Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best MMO-event I've ever seen.

Best MMO-event I've ever seen.

I have never seen an event like the one we just had in Avalon. Creating and managing that event must have been a LOT of work. I would like to thank those that worked on this event and also all the players that showed up.

A lot of players were flagged but people still didn't start ganking each other, which was nice. It truly was us versus aliens.

Rambling description of the event:

The event started at 18:00 GMT. A lot of defense-towers were placed in a big circle and in the middle there was a high level boss that seemed immune to our damage.

Specially named aliens (ARK's) were controlling flying alien crafts (fighters). I have not seen those before and they were really cool. I want one of those!

Waves and waves and waves of huge number of aliens were spawning in the area. Starting out in very low level and slowly but surely became higher and higher level.

Special dropship would come and spawn aliens and a few bosses here and there that dropped armor-bots. First ql 100 bots, then 200, then 250. Most people there were part of different raids (I think there were 3 raids running) and many bots dropped from each boss. After raid we rolled bots and everyone seemed to get at least 2 bots each of various types and QL's.

There were special drones and such that had special attacks like publicly selecting 1 person to attack and then people would have to heal that person. Orbital strikes. Seeking Drone-bombs like you see in s42 west side. Some special attack I have never seen before which looked like an expanding bubble of doom that killed a few people that didn't run away when the warning was sounded.

I mean.. there was so much stuff happening that it's impossible to mention it all and do it justice. It was mayhem but it felt like a controlled mayhem. It lasted for like.. 2++ hours. Nonstop killing. My arm hurts like hell!!!

After dealing with the special aliens 1 by 1 and all the swarms of adds and so on, we eventually made our way in between the alien towers and finally got to kill off those special flying crafts, which then made the last boss take enough damage for us to kill him.

When the last boss finally died.. it wasn't over!

Now we got pummled by explosives from orbit and we had to dodge those a bit. Then the dropship came back and dropped the very last boss, which dropped ql 300 bots.

I think that entire event was a total of maaany thousands of aliens dead. The whole area was carpeted with the corpses of aliens.

The share scope and complexity of this event FAR overshadows anything I have seen in any MMO to date. It was AWESOME!

People kept saying that those responsible for this event must have worked very hard at it. It shows.

My favorite moment was when I shouted for everone to attack the same flying vehicle and 3 sec after I shouted that, they ALL came after me! One of them started spamming double-nukes in my face, which wasn't nice.

Anyway, enough rambling. It was awesome and a HUGE kudos to the people that hosted this event.

Please post any screenshots you may have taken. I will go look at mine now and see if there are any worth posting.
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Mar 31st, 2010 at 22:50:12.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

Wow. *Jealous*
    Uni "Unixint80" Idoru, 206/13 Neutral NT Veteran of Shattered Dreams
    What I've Got My Perk Setup My Nuke Setup (All slightly outdated)

FREE BOREALIS!!!

Had a lot of fun as well! Died about 4 times, never seen so much heal agg on rk! and yes bump for the ai ships! I'd pay paid points for them!

Talking

Was this 'event' announced?
    Hadn't heard of it, and would've loved to take part in

Quote Originally Posted by imthefist View Post
    Yes it was announced over IRRK quite a few times and was also posted on forums here http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=572552

Quote Originally Posted by imthefist View Post
    Oh yes

2 threads here on forum, one of them is actually just below this thread. Many ingame messages were given as well on the IRRK channel. Maybe elsewhere as well but I found out about it on forum and then ingame with several broadcasts about it, starting a few hours before the event.

I tried promoting it myself as well by posting the message ingame in channels where people would see them, since a lot of people don't have the IRRK channel turned on. I knew that very few people would turn up simply judging by how people reacted to it when I mentioned it. Also because of how I have seen people wanting to do inf missions rather than an event if the inf missions equals more stats for their characters. A lot of people wont even join any events at all unless they know for a fact that there will be good loot there.

So to try and make sure that more people would attend, I posted about it in shopping channels a few times and tried talking people I know into attending. I don't know if more people turned up as a result of that but I thought it was worth a shot
    Last edited by Wrangeline; Mar 31st, 2010 at 23:14:06.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

mm Geuss I should check the 'announcement' board more

These events seem to happen when im at work! The alien attacks arent new, but the way its done is a bit more inventive which is promising to hear about.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Today at 18:32:45.. Reason: constantly mistyping someone else's name in an attempt to belittle them in harassment

Ok, Wrangleline now youve made me angry....2 pvp event threads in 2 days and I miss both...

Now someone tell me, would it be possible to automate the events and make them permanent?
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    your an idiot

Gah, this would've been so much fun to join in on. Nerf me missing it ;<
    Probably "Parthelius" Hungover 220/30/70 Martial Artist
    Muff "Parthelia" Diver
    220/23/70 Trader
    Oh "Snippetty" Snap 218/22/67 Enforcer

President of Transcendence

Was event even announced at top of each section of the forums?
    Major "Grimclaw" Sinister Solitus - Enforcer | Alucard "Opigrim" Ashwell Opifex - Shade | Queen "Shoomi" Hex Opifex - Keeper

Aye, nice event!
    nice drop
    Last edited by Everglide; Apr 1st, 2010 at 08:02:48.

Thank you for your kind words. An event is always a lot of work but an event like this this multitudes larger and more taxing to organize. So it helps us a lot to receive feedback from you guys. Especially if it such a positive feedback. I made sure that the people involved in creating this will notice your post.

At first I thought this was cool too, especially the flying alien crafts. But 15 hours later killing the same boss for 60th time it got pretty repetitive and we left.

And maybe a certain ark should try act a bit more neutral next time

Nice event but keep it shorter next time.

Minova:220:30:doc
    Looke:220:30:adv
    Winova:174:24:sold
    Rinova:168:23:nt
    Meanova:126:15:trader
    Meenova:95:10:agent
    Redemption

Glad everyone enjoyed it and I hope all the arks that worked towards this have seen this thread.

A few facts about the event:

The entire event was planned in the time between first announcement in forum thread and the first player arriving at the base. (about 2hours 30)

Total length of the event was 4 hours (not including pre-event announcements)

The event was announced in 2 forum posts, 6 IRRK newscasts and 4 posts in each faction leader and OOC channel in game.

A total of 36 bots where dropped during the 4 hours, all of assorted type and quality.

A large number of aliens where killed, looking at over a thousand (so many that I spent the first half the night dreaming about aliens...)

The event contained all the bits and pieces of regular alien raids plus a few new bits.

Hopefully we can get these large long duration events to happen in a semi regular basis and we're always trying to get new things to throw into the mix.

That said regular raids will still have special things happening just not as many different things as the big events.

damnit I missed it yet again. I'm like 0/5 on all the recent events :/ Oh well hopefully there will still be plenty more to come.
    Mcbtj 220/30/70 Adv
    Mcbtk 220/30/70 Fixer
    Syntactician 220/23/70 Doc
    Clyptica 170/24/42 NT
    Fluffydeer 60/6/14 Enf
    SPIRIT

Thanks for the list of facts Pheats
    I was working from my memory which was a bit scrambled after several hours on nonstop alien bashing.
    Veteran of Equilibrium

This sounds awesome. Great to see the event team is working again, hope to see more that I might be ingame to enjoy But yesterday it was sadly not possible
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangeline View Post
    Wow, looks like everyday's life on Tabula Rasa, near control points, when it was alive.

Seriously, those things (or at least similar to it) should be in game by default, not just as some kind of special event.

P.S.
    Ah yes. Give some of that to us on RK2 as well.
    Last edited by -Klod-; Apr 1st, 2010 at 13:43:08.
    Renowned jester of the double AS Tigress

MP in sneak eNSDed me and did about 20k damage in 10-12 seconds

I wish I had had time to come to this one but if you're gonna make these events at 18:00gmt all the time then I'm screwed when it comes to my timezone =/
    Squad Commander of Paragon

Kaelde ~ little gimpy engi of doom
    Ecrisi ~ Even squishier than Kae, if that was at all possible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast