Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - March 26th, 2010 - Amnesia...please.

Funcom employee Friday with Means - March 26th, 2010 - Amnesia...please.

Before I get into anything else, Kintaii has been interviewed by a German Gaming site. The article can be found here in English here:

http://www.pirate-gaming.de/forum/vi...php?f=19&t=288

Original German version here:

http://www.pirate-gaming.de/specials...enior-designer

Lucky Waldgeist didn't have to translate that one

This week:

Every week we try and rehash the events of the last week to keep you all up to date with where we are with the many different initiatives we are working on at the moment. Sometimes sitting down to remember the events of the week is a horrible masochistic exercise as the week would have been better disposed of by my goldfish-like short-term memory.

I had hopes of being able to get a version of the new Collector instance on the Test dimension. Kintaii has outdone himself on this one getting it to work and I truly believe it is one of the most interesting encounters we have added to the game during my time here...and I'm certain I've never seen anything like it in any other game. We have been spending extra time during the last couple weeks making sure it works well and most importantly is fun. Our build process didn't like it. Our build process crashed any time we tried to include the playfield. Any debugging we could manage did not make any sense at all. For three days Macrosun and I banged our heads against the wall trying to get rid of the data corruption to avoid having to make the playfield again from scratch. A three day long trial of ten minutes of effort followed by 30 minutes of debugging followed by "How about now?"....and the inevitable "nope". After 3 full days, during which Macrosun quit a record 218 times, it was finally not fixed...but "fooled" into working. I owe Kintaii many, many cigarettes after this week. If it feels like this kind of thing happens all the time...it is because it does. It is now on TestLive in the final stages of testing...any volunteers and feedback will be greatly appreciated. Be warned...it isn't easy.

Things that DID get done this week:

Flaptoot's visa application was completed and processed for his trip to China to manage the production of the new versions of all the old AO heads. Full production begins with a team of ten artists + Flaptoot on April 5th in the Funcom Beijing Studio. We have been waiting a long long time to get this done and it is very exiciting to see it start. The head of the Beijing Office is a big AO fan and he was a huge help in pushing this issue for us. Some times it feels like we are some kind of "secret society". We are everywhere

Addtional polish and mechanics were added to the new "Collector" instance. New version on TestLive...entrance beside Instanced Pande. Try Try Try. I will watch you die die die.

Genele drove herself to the need for therapy in working through the daily missions and making sweeping improvements all week. Again...please give them a go on Test. I think (might be wrong here) the rewards are finally there to see...and argue about.

Mstrbstrd worked hard (after a couple 30th birthday inspired plague days off) on redoing more assets for Borealis.

The render team is getting closer and closer to an actual "real" client and the new build process is starting to smell close. I can't wait to have people besides us and the staff of Duke Nukem Forever trying this. Ha. Is it as funny when I do it?

Have a great weekend. See you in-game
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

smörgosboard
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

I guess I'll play on Test today

Edit: WTB more people on Test to test The Collector. Transfer your toons to Test people.. or log on to the existing TL7's.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Mar 26th, 2010 at 20:42:27.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

5th.. WOW - First Page
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Last?

No new engine shots?
    Last edited by Ekarona; Mar 26th, 2010 at 20:20:42.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Sounds great

I hate to let another controversial cat out of the bag after I got all riled up about GTH... but are you guys ever planning on looking over PVP mechanics at low levels? Lotta interesting issues I'd like to talk to y'all about.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

/me yawns.

finally!

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Funcom employee

Late night translation *shakes an angry fist*

Funcom employee

I saw it!
    Yey! Funsies!

Finally my nanomage will look like Picard that's stolen Geordie's visor and Data's makeup <:
    Transcendence
    ----
    220 iii "Quilluck" iiiiii :: iii "Quillster" i 165
    074 iii "Tradeursoul" i :: i "Fourthaid" ii 220
    ----

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Waldgeist View Post
    Late night translation *shakes an angry fist*
    Next week is "Wednesday with Means". Sorry about this.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Quilluck View Post
    Finally my nanomage will look like Picard that's stolen Geordie's visor and Data's makeup <:
    Only 9/10 for New Generation references. You could have worked a "make it so" into there if you really tried.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake

Thanks for the update...

AO team, Keep the spirit up in there... Can't wait to see what you're coming up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Farquaad
    Some of you may die, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...on redoing more assets for Borealis...
    What does that mean? Did I miss something?
    Aleah, MA :: Zhoie, Doctor :: Scarlett, Soldier
    Neutral, (former) President of Art of War

Dipping my toe back in, thinking of returning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    For the record, this is an exploit I am totally cool with people using. :P

That face looks more realistic than the other ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    Only 9/10 for New Generation references. You could have worked a "make it so" into there if you really tried.
    Fail.

You outdid yourselves with that nanomage head
    Waiting for a cure.

Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast