Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ditch Small Client now

Ditch Small Client now

We all know that there is no plus to maintaining both a small and large client for the game in this day and age. On the other hand, keeping the small client around creates lots of issues for players who start on it and then upgrade and are confused why they can't access expansion zones. It also creates headaches for CS, and a -huge- slowdown in generating testlive patches.

Just immediately make only the large client available for download. That way, down the line, it will be much easier to transition to only large client compiles for live, there being fewer and fewer active small clients running.

/signed

There are still countries with poor Internet but they have more than enough money to pay for the subscription. Like South Africa.

Is there a way to make the client smaller in easy ways? For example when I installed it on my MP3 player, I removed all the sound files. Just delete things from the full one to make it smaller? Instead of developing two clients?
    Anarrina is just doing her job. Way nicer in IRC.|| High aptitudes in some things != social skills.
    "Don't debate with a troll. They are impervious and will bring you down to their level; in height range to beat you with their thick little skulls."
    Audible taste of Africa.
    One string.| How to bring a sense of accomplishment back. "Fr00bs play AO; sl00bs work it."
    Why so serious?
    Stick What? You mean there are not enough PvP-ers ... to get the BS running? ... how come ...
    Aeliniyah : Where exactly? ... it requires only 6+6 people to start a round of BS, yet they never run ...

Yeah i agree, with the updates that might becoming soon there will be no need for a small client... even if you are going to try the game i always recomend the large client it just saves in the long run.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Qualinas
    You're kinda slow, aren't you, Mr. Nov09?

Well, its not everyday when I google for funcom or access funcom.com.
    Oh noes j00 want me to bring my "Join date: 2004" main to pwn yo? lols @ forum pvp

No reason to support both clients. They are already free what more can you want, lol.

Reduce QA and Dev time wasted and drop the small client NOW. Just stop supporting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

...but I run the small client and so do countless other froobs.

Or is this just a not-technically-breaking-the-rules way of saying that you want us all gone?

Quote Originally Posted by Matammyr View Post

Or is this just a not-technically-breaking-the-rules way of saying that you want us all gone?

Or its a way of saying why don't you download the larger client so that Funcoms work load doesn't get doubled all the time. It's not like it will make it take up more HD space then any other game out there these days.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

Yeah, sorry. Fr00b here. There large one is more stable or at least was. I haven't used the small in years except on my MP3 player I think.
    Anarrina is just doing her job. Way nicer in IRC.|| High aptitudes in some things != social skills.
    "Don't debate with a troll. They are impervious and will bring you down to their level; in height range to beat you with their thick little skulls."
    Audible taste of Africa.
    One string.| How to bring a sense of accomplishment back. "Fr00bs play AO; sl00bs work it."
    Why so serious?
    Stick What? You mean there are not enough PvP-ers ... to get the BS running? ... how come ...
    Aeliniyah : Where exactly? ... it requires only 6+6 people to start a round of BS, yet they never run ...

Paranoid much?
    -Bugs
    Test Dimension

Problems with "patch not found" error while trying to get on Testlive?
    See Technogen's "Halp, I can't patch to test!" Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Ayria View Post

Or its a way of saying why don't you download the larger client so that Funcoms work load doesn't get doubled all the time. It's not like it will make it take up more HD space then any other game out there these days.
    Typical response.

Quote Originally Posted by GenShay View Post
    Yeah, sorry. Fr00b here. There large one is more stable or at least was. I haven't used the small in years except on my MP3 player I think.
    I've never had any stability issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BugsCoT View Post
    Paranoid much?
    Years of playing enfo will do that to you. Oh, and the six years or so of completely uninterrupted persecution of all things froob by paid players.

Oh come on, this isnt about paid vs froob. This is about better use of dev time. Right now it takes them twice as long as it should. Litterally.

The small client is only missing the playfield data. Since all expansion content (items) will be encountered they are included. It is a ridiculous waste of very stretched dev time.

Dump it and force everyone onto one version, maintain that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeeeeek View Post
    and everyone knows solsdiers dont think they just cast ams then roll face in keyboard for maximum efficiency
    Quote Originally Posted by Means
    I would have loved to see 18.0 finish up faster...but some "interesting" ways of playing the game were discovered that slowed the process slightly...in the same way as the pope is slightly Catholic.

I foresee that going very smoothly.

signed.
    ^\_/
    O o
    This is Einkaufswagen! Send Einkaufswagen to all your friends to help him to world domination!

My System: Asus N75SF
    CPU: Intel Intel Core I7-2670QM @ 2,2GHz | Graphics: GeForce GT 555M 2GB | RAM: 8GB | Sound: Realtek Onboard | HDD: 750GB 5400 U/Min | Drives: BD-DVD RW Combo | Monitor: 1920x1080 | Mouse: Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 | Keyboard: Notebook | Speakers: Built-in Bang & Olufsen | Headset: Sennheiser PC 131| OS: Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

Lightbulb

Maybe an idea to replace all clients with 1 client when the new engine comes out

Yeah with todays internet connections downloading large client isn't a problem even in 3rd world.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    Yeah with todays internet connections downloading large client isn't a problem even in 3rd world.
    You know this because you live in which country and have been to which other ones?
    Audible taste of Africa.
    Why so serious?

I play anarchy on my phone which only has a 5 gig memory, so i dont support this.

Kidding. Bump.
    Hailing from Kirkland Washington
    Enfraam 217/21 NT
    10,000 levels

Maybe™ is the new Soon™.
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    At heart I am a vindictive, heartless, ruthless bastard and behaving in any other way is an effort for me.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Our goal is to have a closed Beta running this year.™

Quote Originally Posted by GenShay View Post
    You know this because you live in which country and have been to which other ones?
    Yes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast