Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks for RP/PvP event in 4-Holes.

Thanks for RP/PvP event in 4-Holes.

It was really fun. I had to leave before it ended though because my arm started hurting like hell like it always does >.<

So I don't know how it ended! (For all I know it's still going)

There was a surprisingly low turnout of players though. Seemed like it was 10 vs 10 players for most of the event, spread over all level ranges. I would have thought a lot more people would be interested in an event like that. It had RP, PvP and general experiences that we normally never get to have in AO.

For those of you that weren't there:

It was located at the bridge that leads to Andromeda, south in 4 Holes. Clans were on the north side of bridge with special Clan fighters that kept the strategy flowing and a lot of clan guards and clan turrets. Omnis had the same layout on the south side. The main objective was to destroy a building on the other side of the bridge though I didn't get to see that as I had to leave early.

The bridge was mined and both clan and omnis were trying to force they way onto the bridge and take pop-shot at each other. I got a few kills but I got killed twice myself. Once because the clan turrets suddenly thought I was hostile so they kept aggro on me for like 10 minutes. I tried zoning twice but every time omnis pulled out of range of the clan turrets, those turrets would attack me.

The bridge was mined and things would often explode and cause mayhem. People would mech up to attack the enemy turrets but some had anti-mech weapons as well. Guards from both factions would at times zerg towards the enemy side to try and wipe them out but it kept going back and forth.

Apart from a low turnout of players and less than helpful friendly turrets and guards, the event was really fun. I had a hard time enjoying it as much as I should because moving my mouse 1 inch feels like breaking my wrist in 3 places but I suffered through it and got to be part of something that hopefully will happen a lot more often.

Next time though, if you see a world-wide message saying that people are needed for an assault on a hostile base and such, please try and turn up. I'm still a bit shocked that so few turned up

This was the kind of experience that I originally started playing AO for. It was really nice to see it again.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Mar 29th, 2010 at 21:22:03.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

holy hell that sounds fun! I always miss the fun stuff anymore anyone have screenies?

o wait, I'm on Rimor..nvm
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Ya maybe if it had ben advertised. Ashame really sounded like loads of fun.
    We really need more of these events in game.
    Big "T"
    President of Nocturnal Fear

Quote Originally Posted by RedWatr View Post
    holy hell that sounds fun! I always miss the fun stuff anymore anyone have screenies?

o wait, I'm on Rimor..nvm
    I took 1 screenshot but I just looked at it and I think I must have been lagging graphically speaking or something because all turrets, npc's and players are gone on the screenshot. So it's basically just a lovely picture of an empty bridge
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    I took 1 screenshot but I just looked at it and I think I must have been lagging graphically speaking or something because all turrets, npc's and players are gone on the screenshot. So it's basically just a lovely picture of an empty bridge
    Hard to find good photos of your imaginary friends huh?
    Fapfap - 220/19 Fixer
    Fappers - 220/22 NT
    Autoafk - 220/21 Crat
    Hisap - 220/20 Shade
    Autofil - 212/11 Enf
    Hisap1 - 211/13 Sol
    Autofap - 211/9 Agt

I heard about it the day before but, knew it would be at a bad time for a US player to attend and ofc I wasn;t wrong and missed it.

things like this need to happen atleast once every patch cycle

I was there in the end, friend told me about this action and it was really fun, better than BS or NW
    They should make more actions like this one, but I would like to more infos when and where, I forgot to ask friend where he heard a bout it.
    First level 1 soldier with BOC in Anarchy Online<---[CGS] project
    Owned and killed tl1/2 NW for months, time to leave and give chance to clan "twinks".
    First trader with 100% JAME ql 141 at level30 at rk1
    Clan PVP org[1-220] in one line
    [Questra]: well i hate omnis having side xp [Questra]: but i'm afraid to spoil your fun i'm only gonna plant neutral bases at tl2 now, so you'll have to piss the neuts off if you want to zerg lowbie sites
    Darkirbiska/Darkirbis/Marburg1111/Mavherick/Irbiska/Ultimater2/Ultimater/Ilubtower and some froobs....wtb more slots [retired]

damnit I keep missing the action...last events I made it to were the Borealis Freedom Fighters that walked through bore killing all the omni guards like a year and a half ago, and then some weird development in 2ho a while back as well where omni guards started pouring in along with a juggernaut and I believe clan guards were outside the gates.

Anyway I miss stuff like that happening regularly. I'm glad they seem to be picking back up on the action again.
    Mcbtj 220/30/70 Adv
    Mcbtk 220/30/70 Fixer
    Syntactician 220/23/70 Doc
    Clyptica 170/24/42 NT
    Fluffydeer 60/6/14 Enf
    SPIRIT

well, only went there at the end. First with my 110 ... but got alphaed by the guards and the GM while looking for a target. Then came with my TL7and had some fun... but flagged pvp forces crat to keep a large part of toolset unused.

Well, indeed there wasnt a lot of people... but zerg wars would have ruin the event... with all the CC and lag ..
    // Break time //

/\/\ Newcomers Alliance General and LMAA co-founder /\/\
    Froob for 3 years :
    Gridpain, Nfurter, Slayie, Forcedevente, Asafart, Theshrike, Whipingwillow, Malaucrane, Karmapolice.

Sloob since 2009 :
    Coredumped,Needleworkr,Weepinwilljr,Gridpainjr,Bet amale,Lackwit,Dusttodust, Ouvreboite,Boohoohoo,Asafurt,Whatsthat,Aziraphale
    220, 220, 200, 164, 150, 116, 110, 82, 70, 57, 40, 21 ...

I will pass this thread along to Events
    Guardian Venachar
    Public Forums Moderator - Deputy Team Lead | Professionals Liaison
    Forums Team | Community Relations Department | Advisors of Rubi-Ka

I saw the message on the IRRK wire but unfortunately couldn't attend. I think the remote location and players not knowing the IRRK sometimes has live reports did not do much good for the turnout of players. But then again there's not much that can be done about that.

Not a lot of people know that such things happen (RP/PvP events) so I guess all we can do to promote it is tell your friends when it happens It's good to see events happening more often lately, keep it up!

Wow, wish I was there

The event in progress was actually announced multiple times in the IRRK Newswire, in Clan and Omni OOC Channel as well as via City PA system (zonewide broadcast) in clan and omni city.

Thanks for your kind words Wrangeline and co.

Most normal people mute IRRK and OOC's. They're full of carebear.
    214/20 Adv - Entventurer
    217+ Engi - Entity206
    220/20 Doc - Entagain
    220 Shade - Reali
    Orgless & Stripped.
    Awesome tradeskillers.

Then it is a good thing that the so-called PA announcements use the System Channel, right?

Anyway, missed that one, would have been nice to use it to touch base with some of the RPers on this dim, ah well, there's always next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lylith View Post
    Then it is a good thing that the so-called PA announcements use the System Channel, right?

Anyway, missed that one, would have been nice to use it to touch base with some of the RPers on this dim, ah well, there's always next time.
    Too bad not everyone is always in a major city

Quote Originally Posted by Devdas View Post
    The event in progress was actually announced multiple times in the IRRK Newswire, in Clan and Omni OOC Channel as well as via City PA system (zonewide broadcast) in clan and omni city.

Thanks for your kind words Wrangeline and co.
    as bad as it would be for RP letting players know about such events on the forums a day or 2 before they happen would be really nice. Some people might actually might plan plan their online time for it. Not just in the Rp sections of the forums as some people who RP (myself included) don't check them very often anymore cause the story has not had much progression in the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Fixietrox View Post
    might actually might plan plan their online time for it.
    Redundant is redundant
    Sorry, it had to be done

It is true though that it's really hard to find a good sweet-spot in terms of when and how to let people know of a RP event. RP events are usually supposed to be a "spur of the moment" kind of thing. Especially when it's about surprise attacks and such. So letting people know very early, through many different channels, would ruin the "spur of the moment" aspect to it. It's also important to balance when and how to advertise these things so that we don't get too few or too many showing up at the event. If there's too few people, it wont be much fun. If there are too many, the event might turn into a bit of a farce and it might lag a lot.

I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about this and I don't have much experience with hosting such events either so what I'm about to suggest is.. supposed to be taken with a grain of salt:

I think it might be a good idea to deal with the "advertising" in two stages. The first stage involves using the correct RolePlaying channels so that those who are truly interested in RP gets this information first and can handle it with respect. Those who care about such events will have these channels open and will monitor them for such messages. How early these messages should be broadcast depends on how much a "spur of the moment" you want the event to be and also how many people you want to attend.

The second stage of the "advertisement" is that a more public message is sent on more mainstream and commonly used channels when the event is close to starting IF the event-hosters see that way to few people have turned up at that point. If few people shows up even with system messages sent in Major Cities, posting such messages "server wide" or at least to more trafficked zones might attract more people. Kinda.. tailoring the amount of zones and channels used with how many people you hope to attract. Something which no doubt requires a fair bit of experience on the event-host's part.

I have no idea of the technical problems of selecting specific zones to send such system messages and I also have no idea if everything I just said is already standard procedure. I'm just thinking out loud here
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Mar 30th, 2010 at 22:37:56.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

happened today on rk2...was fun ....about 15 clans showed up and 5 or so omnis

Quote Originally Posted by Entventurer View Post
    Most normal people mute IRRK and OOC's. They're full of carebear.
    Quoted player is too cool for school.
    'A fearsome enemy, that one friend who does not mirror but mocks when mockery is needed.'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast