we need to talk about this one! For those who aren't familiar with Gridstream...you should be! http://ww.gridstream.org). The same weeks (once confirmation of the stability of the new client has been confirmed) should also see the release of the Dark Ruins Solo and team experience we have been looking forward to for some time. This update of course also contains a raft of small bug-fixes to old issues and exploit fixes...eventually we hope to kill them all.

We are working hard to speed up the release of content through the fall...I can't wait for the new stuff to make it to test...getting this update out to Live will be a huge step in getting things rolling fast again.

Have a great weekend everyone!
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Means, I'm kind of confused about your post, will Dark Ruins be live with 18.2 goes to the live servers or will it be live after the system stability is confirmed?

(Ps that crash thing was semi Lols, I crashed macro no less then 4 times.)

PSS, 18.2 forums already please.
    Last edited by Technogen; Sep 18th, 2009 at 15:39:17.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

second? ^^

edit: bah, 3rd x)

now to read the post lol
    Last edited by heruharoth; Sep 18th, 2009 at 15:36:11.
    "You part the waters -- the same ones that I'm thirsty for. You invite your friends to tea, but when it's me you lock the door."

Not first

Zackkeep 220/27
    Emergencydoc 220/26
    Emercharms 220/20
    Emerfix 160/5
    Emermongo 150/18
    Emers 150/7
    Emersbuilder 112/2
    Emernukes 110/2
    Heroenf 76/8
    Emermage 59/6

Proud General of Elite Operations

yay first page!

and the crashing people through sending tells would have enabled totaly new kinds of pvp

Hello o/
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Quote Originally Posted by Nanostratege View Post
    and the crashing people through sending tells would have enabled totaly new kinds of pvp
    /tell XXX wanna duel ?
    XXX is currently offline ... blah blah blah ..

// Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Technogen View Post
    Means, I'm kind of confused about your post, will Dark Ruins be live with 18.2 goes to the live servers or will it be live after the system stability is confirmed?

(Ps that crash thing was semi Lols, I crashed macro no less then 4 times.)

PSS, 18.2 forums already please.
    The next update (18.2.1) will have Dark Ruins...not 18.2.0 which should be next week.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Gridpain View Post
    /tell XXX wanna duel ?
    XXX is currently offline ... blah blah blah ..

i rather ment it like tara becoming a: who can /tell the opponents faster ... would be a quick way to take out the heal.

Are ranged (aka jobe/hawk+onehander) advys/soldiers/fixers from tl3-5 now gonna be made to switch to a more cookie-cutter set-up with the incoming special changes? I know the plan was for FA/SA/AS to be put on the same timer to discourage hotswapping, but how about if they're on the same weapon (aka the booster) or on seperate weapons being duelled?

We don't need lower TLs becoming as cookie-cutter as TL7
    Deadfroobs - 18 agent- Work in progress
    Reidsangry - 30 enf - Work in progress
    Reidsmp - 76 mp
    Reidsagent - 95 agent/enf
    Reidsdrainz - 114 agent
    Reidscrat - 161 crat
    Reids - 218 crat
    Reidventurer - 220 advy
    Reidsma - 220 MA

Good arrangement - send the newly-recompiled code with little other changes to distract so any errors that pop up can almost certainly be linked to the change in compiler.

As for Dark Ruins, I think it is also good that it is not being pushed out just yet, as a lot of balancing seems to still be needed there, at least in the solo instance.

Also, do we have a new 'sit' emote coming? The Scientist in the 'Daily Missions' room seems able to do a proper upright sit in a chair position (when he is not standing up laughing).
    Last edited by vadagget; Sep 18th, 2009 at 16:06:33.
    I am Dagget

Means, how will the runspeed changes affect Adventurers, who also have traditionally had runspeed buffs?

By the way, the forum access issue with randomly being logged in with different user names, and often not being able to log in at all now seems to be fixed
    Plexor 220/23 Adventurer
    The Red Brotherhood

Account Created
    2001-06-29 19:30:30

First page! Looking forward to Dark Ruins and the new nightclub..
    Quote Originally Posted by -Plexor- View Post
    Means, how will the runspeed changes affect Adventurers, who also have traditionally had runspeed buffs?
    Don't nerf advy runspeed, please ^^
    Last edited by kenbutsu; Sep 18th, 2009 at 16:01:40. Reason: 'cause :)

Wink

first page too
    Shade lover (trox all the way :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Initially the "band-aid" fix for this issue was to add the skill to new weapons...which as we are all well aware failed spectacularly. It was always our intention to properly distribute Full Auto support accross the Fixer toolset and now the first steps of this process is making it to the live dimensions with FA support being added through nanos, new and old perks and personal research.
    A gun with +FA wasn't a good idea to start with anyway. At least for the long term. Do you have an idea how much +FA fixers will recieve from all this? From now they get +200 from perks. I hope they will get at least the +500 like it was initially planned so they can cap the recharge on envy.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Wake Up Call will also have a reduced recharge time for now. The ongoing adjustment of all debuffs that land on players will necessitate this likely being changed again.
    While you are at it, can you fix the typo on Experienced Survivor and extend its duration? Make it 1 hour or smth unless there's some reason behind the current 10 mins?
    blah

Why does nobody answer my PMs Means?
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

Quote Originally Posted by NoGoal View Post
    A gun with +FA wasn't a good idea to start with anyway. At least for the long term. Do you have an idea how much +FA fixers will recieve from all this? From now they get +200 from perks. I hope they will get at least the +500 like it was initially planned so they can cap the recharge on envy.
    Right now with the .6 changes fixers are getting 395 fa from this patch. 200 from hit and run 110 from accusition (sp) and 85 from shower with lead. (I missed that my 1st time looking at it)
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Page 1 of 15 123456789101112131415 LastLast