Thread: Can't Install

Can't Install

I'll keep this short, can't believe this problem is still happening after 10 years. I got a new computer and I'm trying to install the Large client of AO. It gets to load for half an hour and this error shows up. "ABORT: Pointer is NULL (.\socket.c/385)"

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/2976/aobug.png

Can anybody help? Searched the internet for it aswell.

EDIT: It's not installing, It's (not) downloading. Thanks CriticalDmg.
    Last edited by Eskarin; Dec 5th, 2011 at 22:38:49.
    since 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    FYI: Cola burns when it comes out your nose...I now know this because of you.

I can't see the image (stupid proxy at work blocking it) but are you installing with the "new" online installer that takes a decade or using the large client .exe that's about 1.8GB and offline ?

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Nah, I'm using the one that takes a decade to install and well... It still doesn't work.
    since 2005

If you're referring to the "AnarchyOnline_18.4.7-Large.exe" - it's not the installer, it's a download manager. I just downloaded it to see if I can understand your problem, and... lo and behold - I get the same error (and the DL manager crashed out).
    Anyhow, I don't know why the error occurs, but I do know how to substantially speed the download up:
    • Go to Options
    • Untick the "P2P Enabled" checkbox in the lower right (the window will change it's look)
    • In the newly created "HTTP Connections" entry, change the number from 1 to something higher (each new HTTP connection on my system resulted in a rough 300kB/s raise in DL speed)

Screenshot for reference: http://i41.tinypic.com/j8l2ts.gif

When it finishes downloading and finally starts installing:
    The installer is defaulting to "C:\Funcom\Anarchy Online" which is fine, just don't install AO in "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" for whatever reason that might come to your mind
    zDD - a Damage/HEALS/Tanks/XP parser
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlain View Post
    yea...the best way to fix messed up game mechanics is by giving up item slots for new 'bug fix items'...like I said before, next we'll get the Staff of Pet Pathing and perhaps an Anti-LD Ring and how about some pants that make it so I don't get forced to autoface my opponent after casting a nano when I'm trying to run away...Combined Developer's Wear of Autoface Resistance, and maybe some new symbs with broken quest resistance, oh, and how could I forget the upgrade to the scuba gear that adds Rubberbanding Resistance...

That solved my issue somewhow, thanks CriticalDmg!
    since 2005

Sorry to necro, but I'm crashing whenever I try to run "AnarchyOnline_18.4.7-Large.exe" on an old PC running windows xp. No other screen come up except the Internal error popup containing
    "ABORT: Certificate Authentication failed, please re-install to correct the problem. (.\winmain.c/261)" What do I do?

Is that the new installer? I just downloaded that the other day and it no longer has a 2gb exe that takes forever to check.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics