Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Friday with Means - July 1st, 2011 - Happy Canada Day!

Funcom employee Friday with Means - July 1st, 2011 - Happy Canada Day!

I'm sorry the Q&A video isn't out yet. Someone is working on it now. Slapping out the raw footage would have been easy but there were problems with the sound that needed to be fixed. Not being able to hear the questions asked takes a lot of the fun out of a Q&A session. AO does not have a full time sound guy on the project so we had to borrow time from one of the TSW team who graciously did the work on his own time.

The most important time this week was spent making sure the universe wouldn't explode again. I discussed it briefly with some people at the QA session but I will explain it again here. Two weeks ago Atlantean went down and would not come back up again. Turns out the id manager was out of IDs for missions for that dimension. To put things in perpective it means you guys had run through or at least taken 4.4 Billion mission IDs since launch. We discovered other IDs were also not recyclable in the AO codebase and were also running low. These IDs are associated with your characters in a table and also in your character information BLOB and as such would be a nightmare to remove. (ie: weeks of possible downtime) We managed to do something temporary during the 6 hours when the dimension was down to reclaim some IDs for use for the next month or so while we worked on a real solution...the temporary solution was a one-off that could not be done again. Macrosun and others have been working through their weekends and evenings to find a good solution to this problem for the last two weeks. We have deployed two versions to the test dimension this week in an attempt to fix this problem...the second one shows the results we were hoping for.

Next week we will be deploying a new version to live that we hope will fix this issue. It has a high risk factor as it touches a lot of old/awful systems that have not been looked at in years.

It is Canada Day and I am supposed to be on vacation so I am going out in my Canoe now.

Have a great weekend and I hope our American's have a great 4th of July on Monday!

**oops didn't mean to lock the thread. Should be open again now.**

(Edited by Famine: Videos of Q&A Panel found here.)
    Last edited by Famine; Jul 1st, 2011 at 19:09:00.
    Colin Cragg
    This "Means" Cake
    Past Game Director (2008-2011)

First AMG!

Edit: ^ You mother!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    I have played my toon 280 days. You have played ur toon 36 days. My toon is better. Get over it.

So Clicksaver really did kill AO ...

This phenomenon needs a flashy moniker, like Y2K. I am officially coining "M4B".

p.s. 4.4 billion missions and I still can't find an HD cluster!
    Last edited by cbus97; Jul 1st, 2011 at 16:43:32.

Oh dang
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

OH, why not?

Fifth!

Kinda makes you wonder what the next "who-ever-thought-this-would-some-day-be-a-problem?" problem will be.

Half expect to hear about an emergency evacuation of downtown Montreal in the news one of these days and I just know Ground Zero will be the Funcom offices.
    Last edited by Iwate8992; Jul 1st, 2011 at 16:47:29.

5th
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Oh, I can get first ... damn closed ... *go away* ... crap reopened again! NOES TOO LATE!

Also, 4.4 billion missions ought to be enough for everyone!
    Formerly Vhab.
    Once upon a time ruled a server. And then sold out. Sorry.

I saw no mention of stacking Personal Furnaces....ooooohhhhh the pain, the pain

Happy 'Whatever Day' to those that celebrate them
    .:: Stigman : 220 / 30 / 70 : NM Engineer (PVM 35% Crit) : I Make It, You Buy It : FIRST Omni NM Engi to hit 220/30/70 on RK1 ::.
    .:: Stigmartyr : 220 / 30 / 70 : Opi Shade (Neutral) : Piercing Princess ::.
    .:: Levinstein : 220 / 30 / 70 : Opi Agent : Sneaky Sniper ::.
    .:: Lexstein : 150 / 20 / 42 : Trox Engineer : Sector Ten : Currently the ONLY 150/20/42 Trox Engi on RK1 ::.

11th, wow...

So what's the solution then Means?
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

haPPY Canada day
    Proud Advisor of Spartans

Taskersolder Level 220 Soldier
    Taskdoc Level 220 Doc
    Jarew Level 220 NT
    Tasker1 Level 220 Fixer
    Taskcrat Level 220 Crat
    Tasky Level 220 Trader
    Taskmann Level 220 Adv
    Healer01 Level 220 Doc-semi-retired TT dispenser

Someone with video editing skills, please insert Mean's face from the QA into the "I'm on a boat" song.
    "A whole new place to run around for ages in then die suddenly without warning."

"I know who coded pet pathing... and when I see him I say "/follow" and I start waling in to walls :P"

The "Trolls" option is incorrect. The term trolls is not used to describe the gathering of information on the Internet.

<@Kintaii> L2P

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post
    11th, wow...

So what's the solution then Means?
    Moving to rk2

whut the... i was in the tread when it was locked.. so no first.. heh
    Niles73 220/30/70/s/p/(-and (preLE/Alba/DB)Guide) - Trox way => can't make life? Take life!
    Phoeniles 200/30/60 - reborn ranged opi adv!
    Nilose 220/30/68 /s - plays for team alt gear farm
    Nilbit 220/30/70 /s - parked gimptast
    Nilo 220/27/68 /solo pvm/pvp - parked DD

Duke Nukem Forever is out.. now what?

Means trolled! Someone infract him, now!!!
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

first page!
    The Clan Messiah statement
    You hit Nirvelle with nanobots for 7110365 points of radiation damage.
    Alternity: I never initiated a serious dialog

"... who are you, then?"
    "I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good" (c) Goethe

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\| ||\____
    |.............Vodka-Vodka..........| ||','''|'''''''\____,
    |_______..... _________________| ||__|'__|_____||<
    '''''(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''**|(@)(@)******| (@)*

Slight case of resubbing, just showing the flag... lets call it a flag anyway, it sure is magnificient enough.

Thought of the day: allways remember to back up your GUI folder when you rage-quit a game.

Edit: To all of you *French* canadians out there, tell Plante i need an org promotion for some toons so i can do raids
    Last edited by Dogtrauma; Jul 1st, 2011 at 17:20:56.
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

awesomeness
    'Fbwhitey' : 220/26 Nano NT [PvP]
    'Garnerana' : 220/22 Trox Keeper [PvM]
    'Zinc' : 220/30 Trox Doctor [PvP]
    'Whex' : 171/22 Trox Soldier

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast