Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Engi dps

Top Engi dps

I've been back for a few months now and am trying to get reacquainted with my toons but I'm finding it kinda hard to get back into my Engi. I dont feel like his dmg is very good or pet dmg for that matter.

I'm Looking for a good setup for top pvm dmg. Armor, weapons, and pet buffs. He's 220 with AI20 and probably half done with research. Any help would be much appreciated. Right now he's dual wielding pistols but I'm willing to change anything to push out more dmg.

buff pets, equip dshark and your done
    top dd in game

Quote Originally Posted by Senzatzii View Post
    buff pets, equip dshark and your done
    top dd in game
    Uh, no it's not.

AMEP + mk6 peregrine (my personal preference) or peh'wer with as much dmg gear as you can get your hands on is the best combo going.
    Like so.
    Last edited by MajorOutage; Jul 2nd, 2013 at 05:29:05.
    Because Race Yalm

And then MA engi beats you all.
    Facebook
    Idiots are just like slinkies. It makes you smile when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Undercutting View Post
    Bs isn't where the real pvp happens, tis' where the pvmers' go to feel like they've pvped.
    [Zacyx]: i will perma bann u from MR

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingengi View Post
    And then MA engi beats you all.
    ONLY on boss mobs with no crit resistance.

The thing with MA engies is that first of all, you have to sacrifice everything for +crit and +dmg if you realy want those giant dps numbers.... making it virtualy unplayable (but still fun in the right team).
    But ONLY on mobs with enough hp that you can realy get those critical hits mounting up.
    Most smaller mobs, especialy in a raid situation, will usualy be dead before you can even get to them, let alone start chain criting them.

So in about 90% of situations, a couple of different pistol setups will OD an MA engie.
    Personal favorites would be Amep+dustbrigade pistol+all the crit increase you can get your hands on, or Amep and peregrine with all the +dmg you can get your hands on.
    (again this is assuming that you are sacrificing everything just for the sake of dps experimentation, like i do)

Shark engie is far from top DD, but its also a realy nice weapon for a solo oriented pvm engie, still nicely high dd, great for kiting dread boss's, but not the best overall DD you are going to get.

I'm currently trying to get an envy+Rhat on one of my engies, i'm not sure it can be done, but i *think* it may OD everything, depending on how low i can get the FA recharge.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

envy+rattata sounds cool.

I'm preferential to AMEP+IDBEP +crit setup.

The guns have very nice max dmg+crit, and on RK that setup will be very very fast

too see how much crit is needed to equal base damage from peregrine:

IDBEP dmg range: 300 - 410 (450)
    Peregrine dmg range: 248 - 358 (248)

assuming avg dmg on each weap:
    (300+410)/2 =355
    (248+358)/2=303

28*303=18*C*(355+450)+18*(1-C)*355

Solving for C:

8484 =14490*C + 6390-6390*C
    8484-6390=(14490-6390)*C
    C = 2094/8100 = 26%

So, at equal add dmg, if you have greater than 25% static crit, you're better off with AMEP+IDBEP, rather than AMEP+peregrine.

interestingly, because the damage range is exactly the same for each weapon in terms of delta change, there should be no difference between RK and SL. Meaning, it's 25% crit cutoff in SL or RK and the damage gain will be only be relative to the AC amount, not the crit amount.

If the difference between the two weaps damage range was more/less than the other (both 110), then the one with the greater range would be better in RK with a higher crit cutoff while the one with the greater min dmg would be better in SL at a lower crit cutoff.

a standard setup might have:

3% base crit
    3% on Rshoulder
    2% on igoc
    2% on DB chest
    3% if using a EOE
    15% if using a VTS
    3% if using an ACDC
    2% for each calculator (x2?)
    1% for alb ring
    5% snipers friend
    Other stuff but not usually swappable is 1% in helmet (imo, Gannondorf is better than 1% crit), DB pants 1%, 2x DB sleeves for 2%, and goddess boots for 1% (5%)

for 41% easily achievable without a lot of sacrifices, but up to 46% with some armour swaps.

Obviously OSB's can bring it up another Mop(7%), assassin (7%), TTS (4%, sabre (1%) = 19%

for 60% total, but that would require pre buffing and teaming with a crat.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    Obviously OSB's can bring it up another Mop(7%), assassin (7%), TTS (4%, sabre (1%) = 19%

for 60% total, but that would require pre buffing and teaming with a crat.
    Unless I've gone blind, Assasin's Focus does not stack with MoP.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    assassin (7%)
    AAS is self only.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Noone mentioned bigburger? More fun/interesting than just a burst+fling pistol imo, if you can be bothered for an all out setup.

ya I thought bigburger would have got some mention as well.

I think the normals make up a bigger chunk of damage than a bigburger can contribute, especially with decent crit, and, if not crit, it's easy to cap a fling shot for an extra 10 hits / min.

18 normals+10 flings = 28 hits. If you're cranking 30% crit, that's a huge chunk of damage that would be difficult to be made up by a fiercely demanding setup for FA that will only (and if?) pull the bigburger out ahead.

Lets do a calc:

28 hits at 2k /hit = 56000 dmg/min
    28*.7 *2k + 28*0.3*5k = 81200dmg/min
    if each normal hit on the bigburger is 800 you got 18 normals @ 800 = 14400
    meaning you might need to make up as much as 81200-14400=66800 dmg / min on FA's.

If you got 11s FA recharge, then you need

66800/11/min*1min = 6k FAs on average to make up the lost damage.

afaik, average FA's work out to about 11k-14k depending on team/raid buffs so, ya the birgburger setup should do significantly better.

even more so with an add dmg setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Uaintseenme View Post
    I'm currently trying to get an envy+Rhat on one of my engies, i'm not sure it can be done, but i *think* it may OD everything, depending on how low i can get the FA recharge.
    Is this possible to euqip ?
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Dumonde
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Rank1
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Maxwell
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Zidane
    ..:: 220|28|66|e|::.. Isaak
    ..:: 215|20|56|e|::.. Rumb0
    ..:: 215|15|29|e|::.. Tiesto-1
    ..:: 212|17|46|e|::.. Pulsedriver
    ..:: 210|08|09|e|::.. Unseen

.. :: Punk :: ..

Quote Originally Posted by Dumonde View Post
    Is this possible to euqip ?
    Yes, it is possible to equip both.

FA would be between 40 and 45s, Burst & Fling capped.
    Last edited by sannz; Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:14:03.
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

Hm, why would anyone want to use them? There is no smg perk line even.
    Asasello, Sottcapo, Ciex, Rychu, Ciek, Zomowiec, Ciekafsky, Rysiek, Chinaski, Libertarian, Propertarian.

Cuz they're fun?

Also, 'nade engi represent. \o/ We may not be top DD but our boomsticks are bigger than yours!
    :E

Quote Originally Posted by Ciex View Post
    Hm, why would anyone want to use them? There is no smg perk line even.
    Same reason i have a trox shark engie and the same reason i Have an opi MA engie (granted I have managed to get a little MA support over the last few years)

I'm 12 years in to AO now, I've been an engie since day 1, I realy enjoy them and the fact that pets contribute alot of dd to my profession means i can get away with making unusual and probably idiotic set ups for them, just for the challenge of doing it.

Having said that, I spent many years being told my MA set-up was dumb... then along came BoB's and Shens and suddenly, not so dumb anymore.

My take on it is that you can do all the "on paper" set ups and damage calcs you like, but untill you actualy test these things out in a real game environment, you cant say whats going to work and what isnt.
    A damage calc based off pure numbers doesnt take in to account how quickly one raid mobs dies and you move on to the next, it doesnt take in to account how many bullets you actualy land with each FA on different mobs and AO is the kind of game where what works for one situation, doesnt always work for every other situation.

I was fully aware that my shark engie would be worthless in pvp, i knew it wouldnt be as good dd as my MA engie, but as it turns out, its works for solo farming much much better than my MA engie, with fewer sacrifices and that, to me, makes it a win.

Also, I dont want to be the same as everyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by egadsrk2 View Post
    In the case of this little drama, Party A created a situation. Party B perpetuated it with name calling. Party A finished it with violence...
    I was "party A"

I am about to finish my engi. The question was, before I start gather all stuff neded, which way to go now? I wanted to build max DD setup for solo purposes at first place. Shark looks nice, but what about Xan Shotgun or Granade Shottie? For years I didn't liked MA style characters, and I doubt I will build MA setup now...
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

Imho IDBEP + AMEP crit setup is the best dd setup
    closely followed by bigburger + amep in +dmg/combined commando setup

the rest of the setups suck in comparison. they require greater sacrifices with worse performance

FYI: bigburger FAs are 13kish if you are in all out +dmg setup, but that wont yield 11s FA. or you can have 10-11kish FAs with 11s FA in full auto gear

Quote Originally Posted by Pomidor View Post
    Xan Shotgun or Granade Shottie? For years I didn't liked MA style characters, and I doubt I will build MA setup now...
    The shotgun sucks vs the grenade (grenade has much better support). You can make a pretty decent dmg and CHEAP setup with the pea shooter in a crit-ish setup. And have a ton of HP to help soloing.

Melee sucks. I rest my case.

IDBEP+AMEP is best. You can build a cheaper crit setup for it (dont do igoc in left shoulder etc.) and it works marvelously. The xan hand cannon if you want an even cheaper setup that works
    Last edited by Aramsunat; Jul 10th, 2013 at 19:02:07.
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Quote Originally Posted by Aramsunat View Post
    Imho IDBEP + AMEP crit setup is the best dd setup
    closely followed by bigburger + amep in +dmg/combined commando setup
    Out of the top 4 offhand guns (IDBEP, BB, Mk6, and Peh'wer), there really isn't one that is definitively better in their respective all-out setups. It's pretty purely situational. BB for example is geared more towards fast-moving groups killing low-hp mobs, like an APF raid. As the HP goes up, the FA advantage falls off.

the rest of the setups suck in comparison. they require greater sacrifices with worse performance

IDBEP+AMEP is best. You can build a cheaper crit setup for it (dont do igoc in left shoulder etc.) and it works marvelously. The xan hand cannon if you want an even cheaper setup that works
    Actually, compared to a min-max pistol setup, a top-end crit setup might cost less credits, but it's a good bit harder to live with day to day. When it comes time to buff or tradeskill you're looking at more swapping and less slots to work with, mainly due to EOE and scopes. Which, if you're not willing to do, won't get you over the hump to be toe to toe with the other top options. And then you have bigburger which is the worst of both worlds (cost and swapability).

Min-max pistol FTW.
    Last edited by MajorOutage; Jul 14th, 2013 at 16:13:38.
    Because Race Yalm

Obligatory post from me saying it doesn't matter.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast