Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Current Nvidia FPS Issue Resolution (Please Read)

Post Current Nvidia FPS Issue Resolution (Please Read)

EDIT: The FPS Issue has finally been fixed by Nvidia, the current beta 270 drivers have a hotfix inside that will return your AO back to the good old frames you missed. Go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us and select your card/operating system/language etc and search for "beta" drivers. Good luck!

Hello, as some of you already know, I have taken it upon myself to test nearly every modern Nvidia card with AO on Win 7 64bit. I will post test results further below if you are interested, take note that I have not tested them with 32bit, but none the less I'm sure if the results are the same, the resolution is too. I have emailed Nvidia and also opened a support ticket in the meantime. I suggest those of you who have this issue do the same so this gets fixed sooner. It is not FC's fault, well other than them STILL running a dinosaur age DX7 engine that is. Nvidia has changed something in newer drivers causing massive FPS loss, I'm sure those of you reading are aware of this.

Currently the only way to get AO to run SOMEWHAT properly on the 400 and 500 series of the Nvidia GTX series is to roll back drivers to an older date back in Nov-Dec. I have posted in most threads these quick fixes, but do realize if you play modern games your FPS will be hindered in those. As I only play AO currently it didn't bother me much, but just be warned. Heck I lost FPS in Minecraft for crying out loud, how sad is that.

For those with oddball series of Nvidia cards or intregated cards, follow these steps.

Firstly, go to Nvidia's driver website [Driver Downloads], then select your OS that is applicable to you, and your video card and your language to match your country.

Secondly and to ALL installing any drivers, when your driver is downloaded be SURE to select the box that says "Perform Clean Install" or else it may hinder your FPS still. My tests showed varied results on this.

Quick links for Windows 7/Vista GTX 400 and 500 users. (Edit: These links are for US/UK/DE/FR users, Other users follow above step guide and select language/video card/OS etc *Thanks Kakadoodoo for pointing this out*)

GTX 400 series drivers for Windows 7/Vista 64 bit that work // [NA] 260.99 Drivers / [UK] 260.99 Drivers / [DE] 260.99 Drivers / [FR] 260.99 Drivers
    GTX 500 series drivers for Windows 7/Vista 64 bit that work // [NA] 263.09 Drivers / [UK] 263.09 Drivers / [DE] 263.09 Drivers / [FR] 263.09 Drivers

GTX 400 series drivers for Windows 7/Vista 32 bit that work // [NA] 260.99 Drivers / [UK] 260.99 Drivers / [DE] 260.99 Drivers / [FR] 260.99 Drivers
    GTX 500 series drivers for Windows 7/Vista 32 Bit that work // [NA] 263.09 Drivers / [UK] 263.09 Drivers / [DE] 263.09 Drivers / [FR] 263.09 Drivers

On a side note, as I said before, please open support tickets with Nvidia to help speed things up. Just describe your FPS loss issue in AO. If needed you can select your language at the top right hand corner via the flag. Link to support ticket entry [Bug Report Entry]. Update: Nvidia's Q&A lead tech has emailed me and is now aware of this issue and is working on a resolution, however tickets still can help "push" them along.

Testing Results

My System Spec -

CPU: Intel i7 920 2.66ghz
    MEM: A-Data 12gb 1600Mhz Low Timed Memory
    HDD: OCZ 120gb SSD Drive
    GPU: EVGA GTX 580
    SOUND: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    PSU: Antec 750W

Swapped Cards -
    8800GT - All drivers work, 70-100FPS
    9800GTX - All drivers work, 70-100FPS
    9800GX2 - All drivers work, 75-100FPS
    GTX 260 - All drivers work, 65-90FPS
    GTX 275 - All drivers work, 75-100FPS
    GTX 290 - All drivers work, 80-100FPS
    GTX 460 - Only 260.99 and lower perform, 25-55FPS
    GTX 470 - Only 260.99 and lower perform, 30-55FPS
    GTX 480 - Only 260.99 and lower perform, 30-60FPS
    GTX 570 - Only 263.09 and lower perform, 30-60FPS
    GTX 580 - Only 263.09 and lower perform, 30-60FPS

Good luck!
    Last edited by Memphisraves; Apr 1st, 2011 at 02:34:42. Reason: Issue Finally Resolved

Cool, thanks for going through all the effort. Yeah my fps is a lot better with 260.99, still a lot lower then i'd like but playable.

Nice thread
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Good job again. But saing it's nvidias fault is a bit rich. We don't know if this is due to a bug or if it is due to the drivers being optimized for something else than Dx7. My money is on the latter.

We will have a new game engine in 42 days though so it's no biggie.

{removed} It's nvidia's fault because their drivers and gpus no longer support whatever it is that AO requires to run properly. How is that anyone's fault but nVidia's? What about the legion of other old games that we play that now may not run properly? Those are the fault of the developers as well for not updating them to run with modern rendering methods? {removed} this thread is a great resource for anyone who chose to update to the newest nVidia lineup.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Jul 15th, 2011 at 14:38:49. Reason: removed personal insults
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Great post Memphisraves!
    I posted a ticket a few days ago but no reply.
    Noobus this is Nvidias fault and they will more than likely fix it unless it gets in the way of other things.
    I just bought a new comp and i got Fed coz of this....

Oh and all the links are for US drivers so EU might have to download different ones to make it work properly coz of the language.
    Heres a link for EU drivers. (u just fill in what u have)
    http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-uk

i think its as much FCs "fault" for not suppoorting new hardware as its nvidias fault to remove something that only 10 years old random non-documented gfx engine use...

nice to get info what drivers works. hate to "downgrade" though
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    {removed}
    {edited by Anarrina: removed response to personal insult and off-topic comments}

It's nvidia's fault because their drivers and gpus no longer support whatever it is that AO requires to run properly. How is that anyone's fault but nVidia's?
    It's simple. Current hardware supports and is optimized to run current software best. Dx7 was released in 2002. It's not current. Dx9 was released in 2004. FC had many many years to update this but it didn't and now the game is stuck with an engine that barely runs at all on a large and growing part of the computer hardware out there.

What about the legion of other old games that we play that now may not run properly? Those are the fault of the developers as well for not updating them to run with modern rendering methods?
    I used to play Sim City 2000. It doesn't work in my present setup. Is it the developers fault? No, because that game was sold a long time ago. It worked just fine back then.
    Games that are sold today is a different story. They need to be updated to support todays hardware. If you don't keep up with industry standards then your game won't work and it's your fault. And AO is sold TODAY.

If you were to build and sell automobiles today that will only run on leaded gas, would you argue that it's the rest of the world that is at fault for not providing the fuel that your car needs or would the responsibility be yours?

{removed}
    {edited by Anarrina: removed response}
    Last edited by Anarrina; Feb 18th, 2011 at 15:16:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    I used to play Sim City 2000. It doesn't work in my present setup. Is it the developers fault? No, because that game was sold a long time ago. It worked just fine back then.
    In b4 the FC-hugging response.

This is a very valid point that will probably get completely missed by the fanboi's responses. The fact that AO is a continuing online game means it has a different standard to match than say Dungeon Keeper, which was an awesome game for it's time, that doesn't run well on today's PCs with today's drivers and software. The reality is that FC might have been able to keep up with the changes in the industry, but the focus has been (for the last couple of years) getting the new engine out since that obviously should fix these issues. And we only have a little over a month left before the new engine hits anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

Hvy thank you for a good post. I think it amplifies what I said.

Ofcourse me relaying what FC has said, that the engine is coming soon is going to piss off some fanbois. Because they know by now it's most likely not true anymore. They also know it's impossible to defend keeping us in the dark and so the whole thing leaves them with a bitter taste in their mouths. And that is where the namecalling etc begins

Updated my post with links for NA, UK, DE, and FR drivers. Added a little info for other users to find their drivers if they are not from that country. Thank you Kakadoodoo for pointing that out.

Side note, if possible, please refrain from hijacking this thread into a flamewar about the engine. I created this thread as a resource for those in need, not a breeding ground for sharing hatred about who's right and who's wrong about the engine. Maybe my little snip at saying it's not FC's fault is wrong and uncalled for, but after my tests I could see it was closely driver related as other stress test programs proved lower in FPS as well. Yes it may be their fault for not updating by now, but it is what it is.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Memphisraves; Feb 18th, 2011 at 18:35:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Noobius76 View Post
    Hvy thank you for a good post. I think it amplifies what I said.

Ofcourse me relaying what FC has said, that the engine is coming soon is going to piss off some fanbois. Because they know by now it's most likely not true anymore. They also know it's impossible to defend keeping us in the dark and so the whole thing leaves them with a bitter taste in their mouths. And that is where the namecalling etc begins
    Whether or not it makes people angry is one thing, and can be dealt with. However, bringing it up continuously in non-related threads is a moderation concern, as that is a form of spam and trolling. Please feel free to bring it up in threads about the engine or development, and refrain from continually repeating it in other threads.

Also, please to not post "telepathically" to ascribe motives to others they haven't expressed themselves.

In this case, I posted this publicly rather than as a private warning, as you are not the only person participating in this form of spam.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Feb 18th, 2011 at 15:21:35.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Yesterday i found out that i had to use the new drivers for other games and stuff to make em worth it so i had to cancel my accounts. I really love the game so i hope a fix comes soon or the Engine comes.
    Ill leave a post about my response if its worth replying about. best of luck

Yes it is unfortunate about the newer programs and games requiring newer drivers. I tried playing some Assassins Creed 2 and Mass effect 2 with the older ones and I saw a big FPS loss on that compared to the newer drivers. It's like you're forced to pick and choose via what game you prefer the most, unless you're willing to constantly uninstall and reinstall certain versions of drivers.

Side note, I haven't heard from Nvidia yet, I'm going on vacation until next week. If I hear back from them when I get back I will paste it into this thread.

Thanks,

In my limited testing (and experience) with this issue it seems to be related to "any" cards in SLI mode and any of the new multi-GPU cards. In the older cards disabling SLI almost always fixes the problem and if you're not havign a problem its probably because you have only one GPU.

On the newer cards I suspect the problem is centered around Multi-GPU cards. I do not have one to test with but maybe someone else can. I believe going back to earlier version of the drivers either gives less functionality to the 2nd GPU or limits some aspect of it that is causing the issue with AO.??

All I know is that if I disable SLI on my older cards the main card shows up in the AO GUI and my frame rate after selecting it goes up significantly, with SLI enable the cards do not show in the AO GUI and the default T&L drops my FPS down drastically.

Like I said, this is only a guess thats it realted to multiple GPU's. I wanted to post my experience fighting this issue in the hopes it might help someone else out there.

-Arane

I'd like to add one thing: If you are running on older (GTX2xx or older) card, you can get Anti-Aliasing work with 182.50 drivers; Just set Antialiasing mode to Override any application setting and after you log in, alt-tab out of game and then back. At least on fullscreen this is required. Performance hit is pretty minimal with AO and FSAA, new GPUs got a lot of room to spend there, 8xFSAA brings me 60+ FPS at almost any cases.

Doesn't seem to work with newer cards, and even older cards don't seem to be able to force it on with newer drivers, at least my GTX260, GTS250 and 8800GT didn't seem to be able to force antialiasing on any of the newer drivers; has anyone tried some other tricks?

At least WinXP doesn't seem to have as bad performance suffer in newer games compared to new drivers, so I'm still happy to use old drivers; but if someone knows a working trick for XP+nVidia+new drivers+FSAA in AO, I'd like to hear.
    Mireiawen Rose, 215/30/70 neut fixer, setup RK2
    Mireiwen Rose, 220/27/62 neut MA trader/tradeskiller, setup RK2
    Miraiwen Rose, 220/30/70 neut SMG soldier, setup RK2
    Miraeawen Rose, 220/27/70 neut MP, setup RK2
    Mireiaieawen Rose, 220/30/69 neut tank, RK2
    +bunch of others in Rose family...

President of Neutral Warriors | Neutnet mod | Mireiawen.net

Got superior pewpew or nerfbat? But it looks ugly, or you are just plain bored with everyone going around with same? Bump for Weapon Remodeling and get your unique looks!

I don't think this issue has anything to do with sli (maybe with sli it's even worse)

On my single GTX 480 at least I get single figure fps with the latest drivers

With the drivers posted in the op I get 60fps average

Also I can turn on 32* AA. looks nice and dosnt effect fps with the older drivers

One thing I have noticed though ao only uses about 8% of my gpu's capability
    And my graphics card stays in 2d desktop mode while ao is running with the newer drivers. I tried to force the card to run at full performance for ao in the nvidia options
    But didn't seem to do anything, maybe this is part of the problem though

I use msi afterburner and my g15 keyboard to see what my graphics card is doing
    Lordplayer: Lets just put it down to people being completely retarded carrying on the "reply nerf to any keeper topic" mentality of years gone by.

Cergorn 220/30/70 Atrox Keeper
    Yamura 220/30/70 Soli Crat

now the question comes to my mind: how many new customers delete ao directly after they tested it for some mins/hours with 10 fps on their brand new 1000-2000$ computer^^

fix it asap or loose customers. funcom decides. it´s not on the users side to get a work-around for it.
    Yeny | Intake | Rhiya | Juiya | Evilshadey | Infamous | Ntlein | Riya | Aryna | Pastafari | Badcore | Palsy | ...and more...

Quote Originally Posted by Means in Friday with Means - February 24th, 2011 - The dust is settling
    We are not going to be able to release the engine in Q1 but we are still hoping for an "Early Beta" in Q1 or early Q2

Quote Originally Posted by -yeny- View Post
    fix it asap or loose customers.
    it wouldnt surprice me if fps drop is somehow connected to ingame browser.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Update,

Nvidia's Q&A technical lead just sent a final email to me this morning confirming our previous email chain with the customer service reps. He states my results are grounds enough for a review. He also wrote that they see where the issue is coming from but cannot give any further info other than they will get onto patching it.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Memphisraves; Feb 24th, 2011 at 01:23:40.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast