Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xyphos.com - End of a Era?

Xyphos.com - End of a Era?

Hello everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I sent a message to Xyphos here on the forum which I haven't gotten any reply on yet - so now I am reaching out here to maybe 1. get Xyphos to read it. 2. For someone that can, will poke him.

In the end of the month I will turn off the hosting for Xyphos.com - If you have any saved equipment configs on the site, you should save theese and move them to some other place.

Xyphos got a more explaining PM to why this is, but there are some reasons behind my decision. I have already locked down all forum parts so no one can type anything anywhere.

Best Regards
    Iriche
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

"Era" may be a bit of a dramatic overstatement, but thanks for the heads up. :P

The only thing I'd be worried about losing is the tools he developed and the posts that have all the information regarding the development/usage of them.
    Trypha - 220/30/70 Engineer - General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypothecary - 220/30/69 Doctor
    Trypocalypse - 220/30/70 Soldier
    Tryptophy - 220 Crat

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Veev View Post
    "Era" may be a bit of a dramatic overstatement, but thanks for the heads up. :P
    If only it was the end of an era of terrible design.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Will this go for http://itemxml.xyphos.com as well? I use it for several VhaBot plug-ins.
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lliers View Post
    Will this go for http://itemxml.xyphos.com as well? I use it for several VhaBot plug-ins.
    Yes most likely, but not at the same time as the main site.

Quote Originally Posted by Iriche View Post
    Yes most likely, but not at the same time as the main site.
    =/

I don't really mind if the domain goes away, but the loss of the service would cripple a couple of my plug-ins.

Would you be able to host the back-end that drives the XML results on one of your other existing hosts (such as aodevs) until a suitable replacement for this service comes on-line?
    Froobalicious General of Barador Arin.

-- Playing AO for six years, still a nuub gimp, and proud of it!

can we have cache version or someone to take it back?
    acutally my best site for twinking...
    In the subway goes the keepers

Quote Originally Posted by Lliers View Post
    =/

I don't really mind if the domain goes away, but the loss of the service would cripple a couple of my plug-ins.

Would you be able to host the back-end that drives the XML results on one of your other existing hosts (such as aodevs) until a suitable replacement for this service comes on-line?
    will keep that domain up long enough for you not to worry

Quote Originally Posted by algoreith View Post
    If someone wants to crawl the whole site, be my guest, the server can take it.

The AOWiki has now been updated to keep ahead of this impending doom. all links using the aodb extension/tag now point to aoitems.com, which is darn near any items linking to an itemdb site.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by algoreith View Post
    Ya I agree with this. I used it all the time to get a relatively up to date database when I'm twinking stuff on, which is searchable for anything that affects a particular stat
    eg. search for all items in db that can buff psychic, can filter by froob, sl expansions, etc...

Whats actually required to host this or even run a local version of it?
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    Ya I agree with this. I used it all the time to get a relatively up to date database when I'm twinking stuff on, which is searchable for anything that affects a particular stat
    eg. search for all items in db that can buff psychic, can filter by froob, sl expansions, etc...

Whats actually required to host this or even run a local version of it?
    What's required isn't the problem, I won't give out the source code or the database without Xyphos written consent

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    The AOWiki has now been updated to keep ahead of this impending doom. all links using the aodb extension/tag now point to aoitems.com, which is darn near any items linking to an itemdb site.
    Thank you SG!

AOU was also updated about a month ago to offer aoitems.com as an option, and has since been set as the default (registered users can still change this to auno.org, aodb.us, or xyphos.com via their profile, and non-registered users can change it via the drop down at the top of each guide).

As it is the only up to date database, we recommend people use it in the guides, but offer the other options for those wanting to see the comments left by others.

Until xyphos.com is no longer available, it is an option for the above reason, but is not the default as it was.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO fansite worldwide - Site Manager || Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

Thank you SG!
    welcome. thanks for letting us know!

- Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

So to the next question: what should happen to the domain?
    Should it just show "This page is dead"
    Should it redirect to other item database, in that case which?
    Any other ideas?

Any other ideas?
    https://aoitems.com perhaps?

It's being actively updated & is a work-in-progress thing, but it looking good so far
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    https://aoitems.com perhaps?

It's being actively updated & is a work-in-progress thing, but it looking good so far
    Have thought abuot it, but don't want to make that decision alone, want feedback on it

Any other ideas?
    all of them! have it be like a "You're about to be redirected to a random AO related site!"

- Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    all of them! have it be like a "You're about to be redirected to a random AO related site!"
    Good idea, if anyone can put together a thingy for that I can just host that file

Sorry to see the xyphos site go. It was very useful for creating a list of items/nanos/perks that boost a skill. The nano check tool was handy. Its quick link AUNO made up for its lacks of comments. His database extract tools where useful when they worked.
    Last edited by JungleGeorgeRK2; Sep 22nd, 2013 at 04:19:00.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast