Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Vha.Chat and Vha.Net released

Vha.Chat and Vha.Net released

tl;dr: Yet another standalone chat client, scroll down for links

Vha.Chat and Vha.Net
    The chat client
    Vha.Chat is a new standalone Anarchy Online chat client that aims to replace AORC as the primary chat client.
    I hope to achieve this by creating a solid and much more feature complete implementation of Anarchy Online's chat.
    Already has Vha.Chat matched many of AORC's features and includes several AORC doesn't.

The main difference between AORC and this client:
    - Significant effort has been made to display AOML and Info Windows just like Anarchy Online does.
    - Full support for encoded messages (displays the tower and org msg. channel correctly)
    - Full support for system messages (offline tells, inbox full, /cc commands)
    - Completely open source with active development and a public roadmap
    - Popup windows for a single channel or private conversation

The chat library
    The library (Vha.Net) is a heavily cleaned and fixed version of VhaBot's AoLib.
    Most notable is the addition of full support for remote private channels and system messages.
    Additionally many shutdown/disconnect related bugs have been fixed.

Links

Contributors
    Developers
    Vha.Chat wouldn't be the state it is in today without the help of the community.
    Are you a developer and feel like helping out? Read more about it here.

Alpha testers
    But even as a user you too can help out. With Vha.Chat growing bigger we've increased our need for testers.
    Among the links there is a link to a list of alpha builds (top one is the latest).
    We'd be most grateful if you're willing to take the risk of taking these for a spin instead of the stable builds.
    You can report bugs here on the forum, by PM or even on IRC (#coders @ irc.funcom.com).

Known issues
    Weird characters
    Output produced by certain bots (like VhaBot) may appear incorrect in Vha.Chat.
    Unfortunately, this is related to a bug in these bots and a bug fix in Vha.Chat.
    A fix has been made for VhaBot and will be included in its next release.

No colors
    By default all colors are stripped from scripts and bots in the main chat window.
    This is working as intended and often greatly improves the readability of bot output.
    In 1.1 and earlier; this behavior can be changed by manually editing Config.xml.
    In 1.2 and later; this behavior can be changed in the options interface.

Can't select
    There are some known issues with selecting and copying text from the chat window.
    I've been unable to track down the source of this and doesn't seem to be reproducible on my machine.
    If you're having this issue, please reply with your OS and IE version. Also mention if the issue is constant or only at random times.
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Jul 16th, 2011 at 13:11:17.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Keylogger omgz
    first!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

Hey Candy Van

Client works great, very slick. I got 2 requests tho:

1. Ability to customize colors

2. Ability to ignore channels
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Note that a mobile version is being done using the same lib
    RK1 - Malaxia - NM Bureaucrat (220/30/70) - Master of soloing
    RK1 - Telbruk - Solitus Soldier (220/30/59) - Mostly harmless
    RK1 - Telbewbs - Solitus Doctor (220/30/65) - Raiding assistant
    RK1 - Telbot - Atrox Adventurer (59/4) - Lovechild raid bot
    RK1 - Sumonia - NM Meta-Physicist (83/6) - Mochies totem
    RK1 - Coustaille - NM Engineer (52/0) - Totw Twink
    Test - Mala - Solitus Agent (220/30/70) - Council of Testers

President of Cosmic Forklift Inc. & General of Primal Evolution & Live Liaison of Council of Testers

Everything you need for your crat is here
    Testlive fun : MMOATP and more! Join us!

Seems very nice.

Just a couple of personal things that i'd like to see:

/o <text> to talk to org - No idea if that's at all possible, but would be handy. (I use it all the time ingame ;p)

And slightly modified background colour of the program. When i join a bot I get white text which is quite hard to read. (And yellow text ;x)

And Itemref would rock ;p (When players link items >.>)
    Last edited by Entventurer; Jan 3rd, 2010 at 21:19:13.
    214/20 Adv - Entventurer
    217+ Engi - Entity206
    220/20 Doc - Entagain
    220 Shade - Reali
    Orgless & Stripped.
    Awesome tradeskillers.

How on earth do I ignore OT OOC.

>.>
    214/20 Adv - Entventurer
    217+ Engi - Entity206
    220/20 Doc - Entagain
    220 Shade - Reali
    Orgless & Stripped.
    Awesome tradeskillers.

Nice work so far. Looks great!

Some features/things I noticed:

1. Color/background color customization would be awesome. Some colors are really hard to see against the white background.

2. Can the offline buddy list not be expanded by default, and instead collapsed? People logging in will notice their right side menu spamming like crazy when they first open the program, while looks cools and all, but might eventually prove distracting, and overall just annoying after a while. On that note, maybe add [+] [-] collapse/expand tree buttons, to drive home the point that those menu's are expandable? (up to you)

3. When *I* log in, both my main window and my info window are always prefaced by the following:
    -----------------
    This program cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
    Check your Internet connection. Try visiting another website to make sure you are connected.

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

More information

-----------------
    Before actually posting the actual data (be it a channel or w/e should be in the text window). My guess is that you are loading a web page in the info and main window in addition to displaying inc. chat from the server, but it seems like that connection is throwing an error?

4. When I was closing the program (thinking it would quit), it simply popped up the logon screen instead. I was hoping you could make the quit button (the X) an actual quit button, and maybe design disconnect/new connection buttons elsewhere on the screen. (Not a big deal in the long run, just a usability thing; no one like having to tell their programs to close...twice ).

Suggested new feature:

5. **Excellent** work on the ability to have *multiple* info windows up <3 vs AORC's single info window ability. Along those lines: Is it possible to have it so that tells could be double-clickable, and they would open up in their own chat window (the ability to have more than one info window is already there)? You could use the programming of the info window, and change the layout/style a bit. Having seperate windows available for tells would severely cut down on the crap-load of mistells I have when using AORC (from in-game, I'm used to only needing to switch channels [i almost always use the external/separate tell window when talking to multiple ppl/long convos, or /r for one person ftw] so aorc just kills meh ). No big deal though -- just a thought.

Hmm, and if you need help: lemme know. I do vb.net and some visual c/c++ as well.

Other than that: again, great work so far!

I'll probably be very busy the next 3-4 weeks, so I'll have to queue the larger features until after that.

For now, I had an hour to kill so I made some minor improvements and called it RC3:
    - Fixed a possible race error (threading related)
    - Changed the method of pre-loading the html template, should be faster and less error prone (should fix errors for some too I hope)
    - Added addbuddy/rembuddy support
    - Added support for /o to talk to the org channel
    - Enabled the +/- buttons on the right panel
    - Keep offline section in right panel collapsed by default

Download link updated in main post.

As for people wishing to help out.
    Feel free to grab a copy of the code from SVN and see what you can change/improve.
    I'll accepted patches (preferably generated with tortoisesvn) and stuff it into the main release.
    Only thing I really ask is for features to be clean and complete (handles faulty input and idiot users).
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Jan 4th, 2010 at 13:58:44.
    Formerly Vhab.

Nice.
    When will we see you ingame again? :P
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."
    I am Luciesa - Octowuss - Ssupotco

still addicted since 2001-07-03 11:55:38

gj mate, mac version plx?!
    22023 Docine Eternalist
    22023 aAnon Soldier
    22030 Nonih Crat
    219 ? 19 Nonstopp Shade
    220 ? 30 Noonkeep Keppur

›»» People use the freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought they barely use.

Quote Originally Posted by Docine View Post
    gj mate, mac version plx?!
    I've got a test setup on Linux atm and will work out mono compatibility (there are a few issues to work out still).
    This should cover mac too I think.

In total I have quite a few things I still want to do, but it'll be a few weeks till I have time again.
    Stay tuned
    Formerly Vhab.

Had a few hours to kill, I bring you a new release:

- Beefed up the graphics in VhaBot.Chat a bit, a new top bar has been added and the forms have been given icons.
    - Added support for itemref:// through Auno.org (will switch to Xyphos.com when the new version goes live )
    - Changed closing/disconnect behavior to be more intuitive

Attempted to support Linux through mono, however it seems the implementation of their WebBrowser control is severely lacking and bugged.
    I also attempted to run it through wine, but wasn't too successful either.
    On the long term I do intend to get rid of displaying content using WebBrowser, but for now this is the most convenient and easiest implementation.
    Don't except Linux/Mac compatibility soon.
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Jan 23rd, 2010 at 20:49:31.
    Formerly Vhab.

Version 1.0 up!

- Name changed to Vha.Chat to prevent confusion with VhaBot
    - Added many pretty icons
    - Added mute/unmute support for channels
    - Added context menu's to the right panel as shortcuts to /commands
    - Ordered the character selection list
    - Added a small notice when a character is already online in the selection list
    - Fixed a bug related to text window extraction
    Formerly Vhab.

Ooh dear, versions flying out of the door!

Version 1.1 up!

- Fixed a rather exponential memory leak
    - Sorted characters list and right panel contents alphabetically
    - Added input history (defaults to 25 last used commands/messages)
    - Added encoded text support (tower channels will no longer display gibberish)
    Formerly Vhab.

Just tried it out... Nice one

Request:
    Custom colors, please... Yellow on white background for example is pretty much impossible to see
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

After I ran the chat client for first time, channels reported as muted (and I do have them muted ingame) still showed people talking... Not sure what is causing it.
    Is it possible to add some options like being able to remember dimension and char to log in? Also I am used to having friendlist on the left side of the screen, being able to move it would rock!
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."

Need some support for custom colors, either via gui or other means. As it is it hurts the eyes to use :x
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Changing colors is on the roadmap, but will need some fundamental changes first.
    Incidentally, the main post has been updated with a roadmap.
    I probably forgot a few things, but it does show where my focus will be going first for the next few weeks.
    Formerly Vhab.

thumbs up

A minor release today, 1.1.1
    - Gave a few dropdown menus a more sensible default value than empty
    - Fixed an input history related bug
    - Added guests section to the right panel which displays all characters in your private channel
    - Added an invite button to directly invite people to your private channel from your friends list

Quote Originally Posted by octopuss View Post
    thumbs up
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by octopuss View Post
    After I ran the chat client for first time, channels reported as muted (and I do have them muted ingame) still showed people talking... Not sure what is causing it.
    Is it possible to add some options like being able to remember dimension and char to log in? Also I am used to having friendlist on the left side of the screen, being able to move it would rock!
    I'll have to take a look at that bug. Could be the server no longer does server-side muting and I'll have to do it client side.
    Will have to do some investigation.

The other requests are on the roadmap \o/
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Feb 3rd, 2010 at 11:11:07.
    Formerly Vhab.

Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast