Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parry and Riposte

Parry and Riposte

I've heard that Parry and Riposte were "tweaked" with SL, is this true? Has anyone tried to use it (max it) and if so have you noticed a difference?

Someone told me ig last night that Parry actually adds a bonus to your evades, not sure about this. Anyone else have info on this?

Also, exactely how does Riposte work?

Last night I raised my parry to like 100 as a test (lvl 25 at the time) well I didn't notice any parries all night.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    T r e e n i
    Level 180 Crat of Rimor
    "You break the mez, you bought the mob."

Okay parry only works when you're dealing with humanoid melee mobs with parryable weapons (swords, staves, etc). Most monsters don't have parryable weapon and so you won't see parry doing much of anything.

Against mobs that can be parried, well I don't remember any extra evades, but you will see a message that 'mob x tried to attack, but was parried.' or something to that effect. So it acts as a second layer of avoidence as opposed to the actual evades which make them miss completely as well.

I'm no expert on Riposte. in fact I barely use it, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Riposte is supposed to be an automatic thing that blocks some damage for a few seconds, recycles then kicks in again. What actually activates it I can only guess is some type of physical non-ranged attack.
    Davias Keltana Jr.
    -----------------------------

I am not my father's son.... I am better

On my honor, my family will be redeemed!
    Savior from the Angels of the Night

Originally posted by Davias Jr.
    Okay parry only works when you're dealing with humanoid melee mobs with parryable weapons (swords, staves, etc). Most monsters don't have parryable weapon and so you won't see parry doing much of anything.
    Ahh thanks for the info, i was not aware of that. Guess I will have to pull some human RK missions to test out parry. As far as Reposte goes, I didn't not see an action button for it so i am inclined to side with you that it happens behind the scenes somehow.
    T r e e n i
    Level 180 Crat of Rimor

Originally posted by Davias Jr.
    I'm no expert on Riposte. in fact I barely use it, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. Riposte is supposed to be an automatic thing that blocks some damage for a few seconds, recycles then kicks in again. What actually activates it I can only guess is some type of physical non-ranged attack.
    I read somewhere that riposte works like a parry, only that it has a lesser change of sucess... The upside is that if an atack is riposted, you get no damage (as in a parry) but you get an automatic free attack.

This information might be very wrong, mind you.

Right now I am in the ToTW, and I am parring left and right, (and being parried), but so far havent seen a riposte...
    Oredor, Clan Adventurer in Rimor
    Golor, Redemmed Keeper on the Shadowlands
    Dunki, Clan NanoTechnician

I've been parried a TON of times myself, which is what made me wonder whether or not is hould max parry/riposte. If i can parry half as much as mobs are parrying me nowadays its well worth it.

Oredor what is your parry and level?
    T r e e n i
    Level 180 Crat of Rimor

I am at work now, so I cant log in to check (if I want to keep my job, that is), But I am on Lvl 42 and parry I think is about 200 (I maxed it out untill a few levels ago, when I realizade I had enough parry to equip a much higher ql weapon than my 2he allowed me)

Riposte is a little bit lower, about 140.
    Oredor, Clan Adventurer in Rimor
    Golor, Redemmed Keeper on the Shadowlands
    Dunki, Clan NanoTechnician

hehe well I'm at work too....but i still play anyway

I just logged in an maxed my parry, ran to ToTW, OMG what a difference, I am parrying like 3-4 per each cultist!
    T r e e n i
    Level 180 Crat of Rimor

<threadjack>

What's ToTW?

</threadjack>

ToTW = Temple of the Three Winds
    T r e e n i
    Level 180 Crat of Rimor

I thought Riposte reflected part of a physical attack's damage back to the attacker, but I'm really just looking for clarification here.
    100% cotton.

Riposte:

1)A quick thrust given after parrying an opponent's lunge in fencing.
    2)A retaliatory action, maneuver, or retort.

From what I recall, or at least how i believ it works (or should) is that when you succesfully parry an attack you have a chance (based on your riposte skill) to either a) turn the attack back on your opponent, or b) you simply get an extra attack.

Again, I am not sure...I think we would all like clarification at this point.
    T r e e n i
    Level 180 Crat of Rimor

Originally posted by Oredor

I read somewhere that riposte works like a parry, only that it has a lesser change of sucess... The upside is that if an atack is riposted, you get no damage (as in a parry) but you get an automatic free attack.

This information might be very wrong, mind you.

Right now I am in the ToTW, and I am parring left and right, (and being parried), but so far havent seen a riposte...
    Oredor is correct. This is a change that came in the 15.whatever patch, originally riposte worked like a crappy reflect shield that you could use every few minutes. Now riposte is supposed to have a check similar to parry but with a lower chance of success, and give a free attack if it succeeds.

I suspect that riposte is broken at the moment and not working, however, so I'm only keeping it as high as I need to get a good weapon on. Parry, on the other hand, works just fine.
    Delia "Aerinyi" Jett
    General of Whisper's Edge
    Atlantean

Keeping parry maxxed and buffed I was parrying just as often as the TOTW mobs by level 45. It's deffinitely effective, and I'm fairly sure that I've parried some non-weapon melee attacks as well (from mobs) but not 100% positive. My take on it is that since parry is green, and offers an extra evade buffer zone, it's worth keeping maxed.
    Making RK2 less safe for everyone...

Ours go to eleven!

I think Riposte is working but just not showing up on chat. Solo a mob and see for yourself...sometimes you'll see a nano attack line saying Mob gets hit for amount of melee damage. Although u need a wpn that has a req of Riposte or else I don't think it works. Have to test it more, was at ToTW soloing Exarchs, with a Tristram. I'll test it more when Atlantean is back up.
    Corran "Thyne" Horn - Level 200 Doctor. Proud Member and Advisor of Band of Brothers, EQP

A couple of experiences

Parry:
    Any attack can be parried, even mob special attacks (And yes, even projectile, energy e.t.c. attacks) when it's high enough to work against the MOB's attack.

Riposte:

This still acts as a damage reflect shield depending on the level it is raised to, just that a shield isn't actually necessary to return the damage to the attacker.

It's all gone automatic as it's been explained already so... it's merely dependant on the levels to which you raise them in so much that the higher level of Fast Attack you have, the more damage you will deal in that attack. Max your riposte, you do more returned damage.
    - Name: Gabriel
    Codename: Malachii -- Former patient of Omni-Reform

Historic Reference File 1
    Historic Reference File 2
    Historic Reference File 3
    Omni-Tek Incident Report 1

Recently released from Omni-Reform, Private of Omni-Pol
    Roleplaying Profile of "Malachii"

ok now for the TRUTH :P hehe

Parry can only happen when both you AND the mob have weapons that have parry flag set in DB.

This is currently is VERY small fraction of mobs. If you want proof of this just head to the subway and fight any mob with one of the steel beams.... Assuming you have a good amount of skill for your level you will likely see 2-3 parrys per fight against these guys, and not a damn one aginst anything else. Next time you will hit a mob with these weapons will be the temple, and here there seems to be a reasonable selection of mbos that have the flag set on....

What also funny is that the mobs that CAN parry back have insanely high parry skill just like from patches of old so you lose so much dmg even against green mobs its just kinda stupid...

Riposte is just plain broke, does not work at all atm that i have ever seen... Not one riposte with skill maxxed in 75 levels...

i went to the patch download page and from there went to the 15.0 patch notes:

parry
    Parrying now depends on the weapons used by the attacker and the defender. Parrying is only possible if the attacker's weapon can be parried, and the defender's weapon is useable for parrying.
    Parry now has a higher chance of success. However, it also requires that you wield a weapon suitable for parrying, and that the incoming attack is performed with a weapon that can be parried.
    riposte
    Riposte has become an automatic skill, just like parry. If you succeed in riposting, you will block the incoming attack and perform an attack of opportunity on the attacker. This attack is instant and free, not interrupting any other actions you may be performing. Riposte is checked before Parry, has a lower base chance of success than Parry, and has the same requirements to defender and attacker weapons as Parry.

so riposte is checked first and can evade an attack and also respond with an additional attack from you to the opponent.

if riposte fails, then parry is checked. parry can also evade the attack.

if parry fails, your normal evades are checked. physical evades have a chance to evade the attack. if evading failed, evades lower your opponent's chance to land a critical hit on you.

Must be the only Keeper to study ancient arts of ...

... bullet evasion. (*chuckle*)

To which I can honestly say that to what has occured. I parry projectile attacks on some occasions, no falsehood in that statement.

- Bladesijn, aka The Ranged Elusive
    - Name: Gabriel
    Codename: Malachii -- Former patient of Omni-Reform

Historic Reference File 1
    Historic Reference File 2
    Historic Reference File 3
    Omni-Tek Incident Report 1

Recently released from Omni-Reform, Private of Omni-Pol
    Roleplaying Profile of "Malachii"

Basically, my feelings on parry and riposte are like this:

They haven't worked, or worked very well, for a long time. Funcom tells us they're fixed, but my main is a fixer, so I'm a bit skeptical. I'll wait for someone ELSE to max out parry and riposte and report good results before I go and do it. At the very most it will be a titlecap consideration, or in order to equip a new weapon. Funcom needs to *prove* that it's working before I'll believe it.

All bets are off, however, in TL5, where the IP gets plentiful for every profession. By then I may very well max out parry and riposte just because 'I should' and hope that someone proves it's working right.
    Aameul - Fixer - RK1
    Hethradiah - Keeper - RK1

I can parry a mantis and several other melee mobs. I can also parry ma's. Only thing you cant parry is ranged attacks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast