Thread: SL quest leveling guide - without kiting

SL quest leveling guide - without kiting

I want to make up a guide of SL guides, mainly from AO universe that is in a detailed list to show a truly different way to level.

I was hoping to get the help of the community, and post here.
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

If you go to AOU and sort the Shadowlands guides by level range, you can get a pretty good idea of a progression list
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO fansite worldwide - Site Manager || Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

It's not the Truly DIFFERENT way... it's the NORMAL way, better yet, INTENDED.

I never use an OST/kites, and this is how I level:

Level 1 through 8 to 10 noob island
    equip level 30 imps grab a couple nanos go to SL.

Level 9 through 21 weavers, chimeras, nasce stuff.
    At level 21, I go to TOTW. I get a plat ring, a notum ring, barrow strength, exarch cloak, withered flesh, GCB.
    If sold, I go to SOM, grab a neutrino flash, most other profs get a battlerod.

After I get this stuff from totw/SOM I do my first twink. equip weap, and go to crip cave. If you setup up properly, you can kill the mobs in the dungeons here solo at 21. After a perk or two and your weap is 100% you can lay waste pretty easily.
    I stay here till level 50.

At level 50 it's time to farm some LE mishes, recap AXP, get 3 research huds.
    I usually get health hud, red hud and nano hud. I'll also find a 75 CM suit/ appropriate armour, and equip that.

After recapping AXP, and another retwink this time for nanoskills, base stats for better armour (weap choice is no better at this level than 21), you can usually solo nasc hecks.

From level 50 to 60 I do nasc hecks.

At level 60, I stop and triple check that theres nothing I need from totw, like blind rings or whatnot.

I might do a check on equip at this point to see if there aren't some quick changes I could do that would enable a nice nano or something.

If I'm a tank class, or DD class like sold, I will definitly look to update weapons, for solds move to tiig blaster or PB, for enf howlet or chirops/ cleavers, same for advy, fixer, PB, etc.

From 60 to 70 I like spiders, hoalth's, beits, and do ely key quest.

At 70 I go to tiigs, and beat the crap out of them until 90 or 95.

At 95 is a great time to retwink. Lots of profs have some decent symbs opening up and, you can easily plow through foremans for the collar if you want it, TIM scope, all that stuff.

At 95, it's an easy upgrade to most of the best RK weaps available (hungry howlet, pained panther, stuff like that if you want, or a reasonably high blaster/ beamer, etc), this adjustment is integral in being capable of participating at a reasonable level in SL teams for the next leveling stage.

Ely hecks are next. At 95, with appropriate gear, you can tank, doc, calm, DD, absolutely fine in a fully functioning team.

I stay at ely hecks until 120, at which point I go do the bronto burger quest, get a few RK dings from quests, and, mostly likely revamp some symbs, especially brain, eye, Rhand and probably chest since these are good ones adding nano skills as well as support skills and weapon stats.

I'll redo armour, here and equip a mix and match of miy's, pred, alien, or whatever else I have around. If I'm not using an SPB/ SPS/ HH/PP/ or a high QL kyr weap, at this point, I'll twink something on that will put me in the top eschelon of DD for normal leveling teams. I find this is useful, because if I'm an evade or remotely close to a tanking class, I'll perform better than 99% of people I meet leveling, and, havign agg is better suited to people with a better developed skill set and AC's/ equipped toon.

I'll stay at ely hecks until 130-150 depending on the toon, and whether I get bored. Usually, I like to stay at ely hecks because they are fast and fun, and I love to team and hopefully give people a few pointers on how to operate their toon.

At 150, it's definitly time to do a full blown overhaul. At 150, I'll go to S10, and, if I don't have a full AI suit, I'll farm some cash and fill out the weak spots in the setup. I'll twink on the best possible weapons within reason, get AI 17 (8 in conc, 8 in weap skill, 1 in AI line, for most profs this is sufficient to operate at 85-95% of potential), then, I'll either stay at 150 for a few days, weeks, months, or years.

Once I decide to move past 150, it's time to get on very high level AI weaps, high min damage, standard setups, high HP, high AC's. if I'm leveling an agent, I make sure I can FP doc and equip to use UBT, CH, LGE and high level stims for continuous doccing.

I'll do Ado hecks to 170 for sure, but, I like ado, so sometimes I'll stay longer. I'll do ado key, ado sanct key, ado brain if it hasn't' been done, Dark ruins, and farm dark ruins a bit, keep capping AXP on raids, and make sure research is up to date.

At 170-180, I'll go to pen, and do pen key and pen quest. I don't stay in pen long, but, theres some good stuff here, and often I'll head back to ado for some hecks, because ado hecks are fun for a bit, but, you can't do too many or your eyes get wonky.

At 180, for sure I'm heading to inf, I'll get a bunch of the key thingies, and get saved in inf. At 180, I'll usually NEVER go solo. 180's are far too gimp to even pretend youre helping, so I'll log a 220 DD class, roll inf mishes and try to grab 210+ dudes to fill the holes.

At 205ish, I'll start asking in org and alliance for inf teams, I'll still feel pretty retarded asking for teams with PUG's at 205, but, soemtimes they pop up. At 210+ I'll start going full blown raid setup, with endgame armour, and try hard for QL 300 weaps, beast weaps, w/e. do research from 210, unless pet class in which case I'll go straight to 220.

Thats my usual leveling story.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvana View Post
    If you go to AOU and sort the Shadowlands guides by level range, you can get a pretty good idea of a progression list
    Two things:

1. AOU is the best site for quest, guides, and everything between.

2. AOU needs some cleaning up. Like you can level like this from 100-130. You can level like this from 140-150. Another example is INF boots/HHAB should have one part, then spawning TCHU should be another part, but all put in a separate category.

AOU is the best site. Here is a joke though - it's like someone vomited (organization, management, professionalism?)great information and called it a website. The sorting, and management needs help. Hire me if you need help...but it shouldn't be hard.

Example:

In SL Elysium category:

XXX Quest --> SL leveling /Levels/XP gained

In Adonis:

ADO Brain quest (Name followed) --> Symbiants / Tier 2 Parts

In Classic - Don't put Dust Brigade in classic AO. Make a new category - DB. DB zones, DB quest.
    Last edited by Ctrlaltwin; May 20th, 2011 at 08:16:08.
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

I think showing the level ranges for various activities is better than holding the hand of someone and telling them step by step how to advance in levels. They can choose how they want to get there that way instead of what someone else thinks of as being the best. Like the other poster put up their personal preference for how they would get from point A to point B, but as your original post suggested, you wanted only SL related information, so some of their personally preferred methods wouldn't be valid for what you're wanting to do.

I believe there are several threads that exist with people expressing their desired progression tactics and people use a mix of those to plan their own path, but I don't think any two people really have the exact same way to do it considering the wide variety of mobs and dungeons that we have available to us

Feel free to send me what you think could help make the AOU information more easy to navigate. Right now the Tchu information is included at the end of both the HHAB guide and the Inf Boots guide, since those are where it comes in to play. I'm not sure having that particular section split from the guides would make a lot of sense, since you still need to complete the previous parts to get your desired item.

Thanks!
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO fansite worldwide - Site Manager || Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

I think showing the level ranges for various activities is better than holding the hand of someone and telling them step by step how to advance in levels.
    I was thinking of listing BOTH ways. Both have benefits and flaws, which are clear. If you show too much of a level gap, someone might think 140ish is a good level to do elysium quest when it seems a lot lower is better. Just like someone might do something different at different levels.

I'll try to address that.

Feel free to send me what you think could help make the AOU information more easy to navigate. Right now the Tchu information is included at the end of both the HHAB guide and the Inf Boots guide, since those are where it comes in to play. I'm not sure having that particular section split from the guides would make a lot of sense, since you still need to complete the previous parts to get your desired item.

Thanks!
    I thought my last post was clear on this. Break them into several sub-categories in a drop down list on the left side. Did you read the latest poll? 83% of people use that website for guides, and we don't even know if the other 17% is accurate. The fact is- AOU is a guide site, not so much Roleplaying, about AOU, media, or official sites.

My proposal (which I think will help you a ton) have the left side go like this:

AO Universe (minimized, drop down window) -- Add a description for each, like "For AO News/Chat/Forums"
    Multimedia (minimized, drop down window)
    Roleplaying (minimized, drop down window)
    About AOU (minimized, drop down window)
    Official Sites (why is this here? minimized, drop down window)
    RK (have a NON-minimized, fully listing guides (after Official Sites):

Under RK (re-named classic AO, also in ALPHABETICALLY order= A to Z under RK)

-AO 101 Guide (drop down window -- Basic chat, AO dictionary, basic GUI, backyards, clicksaver, etc etc)
    -PvP/Battlestation
    -Tradeskilling
    -Missions
    -Mailing/maps
    -Shopping
    -Twinking Abilities
    -Professional Guides - Window
    -BioMare
    -Daily Missions - drop down window - except list the missions in leveling order range (1, 50, 200, etc etc)

And keep on going (but keep it semi short)

SL-

Elysium - Drop down window (with Quest, quest for XP w/ values, items, scheol access, key quest, etc etc)
    Scheol -

Etc etc

The fact is that finding something can take several minutes, and that should be the least of someone's worries in AO. Navigation should be in drop down windows, minus IMPORTANT guides (one's that can't be ignored) -- i.e. Dust brigade quest - A 220 can not ignore these.

I hope I helped, and cleared up your website. My own ideas here are not clean and draw out clear; however, the point stands. It could be much easier. If drop down windows aren't appealing, just have links in sub categories that are more specific like I mentioned...so someone doesn't have to read through 50 different quest, find the right one, and then be confused by the name --> ADO BRAIN QUEST.
    Last edited by Ctrlaltwin; May 20th, 2011 at 09:02:39.
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

Thanks for your input. While I don't see a complete overhaul happening as such, I'll definitely look in to some of your suggestions and talk to the team

I think Noobas has Kintaiis wall of text disease

Anyway...ever since the xp rewards were introduced, random ely/scheol/ado quests are an epic source of XP
    Vitaliy - 220/30 NM NT
    Vitiate - 220/30 Soli Crat
    Paralympics - 220/30 NM Agent
    Vitx - 150/20 Opi Tarder

Paradise & Parasite

Two of my favourite threads

Both relating to soloing:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=520384

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...hreadid=205122

McKnuckleSamwich's suggestions look good if you have well equipped alts to pull stuff from their back inventory, and for endgame a good org (or a "wanted" prof). You'd have to be less ambitious without.

I follow McKnuckle's method.
    "When life knocks you on your butt, you have to get back up and punch it in the face." --DJ Ashval of GSP

Nullified "Bitbucket" Deadcode - 220/25 Neut NanoMage Engi
    Bits10 - 150/14 Clan Opifex Trader

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrlaltwin View Post
    I want to make up a guide of SL guides, mainly from AO universe that is in a detailed list to show a truly different way to level.

I was hoping to get the help of the community, and post here.
    This thread has most of the large quest rewards noted:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=582331

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    I never use an OST/kites, and this is how I level:

>snip<

That's my usual leveling story.
    I always find it interesting to see/hear/read how other players approach leveling. I do have a question, though. Is your toon self-financing or do you bankroll it with creds from alts?

If it's self-financing, where do those creds come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Iwate8992 View Post
    I always find it interesting to see/hear/read how other players approach leveling. I do have a question, though. Is your toon self-financing or do you bankroll it with creds from alts?

They come from the main he has. Otherwise it is quite painful for a newcommer to do any of the following (my list):

1. 1-9 -> newbie island
    2. Quickly get some level 10 imps in
    3. Go to SL quickly for the level 10 ding for DNA perk and then get implants on:

What I use:
    - omni-med suit, lowest 3-slot belt, set of 3 NCU chips with CL req ~70-80, set of 3 NCU chips with CL req ~100-115, set of NCU chips with CL req ~125-135. NCU with CL req ~70-80 is simply for getting them on quickly and have enough NCU for buffs (Essence of Titan/Behemoth 20 Str/Stam or 27 str/stam, Iron Circle 20 Str/Stam, Feline grace 25 agi, Enhanced Senses 15 sense, NS 20 Int/Psychic)
    - I have QL 10, 20 & 30 treatment and computer literacy implants
    - QL 30 abilities implants (mainly str, stam, agi and sense)
    - QL 40-sh abilities implants (mainly str, stam, agi and sense)
    - QL 50 abilities implants (mainly str, stam, agi and sense)
    - 2 Explosif pillows; QL 10 concrete cushions can work if you don't have the cash for the Explosif pillows or a friend to lend them to you for a bit
    - the HUD thingy that makes you see everything in bright green and gives a huge boost to sense; requires 166 nano programing skill (I <3MPs for Advanced Symbol Manipulation).
    - quartz rifle (+10 treatment and some 8 stamina) just in case, but with medsuit it should be easy enough to get the reqs for ql 50 imps
    How I used it:
    - get composite attributes, Treatment Experties Computer literacy (12NCU)
    - equip ql 10/20 CL imps
    - take off newb island belt and NCU chips
    - equip 3-slot belt and the best NCU chips I have
    - get Essence of titan and/or IC and FG
    - get abilities imps on - ql 30
    - get abilities imps on - ql 50
    - equip main implants for weapons
    - utter foul words when the implants do not require the higher abilitie syou have at the moment
    - open Auno, go to Implant designer, play around with clusters for the implants you need until you get the implant configured to require he ability you can easily buff more.
    - double check that the implant configuration you just made isn't too high for your treatment
    - buy the clean imps and clusters and make friends with someone with +200sh NP skill to make them for you
    - get imps on
    - with luck and some patience you can end up with ql 50/70 imps at the end
    - for ql 70 imps you may need to use ql 30-40sh treatment implants
    - don't forget about at least ql 50 right/left wrist implants with RS on them
    - Congrats! You got a good implant setup that can easily carry you through the following levels up to level 30-35; hell, even 50 if you are lazy.
    - get armor on - carbonum armor is great for the NCU and nano boost; sided carb is also good if you can get your hands on it
    - for armor you may need to get behe/IC/FG again
    - once armor is one, get to cleaning up the inventory from the mess you made while swapping implants
    Nota Bene!
    - you can fiddle with imps and make them to require a specific ability
    - most of the twinking stuff in terms of abilities equipment at this low level (except maybe for Explosif pillows) is just a shortcut to getting higher stuff on (implants especially) without going through a lot of implant laddering.
    - Explosiv/Concrete pillows will be a great help when trying to get some carb armor on
    - keeping some stuff around for low level twinking will have your alts being eternally greatful to you
    4. Once you got decked out, time to think about what weapons to use.
    5. Weapons on? Good, now go kill stuff: hiathlins, malahs, spiders, crippler cave.
    6. At about level 25-30 (depends on how lazy I am) I head back for:
    - Steps of Madness: SOM belt is very nice; get Neleb's robe just in case, the rings, Neutrino flash if I use a ranged profession or Battlerod for melee (along with Nervejolters or the piercing weapons)
    - Equip belt from SOM
    - Update NCU chips with some better ones
    - Equip ql 90-100 imps
    - Get better armor on (70sh AI armor if needed and I have it around)
    - Equip weapon from SOM
    - Get Composite teachings and update nanos
    Nota bene! Equiping stuff at this point is simply a rehash of the previous activities at #3 only with higher QL implants. Most likely you'll need to use treatment implants for higher implants and you may need to have 2 perks in DNA.

7. Hit crippler cave to check performance. Kill in the cave until you get 40-41.
    8. If you got a spare MP for belamorte you can simply head into the second dungeon in the crippler cave where mobs are level 50-60sh. Start whacking them anew. Go crazy and head for the boss because you got carried away. Boss whacks you silly and sends you to reclaim. Go back and exact vengeance on the other mobs. Good thing about the dungeon is that you get insignias for Elysium redeemed/unredeemed garden.
    9. If you get bored, do a daily (RK, AI) or some LE missions with a friend.
    10. Ding 50, do some more LE missions to get the LE hud devices and fill hat green bar. Remember to update nanos as you go (I always buy a bag or 2 from the shops and use them as I go).
    11. Go get ql 110-120sh imps on. Update weapon if you haven't so far.
    12. Hit some hecklers and beat them silly. Remember at 60 you still have TOTW stuff to get and curse softly.
    13. Go get your hands on the TOTW stuff you need.
    14. Update weapon if possible.
    15. Go back and beat some more rocks. If not bored to tears already, ding 65/70 on them rocks. Alternatively you can spank hiathlins, malahs and beits in Elysium. Beits without team or pocket is a no go since they are so damn social, but not aggressive to allow you to pull them.
    16. Buy treatment/abilities LE HUDs.
    17. Strip toon of combat gear and start updating gear:
    - get 6-slot belt and Viral Compiler on if you havent so far
    - update NCU
    - recycle/clean imps from the mules/alts that don't need them anymore
    - head to auno and make implant configuration
    - build the imps
    - start getting buffs
    - get ql 140-170 imps on
    - get outside buffs again
    - update armor
    - update weapon (get CoH weapons if available)
    - clean up the inventory again and curse yourself for not being tidy
    18. Go spank a heckler just to check weapon effectiveness.
    19. Head to Elysium and save in the garden if you haven't done so.
    20. Head to Spade and hope for some tiig team. Be friendly with your team.
    21. After a few levels when other teams start showing up, porpose to go to Eastfang.
    22. Team decides to go (hopefully!!! curse them as the lazy bastards they are!). Team gets to garden, 1-2 people get lost on the way, 1-2 get downright killed because they decided to pick on Lost Hiathlin (I guess the didn't see the other mobs popping out of nowhere).
    23. In the end it's just you and the doc that usually makes it there.
    24. start spanking the tiigs till you get 90. Die a few from the hecklers/VH you forgot about being around. Doc says "Thanks a lot!! Until now I've never had this much fun healing! Hell, until now nobody even picked me up in teams mostly or think I could heal since they all had pockets!". Start feeling for the doc (my first too I really took to high level was a doc back when Penumbra missions where still the way to go and even then I felt discriminated a bit).
    25. Give some stuff/cash to the newbie that had the ballz to go with you on the Tiig hill and had the will to come back each time he died from the tiigs respwning on us.
    26. Take a break and go back to the EF hill to ding 95 for the symbs.
    27. Update imps (180-195), symbs with lvl req 81, 88 or 95, armor and weapon.
    28. From now on it's just rock bashing mostly with dailies and garden keys.
    29. Ding 105 and go get 200 imps on since you can now get 200 jobe imps on as well. Update former symbs with their Running counterparts (lvl 103 req iirc). Update weapon/armor if possible.
    30. If heck busines is slow, doing dailies (RK, AI dailies) and RK missions (40-50 levels higher than you) is even more lucrative than staying around for the heckler team invite that will never come.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwate8992 View Post

Most will be from the main/other toons.

I am recycling a lot of gear/implants I don't use on alts so that lowers the cash you need. However, doing it all the "intended" way for 2011™ (not pocket/kiting related) is expensive.

I know that back in 2005, my first toon I fiddled with was an MA that had 110-130sh implants on at level 110. With crappy armor and gear because money were hard to come by. They still are mostly if you want to enjoy the game and simply see what's beyon the next level or perk ding. It's even worse for froobs unfortunately.

My lucky break from gimpness was in late 2006 when I hosted some level 70sh AI raids with org and got some really nice drops. After we split the cash, I was left with more credits than I have seen in my life and this is how my first fixer was born - directly with GA2 and GA4 nano discs in its inventory (back when GA4 nano disc was like 60-70mils). With that i became tank for org ship raids we hosted in turns and we also had a small co-op with a close by org and we hosted raids back to back.

And from there things started to slowly get a little bit better. I never made tons of money like I heard some other people get, but I always made enough to get by with above average gear while still enjoying the game and not losing myself in a mindless grind for stuff to sell.

However, it is true that for new players it is absolutely horrible. And yes, there are ways to make tons of money at low level, but the feedback I had from people that went through that was discouraging: it almost killed the fun factor of the game for them and they called it quits in then end before even getting to see how TL5 looks like.
    Last edited by Khlin; May 25th, 2011 at 07:43:15.

Guide for a new player who wants to equip more then the bare minimum. I suggest daylies for dings (aliens too). The rest of the play time should be spent earning creds. Alternating between very exciting cred farming methods is a good way to avoid peeing in your pants. Up to level 25 farm the usual crap, cushions and such. Always check the ql of the missions you can do and farm all the buffing gear you can. Keep some for you ofc and a few more available to sell. Sooner or later they will be sold. Usually later. Blitz missions a lot at early levels. Find out the most likely locations where you can find your objectives.

After level 25 farm some Basic armor, basic armor is worth a lot because farming it is so exciting and fun that many players cant handle the pressure and will gladly pay millions to avoid all that fun. Keep at least 2 full sets in stock.

Continue with dailies and doja chips on the lower levels to get at least one or 2 levels a day. When you reach Ely and begin nearing level 100 begin farming predator armor. Sometimes there is nobody there. Always farm all the pattern pieces and monster parts, some of the more valuable gems too. Have lots of bags in your inventory and grab anything that cant grab you.

After that continue with leveling slowly with daylies and dojas everytime you can. Never upgrade gear unless you need to. Save your money as much as possible. Alternate between dayly blitzing and pattern farming (at higher levels patterns cash in more creds then predator armor). Save a few complete patterns for ql 150+ symbs, they may bring in some cash sold as PBs or you may spawn them yourself someday.

Be creative, anything that you find boring enough to make you cry is a good oportunity for cash.

Dont be in a hurry to do inferno missions. Get as much twinking gear as you can by yourself. The good stuff is not for you, but you can make a decent toon for your solo experience with some gear that the uber people calls crap.

When you reach endgame try to join a point bot and do as many raids as you can. Become more prodigal with your hard earned cash. You will never farm Albtraum bracers with a gimpy toon, you have to buy it and that's it. Similarly for other endgear. If you work hard and are careful with your cred management you can reach 220 with a semidecent toon and farm the rest of your endgame gear without being laughed at, not to many times anyway.

After you finish your main you roll another toon but you have 2 options, you either do it all again or you just farm endgame stuff to finance your alts with alll the uber stuff you could'nt get your dirty little paws on before. Your choice really.
    Gustatus similis pullus.