Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: RK2 towerwars - is it dead?

Tower Wars - it's not dead, Jim!

I've heard quite a few people claiming tower wars are dead.
    This usually happens in the context of 'the server is dead, just look at how little happens with towers!'.

So, in that regard, I decided to produce some graphs. (you can mouse over them to get the exact numbers)
    Attacks: (All Years) (Differential Graph) (Unique Orgs) (Unique Nicks) (Recent)
    Results: (All Years) (Bar Graph)
    Monthly graphs: Attacks, Results
    Yearly graphs: Attacks, Results
    Links for Atlantean and DNW graphs may be found here.
    A comparison between the dimensions for the past year may be found here.
    Unique (per month) attacking orgs: RK1, RK3
    Unique (per month) attacking nicknames: RK1, RK3

Attacks per titlelevel: ('unique' only considers the attacker)
    TL1: (Total), (Unique Orgs), (Unique Nicks)
    TL2: (Total), (Unique Orgs), (Unique Nicks)
    TL3: (Total), (Unique Orgs), (Unique Nicks)
    TL4: (Total), (Unique Orgs), (Unique Nicks)
    TL5: (Total), (Unique Orgs), (Unique Nicks)
    TL6: (Total), (Unique Orgs), (Unique Nicks)
    TL7: (Total), (Unique Orgs), (Unique Nicks)

Results per titlelevel: ('unique' only considers the attacker)
    TL1: (Total), (Unique Orgs)
    TL2: (Total), (Unique Orgs)
    TL3: (Total), (Unique Orgs)
    TL4: (Total), (Unique Orgs)
    TL5: (Total), (Unique Orgs)
    TL6: (Total), (Unique Orgs)
    TL7: (Total), (Unique Orgs)

What I read from this is there's no noticeable difference between now and two/three years ago.
    For some reason, last year was very active.

The only server which seems to be as dead as everyone claims AO to be, is DNW.

My hope is to be able to link people to this thread when they come with claims like described in the beginning in this post, and stop potential flamewars using statistics instead of adding fuel with partial observations.

All these stats will eventually be available through a easy-to-use interface at http://towers.flw.nu/
    Last edited by Demoder; Nov 10th, 2010 at 14:37:40. Reason: Less flamable
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

the lack of population on both sides, a lack of leadership in clan side, Omni being well organized and coming up with better numbers, the traditional abuse of overpowered Omni Solitus SB and sometimes SB and then OS, towers themselves being very gimp, are several reasons for this result.
    Unlimited "Millerna" Rifleworks (220 / 30 / 70) Agent

But what is "this result"?
    As far as I can see, there's no notable difference between this year and, say, two or three years ago.
    Last year seems to have been extremely active, however.
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

ITT: People will try to fault statistical facts with subjective opinions.

No worries, I'll be munching popcorn while everyone brings up their arguments on why NW/AO is dead.
    Last edited by Vhaxx; Jul 11th, 2010 at 11:41:44.
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    But what is "this result"?
    As far as I can see, there's no notable difference between this year and, say, two or three years ago.
    wasn't it last year that LoX got released?, that may explain why last year was active, because people came back from /afk in RK4?
    Unlimited "Millerna" Rifleworks (220 / 30 / 70) Agent

Excellent graphs, cheers for putting them together!

I've bookmarked them for the future for all those 'Omgz we used to have 200 a side (this number goes up every year), and now the server is dying and we have no Towah Wars ' posts.

Shame it doesn't go back further, but I suspect there would be little difference (perhaps a dip in 03/04 when SL came out and it caused havoc with guilds), but otherwise much the same despite the tears and drama - which also stay much the same ^^
    The nature of monkey is irrepressible.
    Silq ~ Barabajagal ~ Ubik ~ Steampunk ~ Fleshwoman & others

Thank you.

Sadly, I didn't start playing till december 2004; And didn't start logging on RK2 till sometime 2006 and on rk1/3 till sometime 2007.
    Otherwise, I would've had graphs for that time frame as well.

I plan on making these graphs update automatically on a monthly basis.
    And now that I know how to use RRDtool (the program used to generate the graphs), I might have yet another new feature for the incoming new towerwar site.
    Last edited by Demoder; Jul 11th, 2010 at 12:37:41.

OK, that's great ..

Now do the same for RK1. That would be interesting.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    Now do the same for RK1. That would be interesting.
    I did! This is LoR though.
    If you're interested in the other dimensions, click here.
    Last edited by Demoder; Jul 11th, 2010 at 12:50:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoder View Post
    three years ago.
    we pushed and succeeded to beat omni to 0% side xp once again. that requires many many many tower battles
    especially Arty and Racsi swapping sites kinda like each morning :P
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Added new graphs comparing the months over the years using bar graphs produced with Excel.
    Don't expect THOSE to be updated on a regular basis, as that's a rather manual job. :P

Awesome graphs

Here are the graph bars of RK1

http://towers.flw.nu/graphs/manual/Attacks-RK1.png
    http://towers.flw.nu/graphs/manual/Results-RK1.png

Seems to me that activity isn't very different between both servers.
    Nesjamag 220/30/70 Shade
    Nesjamah 220/23/69 MP
    Nesjahero 150/16/42 Keeper
    Nesjasol 220/26/58 Soldier
    Nesjawild 150/19/35 Advy

The Asylum

Differential graph added. RK2 and RK1
    Edit: Added comparison between the dimensions for the past year. clicky
    Last edited by Demoder; Jul 12th, 2010 at 13:27:11.

Ty Demoder.

Hope this will shut some potholes.

Tutomech 220/29/68 eng [ Eq ] || Tutodoc 150/20/42 doc [ Eq ] || Tutoblitz 60/6/21 fix [ Eq ] || Tutofarm 83/8/28 nt [ Eq ] || Tutoforce 220/2_/__ enf || Tutotaxer 220/__/__ tra

Maxisfix: Arguing on the forums is like the special Olympics, even if you win, you are still a retard.
    Yehuda Bauer: Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander.
    Tutomech: There is no real need in a virtual world, therefore: NEED = GREED.

Quote Originally Posted by Aramsunat View Post
    we pushed and succeeded to beat omni to 0% side xp once again. that requires many many many tower battles
    especially Arty and Racsi swapping sites kinda like each morning :P
    I never swapped any site between 2 orgs myself, was one of my org members most likely.
    I only destroyed some CTs of our org after taking better fields.

Still, no NW - no fun, whatever will make them alive again will be the best, will it be SB abuse or chained OS.
    G.F.B.D.
    --------------------------------------------
    Artyomis has played 800 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
    WTB subscription price lowered for eastern europe countries due to current USD/EUR-to-local-currency rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesja View Post
    Awesome graphs

Here are the graph bars of RK1

http://towers.flw.nu/graphs/manual/Attacks-RK1.png
    http://towers.flw.nu/graphs/manual/Results-RK1.png

Seems to me that activity isn't very different between both servers.
    YOu know what this means right? BOth RK1 and RK2 are dead for towers. AMG!@!!. It's the end.

this misses one huge point though, while there are attacks and towers dying here and there. Look at the overall number of people attending the battle, which is not captured by your data. Most lowbie sites tl4 and below are either soloed or 2 manned usually. Rarely orgs even bother defending. I soloed prolly a good 7 or 8 tl4 sites on my enf.

Plus the most active lowbie tower omni orgs aren't the establish big omni orgs, but rather froob orgs.

Tl7 wars haven't had action in a while and even when do they do happen the number turn out isn't that high unless the free month circulated around. So based on my view, tower wars are more or less dead.
    Deathmaster1 220/30/70 Dmsengi 220/28/70
    Dmstanker 220/30/70 Dmsdoc 220/25/70
    Anarchic1 126/15/35 Dmsfix 220/30/70
    Imakeyouoe 164/22/42 Imakeyouoe2 85/9/21

BM of Dark Front - We are recruiting. darkfront.org

Number of attackers isn't directly monitored, no; but every org (and unorged person) which attacks a site generates an attack message.
    That's about as far as tracking the scale of tower wars goes.

I'll see if I can't produce some useful data involving the duration of successful attacks, maybe even ignore attacks which lasted less than 10 minutes etc.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarchic1 View Post
    Tl7 wars haven't had action in a while and even when do they do happen the number turn out isn't that high
    http://flw.nu/portal/?page=tools_tow...&numresults=50 <-- check "last tower attacks on ql200+ sites"
    Last edited by Demoder; Jul 12th, 2010 at 18:33:44.

Unfortunately, you don't have data to support your claim like these charts do. It's just based on your observation. To say it's dead just because you see something is not good enough. The stats are clear regarding number of attacks.

What you say about towers has been the case for a long time now. It's NOT uncommon below TL5 for a very small number of people to go out and kill a tower, without defense. DOn't say it's evidence of dead towers ... unless you are convinced towers have been dead for about 5 years now.
    Last edited by Obtena; Jul 12th, 2010 at 18:23:06.

my claim is just as valid as a claim based on inclusive evidence though. While the op did a good job, he or she needs to present additional evidence in order to correctly show whether tower wars are dead.
    Last edited by Anarchic1; Jul 12th, 2010 at 20:04:34.
    Deathmaster1 220/30/70 Dmsengi 220/28/70
    Dmstanker 220/30/70 Dmsdoc 220/25/70
    Anarchic1 126/15/35 Dmsfix 220/30/70
    Imakeyouoe 164/22/42 Imakeyouoe2 85/9/21

BM of Dark Front - We are recruiting. darkfront.org

Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast